Author Topic: TAR 22 Ep 3 "Like James Bond Again"  (Read 42663 times)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 22 Ep 3 "Like James Bond Again"
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »
Well, knowing it's Phil's friend's farm doesn't help put it on a map! (What does Chateau mean when he says the house is not viewable on GE? Does he know where it is?)

But is it the same place as 0:13 on the video on your post #35?

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »
Blue house at Roadblock says HI!

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
I'm getting the "GREAT LEG" vibe from this episode.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2013, 03:14:37 PM »
Still missing the fishing. But we've got everything else!

Offline ilhamrizki

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2013, 03:15:13 PM »
Find this on twitter @PhilKeoghan

Ready 4 #AmazingRace #NewZealand? 4th visit here's a shot #TAR13 at #Pitstop @PureNewZealand @FlyAirNZ pic.twitter.com/Rgb1FR8NUU

Is that will be gonna the Pitstop for this leg?
Terrace Downs is our Pitstop then?

Photo Courtesy of Where2Golf

We already have the pitstop, Ilham.

Thanks Airlines
"Do not expect extraordinary result if you just do ordinary effort"

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2013, 03:17:25 PM »

Oh NICE!! So are they running to the boat launch instead?? ??? MAybe this isn't the RB afterall??

I don't know where I am, lol.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

Oh NICE!! So are they running to the boat launch instead?? ??? MAybe this isn't the RB afterall??

I don't know where I am, lol.

Boat lauch?

No, this is the blue house of the Roadblock:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
Nope. Everything as we thought it would be!

Fly to Auckland together. Flight delayed.
Everyone misses their original flight to Christchurch.
Scramble at Auckland Airport. Arrive staggered in Christchurch.
Drive to Rakaia Gorge Bridge.
-----
My speculation
Production decides it's too late and postpones everything to the next day.
Production inserts a sign-up for the next day.
Spend the night at Terrace Downs, which was supposed to be a regular Pit Stop.
Brought back to the bridge in the morning, but already know how to get to Terrace Downs.
-----
Take jet boat upriver. Find Detour Decision.
For teams choosing to "Rev It Up", ride ATV up the bluff to Blackford Rd.
Not sure where teams choosing "Reel It In" go, but it can't be far.
Production possibly brought the cars up to the teams?
Drive down to Mt Hutt Station (the farm of Phil's friend).
Roadblock, and the local TV crew spots them.
TV crew follows teams as they head to Terrace Downs.
Teams check in, but continue racing.
TV crew spots teams turning towards Christchurch at junction of Coleridge Rd and Hwy 77.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:41:08 PM by Neobie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »
Reportedly they may have spent the night AT the bridge...

Teams in the American version of television’s million dollar race around the world were spotted near Methven this morning taking part in a rural themed challenge at Mount Hutt Station before heading to Terrace Downs.

It’s understood the teams arrived last night and may have camped at the Rakaia Gorge overnight before jet boating on the Rakaia River early this morning.

Teams were last seen driving north through Windwhistle.

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,28045.msg816654.html#msg816654
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
Who has the blue shoes??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ilhamrizki

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
Who has the blue shoes??

I think they Bates & Anthony (maybe)
"Do not expect extraordinary result if you just do ordinary effort"

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »
This seems very much like Bates & Anthony
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2013, 05:51:59 PM »

I can't confirm this, but I could only find two locations where:
1. A house stands behind a body of water with a rounded edge
2. Is fronted on one side by shrubbery and a perpendicular side by grass
3. Is close enough to the other side of the Detour

Here and here.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:59:08 PM by Neobie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »
The first few posts have been updated with MAPS, and a small Summary!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,28503.msg845122.html#msg845122

Thanks to everyone who helped piece this together!
And let me know if you see any errors!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »

I can't confirm this, but I could only find two locations where:
1. A house stands behind a body of water with a rounded edge
2. Is fronted on one side by shrubbery and a perpendicular side by grass
3. Is close enough to the other side of the Detour

Here and here.

Your second choice works for me! :tup:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2013, 11:08:49 AM »
Best leg so far. The only thing i missed was Bungee Jump.
So happy that KOR is back. :conf: :conf: :conf: :conf:
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
Peach suggested in reply to one of my other posts about David's Achilles injury that I post my experience/observations here.

First off, my Achilles story. (posted originally to a board devoted to Achilles Tendon Injury Recovery) (Sorry for it's length)

Thought I would add my experience to this wonderful site. I am glad to know that I am not alone in this.

January 21, 2013 - The day of the annual Faculty - Student basketball game. Of course, the forty year old decides to show them youngsters up and play. The good news was that we beat them 36 -24. The bad news is with about 4 minutes to go in the game, I went up for a rebound, came down funny on my ankle and then immediately had an eighth grader come down on my lower calf. I thought that I had ruptured my Achilles but I also figured I was just an old guy and possibly just had a pulled calf muscle or at worst a sprained ankle. Never having sprained the ankle before, I decided to tough it out and wait the weekend to see how everything played out.

That Sunday I went into the Emergency Room where the er doctor had xrays taken of my leg and ankle and a sonagram of my leg to make sure to blood clots were present. Xrays came back negative, of course. The doctor said I had a moderate ankle sprain. RICE for 72 hours. Crutches for two weeks. Limited activity for four weeks. Back to regular exercise by 6 weeks. I was concerned about the Achilles because it felt unlike an Achilles should feel. It was soft and mushy as opposed to rigid and hard. He said that due to the swelling of the ankle it caused the Achilles to feel that way. Dreading an Achilles injury I went with his advice.

Fast forward, four and a half/five weeks weeks (February 23rd). I wake up to a purple foot and a calf that extends all the way down to my heel. I described it as a tree trunk. So it was back to the ER I went. This time the doctor told me that it was a high ankle sprain, much more severe than a moderate ankle sprain. He placed me in a boot for six weeks, immobilizing the ankle and allowing it to fully heal. He also gave me a referral to an orthopaedic.

Still believing in my heart of hearts that I had initially ruptured the Achilles I made an appointment to see the ortho on Monday, March 3rd. He took about two seconds to look at the leg and feel the leg as well to know that I had in fact ruptured the Achilles. (Of course, me flying through the roof and crying out in severe pain helped as well.)

All of this, fortunately, falls under workers’ compensation. So not only do they get to pay the bills but also drag their feet when it comes to actually allowing me to have the surgery. I was scheduled to have gone under the knife today but am now on hold until, hopefully, tomorrow afternoon.

I hope that all goes well whenever I do have the surgery. It is wonderful to know that so many have had success stories when it comes to repairing a ruptured Achilles. Out of all the injuries I could have suffered, this is the one I had nightmares about ever having. Now I get to live the nightmare.

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
It is said that when your Achilles' ruptures you can hear the pop. I never heard mine as I was in a loud gymnasium full of middle school students. I know that David had to have heard his pop because he knew as soon as it happened that it was ruptured. No doctor needs to tell you otherwise. You know your own body and you definitely know when this happens.

With my experience, I can definitely see why David thought he could continue on with the race. It's the competitive juices that get flowing in you. And for me there isn't even a million dollars at stake. It's the daily grind and not wanting to fully come out and say I am old and injured. lol

I am in the same boot as David was during the episode. He did everything he physically could have done. He was in pain the entire time, although not as much as the common person because of the adrenaline during the road block and detour. Driving though he would have would have been in  bunches of pain and discomfort. Also, the swelling was probably incredibly bad has he was standing on the map because he would have had little to no time to RICE the ankle. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »
Thanks sweetie! I am sorry for you both! :kuss:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
I found a few articles from the New Zealand press about episode 3 and they had some interesting information, so I thought I'd repost them here. First is an article that gives some behind the scene details about how Christchurch and the Canterbury region was chosen as a site for the episode. It has 4 pictures from the show, but I believe we have them already in the first page of this thread, so I won't repost them here.

http://www.guardianonline.co.nz/news/millions-watch-mid-canterburys-amazing-race/

Millions watch Mid Canterbury’s ‘Amazing Race’

A classic bit of Kiwi can-do attitude convinced the producers of The Amazing Race to film in Mid Canterbury last November.

The episode featuring the Rakaia Gorge and Mt Hutt Station screened in the United States yesterday afternoon to an audience of over 10 million viewers.

Experience Mid Canterbury general manager Nigel Birt yesterday revealed that the flexibility and generosity of the local farmers and tourism operators persuaded the American producers to base one episode around Methven.

True to the title of the programme, Mr Birt said that the locals had been “amazing” to accommodate all the last minute wishes of two high-profile  Hollywood producers as they were driving and flying around the Mid Canterbury countryside.

Tourism New Zealand had secured the show as part of its international marketing programme to target overseas travellers.

Mr Birt had to act quickly as he only received 24 hours warning to put a proposal together for an unidentified reality TV show and when the producers from CBS arrived a few weeks later, he said he had to “think on his feet a bit” as the Americans tried to plan their story line around the Mid Canterbury landscape.

“They’ve got no idea what you’ve got to offer and when you show them some things, their needs will change and adapt rapidly and you then have to come up with other ideas.”

At that stage Mr Birt still did not know which show he was actually pitching for “but that became clear as the day went on. It was all a bit hush-hush”.

Mr Birt said all the locals were falling over themselves to help the Americans, which convinced them to choose the Ashburton District.

“The support from the community was huge,’’ said Mr Birt, who wanted to thank the numerous people in Mid Canterbury who were involved in the bidding process.

The show’s presenter Kiwi Phil Keoghan, who grew up in Lincoln, had been the key instigator behind the Canterbury episode after growing up in the Lincoln area and becoming Canterbury Tourism’s ambassador.

“I am very proud and, of course, very excited about letting people understand what makes Canterbury such a fantastic destination,” Mr Keoghan said.

Mr Birt was full of praise for Mr Keoghan’s initiative.

“Phil was keen to do something for Canterbury after the earthquake and help it get back on its feet. It was his initiative that made all this happen.”

The Guardian understands that several regions within Canterbury were invited to pitch for the programme to be filmed in their backyard before Mid Canterbury got the nod.

Mr Birt said the opportunities that the Rakaia Gorge had to offer and the possibility to do several activities in close proximity were the decisive factor for CBS to opt for Mid Canterbury.

“They had a very tight timeframe to work to.

“We needed to keep it compact and that’s where the gorge really suited. It had all the right ingredients, like the famers and tourism operators, complete with access tracks and incredible scenery to boot.’’

The Guardian understands from recent internet blogs the contestants flew into Christchurch from the previous stop in Tahiti, before racing quad bikes and rally cars.

Mr Keoghan himself posted about ‘the shemozzle’ at Mt Hutt Station, a rural-style combat course in which the contestants had to team up with a local shepherd and his dog while completing the course and transporting some eggs.

Like in every major operation, things did not all go as planned when the plane from Tahiti was delayed and the teams did not arrive until Sunday night, instead of Sunday morning.

The Guardian understands the contestants slept in 12 tents at the Rakaia Gorge before competing the next day and racing back to Christchurch on Monday afternoon for their next leg into Asia.

With over 140 rooms booked for the production staff involved and the art department buying everything they needed, the Methven economy received a massive boost according to locals the Guardian  talked with in November.

Mr Birt, who hopes that many Americans and other nationalities will put Mid Canterbury on their wish-list, as the show and its repeats screen around the world.

“We have just showed Mid Canterbury’s landscapes and activities to tens of millions,” he said. “We could never buy that amount of exposure”.

A spokesperson for TVNZ said the Mid Canterbury episode is likely to air on our screens in over a year. TV2 is currently showing season 18, while CBS is already into season 22.

- Coen Lammers
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:38:20 AM by Plaidmoon »

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »
Here's the next story, which is mainly pointing out how good the show will be for tourism:

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/amazing-race-throws-spotlight-canterbury-5359443

The Amazing Race throws spotlight on Canterbury

Published: 3:22PM Monday March 04, 2013 Source: ONE News

Canterbury's landscapes and adventure tourism activities will get a burst of publicity to millions of TV viewers as the reality show The Amazing Race puts the spotlight on the province.

In an episode being broadcast across US prime-time TV tonight, contestants in The Amazing Race will be seen adventuring their way across the expansive Mid Canterbury region in a race to their next pit stop, at the spectacular golf resort of Terrace Downs.

The contestants will go jet boating on the Rakaia River, quad biking through high country streams, and pilot rally cars around one of New Zealand's oldest high country stations.

"We couldn't ask for better publicity for our region,'' said Experience Mid Canterbury Tourism general manager Nigel Birt.

The Amazing Race has a huge audience in the United States and many other countries and this kind of exposure is "invaluable", he said.

"It will really give viewers a taste of the adventure activities and breath-taking scenery we have to offer and hopefully inspire them to jump on a plane and come visit,'' Birt said.

Many local tourism operators assisted during the filming, which took place last November. It is the fourth time New Zealand has featured in The Amazing Race but the first time contestants in the show have visited Canterbury.
Advertisement

Phil Keoghan, the award-winning host of The Amazing Race, grew up in Canterbury and said as a proud ambassador for the region he is thrilled to introduce it to viewers in America and around the world.

"I am very proud and, of course, very excited about letting people understand what makes Canterbury such a fantastic destination," Keoghan said.

"I felt tremendous pride being able to share Canterbury with not only the crew but of course the millions of people around the world who will see what a special place we have. Places are about people and that will come through loud and clear during this very special episode.''

Christchurch & Canterbury Tourism chief executive Tim Hunter said he is thrilled Keoghan chose to feature Canterbury so prominently.

"Canterbury offers the perfect adventure environment for The Amazing Race. We are delighted with the outstanding audience reach that this opportunity provides in the high value US market. Hopefully it will lead to more Americans putting the Canterbury region on their must-visit list,'' Hunter said.

The Amazing Race episode featuring Canterbury goes to air on major American broadcast channel CBS today, Monday 4 March NZT (Sunday US time) and will also be broadcast in several other countries.

New Zealand viewers should get to see it on TV2 later this year.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:18 AM »
The last one is a web page for New Zealand tourism, which has mainly a recap of the episode and some additional tourist attractions in the Christchurch area. The text isn't anything we don't know about the episode, so I won't copy it over here. I'm including it mainly because it has some nice pictures.

http://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/amazing-race/

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »
Wow. That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing, Plaidmoon. It proves that The Amazing Race has such an huge impact. Love it!
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
And the best!!

Like in every major operation, things did not all go as planned when the plane from Tahiti was delayed and the teams did not arrive until Sunday night, instead of Sunday morning.

The Guardian understands the contestants slept in 12 tents at the Rakaia Gorge before competing the next day and racing back to Christchurch on Monday afternoon for their next leg into Asia.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
And the best!!

Which probably means that the keep on racing thing was improvised as well to get back on the original schedule.