Author Topic: TAR 22 EP 10 "Working Our Barrels Off"  (Read 66757 times)

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 22 EP 10 "Working Our Barrels Off"
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »
Is it absolutely certain they flew into Edinburgh?

Just last leg, teams:
- got from Grindelwald to Interlaken
- took a train from Interlaken to Basel
- flew from Basel to Dresden
- drove from Dresden to Berlin

when they could've just as easily:
- fly from Basel to Berlin
- get directed to a clue outside Berlin with cars attached OR

- took a set of trains from Interlaken to Berlin (Interlaken - Zurich - Frankfurt - Berlin) or something?
- get directed to a clue outside Berlin with cars

The point is, TPTB like to add 'time-wasters' in an effort to get ahead of the teams, and they've done it more and more in recent seasons - the ferry to Mallorca when it has an airport last season, the train from Barcelona to the Loire Valley when they could've driven from Paris last season, the train to Austria in TAR 20, the train to Amsterdam in TAR 19 just to fly to Panama (when Brussels has an international airport), and so on. What's to say the teams weren't directed to fly to Glasgow or Aberdeen, and then take a train ride to Edinburgh?

Regardless of the how:

I think it's safe to say they're bunched somewhere.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »
Also thinking now that this cap does relate to the Bagpipe task.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2013, 11:12:02 PM »

Just last leg, teams:

- took a set of trains from Interlaken to Berlin (Interlaken - Zurich - Frankfurt - Berlin) or something?

The point is, TPTB like to add 'time-wasters' in an effort to get ahead of the teams, and they've done it more and more in recent seasons - the ferry to Mallorca when it has an airport last season, the train from Barcelona to the Loire Valley when they could've driven from Paris last season, the train to Austria in TAR 20, the train to Amsterdam in TAR 19 just to fly to Panama (when Brussels has an international airport), and so on. What's to say the teams weren't directed to fly to Glasgow or Aberdeen, and then take a train ride to Edinburgh?

Regardless of the how:

What are you talking about? The clue said that they had to go to Dresden, not Berlin. In Dresden, they found the car and the clue which said that they drove themselves to Berlin.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »
And this one looks like a happy face PitStop run to me....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2013, 11:25:05 PM »
Fair enough spec. But the caps do suggest a flight to Berlin, y'all can see more in the transport thread.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BuuYaa

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR 22 <3; TAR 23 must be better
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »

As for the spoiled Joey/Meghan elimination. It could be that both U-turned teams surpass J/M (granted they don't get U-turned themselves) at the roadblock due to Meghan not being able to play the bagpipe.

LOL
 :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

$10 says this is what's going to happen

I am certainly not going to miss that ....
Please Bring'em back:
=======================================
MM: Jaymes&James; Mark&Bopper
FF: Caroline&Jennifer; Pam&Winnie; Natalie&Nadiya;
MF: Joey&Meghan;
Couple : Max&Katie; Abby&Ryan; Brendon&Rachel; Amani&Marcus;
Elder Couple : Chuck&Wynona; Bill&Cathi;
======================================

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
Sneak peek is up

The Amazing Race - Working Our Barrels Off (Sneak Peek)

With a chance to compete in the finale on the line, the final five teams race through Scotland, where they encounter a double U-turn that puts two teams in jeopardy of elimination, on the next episode of The Amazing Race, Sunday, April 28, 8/7c. Only CBS

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fJiOeb6sfUA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fJiOeb6sfUA</a>

Offline NickNaTaw

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2013, 12:13:25 AM »
Oh my gosh. That speedbump looks like it may take a while.  :lol3:

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2013, 01:04:08 AM »

Just last leg, teams:

Regardless of the how:

What are you talking about? The clue said that they had to go to Dresden, not Berlin. In Dresden, they found the car and the clue which said that they drove themselves to Berlin.

I'm not arguing that (it's the first list). The other things I listed were to illustrate that they could've avoided Dresden (and Interlaken and possibly even Basel) entirely but they didn't. I think the same trick might be done this leg to bunch everyone up.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »
Thanks Will! Sneak Peek vid up in post 2!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2013, 02:16:07 AM »
And this one looks like a happy face PitStop run to me....

Baring in mind there are Bagpipers on the steps and J/M look like they would get exited at the opening of a crisp (chip) bag.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2013, 07:04:25 AM »
Mattjimf,

Could the Hockey guys be coming from the Waverly Train Sta. looking for the next clue? Could the train station fit in with the general flow of the leg in Edinburgh?

The reason I ask, teams were seen @ breakfast time in Berlin on Dec 2 and then C/J were seen at the Holiday Inn Express on Cowgate (Royal Mile?) about 1600 on Dec 3. We also have the picture of B/A on the Royal Mile you said by a bank. Is the Royal Mile on Cowgate, by any chance.

Teams finish the Berlin leg late at night on Dec 1. So if they flew out of Berlin on Dec 2 for an unknown destination on the Continent, then it is possible that they took another night train to Edinburgh, similiar to the trip from Barcelona to Tours in TAR 21. This would give Phil time to do his standups and could certainly explain the team bunching we seem to have in Edinburgh.

Another possibility is flying Berlin to London and take a train to Edinburgh, with a late night HoO. This would require a late enough pit release in Berlin to gaurentee that no teams could reach Edinburgh before sunset.

Also, they could have taken an extended pit stop in Berlin too. Their hotel is right by the zoo if they wanted to go sightseeing...lol
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:06:58 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2013, 07:57:13 AM »

Just last leg, teams:

Regardless of the how:

Zach,
You have an interesting theory that is not supported by actual flight and train timetables. There are loads of trains from Aberdeen to Edinburgh (lasting 2 hour 25 min. to 2 hours 38 min.) and from Glasgow to Edinburgh (lasting 55 min. to 1 hour 38 min.). However, there are no flights from Berlin-Tegel to either Glasgow or to Aberdeen. There are connecting flights through Amsterdam and London-Heathrow, but they would not be any better than those connecting there to Edinburgh itself. The extra rail segment makes sense only if there are nonstop flights to Glasgow or Aberdeen and those do not exist.

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2013, 08:20:54 AM »
The Royal Mile runs parallel to Cowgate.

The only way to get into the city centre from the airport is by bus or taxi/car, if they got the bus, the airport bus stop is across from Waverly Train station. I really can't see how they could fly from Berlin into another town then know they have to get a train to Edinburgh.

It could be that there was a 24 hour pitstop in Berlin, releasing them at night in Berlin (which could be supported by the picture of J/M in the montage pic 52 of them running from the car at night, looks to be the one they were driving in Berlin), bunching them up at Tegel Airport then the only two options by Lufthansa to get to Edinburgh.

There is an option of travelling from Berlin to Edinburgh via Heathrow that would get them into Edinburgh at 2:08pm, will post full details in the Transport thread.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:14:14 AM by Mattjimf »

Offline NickNaTaw

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
Teams finish the Berlin leg late at night on Dec 1. So if they flew out of Berlin on Dec 2 for an unknown destination on the Continent, then it is possible that they took another night train to Edinburgh, similiar to the trip from Barcelona to Tours in TAR 21. This would give Phil time to do his standups and could certainly explain the team bunching we seem to have in Edinburgh.

Interesting theory, but the teams ARE shown at an airport in the promos... So we know that that is definitely one of the forms of transportation. Whether they take a train after (or even before) the flight is something I'm not sure of.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2013, 10:10:51 AM »
I really can't see how they could fly from Berlin into another town then know they have to get a train to Edinburgh.

I was thinking along the same scenario as how they got from Dresden to Berlin. They didnt know the were going to Berlin, till they answered the questions in the car.

I am working on three assumptions:
a) there was no extended pit stop
b) teams were equalized upon arrival in Edinburgh
c) the normal 24 hour head start that Phil tries to get to film his standups

I think the photo of J/M is under the parking garage at Tegel Airport. Depending on release times on Dec 2, I think it is possible that J/M and B/M stopped at a travel agency to book flights before going to Tegel. Then the other teams get to Tegel, flights are booked and they have a 3 hour deficit.

Teams fly to London and are instructed to go somewhere to get next clue. When they get to the cluebox, there is an HoO and they have to wait till morning of Dec 3. This equalizes the teams and the clue says to take a train to Edinburgh for next clue or location of cars w/clue as in Dresden. Train ride is approximately 5-6 hours and all teams are on same train. Maybe the clue box is in Kings Cross....near the train station. The train ride gets teams to Edinburgh after lunch to do the tasks before sundown.

That photo of B/A at the Bank Hotel appears to me that they are going into that narrow alley, on the east side of the hotel, which has a car park in it. C/J are seen in the same area asking for directions.

Anyway, probably nothing of it is true, but I am just trying to make some sense out of the data.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »
I really can't see how they could fly from Berlin into another town then know they have to get a train to Edinburgh.

I was thinking along the same scenario as how they got from Dresden to Berlin. They didnt know the were going to Berlin, till they answered the questions in the car.

I am working on three assumptions:
a) there was no extended pit stop
b) teams were equalized upon arrival in Edinburgh
c) the normal 24 hour head start that Phil tries to get to film his standups

I think the photo of J/M is under the parking garage at Tegel Airport. Depending on release times on Dec 2, I think it is possible that J/M and B/M stopped at a travel agency to book flights before going to Tegel. Then the other teams get to Tegel, flights are booked and they have a 3 hour deficit.

Teams fly to London and are instructed to go somewhere to get next clue. When they get to the cluebox, there is an HoO and they have to wait till morning of Dec 3. This equalizes the teams and the clue says to take a train to Edinburgh for next clue or location of cars w/clue as in Dresden. Train ride is approximately 5-6 hours and all teams are on same train. Maybe the clue box is in Kings Cross....near the train station. The train ride gets teams to Edinburgh after lunch to do the tasks before sundown.

That photo of B/A at the Bank Hotel appears to me that they are going into that narrow alley, on the east side of the hotel, which has a car park in it. C/J are seen in the same area asking for directions.

Anyway, probably nothing of it is true, but I am just trying to make some sense out of the data.

This scenario makes the most sense to me - especially since there is some tenuous evidence of production being in London...
I like the "Caledonia Sleeper" overnight train for the transport between London Euston or Waverly Station to Edinburgh. Departs 23:50 from London - arrives at 07:22 in Edinburgh.

From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »

This scenario makes the most sense to me - especially since there is some tenuous evidence of production being in London...
I like the "Caledonia Sleeper" overnight train for the transport between London Euston or Waverly Station to Edinburgh. Departs 23:50 from London - arrives at 07:22 in Edinburgh.

That is a good train, except it arrives in Edinburgh way to early in the day.

That is the only way I could see a J/M elimination. If J/M and B/M actually do have a 3 hour lead when they fly into Edinburgh, then looks like it will be a C/J elimination. But then again, J/M get lost a lot when they drive.....maybe they end up in Aberdeen and have to drive back to Edinburgh....lol

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
I'm not arguing that (it's the first list). The other things I listed were to illustrate that they could've avoided Dresden (and Interlaken and possibly even Basel) entirely but they didn't. I think the same trick might be done this leg to bunch everyone up.

I still don't get what you said. The clue said that they had to go to Dresden and the cars were in Dresden. How did they go directly to Berlin when they did not know anything about Berlin from the first clue?

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »
I really don't see how they can get to Edinburgh other than flying.

If you get a chance to go to a music store with bagpipes, ask for a go, it's hard enough inflating and keeping them inflated never mind getting the notes right while squeezing the bag to go along with the other pipers.

It is possible they could get lost on the way to/from Gosford House, but Craigmillar castle is well sign-posted in that side of the town, and it's a direct road from Craigmillar to Duddingston.

MrDeerShank

« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »

Max is driving through Longniddry in this cap, nearby where Gosford House is (I can't access Street View at the moment to illustrate this).

MrDeerShank

« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
I really don't see how they can get to Edinburgh other than flying.

If you get a chance to go to a music store with bagpipes, ask for a go, it's hard enough inflating and keeping them inflated never mind getting the notes right while squeezing the bag to go along with the other pipers.

It is possible they could get lost on the way to/from Gosford House, but Craigmillar castle is well sign-posted in that side of the town, and it's a direct road from Craigmillar to Duddingston.

The most likely option is the flying option but they could have taken a train from Kings Cross up to Edinburgh (4hr 22mins train ride). If production wanted a clear lead on teams, it would seem most logical to do that, although they might already have enough of a lead so they could just fly direct to Edinburgh

jiajia12

« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »

Pic of Meghan just getting her route info clue after the roadblock, seems like its night there... do we agree?

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
Two questions :

How do y'all know that Meghan won't be able to do the Roadblock?

And , how do we know that (that cap that peach posted) is a Pit Stop run?
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

jiajia12

« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »
Speculations, the pitstop run was speculate by Peach
the one about Meghan not being able to do the roadblock was because Caroline was struggling with it, and given she's a singer and should have stronger lung capacity.. and so in hindsight  Meghan might struggle with it.

Nothing is given, just speculations of possible outcomes. But doesn't look good for teamyoutube after Meghan's pic