Author Topic: TAR 22 EP 11 (Belfast) "Beacon of Hope"  (Read 48357 times)

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 22 EP 11 (Belfast)
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 11:06:45 AM »
Don't think the Bog Snorkling is in Scotland, found this http://www.doeni.gov.uk/niea/bog_snorkelling_2010_information_pack.pdf which is based outside Belfast.

MrDeerShank

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »
Don't think the Bog Snorkling is in Scotland, found this http://www.doeni.gov.uk/niea/bog_snorkelling_2010_information_pack.pdf which is based outside Belfast.

CBS announces the May 5 2 hour AR22 finale:

After sprinting nearly 30,000 miles, over five continents and through nine countries, the final four Teams find themselves bog snorkeling in Belfast, Ireland where one Team's Race will come to an end. The final three Teams Race to our nation's capital where they'll scour some of Washington, D.C.'s most historic landmarks for the chance to be crowned this season's $1 million winners.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
Note the camera boom and the tent set up on the floor of the Titanic's drydock.

They must be doing an additional task down there:   :ascared

There is a tent at the top, tent at the bottom. Looks to me that they have to serve a meal....maybe one from the Titantic.....maybe the last meal.........lol

Tent on the right side of the dry dock......this looks like a pit stop mat chat at the ocean end of the dry dock.

Anthony, the bumbling waiter.....

Inside the tent in the dry dock?????
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:08:44 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
here are some bog spots mentioned:

Irish bog snorkelling championships in Doohamlet, Monaghan

Peatlands Park in Tyrone

Peatlands Park outside Dungannon

But really, any peaty farm might have a bog-hole!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »

Inside the tent in the dry dock?????

We should be able to find that stained glass window!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »
If Max & Katie are running to the Pit Stop in this shot then this is what they are going to find at the mat:  Reconstructed bow of Titanic

This is what they are running towards:  (Panoramio)

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »
SO this seems to be a task they BOTH have to do? Detour?  Mat and Katie both have trays. Could they be running to the task itself?

When we see Mona and Bates on the sidelines, that must be for a different task? ??? >>Bog RB?

And where is that graffiti task?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
Heee. spec

Detours:

PAINT or WAIT
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 02:51:35 PM »
SO this seems to be a task they BOTH have to do? Detour?  Mat and Katie both have trays. Could they be running to the task itself?

When we see Mona and Bates on the sidelines, that must be for a different task? ??? >>Bog RB?

And where is that graffiti task?
1. could be one person cooks other delivers
2. The background looks like being at the docks
3. http://www.facebook.com/T13.skatepark

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
oooh, NICE!! That looks like a match to me!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kshel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »
Hi guys,

Long time lurker and decided to register to confirm a few things about the upcoming leg as I'm Scottish & used to Live in Glasgow Edinurgh etc..

It is indeed a Scotrail train.. of the first two shots from the preview, The train was a First scotrail train so guessing they had to go elsewhere in Scotland (my guess would be Glasgow into Queen Street Station, and then on to Stranraear using the Glasgow - Ayr Line from Central Station - there is another Ferry port at Troon but the route is closed at xmas time I think ), and I will cry if they go to Glasgow and on that train line cos they were so damn close to me I could have spat on them..) cos they wouldn't have got a train to Edinburgh airport, and I was also just about to tell you that the street the roller moms were walking along was still in Edinburgh, and very near the pitstop, but you already worked that out! If I can be of help, let me know!

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
 :hello2: Welcome to the site, shame you missed the main excitement of the Edinburgh leg last week, we'll probably have to wait until season 39 until they come back to Scotland again.

Offline kshel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
Yep, good old Season 3!

Was studying for an interview last week, so I opted to stay off here so I could concentrate on it.. dunno why I didn't think to come on here at the weekend though! 

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
Mattjim's Skateboard park where they are doing the spray painting is right across the street from the Titanic Building:   Streetview link
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 10:42:17 PM »
Just for sharing something that I visited which reminds me of the Titanic dry docks in Belfast. The whole ship (on hydraulic jacks for sinking), Belfast shipyard, Southampton docks, interiors and everything were recreated at the film studios in Rosarito, Mexico back in 1996-97 for the filming of the famous movie with Leo DiCaprio which was completely shot in Mexico. I personally took a trip back then and visited all the sets. The photo shows the ship at its maximum sinking capability at the studios' back lot (back Pacific Ocean :-)) before it was dismantled for shooting other films. Let TAR know they didn't have to go all the way across the pond! Greetings to all my Irish friends!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 05:41:49 AM »
Well leg 10 had teams checking into the pit stop in Edinburgh on Dec 3, a Monday. Two teams checked in before civil twilight (M/K, B/A) and two teams checked in after civil twilight (C/J, M/B). In the montage below, in the upper left photo, you can see B/A turning the corner off the Royal Mile onto Niddry Street for the run up to the mat. The sky is definitely still very light. The next screen cap, #52 (Ep 10, page 2) leaves out the shot of the sky, but still very light outside. On Dec 3, civil twilight was 4:28 pm.

Teams were next spotted in Belfast on Dec 5th racing in the midday. The episode promo for Leg 11 showed a few shots of a train, so possible that the mode of transportation to Belfast from Edinburgh is the train/ferry to Belfast. ScotRail lists three time for this trip,

Lv Edinburgh         Ar Belfast          total time
05:55                     13:453             7:50hrs
10:00                     17:453             7:45hrs
14:30                     21:453             7:15hrs

These are just representative examples of travel. There are tons of "a la carte" options with trains and busses to reach the ferry port, but not that many ferries. The surface transportation also gives Phil time to get ahead and film his standups in leisure.

Since the promos, so far, have shown all activites in Belfast to be in daylight, I think that teams were relased (after 10:00am, Dec 4) in time to make the last ferry to Belfast and then have an HoO through the night in Belfast with completion of Leg 11 around midday on Wed, Dec 5.

There is one aspect of the montage that is interesting......does anyone know where B/M are in that photo. Is it at the Edinburgh airport?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:48:35 AM by DrRox »

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 06:30:29 AM »
Well leg 10 had teams checking into the pit stop in Edinburgh on Dec 3, a Monday. Two teams checked in before civil twilight (M/K, B/A) and two teams checked in after civil twilight (C/J, M/B). In the montage below, in the upper left photo, you can see B/A turning the corner off the Royal Mile onto Niddry Street for the run up to the mat. The sky is definitely still very light. The next screen cap, #52 (Ep 10, page 2) leaves out the shot of the sky, but still very light outside. On Dec 3, civil twilight was 4:28 pm.

Teams were next spotted in Belfast on Dec 5th racing in the midday. The episode promo for Leg 11 showed a few shots of a train, so possible that the mode of transportation to Belfast from Edinburgh is the train/ferry to Belfast. ScotRail lists three time for this trip,

Lv Edinburgh         Ar Belfast          total time
05:55                     13:453             7:50hrs
10:00                     17:453             7:45hrs
14:30                     21:453             7:15hrs

These are just representative examples of travel. There are tons of "a la carte" options with trains and busses to reach the ferry port, but not that many ferries. The surface transportation also gives Phil time to get ahead and film his standups in leisure.

Since the promos, so far, have shown all activites in Belfast to be in daylight, I think that teams were relased (after 10:00am, Dec 4) in time to make the last ferry to Belfast and then have an HoO through the night in Belfast with completion of Leg 11 around midday on Wed, Dec 5.

There is one aspect of the montage that is interesting......does anyone know where B/M are in that photo. Is it at the Edinburgh airport?
Yeah they are going to get the car at the airport, I thought it may be in the city centre, but from the episode, it's the airport.

It could be that the teams have another 24 hour pitstop in Edinburgh, as M/B are shown running through Edinburgh at night in caps 7-9, and I think they may have checked in about 8-9pm, which if a 12 hour pitstop would make it getting light rather than the darkness shown in the caps, and would create a bunching again for travel to Belfast.

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 06:56:44 AM »
I have a feeling the Pitstop release may be here:

The red line with the arrow is the road M/B are shown to be running up and the quickest way to get to the train station/cars if they are released from the Sheraton Hotel.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »
It could be that the teams have another 24 hour pitstop in Edinburgh, as M/B are shown running through Edinburgh at night in caps 7-9, and I think they may have checked in about 8-9pm, which if a 12 hour pitstop would make it getting light rather than the darkness shown in the caps, and would create a bunching again for travel to Belfast.

The sidewalk is wet in the photos of M/B in front of that Kurdish restaurant. Weather Underground has rain to light rain on Dec 4 from about 3:45 pm to 8:30 pm. So that jives. Teams might not be bunched leaving Edinburgh, but I think that production would arrange things so all teams are at a bunching point in Belfast in the morning of Dec 5 to get filming done as quickly as possible. Mainly so Phil can start his trip back to DC and get some rest. If they can get done quickly in Belfast, most of the production can get out of town on late flights on Dec 5, with the exception of the production asst/minders that would release the teams for the Leg to Washington, DC in late afternoon/early evening of Dec 6. This is similiar to TAR 15 where WRP had a reserved meeting room at Heathrow for teams to crash out in,waiting for flight to Vegas.

I need to look for absolute last ferry and first ferry to Belfast. I was thinking the bunching point was at the bog snorkling with probably one of those white tents set up for teams to sleep/wait in, till morning.

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
Ferry times are in the transportation thread, first one at 4am, last one is at 23:30.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »
I forgot to add that sunset was 3:43 and civil twilight was 4:28 pm. So it should be pretty dark at 5 pm. That photo of M/B could be as early as 5 pm. Right?

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »
It could be, but it wouldn't tie in with when they were doing the detour. In the episode, when they are waiting to cross the road to get to the kirk, would have been rush hour traffic coming round Arthur's Seat (I hit it when I was down taking photo's), so I would guess it was closer to 7-8pm that they got to the pitstop.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 09:14:19 AM »
I am not talking when they checked in at end of leg 10. I am talking about the pit release of M/B for leg 11. It doesnt necessary have to be an exact 24 hour pit stop. Production releases teams whenever they want, to fit whatever schedule they prefer.

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 09:33:11 AM »
It could be, but there would be more people moving about there at that time due to the various restaurants and bars at that point of the street, plus there are stairs heading down to the grassmarket near there.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »
Well, at any rate, since the previews showed Max & Katie, Bates & Anthony, and Mona & Beth all in DC, it seems almost blatantly obvious that Caroline & Jennifer's race will come to an end in Northern Ireland.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:05:14 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis