Author Topic: pre-TAR 23 speculation  (Read 120034 times)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Re: pre-TAR 23 speculation
« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2013, 09:28:07 AM »
It would be a nice present if they started filming on his birthday. :lol:

Offline scARCYty

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #251 on: May 30, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »
It would be. But imagine Phil doing that. He has just arrived from London, and then starts the race at the exact moment.  :iok

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #252 on: May 30, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »
Hello, all! An old member here, decided to make a new account after a extended hiatus.

Hi DavidJunior! I remember you. Welcome back! :hello2:

It would be. But imagine Phil doing that. He has just arrived from London, and then starts the race at the exact moment.  :iok

I could see them starting this Saturday. If he wasn't riding a bike in France then he shouldn't get too tired.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline jlim201

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #253 on: May 30, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »
Are there any countries we absolutely know or can rule out that will not be visited in tar 23?

Afghanistan
Iraq
Iran

:res:
and even:
North Korea
Syria
Somalia
Libya
Cuba
Mali
Uganda
Rwanda
Burundi

(going into obscurity :lol: )

These are some countries I can find that are dangerous
Congo
Yemen
Nigeria
Algeria
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Bulgaria
All of Rural Colombia
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:03:19 PM by jlim201 »

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #254 on: May 30, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
My thoughts on Western Europe:

Possibility: Definite
Most people are saying that the Western half of Europe has been way over-used and is need of a rest, at least for one season. Although I do agree that it has been used quite extensively recently- especially the "Big 5" (Spain, France, England, Italy, Germany), I don't believe they are quite finished with the region, nor with featuring at least one of those big names. Let's look at the possibilities:

The U.K. can be ruled out because it was featured heavily last season, and though the country of Ireland wasn't used, the island was, so I'd put my money of that being skipped this year too. Possibility: Unlikely

Germany doesn't seem likely, however, WRP has really enjoyed visiting the country these recent years with 4 visits since season 14 (S14 Leg 2, S16 Leg 4, S20 Leg 5, and S22 Leg 9). This doesn't include the midleg clue in the Hamburg train station while teams were travelling from Denmark to Belgium. I would not be surprised in the slightest if this country still managed to be squeezed in there. Possibility: Unlikely

France seems unlikely since it's been featured quite a few times and has been used as recently as season 21. Possibility: Unlikely

Spain finally got featured again since season 10 and looks open to continue hosting teams, however the fact it was used in season 21 makes me unsure of it being used again already- especially since it took so long to get a revisit originally. I will tack on Portugal to the Spain talk, much like I did with Ireland in the U.K. section. I don't really see where all the Portugal hype is coming from. I think that it could host another leg, but I feel like there are several better options that WRP would look to first before attempting a return visit to the small Iberian nation. Possibility: Outside chance

Alpine Countries: Very Unlikely. Switzerland just used, and Austria has been featured a couple times within the last 10 seasons.

Benelux is another region with a shot of making a return on this season. Personally, I think the Netherlands is the least likely of the three- it looks like they're running out of ideas with using that Switchback with mediocre results. Belgium/Luxembourg are more likely, however, I don't think they're very likely for similar reasons as Spain. I think Belgium was used too recently given the number of previous visits (none), and the fact that they weren't the most successful in design or viewership. Possibility: Outside chance

Scandanvia/Far North: The only one I could maybe see from here is Iceland. I could see them doing a S6-esque opening leg there and continuing on to another European country. However, if they start by heading to Latin America, I would rule Iceland out. Possibility: Likely (Iceland), Unlikely (Scandanavia)

That leaves only one country: Italy
Italy (to me) seems to be the most likely and most obvious answer to where the race will visit this season. Though it was used as recent as S20, that was it's first and only visit since Florence in S12. Outside of Spain, it has been the most underused major country in recent seasons. It's a great country filled with it's own unique culture and several subcultures within. Possibility: Highly Likely. Possible cities/regions:

1. Rome/Vatican City- Way overdue for another visit that actually stays within the city. Hasn't been used at all since season1 and that wasn't even a full leg. The Vatican City is overdue as well, and could house a Route Info, task, or maybe even a pit stop.

2. Naples/Vesuvius/Capri- Great region, beautiful landscapes, and much different from Northern Italian big cities *cough cough* Milan/Turin *cough*

3. Venice- Would look very nice in HD, and is great jumping off point to get to Slovenia/Northern Croatia, which both seem ready for a visit.

4. Sardinia- they've been to Sicily, so why not?

5. Tuscany- with more tasks out in the vineyards or along the countryside

I could see any two of these options make it on for two legs in Italy.

Final thoughts: Look out for Italy, maybe Iceland, and maybe Belgium in Western Europe.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:14:42 PM by DavidJunior »

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #255 on: May 30, 2013, 06:48:54 PM »
Are there any countries we absolutely know or can rule out that will not be visited in tar 23?

Afghanistan
Iraq
Iran

and even:
North Korea
Syria
Somalia
Libya
Cuba
Mali
Uganda
Rwanda
Burundi

Congo
Yemen
Nigeria
Algeria
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Bulgaria
All of Rural Colombia
Central African Republic
Chad
Niger
Cyprus
Guatemala
El Salvador
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »

Afghanistan
Iraq
Iran

and even:
North Korea
Syria
Somalia
Libya
Cuba
Mali
Uganda
Rwanda
Burundi

Congo
Yemen
Nigeria
Algeria
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Bulgaria
All of Rural Colombia
Central African Republic
Chad
Niger
Cyprus
Guatemala
El Salvador

Bulgaria?

How is Bulgaria dangerous?

Cyprus?

How is Cyprus dangerous? I mean, if Portugal can be discussed and Spain can be discussed, why not Cyprus?

Guatemala?

Didn't you go there recently? And I'm guessing your organisation wouldn't actively transport people into dangerous nations.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »
Bertram said Guatemala wasn't feasible to visit.

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
In Guatemala we had high security, and were in a safe region. In the major cities, Americans are major crime targets simply because we have a good amount of money compared to them, and the expensive camera equipment would make that target bigger. And Cyprus is in a huge economic struggle, and also has a Greek vs Turkish conflict in the North

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #259 on: May 30, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
In Guatemala we had high security, and were in a safe region. In the major cities, Americans are major crime targets simply because we have a good amount of money compared to them, and the expensive camera equipment would make that target bigger. And Cyprus is in a huge economic struggle, and also has a Greek vs Turkish conflict in the North

The Greek vs Turkish is way over stated. Its safer then the Korean border imo.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »

The Greek vs Turkish is way over stated. Its safer then the Korean border imo.

It is actually astonishingly safe. It's ultimately like any other controlled border, and there are quite a few. The UN have managed to tone down the hatred between the Greek and Turkish sides of the conflict, and economic problems don't matter either, because Italy and Spain both had massive economic problems and they were visited, so that isn't a viable reason.

Offline NiceGuy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2013, 01:15:39 AM »
They should be starting this weekend, correct?  I'm so excited!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2013, 07:15:35 AM »
Nope.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
Quick thoughts on Eastern Europe

Possibility: Highly Likely
The region has been glossed over recently and is ready to be revisited.

Likelihood of particular sub-regions (most to least):

1.) Central Europe- It is one of the more politically, socially, and economically stable areas in the Eastern Bloc, so it should be safe and easy for teams to travel to/through there. To me Hungary seems the most likely of the 5 (Poland, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia), with a potentially amazing Switchback task with the spicy soup Roadblock (S6). Slovenia would be next, especially if they go to North-Eastern Italy- its a great country that is also part of the E.U. and would be a new country. Poland is a maybe in my book; of the remaining two, I would put a Slovakian visit as more likely than a return to the Czech Rep.

2.) Balkan Peninsula- Not as strong infrastructure as Central Europe, but several locations can still feasibly host a leg. Montenegro, Croatia, and even Bosnia are the most likely bets for a leg from here. Romania, I don't think will get a return any time soon, Albania and Macedonia are probably too small and forgettable to most viewers for WRP to consider them, and there has been some recent civil unrest in Greece and Bulgaria which might make production a little cautious about traveling there (otherwise, those two are great options as well). Serbia is the least likely to me, especially with the whole Kosovo situation- don't want to go somewhere that's the middle of a very heated and touchy political subject and step on anyone's toes, again (the Hanoi debacle).

3.) Baltic States- Latvia seems most likely since it's the only one to not have been visited. Finland would be next, since it seems the most likely to host another leg or two. I really don't ever expect a return to Estonia or Lithuania. Overall, I don't think this region is likely to make it on this season.

4.) Russia and the Former Soviets- Russia just got a visit in S21, so don't really expect it again yet (except maybe some cities in the Far East). Ukraine could likely host a few legs, but I don't think it will yet. Belarus and Moldova don't seem super feasible yet either, IMO. Overall, I think the fact that this general region has little to no political relationships with the EU may hinder travel to them a little bit. It's much easier and less expensive to travel through the EU, than bounce around between it and non-EU members (obviously this hasn't stopped the race before, but it is a factor, even if it's slight). Infrastructure isn't good in some of these.

Final thoughts: SOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUP

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
TAR: Original Recipe is very conservative in its country selection. We haven't even gotten Israel when, IIRC, TAR:Australia has gone there.

On the flip side, they've never had to get evacuated from a country by US Marines while filming like Anthony Bourdain has. (Related topic- catch his Libya episode next time it shows up on CNN- it's a really excellent look at that country post-Gadaffi)

I also think that Cuba is out for political reasons, given the fuss we had over content of the Vietnam leg last season. It would be nice to see a Miami or Texas start though that would give us a Caribbean/Central American/South American first country that's a bit off the beaten path. How about a Trinidad or Suriname?

Offline marylandboy234

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »
@vepmes

Just saw a @newhot899 Race to the Altar couple tied together running past. How exciting!! Looks like the Amazing Race lol

MrDeerShank

« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2013, 05:46:25 PM »
@vepmes

Just saw a @newhot899 Race to the Altar couple tied together running past. How exciting!! Looks like the Amazing Race lol

@newhot899 is a Twitter for a radio station so very unlikely it's the real thing

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2013, 08:47:34 PM »
It's not. :)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline NiceGuy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2013, 12:07:10 AM »
Nope.

oh lol sorry.  Bummer, I was ready to see some pix!  :hoot:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2013, 12:07:45 AM »
Me too!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2013, 12:34:40 AM »
I know it says no dream routes,  but I have to!

Leg 1: Phoenix, AZ, USA (Home town respect, but it'll probably be LA) > Nassau, Bahamas (I know Bora Bora was just visited, but this place NEEDS to be visited!)

Leg 2: Nassau, Bahamas > Quito, Ecuador (Quito city leg)

Leg 3: Quito, Ecuador > Napo Province, Ecuador (Amazon leg)

Leg 4: Napo Province, Ecuador > Lisbon, Portugal (Lisbon city leg)

Leg 5: Lisbon, Portugal > either Malta, Monaco, or Sardinia (this region is way underused)

Leg 6: either Malta, Monaco, or Sardinia > Krakow, Poland (Krakow city leg)

Leg 7: Krakow, Poland > surrounding Polish countryside, Poland (possibly copy from the Australian or Israeli tars)

Leg 8: Polish countryside, Poland > Astana, Kazakhstan (this proves my point of how awesome this place is: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/02/astana/ludwig-photography)

Leg 9: Astana, Kazakhstan --> Yangon, Myanmar (Myanmar needs to be visited)

Leg 10: this leg will either be a second leg in Myanmar or the first leg in China

Leg 11: southern China (not Guilin, but other really cool places like Zhangjiajie or Wulong County)

Leg 12: southern China --> Seattle, WA, USA
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2013, 12:35:49 AM »
I know it says no dream routes,  but I have to!

Leg 1: Phoenix, AZ, USA (Home town respect, but it'll probably be LA) > Nassau, Bahamas (I know Bora Bora was just visited, but this place NEEDS to be visited!)

Leg 2: Nassau, Bahamas > Quito, Ecuador (Quito city leg)

Leg 3: Quito, Ecuador > Napo Province, Ecuador (Amazon leg)

Leg 4: Napo Province, Ecuador > Lisbon, Portugal (Lisbon city leg)

Leg 5: Lisbon, Portugal > either Malta, Monaco, or Sardinia (this region is way underused)

Leg 6: either Malta, Monaco, or Sardinia > Krakow, Poland (Krakow city leg)

Leg 7: Krakow, Poland > surrounding Polish countryside, Poland (possibly copy from the Australian or Israeli tars)

Leg 8: Polish countryside, Poland > Astana, Kazakhstan (this proves my point of how awesome this place is: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/02/astana/ludwig-photography)

Leg 9: Astana, Kazakhstan --> Yangon, Myanmar (Myanmar needs to be visited)

Leg 10: this leg will either be a second leg in Myanmar or the first leg in China

Leg 11: southern China (not Guilin, but other really cool places like Zhangjiajie or Wulong County)

Leg 12: southern China --> Seattle, WA, USA
Post it on the wishlist thread in the Discussion board. :)

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2013, 12:37:22 AM »
Great route! There is a wishlist thread here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15213.1625.html in case you want to make more in the future. You're new here, so it's alright.

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2013, 12:39:07 AM »
Great route! There is a wishlist thread here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15213.1625.html in case you want to make more in the future. You're new here, so it's alright.

Thanks! Sorry, I'll do that in the future next time :)
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2013, 01:39:18 AM »
Africa, Africa, Africa

Keeping it really short:

Possibility: Unlikely
Been used a lot recently, producers will most likely want to rest it to avoid it becoming too repetitive/dull

Only way is if they use unique cultures/regions, like:

1.) Ethiopia- It's East Africa, which has been used a lot recently (Seychelles S16, Malawi S19, Tanzania S20), but it's ETHIOPIA. It's a culture and a people all it's own. A revisit has been long overdue.

2.) Western Central Africa- Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Rep. of Congo could all see visits. It could be the Africa that we know and love, but with a more tropical/jungle-y twist.

3.) South Africa and either Lesotho or Swaziland- The only way this will work is if they don't do the typical "we're in Africa, let's look at the poverty and the people who still live in huts! Oh, and ANIMALS!" kind of visit. More metropolitan stuff, more extreme things (world's highest bungy in Port Elizabeth), more music and culture.

Final thought: Don't be surprised if we don't see Africa this season, or maybe even next, but still keep an eye out.