Author Topic: TAR 22 Ep 9 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **Please read the rules**  (Read 21606 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Lots of foreshadowing chatter about Beth/Mona vs Hockey, and Singers vs Hockey.  ;)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

NoluckBoston

Lots of foreshadowing chatter about Beth/Mona vs Hockey, and Singers vs Hockey.  ;)

If were thinking the same thing, I felt the episode gave a hint at who was going to U-turn who next leg.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
New thread is open, we ca discuss this over there!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
I thought it was obvious that this was going to a non elimination leg, even though it would be so much better if they put those on boring processional legs like the previous one.  So we basically had a bit of drama with navigation and a detour all for nothing.

Othewise quite a good leg, which was a surprise after a slow start with yet another face down rapel, where they were actually just let down and didn't even have to move themselves at all.

Joey and Meghan are pretty good racers if they get decent directions from locals.  And those who say Joey is fake well what about those country singers when they started off, that looked like acting up for the cameras.  And this stupid romance alliance, I hate alliances anyway teams should race for themselves without receiving that much help.  This isn't Survivor, it's The Amazing Race and teams should concentrate on racing.

Oh and the questions were so damn easy (including multiple choice as well), you kind of expect idiot questions like that on these shows I guess.

When I saw it was at night time I was worried there was just going to be another huge bunch up the following morning, but it ended at night which was a relief.

This leg had some good visuals, but thankfully (unlike quite often these days) it didn't just depend on that and actually had what this race is meant to be about (navigation, a detour that wasn't so easy).  Roadblocks could have been more difficult I guess.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:02:38 AM by starrynight »

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
#JustSaying Mona & Beth did not go fool as the hockeys asked them where the clue in the Gate was. They just stopped, told them, and kept on going. They also gave children a great advice during the Roadblock. They are sooooo growing on and on for me. Hope they and Youtubes do it further altogether.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Mona and Beth getting to the pit-stop in 5th was kinda sad... But they were seriously so slow when alighting from their car. I don't know. If I were them, I would go in circles until I lose Bates and Anthony... Justsaying

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I agree, this was a good episode, much better than I was expecting it to be. I thought this looked like a below average leg from the information we had and it was good to be surprised.

I thought the trivia questions were fairly tough. Ronald Reagan made his speech about tearing down the Berlin Wall all at least 25 years ago and Kennedy made his "Ich bin ein Berliner!" statement over 50 years ago. Since most of the racers are under 30 or just over it, they probably weren't old enough to remember them. I'm not sure those speeches get much coverage in schools these days. I knew the first two questions in the Ford because I'm over 40 and have a bit of an interest in history and politics, but for the third question, I would have had to guess about where it was said.

As for the Kennedy statement, I knew that one because I had heard that to the people of Berlin, they don't call themselves Berliners. A Berliner is what they call a jelly filled doughnut. So, when Kennedy tried to say "I am a Berlin citizen!", it came out as "I am a jelly filled doughnut!" I thought that was funny, so I remembered it. I wouldn't expect most people to know that and remember the line. Good story, however I looked it up in Wikipedia just now and it says that the statement is grammatically correct and that my remembered story was wrong.

By the time Mona went to the bar to ask who said the statement after all the earlier teams had done so, I half expected it to go like this:

Mona: "Who said ..."

15 or 20 bar patrons: "John F. Kennedy!"

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
I remember watching Kennedy's speech on Walter Cronkite. There was no controversy at the time. That didn't start till about 20 years later. You can speak Deutsch two different ways. Familiar or Formal. Familiar to family and close friend. Formal to anyone not in those groups. If Kennedy had been sitting on the lawn at Hyannis Port and said that.......then it would have meant he was a jelly donut. But he was making a very major speech, so it was very formal and meant he was saying that he was a citizen of Berlin.

The speech was in front of the Rathaus Schöneberg, which was the West Berlin City Hall. Estimates of almost a half a million people were there to hear the speech. There wasnt then or even now much room to cram that many people in there. A couple of months after Kennedy died, they renamed that area John F Kennedy Platz.

Reagen's speech was on a stage built right in front of the Brandenburg Gate, so he could see and be seen by people on both sides of the wall.

As a little note, that clue box was right in front of the U. S. Embassy, built after the reunification of Germany in the 90s.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Stylemikro

• RFF Not So Newbie
Really amazing episode.

And the 3 hours lead...i think somthing is missing there, they (CBS) wouldn't provide that information with 1 week ahead. I am possible sure that all the teams will caught up to each other...They usually trick the viewers with these informations (remember "It is all come down to donkeys").

Btw I hope Mona and Beth can pass this obstacle, they should be more sneaky and they should mislead the hockey players.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Phil can still pull off a stone cold fakeout :lol:

Oh yes he can.  You never know when you're done or not. No more struts to the pitstop!

He's used the same fakeout for a few seasons now though.  All teams should know when he starts saying 'you've had a tough day' that means it's a non-elimination.  For an elimination he always just goes straight to the point and tells someone they are out.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Phil can still pull off a stone cold fakeout :lol:

Oh yes he can.  You never know when you're done or not. No more struts to the pitstop!

He's used the same fakeout for a few seasons now though.  All teams should know when he starts saying 'you've had a tough day' that means it's a non-elimination.  For an elimination he always just goes straight to the point and tells someone they are out.

Could be editing... or that's what I've always suspected.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Of course, but if it is that they could always edit it differently.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I thought it was odd that just before they showed the teams arriving at the train station in Dresden they showed a clip of a Lufthansa plane landing.
Sloppy editing or was there some sort of travel shenanigans going on?
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
I thought it was odd that just before they showed the teams arriving at the train station in Dresden they showed a clip of a Lufthansa plane landing.

Didn't they train from Interlaken to Munich (via Basel) and then fly to Dresden from Munich?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

I thought the trivia questions were fairly tough. Ronald Reagan made his speech about tearing down the Berlin Wall all at least 25 years ago and Kennedy made his "Ich bin ein Berliner!" statement over 50 years ago. Since most of the racers are under 30 or just over it, they probably weren't old enough to remember them. I'm not sure those speeches get much coverage in schools these days. I knew the first two questions in the Ford because I'm over 40 and have a bit of an interest in history and politics, but for the third question, I would have had to guess about where it was said.

As for the Kennedy statement, I knew that one because I had heard that to the people of Berlin, they don't call themselves Berliners. A Berliner is what they call a jelly filled doughnut. So, when Kennedy tried to say "I am a Berlin citizen!", it came out as "I am a jelly filled doughnut!" I thought that was funny, so I remembered it. I wouldn't expect most people to know that and remember the line. Good story, however I looked it up in Wikipedia just now and it says that the statement is grammatically correct and that my remembered story was wrong.

What John F. Kennedy should have said was "Ich bin Berliner" ("I am a citizen of Berlin"). The world would have lost one of history's most comic moments if he had got it right.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
They didn't show arrival at Dresden rail station. Teams changed at Interlaken Ost and arrived at Basel before switching to planes. See the Transportation thread for what actually happened. It was quite clear from the Amazing Line.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
They didn't show arrival at Dresden rail station. Teams changed at Interlaken Ost and arrived at Basel before switching to planes. See the Transportation thread for what actually happened. It was quite clear from the Amazing Line.
That'll teach me to watch with 2 tired kids who (by the way) did hog all of the popcorn.
After re-watching I realize I missed the subtle change of the Amazing Line from red to blue which apparently signifies a change in transportation mode.
Still think it strange that it wasn't mentioned in the episode.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Dont feel bad WP. I spent about 3 hours trying to work out train schedules between Basel and Munich. I did catch the flying from Munich to Dresden........but sure missed the flying from Basel to Munich.
Matthew 7:15