Author Topic: pre-TAR 23 speculation  (Read 120027 times)

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: pre-TAR 23 speculation
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »
From an interview in the 'hil in the news' thread.

I am about to embark on the biggest physical and mental challenge of my life and trust me I will be fueled by my No Opportunity Wasted Energy Bar. In July I will leave Paris to travel around France on a 1928 bicycle. I will average 150 miles a day for 22 days to honor the Australasian team who rode the Tour de France.  Proceeds from my film will go to MS. This is hands down the hardest thing I have attempted to do in my life so far!!!

If Phil is planning to ride around France in July then that must mean that TAR filming is complete by then. Which means it should start filming soon...
I think they are gonna start in late May!!!!
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2013, 06:05:38 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they started slightly earlier than usual considering Season 22 started slightly earlier than usual.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. We had the season 12 Anchorage finale heavily spoiled. :tup:

Portland, Oregon will make a nice starting city. No spoilers for sure.

:lol3: Good one!

Portland doesn't have much in nonstop international flights, the only nonstop internationals other than Canada are Tokyo and Amsterdam on Delta Airlines.  Portland is better off as a finish line city anyway.  Seattle has a better chance as a starting line city due to SeaTac Airport has more international service to Asia and Europe.
TAR23 Filming could start sometime either this weekend or afterwards.
I have a feeling they might start in a Texas city (most likely Houston) or Detroit because they also provide airline services internationally. Houston's intercontinental airport is known for traveling to all continents except Antarctica (obviously :res: ) I suggest keeping a watchdog in Houston because I see it as a starting line location and not a finish line location. It hasn't even been featured.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
I think the starting line might be in Miami. In S20 when the went to South American, IIRC, the flew from LA to Miami and then on their way, so maybe production can skip the domestic flight in the US and start in Miami. Miami also has many flights to Europe as well and we are due for the first leg to be in Europe.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »
I think the starting line might be in Miami. In S20 when the went to South American, IIRC, the flew from LA to Miami and then on their way, so maybe production can skip the domestic flight in the US and start in Miami. Miami also has many flights to Europe as well and we are due for the first leg to be in Europe.
Not being rude, but Miami is about as :groan: as a starting line location in L.A. County again. We've all seen Los Angeles or Miami featured in some way or another including airport arrivals for nearly every season now since TAR10.

It's like exercising in the same routine week by week. I kind of want something fresh in TAR23 since we all know viewership has been shrinking over the years and I want a route that will "pop" like the famous U.S. to Japan leg in TAR15 or TAR10's double elimination (1/2 point and full meter).

I have a gut feeling spec that WRP may start in a new state, but if it's wrong, good luck, because 23 is usually the number people forget in counting.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
I would love a Texas start. Historic Galveston. Sam Houston Statue in Walker county. Battle Ship Texas. Any for a Houston start.
San Antonio for the Riverwalk (La Villita) or the Alamo start. Would have to likely fly to Mexico though.
No I do not live in Texas.

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2013, 03:55:34 AM »
because 23 is usually the number people forget in counting.

Oh I'm sure that has a major impact on how WRP is planning this season :res:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »

LOLL

But seriously I think we are due for an East Coast start.

S11 = Miami
5 straight in La
S17 = Boston
5 straight in La
S23 = Non La start?

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2013, 02:43:25 PM »
Detroit as a finish city would make sense. They're one of the few significant US international airports TAR hasn't used yet, you get a lot of daylight filming hours this time of year, and there are a good number of nice places in the area where they could film tasks in relative privacy.

Plus the headquarters of one of the race's sponsors. ;)

LA has been in every season since All-Stars, and I just don't see S23 will be any different. S17 was the exception, only because they wanted use LA as the finish line city for a change.

I predict the starting line will be in the Inland Empire, if they were to consider starting outside of the LA area. A starting line task, then drive Ford Fusions to LAX.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
Yeah... Unless the powers that be are really adventurous, the start point's going to be in LA.
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2013, 04:52:59 PM »

LOLL

But seriously I think we are due for an East Coast start.

S11 = Miami
5 straight in La
S17 = Boston
5 straight in La
S23 = Non La start?

Cool data, but with almost 50 people to travel (teams, cameramen, soundmen, Phil...) it is just that WRP searches for the cheapest way to do things. If LAX is easier to connect their flight, do not doubt about it.

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
Another Texas final is long overdue. San Antonio or Houston though.
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline themikko95

• RFF Full Member
  • Kym/Alli for the win!
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »
Um, what's wrong with an LA start? We only get to see it for the first 15 mins of the first episode anyway.  :) And what I care more about is a non LA finish .

Dustin/Kandice, Jaime/Cara and Pam/Winnie = goddesses!

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2013, 11:08:35 PM »
Um, what's wrong with an LA start? We only get to see it for the first 15 mins of the first episode anyway.  :) And what I care more about is a non LA finish .

I was just going to post this. :lol:

I'd be worried that a non-LA start would mean an LA Finish Line, like TAR17.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »
The only way I would see a non-LA start, is if the entire first leg would take place in that city, just like in TAR Asia. But we all know that will never happen in the US edition, as we would react the same way as Marion Paolo did during the middle of *that* season.  :)

Same here. While I still don't like the LA starts, but have learned to accept it, since we don't really see much of it, since it's mainly about the start of a new race.

Besides, when they did start in the Boston area in S17, we did not really get to see much of it either. Kind of a waste, since it was the race's first ever visit to New England. But hopefully, it will be visited again in the final leg of a future season.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »
I believe that Phil's grueling bike ride around France means that AR23 will be run and filmed before July.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »
I remember it starting memorial day weekend last year, so I would expect around the same time frame this year.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
Another Texas final is long overdue. San Antonio or Houston though.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
I just want them to take off ASAP so we can chase them down.  :lol3:

Also , i don't think it's in LA again. I hope we can see another location , maybe leaving LA for a final leg or something like this...

My prediction for a final city : Anchorage (i really hope they get back there soon)
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2013, 01:37:48 PM »
Phil tweeted this today.

Reflective heading 2 France 2nite + just realized I dropped my daughter off at school for the last time, next up college! @nooppwasted</p>&mdash; Phil Keoghan (@PhilKeoghan) 17. mai 2013
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:41:34 PM by Oddarane »
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
Nm.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2013, 11:12:12 PM »
FWIW: Next weekend (Fri-Mon, the 24th-27th) is Memorial Day weekend in the U.S.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
Early june than...?
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2013, 02:38:13 PM »
No, it's just production likes to start on Memorial Day Weekend.

Offline kathleenykl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2013, 01:50:56 AM »
On destinations:
I am almost 100% locked on onto Malaysia. It's been 6 seasons and one of the cheapest SE Asia destinations, with just enough to keep it fresh every visit. We could look at Eastern peninsular malaysia (Kuantan/Kota Bharu) or Western/Southern (Ipoh/Malacca/ Penang again why not?) or Kuching/Miri/Kota Kinabalu on Borneo. Our Malaysia fans should keep an eye out this season.

Legs in China are almost always interesting, so count that in for TAR23. They might explore Southern China due to convenient connection by Hong Kong. Cities such as Guangzhou, Xiamen, Haikou/Sanya on Hainan island. If they transit by Shanghai, it would be Suzhou, Hangzhou, Wuxi & the UNESCO Huangshan in neighbouring Anhui province. I do not think they will do a leg in/around the northern part i.e. via Beijing. The only possibility would be Harbin/Shenyang to connect into Russia's eastern edge, or Inner Mongolia/Xinjiang to connect to Mongolia. Count Chengdu out.

Also, Cambodia for the same reasons as Malaysia. Though it would be freaking hot!! The last time it was visited was the Zev & Justin passport disaster leg IIRC. And that was just Phnom Penh. Siem Reap has lots to show in the 10 seasons since its Race visit. And in between the 2 cities, Baray, Kampong Cham, Preah Vihear (UNESCO temple) could be an additional leg in the same way producers like to have Phuket/Chiang Mai as an additional leg when visiting Thailand.

I could envision 2-3 legs in Mongolia/Irkutsk/Lake Baikal region in seasons to come. That is a region yet to be explored. Vladivostok/ROK/Japan might be a stretch due to their proximity to DPRK. Singapore and Philippines are about time too, even if it was just 1 Manila city leg. It would truly surprise me in a good way if the race went to Myanmar, or Nepal.

On Europe: I don't think they can skip this continent entirely. Like Asia, when cultures are so different and in Asia's case when 2/3 of the world resides there, it's not really a "Race around the world" if you don't visit it.
Very low chances of TAR23 going to: France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland
Moderate chances: Spain (least likely Barcelona due to S21), Czech Republic, Sweden, Finland
High chances: Portugal, Hungary, Baltic states, Former Yugoslavia states - you get where i'm going with this

On start/end cities:
Have they ever done Philly?
Just for the random lulz -> Wichita, KS - "aviation capital of US"
Dover, Delaware
New Orleans
Galveston
Denver
Boise
Kansas City
Dallas