Author Topic: TAR 22 Ep 5 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **Please read the rules**  (Read 31714 times)

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
It doesn't.

MrDeerShank

I dislike u-turns that are personal. Strategy is better and can have an effect on who continues.
You-tube's was strategic, as they could only guess who was behind. Pam and Winnie wasted their u-turn,
might they regret that later?

It is possible that Pam & Winnie have not wasted their U-Turn, because we still don't know if a Blind U-Turn wastes a team's Courtesy of Photo.

I hope not, otherwise Pam/Winnie's U-Turn decision was appalling especially for them

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I dislike u-turns that are personal. Strategy is better and can have an effect on who continues.
You-tube's was strategic, as they could only guess who was behind. Pam and Winnie wasted their u-turn,

It is possible that Pam & Winnie have not wasted their U-Turn, because we still don't know if a Blind U-Turn wastes a team's Courtesy of Photo.

It doesn't.

Yeah, but that was back when they still carried photos. They might have changed the rules since the U-Turn board became electronic.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Re: Re: That leg was just so nonsense and boring. (LEG 6 QUESTIONS)
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »
1. No, no, and no. I think several of the tasks they used in Vietnam were insulting to every American and especially to anyone who served during that war. Having the U-Turn located next to a shrine for a US plane that was shot down was particularly offensive. It was propaganda at it's very worst and CBS ought to be ashamed. My wife and I have watched this show every year it has been on and I don't think any leg of any season affected me as negatively as that one did.

You should definitely re-watch Season 3 and check out Ian's perspective on Vietnam. Also, how is showing the B-52 monument more disrespectful and offensive than showcasing the memorial of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings?

On a note that is only somewhat related, that ridiculous performance they had to watch could definitely be said to be propaganda in the U.S. Also, whose terrible idea was it to make that song the music playing in the episode credits? C'mon CBS, I want to see the epic credits music come back!

(See Season 12 Episode 6 for an excellent sample. That song gave me goosebumbs, and sadly, I haven't heard it on the show since.)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

I hope not, otherwise Pam/Winnie's U-Turn decision was appalling especially for them

The last time an Anonymous UTurn was used it did not take away the right for a team to use a regular UTurn. I remember it being done in AR14 by Margie/Luke in episode 4. They did not get a later regular UTurn opportunity, but I recall that they would have able to use it if there was one open to them. Another example of an Anonymous UTurn being nulified without effect was in AR21 when Gary/Wil attempted to do so to Rob/Kelley, who were already ahead of them at that point.

We do not know if the rules allow anyone using an Anonymous UTurn to later use a regular UTurn in AR22 or not. If Pam/Winnie do not get that opportunity, then I agree that their decision to use an Anonymous UTurn to try to eliminate a team their alliance does not like was a poor one.

I think it is instructive that Max/Katie, who were members of the alliance with Pam/Winnie, did not use the second Anonymous UTurn on Mona/Beth even though they had the opportunity to. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:04:05 PM by apskip »

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Max & Katie arrived at the U-Turn board 4th, 2 placements below Joey & Meghan who were the second team at the board.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Best Loser,
You are right. When Joey/Meghan activated the second U-Turn it was no longer available for Max/Katie.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Dave and Connor, 5.01am.
Pam and Winnie, 5.21am.
Max and Katie, 5.25am.
Max: If we did it on Jess and John, we will be smoking out the EP. :lol3:
Joab: They smoked themselves out.

Caroline and Jennifer, 720am. (WOW)
Whiney and Meghan, 906am.
Mona and Beth, 912am.
Bates and Anthony, 914am.
Chuck and Wynona, 923am.

Max and Katie first team we see out of the airport. Max and Katie, Dave and Connor and Pam and Winnie are on Flight 1 through SINGAPORE. (For 2 legs in a row we see Singaporeeeee!)

And the rest are on KL Flight.

AT 7.34PM Max and Katie are first and HoO from 9am to 6PM. (BUNCHINGGGG)

Pamela and Winnie: Your tan is totally cool. Them and Max and Katie making friends.... hmm!

Max totally laughing at J/J eliminated with EP. <33333333333333333333

Moms and Whiney and Meghan are shocked. Nothing to be shocked!!! :lol3:

DAVE AND CONNOR QUIT THE RACE!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

TENSION TENSION AT GALLERY 52. Moms and Youtube TARGETS.

Caroline and Jennifer -> CURRENTLY IN 1ST PLACE

ROADBLOCK:
PAM AND WINNIE (1STTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT)
Chuck and Wynona :luvya:
MAX AND KATIE
CAROLINE AND JENNIFER

Joey accompanying moms <3

JOEY AND MEGHAN 5TH
MOMS 6TH
BATES AND ANTHONY 7TH

DETOUR:
PAMELA AND WINNIE FIRST DETOUR OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

IT'S A DOUBLE BLIND U-TURN.

Pam and Winnie kills Joey and Meghan. Omg, imagine if Dave and Connor doesn't quit, this has to be the MOST EXCITING leg I think.

Bates and Anthony 2nd
Joey and Meghan 3rd
Max and Katie 4th
Mona and Beth 5th
Caroline and Jen 6th

PAM AND WINNIE TEAM #1 <333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
THEY ARE GOING TO CANADA!
"Never let your confidence down as you will let your guard down, YOU CAN ASK JOHN" - HEHEHEHE.

Joey and Meghan in 2ND and U-TURN Chuck and Wynona. :(

Chuck and Wynona, We need 12 limes and a husband thatt listens. :lol3:

Chuck and  Wynona 7th

FINAL PITSTOP POSITION:
PAM AND WINNIE
MAX AND KATIE
MONA AND BETH
BATES AND ANTHONY
CAROLINE AND JENNIFER
JOEY AND MEGHAN
CHUCK AND WYNONA

It's a good episode but the Chinese Chess Detour was WAYYYY TOOOOO EASYYYY.

And Dave and Connor quitting = -_- anti-climax.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
I honestly think, this is the ONE season which all teams fare equally in terms of their abilities (with the exception of Chuck and Wynona of course)!

AVERAGE OF SEVEN REMAINING TEAMS:

BATES & ANTHONY: 3.4
PAM & WINNIE: 4.0
JOEY & MEGHAN: 5.2
MONA & BETH: 5.4
MAX & KATIE: 6.0
CAROLINE & JEN: 6.4
CHUCK & WYNONA: 7.2

ELIMINATED TEAMS:
DAVE & CONNOR: 3.0
JESS & JOHN: 3.75
IDRIES & JAMIL: 9.0
MATT & DANIEL: 11.0

I think it has been a long time we have had none of the teams with a 2.0+ average at least and with 5 of the 7 remaining teams with averages WORST than 5.0. :oh :oh :oh

It's like, two teams who won legs before are already eliminated and as long as Chuck and Wynona survive next leg, they would have gotten their best attained position yet. LOL
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:57:47 PM by Joab »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Chuck with 5 Detours and Wynona at 1 is just. :ascared :ascared :ascared

Offline shiqiansoh

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • TIM AND TE JAY 4EVER!!
Just watched the episode. For your reference, I kinda think that the lady that helped the newlyweds with the translation was The Amazing Race Vietnam's contestant Tran Gia Binh:

No, she isn't. I don't see any familiar between them.

Hmmm…… But she was like Gia Binh to me. Well, maybe she isn't.
~~~Shi Qian~~~

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
Do you European or American? because the Asian faces sometimes look familiar to European/American.

For the Roadblock, I think it's quite easy because there are only typos in the letter and one poster only had one mistake. If it has typo in accent marker and many typo in one poster, it will make it more difficult. But becaus that phrase has not much accent marker so...
For example:
Right phrase: Vinh quang thay thế hệ thanh niên chúng ta
Wrong phrase: Vinh quang thay thề hệ thank niêm chùng ta

Offline shiqiansoh

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • TIM AND TE JAY 4EVER!!
I just noticed that the fifth leg's pit stop for this TAR USA season is the same as TAR Vietnam's first leg pit stop in Hanoi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_Vietnam#Leg_1_.28Hanoi.29
~~~Shi Qian~~~

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
It's like, two teams who won legs before are already eliminated and as long as Chuck and Wynona survive next leg, they would have gotten their best attained position yet. LOL

Um, didn't Chuck and Wynona get 5th in the 2nd Bora Bora leg?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

Um, didn't Chuck and Wynona get 5th in the 2nd Bora Bora leg?

I missed that lol! Let's hope Chuck and Wynona be our new LUMELIA! Escaping elimination THREE TIMES ALREADY <3 :lol3:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »
1. No, no, and no. I think several of the tasks they used in Vietnam were insulting to every American and especially to anyone who served during that war. Having the U-Turn located next to a shrine for a US plane that was shot down was particularly offensive. It was propaganda at it's very worst and CBS ought to be ashamed. My wife and I have watched this show every year it has been on and I don't think any leg of any season affected me as negatively as that one did.

You should definitely re-watch Season 3 and check out Ian's perspective on Vietnam. Also, how is showing the B-52 monument more disrespectful and offensive than showcasing the memorial of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings?

On a note that is only somewhat related, that ridiculous performance they had to watch could definitely be said to be propaganda in the U.S. Also, whose terrible idea was it to make that song the music playing in the episode credits? C'mon CBS, I want to see the epic credits music come back!

(See Season 12 Episode 6 for an excellent sample. That song gave me goosebumbs, and sadly, I haven't heard it on the show since.)
While it could be considered propaganda, it is no different than broadcasting people from the US singing about "the land of the free and the home of the brave". I just think some 'Murricans believe that only they are entitled to be patriotic. I'm glad TAR was able to share a form of patriotism outside of what is common in the US. </rant>
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2013, 07:44:51 PM »
As far as I have seen from a history perspective of the war, many who served in the US military in Vietnam weren't even in support of the war in the first place.

As for the propaganda point, how can one not say that last season's United Nations final task and describing it as an "International peace-keeping organization" isn't propaganda? The Vietnam song task was from the perspective of the Communist Party in Vietnam...So it at least had some relevance to the society as a whole. The United Nations task was far worse propaganda in my opinion. I don't think making light of a culture is propaganda at all...I do think many Americans act as though they are the only ones allowed to show some National Pride.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:11 AM »
I think the whole point of The Amazing Race is to display culture and society differences in the perspective of the host country. I mean, I am pretty sure the RB was not meant to be disrespectful towards Vietnam in anyway, and I am sure Vietnam love and adore the fact to be still viewed as somewhat a communist country and the people of the country believe/hold such a belief as well.

So, if you feel as an American or people from another country feel infuriated/awkward or any negative feelings just by watching it, it is OKAY because we have subscribed to democracy since the time when we were born (assuming we live in mostly democratic countries).

Them singing, waving flags, dancing to a song that sings about their country is nothing different to Americans celebrating their independence day through performances as well. It's just cultural differences that perhaps you simply do not adhere to, but really, the Roadblock task has done nothing negative but in fact open up our eyes to the culture of Vietnam.

The Detour of making Pho was also culturally relevant and interesting. I just had qualms with the Chinese Chess task. Too easy, anti-climax and simply non-challenging. They should have made them learn some moves of chess (should they really need to have a CHINESE chess task in VIETNAM), otherwise, they should have just totally just changed it to completing some very traditional and uniquely Vietnamese games.

I also like the fact they visited the Shrine and showed the B52. Be more open towards history and culture because that is what part the whole race is all about. Nothing is meant to purposely demean a country or put a country in a negative light on TAR I believe.

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
Re: That leg was just so nonsense and boring. (LEG 6 QUESTIONS)
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2013, 06:56:30 AM »
I think the whole point of The Amazing Race is to display culture and society differences in the perspective of the host country. I mean, I am pretty sure the RB was not meant to be disrespectful towards Vietnam in anyway, and I am sure Vietnam love and adore the fact to be still viewed as somewhat a communist country and the people of the country believe/hold such a belief as well.

So, if you feel as an American or people from another country feel infuriated/awkward or any negative feelings just by watching it, it is OKAY because we have subscribed to democracy since the time when we were born (assuming we live in mostly democratic countries).

Them singing, waving flags, dancing to a song that sings about their country is nothing different to Americans celebrating their independence day through performances as well. It's just cultural differences that perhaps you simply do not adhere to, but really, the Roadblock task has done nothing negative but in fact open up our eyes to the culture of Vietnam.

The Detour of making Pho was also culturally relevant and interesting. I just had qualms with the Chinese Chess task. Too easy, anti-climax and simply non-challenging. They should have made them learn some moves of chess (should they really need to have a CHINESE chess task in VIETNAM), otherwise, they should have just totally just changed it to completing some very traditional and uniquely Vietnamese games.

I also like the fact they visited the Shrine and showed the B52. Be more open towards history and culture because that is what part the whole race is all about. Nothing is meant to purposely demean a country or put a country in a negative light on TAR I believe.

Totally agree with Joab! Sometimes, I wonder why if the production showcased something that's not really culturally relevant (TAR21 Surabaya Leg), you didn't like it, but when the production showcased something like the Roadblock recently and the B52 Memorial, you also didn't like it? (Sorry, I personally think that some of you don't like that) :(

Actually, what's your opinion by this so-called culturally relevance? Is it HAS to be dancing, painting, music, food, etc.? I think that the song Roadblock and the memorial is something that you obviously can't find in other countries, so in my opinion, it's culturally relevant with Vietnam. If you don't agree about some of the one the production showcased, why don't you design a leg by yourself that you think won't get any complaint from the viewers from ALL AROUND THE WORLD? 'Cause I think that some of us will complain that the leg is boring, not creative, not culturally relevant, etc. ;)

And I think that this is the time that we have to respect people around us. That's why there are so many kinds of culture and society differences in earth. I'm sorry to say this, but there's not only one kind of people who live in this world y'know. What has happened, let it go. So, just learn to accept what other people/countries belief. Thanks! :)
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2013, 07:08:14 AM »

Totally agree with Joab! Sometimes, I wonder why if the production showcased something that's not really culturally relevant (TAR21 Surabaya Leg), you didn't like it, but when the production showcased something like the Roadblock recently and the B52 Memorial, you also didn't like it? (Sorry, I personally think that some of you don't like that) :(

Actually, what's your opinion by this so-called culturally relevance? Is it HAS to be dancing, painting, music, food, etc.? I think that the song Roadblock and the memorial is something that you obviously can't find in other countries, so in my opinion, it's culturally relevant with Vietnam. If you don't agree about some of the one the production showcased, why don't you design a leg by yourself that you think won't get any complaint from the viewers from ALL AROUND THE WORLD? 'Cause I think that some of us will complain that the leg is boring, not creative, not culturally relevant, etc. ;)

And I think that this is the time that we have to respect people around us. That's why there are so many kinds of culture and society differences in earth. I'm sorry to say this, but there's not only one kind of people who live in this world y'know. What has happened, let it go. So, just learn to accept what other people/countries belief. Thanks! :)

I want to add: The person that wins the war writes the story. Vietnam won, they can write their story in their country however they want. :)

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »

I want to add: The person that wins the war writes the story. Vietnam won, they can write their story in their country however they want. :)

Okay, I can see where you're coming from. Fair enough.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Do you European or American? because the Asian faces sometimes look familiar to European/American.

For the Roadblock, I think it's quite easy because there are only typos in the letter and one poster only had one mistake. If it has typo in accent marker and many typo in one poster, it will make it more difficult. But becaus that phrase has not much accent marker so...
For example:
Right phrase: Vinh quang thay thế hệ thanh niên chúng ta
Wrong phrase: Vinh quang thay thề hệ thank niêm chùng ta

It was like they were putting English words in to the phrase to make it wrong, surely that would only fool idiots for a long time.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »
Apparently this episode is getting some media attention: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/03/21/amazing-race-episode-set-in-hanoi-sparks-outrage/

I didn't really get that impression while watching, I thought the communist song was supposed to be a joke. It would have been nice to mention the Americans who died at the plane wreck. They have taken moments like that before at other locations.

So I was right:

On a note that is only somewhat related, that ridiculous performance they had to watch could definitely be said to be propaganda in the U.S.

Ultimately, however, for it to be officially defined as propaganda, it must be proven that the task was featured on the show specifically for the purpose of promoting a political ideology. I don't know that that could be proven in this case. More likely it was featured simply to reveal the culture of the country.

It doesn't really bother me as much as it probably seemed when I first posted (my mistake for using emphatic language), but it is interesting nevertheless.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:27:05 AM by Hooky »

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Well I've heard what I might consider American propaganda on the show before, so I think it's nice to have a view from elsewhere.  And as it's a race around the world to broaden people's horizons I assume (rather than just for tourist photography) that could be considered a good thing.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I found it interesting to research what are today classified as Socialist countries. Here is what I found:

A socialist country is one where the central government controls basically everything. They plan, control and distribute goods, with a view of having more equity distribution of labor and goods, and these countries are often led by a dictator. The current countries that practice socialism are Burma, Vietnam, Laos, Cuba, North Korea and People's Republic of China, Syria, Belarus, Sweden, Laos, Zambia, Turkmenistan. There have been other countries that had this form of government before but have stopped. There are no other European other countries that are completely socialist. The list of socialist countries is most certainly open to alternate views, one of which is that all countries today are essentially capitalist, including Vietnam despite its rhetoric. Another is that Norway, Libya, Algeria, and Namibia could be added to the list.

So, you can decide for yourself what constitutes a Socialist country and whether Vietnam is essentially a Socialist country.