Author Topic: TAR 22: John Erck & Jessica Hoel "Dating"  (Read 38845 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 22: John Erck & Jessica Hoel "Dating"
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
From my point of view, working with that many assumptions was indeed over-thinking. While some teams have indeed "wasted" their Express Passes similar to what John describes, they took a very huge risk in order to save a tool that is basically a safety net.

:wohoo:  Dan is in the house!!  :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2013, 12:29:06 AM »
Jessica: We're still together, and I really don't think that much has changed. We're all very happy and healthy and having a good time -- that's how we started the race, and that's how we finished it, too.

I guess she's clearly delusional too. :crazy:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2013, 01:48:48 AM »
Jessica: We're still together, and I really don't think that much has changed. We're all very happy and healthy and having a good time -- that's how we started the race, and that's how we finished it, too.

I guess she's clearly delusional too. :crazy:

Denial is not just a river in Egypt...

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »
Let me simply say one thing: After reading the interviews and watching the insider videos, I realize just how much I hate the soundbyte editing that makes it so hard to know objectively how things really played out. John & Jessica really weren't half as dumb as the show portrayed them to be. When statements and actions are taken out of context, this is exactly what happens: So many viewers jump on a "bandwagon" and mock the team for being "dumb" and "mindless." In reality, the team wasn't "dumb" at all, it was the editors who were "dumb" for not giving the viewers a more accurate picture of what actually happened. I value the show's magical quality and larger-than-life nature infinitely more than its cheap and overly-dramatic editing "experiences" that didn't really happen.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:45:05 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »
Hooky, but they had an Express Pass and didn't use it? Chuck was there along with John at the final task and they were banking on Mona and Beth being behind them, where at one point of the episode they know they were before them at the other detour. Banking on the fact that there was one more clue in the cluebox and banking on the fact of something that they do not know is just dumb.

Editors can't give them a dumb edit for not using an EP if they didn't do it. Just like how editors just can't edit Jonathan as a really rude husband towards Victoria if he haven't done anything to her.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2013, 05:17:14 PM »
Hooky, but they had an Express Pass and didn't use it? Chuck was there along with John at the final task and they were banking on Mona and Beth being behind them, where at one point of the episode they know they were before them at the other detour. Banking on the fact that there was one more clue in the cluebox and banking on the fact of something that they do not know is just dumb.

Editors can't give them a dumb edit for not using an EP if they didn't do it. Just like how editors just can't edit Jonathan as a really rude husband towards Victoria if he haven't done anything to her.

It's true that it did actually happen, but they still took the team's comments out of context. It's not possible for them to invent something that didn't happen, but it is possible for them to portray it inaccurately or in an incomplete manner. In this case, that is what happened.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »
^^That's called editing. They have done it since season 1, remember all the early sound bytes that were clearly edited in out of context? I can remember racers saying the didn't get to ESM back in the day until TPTB got the soundbytes they wanted...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
i think John will be a good Survivor cast just because he think about the whole thing 2nd EP and alliance..  :lol3:

Next season on Survivor, a contestant gets eliminated with an immunity idol in his pocket.

Hasn't that happened several times?

I thought this team was annoying at first and still do but I'm glad they were on this season because their epic meltdown was highly entertaining. Definitely one of the most memorable eliminations.

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »
If I were Wynona and that Express Pass team was considering using the Pass, I would have been all like "But there's still a team behind don't waste it!"

Would have been a great/strategic lie (at least in my eyes – and if the team actually buys it :lol:)

That's a great idea! I bet Max/Katie would have done it :lol:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2013, 07:55:23 AM »
i think John will be a good Survivor cast just because he think about the whole thing 2nd EP and alliance..  :lol3:

Next season on Survivor, a contestant gets eliminated with an immunity idol in his pocket.

Hasn't that happened several times?

I thought this team was annoying at first and still do but I'm glad they were on this season because their epic meltdown was highly entertaining. Definitely one of the most memorable eliminations.

You will have to forgive me, I don't really watch Survivor.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »
Probably the funniest elimination I have ever seen. During this scene, my family kept on  :lol3: . :D
Anyway, their elimination was also funny because of John's creepy smile on his face the whole time.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
Guys , check our Joey & Meghan's reviews about leg 4 . Both of them included John & Jessica and they had a cool chat about the race and that leg!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »
Yes, indeed, Declive. The air time given to Jessica on that video showed that she is articulate and very beautiful.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »
They had one of the most epic eliminations ever <3
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline BuuYaa

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR 22 <3; TAR 23 must be better
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
unfinished business? maybe? anyone????
Please Bring'em back:
=======================================
MM: Jaymes&James; Mark&Bopper
FF: Caroline&Jennifer; Pam&Winnie; Natalie&Nadiya;
MF: Joey&Meghan;
Couple : Max&Katie; Abby&Ryan; Brendon&Rachel; Amani&Marcus;
Elder Couple : Chuck&Wynona; Bill&Cathi;
======================================

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »
No.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Daniel

• RFF Full Member
TAR Canada: Vanessa & Celina
TAR 23: Tim & Marie, Nicky & Kim, Tim & Danny

She's really pissed that we're asking her because she has BUSINESS to do.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
No.

However, if this turns out to be an Unfinished Business, they have quite a great shot at getting chosen because of their errr... story.
Nope. They were done by their own overconfidence and mistakes, I don't think they deserve a second chance
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »
Or rather... John brought the team down. :stare

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2013, 02:59:02 AM »
No.

However, if this turns out to be an Unfinished Business, they have quite a great shot at getting chosen because of their errr... story.
Nope. They were done by their own overconfidence and mistakes, I don't think they deserve a second chance

Gosh, you people are so negative. He only asked a question, sheesh.

And I'd actually love to see them race again. I want to know how far they'd be able to go, I think they would have had a great shot had they actually used the express pass.