Author Topic: TAR 22 EP 6 "Scorpion King Hunter"  (Read 54394 times)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 22 EP 6 "Scorpion King Hunter"
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »
I'll get a cap when I'm next on my laptop - you can see something is taped to the steering wheel of Mona and Beth's car in the promo :)

I would guess it is just driving instructions rather than a normal clue.

It is quite common that WRP tape some kind of instruction-sheet to the steering wheel. I would assume that it is driving instructions, like drive on the left side of the road etc. I have seen it many times in earlier seasons.

When teams are told to pick up their next clue by the car it is always in a normal clue-envelope. Typically under the windshield viper.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
Thanks guys! I was thinking, watch out for elephants intructions!! :lol:

Okay...we have TWO possible locations...Mapula and/or Royal Tree Lodge. Dig around their pics so if we get any background shots we can hopefully tell the difference. Right now, one thorn tree looks like another.... :groan:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
Bringing over the relevant bits from Plaidmoon's great work in LIVE sightings:

OK, I did some more digging and found a few Facebook sightings from Maun, Botswana. I'm convinced now that some version of TAR was there for the last few days. I'm also thinking it's very likely that it's TAR 22 and not TAR Norway, but no one has quite spelled it out. I'm thinking that it would have been mentioned if they were speaking Norwegian and I'm guessing the Norwegian version doesn't have the budget for the Hummer mentioned below.

TAR Witness
Wow, Bots recognized, a certain reality TV show is been shot right in front of me at Maun International Airport and Mack Air Offices. I'm wondering where are these guys going from here. They are couples traveling together with each couple followed by 2 Camera crews. Somebody remind me of the name, Please <Friend 2>, you know it and watch it
Sunday at 4:08am

Friend 2 
Oh okay,the amazing race
Sunday at 11:52pm via mobile

TAR Witness
yeah Dear. they are racing in Maun.
Monday at 12:33am via mobile

The same person posted yesterday

TAR Witness
Monday at 10:55pm ·

and the race continues, Amazing race or the travel show as they told. Met one couple today as i was walking down the dirty road and they had to find the Mokoro Station. Poor people, always with camera crew. Jus gave them direction to the Mokoro Station and they refused to tell me the name of the show. Good luck Guys

I checked out Mokoro Station and it seems to be the starting point for dugout canoe tours of the shallow waterways of the Okavango River Delta. Here's a couple of links to pictures of Mokoro canoes. The second was taken earlier today, but doesn't appear to be TAR related.

https://twitter.com/worldamazingpic/status/272716801232740352/photo/1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31893776@N02/8225737057/

From reading a couple of blogs, they may see herds of elephants, hippoes, giraffe, zebras, kudus, antelopes, and buffaloes. Should be very scenic.

Also, in a moment of extreme synchronicity, Google maps announced a few hours ago that street level mapping of Botswana is now on line, including the Okavango River Delta where TAR 22 was seen.

http://google-africa.blogspot.com/2012/11/street-view-on-google-maps-now-live-in.html

Hee, we had Mack Air all along!! So let's do some more looking at Mokoro Station?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
Hmmm, if the MAck Air was Sunday, And the Mokoro Station was Monday, that suggests the second leg could possibly be a Mokoro task.

What is a Mokoro you ask??

:lol:

http://www.extraordinaryjourneys.net/blog/what-is-a-mokoro/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:34:26 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
Okay....looks like I am talking to myself again....  :hhello:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2013, 03:53:35 PM »
These are the caps from the intro related to Botswana (I don't know if they can add any further info but here they are):

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
I've been searching on Mokoro Station and find some references to Boro Mokoro Station. Google Earth doesn't find either one, but it does find Mokoro Hills way to the southwest of Maun and it doesn't appear to be somewhere you could launch canoes. Google Earth does have a Boro river that runs from northeast of Maun, then through Maun before joining another river southwest of Maun.  I think that is a likelier location.

I'm thinking that Mokoro Station isn't an exact location, but just a generic term for "somewhere that they launch mokoro canoes for tourists". It probably does have a specific meaning for the local people but there is probably more than one place, so it may be difficult to pin down. Some of the lodges in the Maun area have set up makoro canoe tours and some say they take you via a speedboat to the Mokoro Station and others mention a 4 wheel drive vehicle driving people to the Mokoro station.

Offline marylandboy234

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »
Leg 7 title quote hahahahahahaha :D

"Be Safe and Don't Hit a Cow"

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »
Already up in Media and the Ep 7 thread. :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2013, 04:53:13 PM »
Thanks Alenaveda! I had forgotten the croc, I think that + MoKoro Station makes it very likely that our second leg will be at least partially on the water.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »
This Panoramio photo of "Mokoro Station" has some coordinates, maybe Chateau can tell us where we are? :lol:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/39681943
This one may actually be too far North for us. ???

Remember that the Lodge is on the banks of the Thamalakane River, in case that helps.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:01:02 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »
I found this though,which is closer, might give us some idea:

From Maun
take the Shorobe road towards the Moremi Game Reserve. After approximately 10km along this road you will reach a circle, turn left and we are 3 km on the left hand side.

We transfer you to the mokoro station on the Boro River by motorboat (about an hour)

http://www.okavango-river-lodge.com/location.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2013, 05:11:37 PM »

You're making an awesome job! :D

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
Unfortunately, it may be a generic term, like Plaidmoon said (see here, for example).

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2013, 06:12:42 PM »
I found this though,which is closer, might give us some idea:

From Maun
take the Shorobe road towards the Moremi Game Reserve. After approximately 10km along this road you will reach a circle, turn left and we are 3 km on the left hand side.

We transfer you to the mokoro station on the Boro River by motorboat (about an hour)

http://www.okavango-river-lodge.com/location.html

I did some checking on Google Earth and your site appears to be about 50-60 km north of Maun (or 30-35 miles). Using the driving time for another I calculated in the same area, it appears they would estimate about 3 hours driving time. In the real world, I'm guessing it probably be about 2 hours. But I've never been to Africa, so maybe it really would be 10-15 mph roads.  It does appear very possible to use your site, but they would probably want to start fairly early in the morning, which is likely anyway.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »
I like Slowhatch's idea, we may not know the exact location...unless we find the crocodile sign! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2013, 07:47:20 PM »

You're making an awesome job! :D

Thanks! But it is way more fun when we all feed off each other's ideas!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:25 PM »
All the Press Pics have been updated to full sized...

Press Pics:

"Scorpion King Hunter"--In this Route Marker, Newlyweds Max (left) and Katie (right) make their was to the Hair of the Dog bar where a dancer will give them their next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 24 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved

"Scorpion King Hunter"--In Detour B, Roller Derby moms Mona (left) and Beth (right) must construct and set a snare to catch a guinea fowl in order to receive the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 24 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved

"Scorpion King Hunter"--At the Detour Decision Point, Married couple Chuck (left) and Wynona (right) must choose between Detour A "Fire" or Detour B "Fowl" in the Kalahari Desert on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 24 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved

"Scorpion King Hunter"--In Detour B, Country singers Jennifer (left) and Caroline (right) must construct and set a snare to catch a guinea fowl in order to receive the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 24 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved

"Scorpion King Hunter"--In this Road Block, Best friends Winnie (left) and Pam (center) follow the Bushmen through the Kalahari Desert in search of a scorpion and the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 24 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2013, 03:02:28 AM »
First press pic: do we get a night HoO before leaving Vietnam?? That would be interesting as a beginning of the chapter, so we will see a footrace in Botswana after being all teams in the same flight.
I think this leg should be a EL, or I hope so. This leg seems to test navigation and other skills greatly, and that is what the race is about. If you are last, you should go home, just my opinion.

Hair of the dog bar gives us direct results to "Hair of the Dog Bar Hanoi". We could see a night bunch easily then, or maybe it's open and just a simple spot to go through?

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2013, 03:05:32 AM »
BTW, Asians are told to be in the RB? really? There is a DT clue in her hand ???

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2013, 06:54:08 AM »
BTW, Asians are told to be in the RB? really? There is a DT clue in her hand ???

And the clue in Chuck hands looks like a Route Info instead of a Detour.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »

And the clue in Chuck hands looks like a Route Info instead of a Detour.

Mona and Beth are also holding a RI and not a Detour as it says

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2013, 08:26:30 PM »
Episode Sneak Peek!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:36:51 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »
Thanks so much!! I just put the RFF version up in post #2!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2013, 09:28:30 PM »
Just a reminder of sorts.

In past seasons, when teams went to Vietnam, they were required to get their airline tickets before arriving at an airport.  Unless that has changed very recently, it might be a safe assumption that teams will have to find a travel agency to get tickets once they leave the pit stop.
-- theschnauzers