Author Topic: TAR 22 Ep 10 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **Please read the rules**  (Read 34872 times)

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
DAMN those flights
I say just the opposite. The best incidents of past Amazing Race season have been where teams use their superior sweat equity or special access to get ahead with flights (example - Charla and Mirna flying Warsaw to Kuala Lumpur in AR11). They deserve it!

But is it always that, or that some get crap information and some are just luckier to get good information.  It's the same often with directions on route to a detour / roadblock as well.  Some people know the best way and some don't, you just have to hope you are lucky and meet the right person.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Joey and Meghan behaved like they were on a holiday. -_-

I really don't see that at all, don't know where you got that from.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I believe this means Joey and Meghan are the first team to be U-Turned twice in the same season?

Yes, that's right. I checked on AR12 (when Uturns started) to AR21 and there were no instances of being U-Turned twice.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Joey and Meghan behaved like they were on a holiday. -_-

I really don't see that at all, don't know where you got that from.

Okay, noted.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Overall, this episode was pretty good. Airport drama is always entertaining. I know the castles in Edinburgh are magnificent, but the tasks... not so much. Firstly, the Roadblock was boring despite the unique toughness I like in challenges. Walking around in a square blowing a tune into a bagpipe wasn't very cool. Mona & Beth's bowling Speed Bump was pretty funny when they freaked out in their first tries. The redeeming moment of the episode. The Detour was shockingly good. :stare I didn't like the poet reenactor's haggis remarks as it got annoying, but Caroline & Jennifer is factor that made him tolerable. The whiskey barrel rolling felt like the good ol' TAR days. Feels like something season 14 would have done in one of the Europeab legs. I don't know why, it just feels fun.

I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love to hear good bagpipe music (and the Royal Scots are right up there with the best) anywhere anytime. It made an excellent ROADBLOCK along with the kilts in my opinion.

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
Finally watched the show, and am even more annoyed as I walked past the designated parking area on the royal mile twice and never saw the cars or the flag   :tantrum

AmazingX

Off Topic. Just to let you all know that after lost emails, forgotten passwords and invalid codes, I'm back. For those who know who I am, it is the same me, just re-branded. Even though I was muted, I have kept up with the forum. Great work guys! Great season! Ready to help in spotting Season 23. Greetings... X. 

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Did anybody else think that this Speed Bump was the hardest ever?

No, the Malawi slide puzzle had to be the hardest.

Oh, I forgot about that one.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Off Topic. Just to let you all know that after lost emails, forgotten passwords and invalid codes, I'm back. For those who know who I am, it is the same me, just re-branded. Even though I was muted, I have kept up with the forum. Great work guys! Great season! Ready to help in spotting Season 23. Greetings... X.

:bigwelcome back Xarles!
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
The bagpipe thing was ok but it looked like only one team could do it at a time, I'm really tired of those kind of challenges.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:57:08 PM by starrynight »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective

Xarles...is that YOU? :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
by the way, did you notice during Mona & Beth for Haggis with Clue but you see back boys crew stuff trying give a clue?

I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Overall, this episode was pretty good. Airport drama is always entertaining. I know the castles in Edinburgh are magnificent, but the tasks... not so much. Firstly, the Roadblock was boring despite the unique toughness I like in challenges. Walking around in a square blowing a tune into a bagpipe wasn't very cool. Mona & Beth's bowling Speed Bump was pretty funny when they freaked out in their first tries. The redeeming moment of the episode. The Detour was shockingly good. :stare I didn't like the poet reenactor's haggis remarks as it got annoying, but Caroline & Jennifer is factor that made him tolerable. The whiskey barrel rolling felt like the good ol' TAR days. Feels like something season 14 would have done in one of the Europeab legs. I don't know why, it just feels fun.

I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love to hear good bagpipe music (and the Royal Scots are right up there with the best) anywhere anytime. It made an excellent ROADBLOCK along with the kilts in my opinion.
I wish they showed more of the Roadblock preparations like season 10's classical music sheet Detour choice in Ukraine with Tyler & James and Rob & Kim.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
DAMN those flights
I say just the opposite. The best incidents of past Amazing Race season have been where teams use their superior sweat equity or special access to get ahead with flights (example - Charla and Mirna flying Warsaw to Kuala Lumpur in AR11). They deserve it!

But is it always that, or that some get crap information and some are just luckier to get good information.  It's the same often with directions on route to a detour / roadblock as well.  Some people know the best way and some don't, you just have to hope you are lucky and meet the right person.
In this case it was entirely JM and MB's fault for getting confident and assuming there were no earlier flights. The current rules allow you to book any number of tickets, so why not do your homework and always keep looking for something better?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
DAMN those flights

In this case it was entirely JM and MB's fault for getting confident and assuming there were no earlier flights. The current rules allow you to book any number of tickets, so why not do your homework and always keep looking for something better?

I don't believe that's quite right. I have posted previously on the "Y" class fare, which allows teams instant transferability to any valid alternate routing without penalty (except to the much higher fare that World Race Production has to pay for it). That means teams make multiple reservations if that is feasible, get one ticket and exchange it for another one if a better flight combination comes to their attention.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Welcome back Xarles! You might want to send a PM to TexasLady. She was able to help with an old abandoned account I had and merged it with my current account.

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
Xarles IS back as Xarles! Thanks to Georgia Peach and Texas Lady!!! Thanks for your welcoming, Alenaveda & Plaidmoon. So nice to finally be able to be back in touch. Of course I never took my eyes away from the forum, but was reluctant to open a new account, which I finally did but cancelled it again so I can keep being Xarles with the help of the distinguished ladies from Georgia and Texas!!!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Xarles IS back as Xarles! Thanks to Georgia Peach and Texas Lady!!! Thanks for your welcoming, Alenaveda & Plaidmoon. So nice to finally be able to be back in touch. Of course I never took my eyes away from the forum, but was reluctant to open a new account, which I finally did but cancelled it again so I can keep being Xarles with the help of the distinguished ladies from Georgia and Texas!!!

Welcome back anyway! I always place my passwords in a safely backed up location, even the ones that Firefox won't store. Makes retrieval much easier.
-- theschnauzers

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
by the way, did you notice during Mona & Beth for Haggis with Clue but you see back boys crew stuff trying give a clue?

So it's the crew that decides whether a team is ready to move on in a challenge like that and not those supposed to be judging?  Looks a bit strange.

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member

So it's the crew that decides whether a team is ready to move on in a challenge like that and not those supposed to be judging?  Looks a bit strange.

I think that has probably always been the case. The local "judges" may have some influence but WRP can't let them completely run the race

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
From talking to the folks at the Sheep Heid Inn, Bertram Van Munster was in the pub buying everyone drinks, so if anyone had a say on when to award the clue, I'm guessing it would be him.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
I think that has probably always been the case. The local "judges" may have some influence but WRP can't let them completely run the race

I woudn't describe it as running the race more simply using their expertise to ensure a decision is fair.  I would be happier with them having more say.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
From talking to the folks at the Sheep Heid Inn, Bertram Van Munster was in the pub buying everyone drinks, so if anyone had a say on when to award the clue, I'm guessing it would be him.

I'm not surprised since Bertram is generally around for every leg. The image made me chuckle though. I imagine they had enough barrels of whiskey to keep everyone happy.

Thanks for all the information you dug up for this leg. It really made this leg much more interesting for me (and others I expect).    :hoot: