Author Topic: Joys and Disappointments of TAR 22  (Read 29680 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: Joys and Disappointments of TAR 22
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »
Joys

-The Cast
-The Route
-Unexpected Boots
-Less Linear Legs that had less of an effect.

Disappointments

-Not enough airport drama.
-The Tasks weren't difficult.
-Alliance Drama

Offline JETandCORDfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »
Joys -

I feel like the best 6 teams of this particular cast made it to the final 6.

I feel like the route was fantastic for this season.

I really liked the finale, but that's just me...

Cons -

I noticed that the editing really wasn't as good as previous seasons. (TAR 16, TAR 17, etc..)

I wish they would bring back old route markers, such as the blind U-Turn, or Yield Marker, or finally, the Intersection.
(I think there should be 1 of these each season, like the fast forward.)

I really just wish they went back and did a season like The Amazing Race was at the very beginning of it's series. Maybe Amazing Race Old School or something...

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »
They did have a blind U-TURN this season...

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
Joys

-Great route  :yess: :yess: :yess:  :yess:
-Cool Tasks!!!!
-Super Final!!!!

Disappointments

-No villians
-Missing Famous landmarks in Edinburgh (The Edinburgh Castle, Grayfriers Bobby, Artuhur's Seat)  and in Belfast (Republican murals on the Falls Road). And they not went to The Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast when they was in Northern Ireland.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
- Oblious Winners of the race.

Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 11:19:20 AM »
Joys:

Very memorable cast.
Generally great locations.
Max & Katie didn't win!

Disappointments:

Pam & Winnie screwed by donkeys.
An alpha-male team won.  I don't like alpha-male teams much.  But they're better than Max & Katie!

Offline zythr

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 11:22:24 AM »
Joys

-Great route  :yess: :yess: :yess:  :yess:
-Cool Tasks!!!!
-Super Final!!!!

Disappointments

-No villians
-Missing Famous landmarks in Edinburgh (The Edinburgh Castle, Grayfriers Bobby, Artuhur's Seat)  and in Belfast (Republican murals on the Falls Road). And they not went to The Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast when they was in Northern Ireland.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
- Oblious Winners of the race.

Well, Max/Katie could be considered a slight villain. Remember when Max loud enough for the viewers to hear that the Bushmen stunk?

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
Silly-alliances where people way ahead u-turned slow teams way behind out of spite. Where's the competition?
All 3 teams in the finale were good.  If you had the chance to u-turn a competitive team would you? Why not?

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »
Well, Max/Katie could be considered a slight villain. Remember when Max loud enough for the viewers to hear that the Bushmen stunk?

They just came across as a bit shallow and snobby.  Very weak villains compared to Art and JJ, or maybe even the twins from last year.  Not that memorable for me, and I'm puzzled they have any popularity. 

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
Reposting this here, because it generally sums up many of my feelings about the season as a whole.

Here's the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for the Finale:

The Good:
  • The Belfast leg was very well designed, featuring a good balance of smarts, luck, and physical skill that, in the end fulfilled its purpose in eliminating the team that was least qualified for the Final 3. Don't get me wrong here though: Caroline & Jennifer were a very likable team that definitely experienced what they were supposed to experience on the Race (see their elimination interview). But they were the weakest team overall (as I've said in the past, they should have been eliminated a long time ago), and probably the main reason Bates & Anthony didn't get U-turned at some point previously.
  • Despite the above, I loved seeing Caroline & Jennifer support each other up to the very end, and get eliminated deservingly but very positively as well. These two were a very positive team, and I respect them a lot more now.
  • I also enjoyed seeing a very real possibility of a comeback from Mona & Beth, which was really making me love the Final Leg. At least until...

The Bad:
  • Once Bates & Anthony passed Max & Katie, the Race was all over. The teams were absolutely and indefinitely set in their positions, making for a "snoozefest" (as Joab said) for the Final Leg.
  • The tasks were very poorly designed on Leg 11 (it's not 12 and I don't care what ANYBODY says on that matter). They were "eye candy" tasks that were meant merely to stimulate the average, casual tv viewer, while failing in every way to create excitement or unpredictability for me (a diehard TAR fan), or to separate the good racers from the great.

The Ugly:
  • Finally (and perhaps this should be a subset of the previous point), the unfulfilled promise to the teams that they would meet the president of the United States. Honestly, I don't know what to say about this. It is very unacceptable, not only to me, but to the teams as well! Turning something that ought to have been a momentous and historic moment into a non-memorable joke is no way to create a truly amazing experience for anyone involved. It also demeans the sacredness of the presidential office (yes, I said it was sacred, even despite the fact I don't respect the man in the office myself. Props to Max for recognizing that.), making it seem as though meeting the President of the United States is merely a cheap, gift-shop-type, tourist event. Conclusion: If you can't get the president to meet with the teams in person then scrap the task entirely, and get a much better one. This lameness could very easily have been avoided.

Okay, I'm done now. On to another great season in the Fall! :lol3:

Disclaimer: I'm sure my post will generate a lot of controversy, as my posts often do. Please remember that these are just my opinions, and there is obviously no real good reason why anyone has to agree with them. I state them without any intention of offending anyone. Remember that being offended is your own personal choice - I can't make you be offended. (Also, on that note, I did indeed choose to be offended about my "The Ugly" bullet-point above.) :lol:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »

They just came across as a bit shallow and snobby.  Very weak villains compared to Art and JJ, or maybe even the twins from last year.  Not that memorable for me, and I'm puzzled they have any popularity.

Yeah, Max & Katie aren't even as villainous as Wil from Season 2, let alone Jonathan the Jerk from Season 6.  But they fit the villainous role here fairly well.

Offline zythr

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 06:23:09 PM »

True, though they were upfront of how they felt about others, not just the other racers.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
Joys:
- The route
- Some good teams (PWgoddesses, Supertan/F, and Chuck & Wynona :hearts:)
- Good boot order (if 5th and 7th place are swapped, it's going to be much better)
- A good and deserving winner
- Self-driving legs
- Awesome scenery

Disappointments:
- Less airport drama
- Some bad teams
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 09:28:24 PM »
ever since Pam & Winnie got the boot, Bates & Anthony was the only competitive team that remained. I don't think Max & Katie would have gotten those three victories had Jessica & John or Pam & Winnie stayed. I feel that the final leg would have been more epic if it had been JJ vs. Hockey vs. Dave & Connor
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline themikko95

• RFF Full Member
  • Kym/Alli for the win!
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »

- Good boot order (if 5th and 7th place are swapped, it's going to be much better)

;)
Dustin/Kandice, Jaime/Cara and Pam/Winnie = goddesses!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
The Ugly:
Finally (and perhaps this should be a subset of the previous point), the unfulfilled promise to the teams that they would meet the president of the United States. Honestly, I don't know what to say about this. It is very unacceptable, not only to me, but to the teams as well! Turning something that ought to have been a momentous and historic moment into a non-memorable joke is no way to create a truly amazing experience for anyone involved. It also demeans the sacredness of the presidential office (yes, I said it was sacred, even despite the fact I don't respect the man in the office myself. Props to Max for recognizing that.), making it seem as though meeting the President of the United States is merely a cheap, gift-shop-type, tourist event. Conclusion: If you can't get the president to meet with the teams in person then scrap the task entirely, and get a much better one. This lameness could very easily have been avoided.

Completely agree. It was this task that put Mona and Beth really behind due to a bad cabby too. :(

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 12:41:29 AM »
The Ugly:
Finally (and perhaps this should be a subset of the previous point), the unfulfilled promise to the teams that they would meet the president of the United States. Honestly, I don't know what to say about this. It is very unacceptable, not only to me, but to the teams as well! Turning something that ought to have been a momentous and historic moment into a non-memorable joke is no way to create a truly amazing experience for anyone involved. It also demeans the sacredness of the presidential office (yes, I said it was sacred, even despite the fact I don't respect the man in the office myself. Props to Max for recognizing that.), making it seem as though meeting the President of the United States is merely a cheap, gift-shop-type, tourist event. Conclusion: If you can't get the president to meet with the teams in person then scrap the task entirely, and get a much better one. This lameness could very easily have been avoided.

Completely agree. It was this task that put Mona and Beth really behind due to a bad cabby too. :(

But Mona & Beth also didn't give the cabby the right address. The clue said 1100 Pennsylvania Ave, but IIRC, they told the cabbie they were going to the White House, which is 1600 Pennsylvania.

That being said, I've been to DC a few times, and one time when I was there on a school trip, I actually did that "photo with the President" thing back when George W. was President, so honestly, I thought it was hilarious that that's what they ended up doing. (Plus it did include the classic TAR "clue on the back of a photo you took" element, so I liked that.)

The only real thing that I can think of this season that really grinds my gears was the fact that they had a luck task in the finale (the spy Roadblock). When there's a million dollars on the line, there's no room for a luck task.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 12:47:47 AM »
When there's a million dollars on the line, there's no room for a luck task.

Yes, or a small area of 50 spies and the same spy or the three spies carrying the brief case are at the same location or what. The key to open the briefcase can also be told to the teams such as in the example.. the total positions you placed in the first 11 legs x 10 and when they open the briefcase, there can be yet another clue which they have to solve or what. I just find the spy task pretty much lame and wasn't half as much fun when we saw it on TAR 8. I think the task should have been more of a memory challenge than a luck/physical task...

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
This is quite late, but the way they changed the traditional positions of each team at the Finish Line bugs me… any classic TAR fan would outright assume that Pam & Winnie were one of the first 2 boots like any weak female-female team (had the fan not watched the season).

I believed this was changed last season… and all mixed up in 19, and normal in 20.

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »
Overall I thought it was a great season. I loved the destinations and the Switchbacks.

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 01:41:35 AM »
Joys:

- Exotic route 
- Great casts
- Self-driving legs
- Night leg

Disappointments:

- Bad editing (final leg) & PREDICTABLE winner
- Luck task in the final leg
- Personal U-Turn
- Dave & Connor got so many air time compared to F3 team (Mona & Beth)  (:;)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.