Archive > The Amazing Race 22

TAR 22 Ep 5 "Your Tan IS Totally Cool"

<< < (48/50) > >>

Chateau d If:
Thanks apskip!

I think they just left it where it fell.  What happened after that is a cultural curiosity for visitors to discover.  WRP is always looking for those kinds of things in the places we visit.  I think the first order of respect goes to the local people, what they do, what they like, etc.

On the flipside, it would be real cool if WRP shows a note of tribute to the B-52 crew in this coming episode where Teams leave Hanoi.   :wohoo:

dryedmangoez:
While I can understand how Vietnam brings up horrible, painful memories for many vets and their families, the argument I'm reading all over and from Bob Beckel is that the Race somehow disrespected, insulted, and degraded American veterans.  That it was disgusting, offensive, un-American, and treasonous.  That it glorified and cheered the Vietnamese killing of American soldiers.  Many have equated the use of the location as spitting on the memory of those who died there. 

:(

I honestly don't understand.  It's not like they did a song and dance in front of it.  Nor did they even mention the propaganda posted there.
I'm not ashamed to say I'm a conservative and that I watch Fox News.  And I know it's not only conservatives outraged about it.  And I know personally how war affects families.  But I honestly don't understand how this could draw such, not just anger, but complete and utter disgust and contempt of a show that has, for 12 years and 21 seasons been nothing but respectful and reverent to every single place they've visited and been proud to give Americans the opportunity to explore the world.

georgiapeach:
I am very proud of you for what you wrote here, thank you for saying it so well!

http://dryedmangoez.com/2013/03/22/what-the-amazing-race-has-meant-to-me/

My take is that FOX is just using this as a way to boost their own ratings...not that they really care one way or the other. :lol:

Alenaveda:

--- Quote from: georgiapeach on March 23, 2013, 09:23:04 AM ---I am very proud of you for what you wrote here, thank you for saying it so well!

http://dryedmangoez.com/2013/03/22/what-the-amazing-race-has-meant-to-me/

--- End quote ---

Subscribe.  :)

georgiapeach:
MAX said this, which is a great perspective:

--- Quote ---Max Bichler My Dad is a Vietnam combat vet. It was amazing that I was able to travel there on a reality tv game show, and my father was there fighting a war...needless to say I felt pretty blessed to be there under my circumstances and not his. Generational thing for sure though, as we don't have the same connotations and memories associated with the country. I'm glad to know the history of that B-52, we all felt a bit guilty for not taking a moment to pay our respects. You want to talk about strange, as I read literature in Vietnam...it was really strange to see the war referred to as the "American War". Again, I'm very fortunate to have been able to travel there under my circumstances, and not my father's.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version