Author Topic: THE AMAZING RACE ETHICS THREAD  (Read 23460 times)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Re: THE AMAZING RACE ETHICS THREAD
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2013, 06:05:34 AM »
Do not care it's a race. Unless it's a team I don't like, then they're not allowed to.

Show content
But in all honesty I would have done it :lol:

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 06:10:22 AM »
I see nothing wrong done by Tim & Marie, it's a Race, they did what they had to do to gain time. :)

Even if they stole from the team I'm rooting for the most! ;)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 08:24:48 PM »
There have been so many taxi stealing incidents on the race that it becomes typical (Romber vs. Charla & Mirna, Sam & Dan vs. Brian & Ericka, and Ari & Staella vs. Ronald & Christina). Even Don & Mary Jean, the innocent grandparents, "stole" another team's vehicle on accident. Nonetheless, it's part of the Race and it's what you got to do to get ahead. But when you leave your "race buddies" behind in the dust, that's gonna blow your cover in a split second.

Seriously, there already has been two other taxi stealing incident this season, but NOW they realize it? :groan: Marie took Jamal's taxi bck in the premiere and called her a bitch, but that's neglected. Leo & Jamal "retaliated" by hailing a taxi for Ally & Ashley and took it right in front of their faces, but they didn't even bother airing it.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »
The one in the premiere wasn't literally taxi stealing, Jamal ordered the cab, and the cab simply chose to take Marie. The other incident as well, because honestly... you can order a cab for someone but as long as that person hasn't gone into the cab, it isn't considered taxi stealing. You can only blame it on the driver for not checking the identity of the passenger properly... but they don't really care. They just want to do business.

This incident wouldn't have happen if the cab driver didn't take out Jason and Amy's bag tbh... but I'm wondering if Tim and Marie actually told the cab driver to remove the bags and receive a penalty for it, will Tim and Danny survived the leg?

Also, what if another team stole Tim and Marie's cab? Imagine how infuriated Marie would be. I would love to see Jason and Amy do that back to them honestly.

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »
Personally, I think there's nothing wrong in what Tim & Marie did, just simply because they didn't touch the bag. Based on what I saw when I watched this episode again, when Nicky & Kim spotted Jason & Amy's taxi, the bag is still in the taxi, but after that the taxi driver himself took the bag out. My opinion is, maybe the taxi driver had been waiting pretty long for them (Jason & Amy) and when he saw the Bunnies were searching for other taxi just because there are two bags in his cab and not taking his, he moved the bag out just for other teams (or maybe the bunnies) can take his cab, and not just Jason & Amy can take his. I personally think the taxi driver had a good purpose because maybe he tried to help other teams to get in his taxi, and not spending time to search for other taxi.

The thing that I don't like is the fact that Marie wanted to blame her act to Leo & Jamal. I feel poor for Leo & Jamal to be the scapegoat this time. :( But thank goodness it didn't happen! :yess:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2013, 07:18:02 AM »
But while on the cab, the cab driver realized he took the wrong team. That was just puzzling and awkward?

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »
As long as they didn't touch their stuff, Tim & Marie were alright.

Now if it was like Joseph & Grace on TARAu dumping James & Sarah's bags out, then we got a problem.

Offline richard2013

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2013, 09:56:58 PM »
I dont think they should have taken their taxi,

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »
I don't have a problem with a team taking a taxi with no bags on it (the bags were already in the floor) but my problem would start if Jason&Amy didn't pay to the cab driver before making him wait, if they were waiting usually the taxi timer is still going so that would mean the service is still on Jason&Amy... unless the taxi driver didn't wanna wait anymore and thought he was not gonna be paid and that is why he took the bags out restarting the timer for the new team....

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2013, 01:07:08 AM »
If it were me in Tim & Marie's position, I wouldn't have taken the cab. But because the taxi driver removed J & A's bags, and not Tim & Marie, I don't necessarily think they did anything wrong. Immoral? Sure, maybe. But nothing against the rules.

But while on the cab, the cab driver realized he took the wrong team. That was just puzzling and awkward?

The best part of the whole escapade was when one of them (I forget which) held up the Route Info clue and said, "No, see? We're blue team too." :lol:
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »

The best part of the whole escapade was when one of them (I forget which) held up the Route Info clue and said, "No, see? We're blue team too." :lol:

Marie <3333333

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2013, 06:01:42 AM »
Should Travis and Nicole have been penalised for having Amy pretty much complete the roadblock in leg 9 for them? I'm a little unclear on the rules here, I know teams have given each other advice or answers for tasks before but this seemed to me to be the next level. Did it seal the fate of the Ice Queens? definitely. Would they have survived if it hadnt happened? We'll never know.

In my opinion if Nicole cannot complete the roadblock successfully and her team arrives last they should be eliminated rather than:
If Nicole cannot complete the roadblock successfully she can get Amy to essentially do it for her and her team can survive while a team that completed the task independently is eliminated.

What are your thoughts?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
"Ethics" in particular made me really upset during this episode. While Nicole is rushing off to try to cheat off of Leo (Of the team she U-Turned) by copying all of his hard work, it is interspersed with the two of them in an interview talking about how they want to run the race in an honest way and to set a good example for their children.

Explain to me how cheating off of someone else during a task is setting a good example? It seemed to me that the show was trying to portray Leo and Jamal in a poor light in this instance, when LEO was actually the one trying to play fair.

Looking over someone's shoulders to copy their answers is not permitted during a school exam. Why do Nicole & Travis feel it is morally right here?

I wouldn't have had a problem if it were not for their accompanying interview. If you were running an honest race, you wouldn't have even tried.

Also: This is not the first time teams have helped each other during tasks. It's only prohibited when clues specify (See TAR 7 England Roadblock)
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »
Amy helping Nicole wasn't even the first time this episode that team helped another with a task. Leo & Jamal gave Ally & Ashley the scarf they used to finish the Detour. Yes, it's a more oblique way of helping out, but it's still helping another team. Morally, I don't see anything wrong with helping another team, no matter how much or how little you help.

"Ethics" in particular made me really upset during this episode. While Nicole is rushing off to try to cheat off of Leo (Of the team she U-Turned) by copying all of his hard work, it is interspersed with the two of them in an interview talking about how they want to run the race in an honest way and to set a good example for their children.

Explain to me how cheating off of someone else during a task is setting a good example? It seemed to me that the show was trying to portray Leo and Jamal in a poor light in this instance, when LEO was actually the one trying to play fair.

Looking over someone's shoulders to copy their answers is not permitted during a school exam. Why do Nicole & Travis feel it is morally right here?

I wouldn't have had a problem if it were not for their accompanying interview. If you were running an honest race, you wouldn't have even tried.

Behold, the magic of editing. I guarantee that quote in the interview was taken out of context to make them look bad. For all we know, the full quote could have been something like "I feel so bad doing that at the Roadblock, because we wanted to run an honest race and set a good example for our kids," but the editors took out the first part. It's hard to judge someone based solely on a four-second sound bite.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
It's interesting because I don't think there was anything wrong with Amy helping Nicole since it was her decision.  Nicole could've begged all day and no one didn't have to help.

But there other tasks where teams have to solve puzzles where I don't think they should get any help.  Maybe like TAR19's starting line task with the umbrellas or TAR18's nautical phrase task.  Or something like special KAFKA. (lol) Teams should figure those out on their own.

Now about Nicole looking at Leo's finished angklung, I think it was hilarious.  But at the same time, it's the same as copying a provided example. (Was there an example?)
I actually look down more on Nicole begging Amy to STAY and help her than her chasing Leo around.

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »
Nicole chasing Leo was funny, I do not see it as cheating. Nicole begging Amy to help was ok, but perhaps not wise on Amy's part to help. 

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2013, 12:55:01 AM »
dryedmangoez, I do not believe there were any provided examples. That's what made the task so difficult. The teams were only surrounded by laughing children.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2013, 02:50:42 AM »
I don't think Amy helping Nicole is the issue, but instead it's Nicole trying to copy Leo's assembled angklung. I don't like what she did but I guess if you're that desperate, you'll do anything.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2013, 04:13:54 AM »
Should Travis and Nicole have been penalised for having Amy pretty much complete the roadblock in leg 9 for them? I'm a little unclear on the rules here, I know teams have given each other advice or answers for tasks before but this seemed to me to be the next level. Did it seal the fate of the Ice Queens? definitely. Would they have survived if it hadnt happened? We'll never know.

In my opinion if Nicole cannot complete the roadblock successfully and her team arrives last they should be eliminated rather than:
If Nicole cannot complete the roadblock successfully she can get Amy to essentially do it for her and her team can survive while a team that completed the task independently is eliminated.

What are your thoughts?

30-minutes, and a
Show content
30-min penalty for not arriving in a taxi.
Bye Bye ER docs.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2013, 05:02:59 AM »
Sometimes, race alliance is part and parcel of the race. Flo in TAR 3 told Ken and Gerard where to find the cluebox in Vietnam, inevitably sealing the wonder twins fate. (even though K/G were not even that close to them)

In TAR 7, Susan and Patrick and Debbie and Bianca ate the meat at the Roadblock and 4 other teams quit, but because the girls were so lost on the drive there.. it sent them packing as well.

I guess there's nothing wrong with Amy helping Nicole. The problem here is even after Amy helped Nicole, Nicole begged her to complete the task for her. Nothing wrong with that as well.. but when audience and viewers are watching it, we get enraged because that was after all the ethics and great righteous people and wonderful parents talk that they engaged in.. only to try to peep and cheat, plus beg for people's help and went on a desperate mode on another team to do the entire task for them. :res:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2013, 05:05:09 AM »
New poll up!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2013, 06:56:42 PM »
Amy verbally helping Nicole during the instrument assembly is okay and part of the race, but physicallly showing her which piece goes where should be prohibited starting from next season.

As for bug-eyed Nicole trying to cheat off of Leo's angklung, I found that "disgusting" as she wore the orthodox parent role at the beginning of the race and then broke her own words in Indonesia. That act was just SO teenagish and arrogant. It's one thing to U-Turn a team for lying, but it's another to try and copy off the TEAM YOU U-TURNED BY CHOICE.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
So I just read this, if a mod think it shouldn't be posted, by all means delete my post.

I checked the episode again, and the clue was never shown past the question, so we really don't have a way to verify this, Nicole&Travis should've been penalized at the pitstop, not for getting help from another team, not for getting in a different car, but because Nicole didn't follow the rules of the roadblock.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
That's interesting... Time for a TAR what if question when the season ends.