Author Topic: TAR 22: Joey Graceffa & Meghan Camarena "Friends/YouTube Hosts"  (Read 121925 times)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 22: Joey Graceffa & Meghan Camarena "Friends/YouTube Hosts"
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2013, 10:58:50 PM »
The montage at the end of Meghan's video kind of made me sad. :( So glad that they both had tons of fun on the race.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:49 PM »
After watching that recap. This is one team I wouldn't mind seeing on the next Unfinished Business... but they need to race faster. :lol3:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2013, 05:01:23 PM »
BEST.TEAM.OF.THE.SEASON. Just saw the last vid, and they need to be on the All-Stars PLZ!

laimis

« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »
BEST.TEAM.OF.THE.SEASON. Just saw the last vid, and they need to be on the All-Stars PLZ!

NO ew. lol

you are EW, lol </3 ;)

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: May 01, 2013, 11:36:27 PM »
http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRace/article/Joey-and-Meghan-says-failing-to-look-for-an-earlier-flight-was-their-e28098biggest-mistakee28099-on-e28098Racee28099

Joey and Meghan say failing to look for an earlier flight was their ‘biggest mistake’ on ‘Race’
by: Sheri Block

YouTube hosts Joey Graceffa and Meghan Camarena from Los Angeles were the next team to be eliminated from “The Amazing Race” after failing to look for an earlier flight to Edinburgh, Scotland, and arriving in the city behind the majority of the other teams. Racing neck and neck with their alliance, roller derby moms Mona and Beth, Joey and Meghan fell behind after being U-turned and arrived last at the Pit Stop.

The team spoke to CTV.ca about their time on the “Race” in a recent phone interview. Excerpts are below.

You thought you were on the first flight to Edinburgh (along with the derby moms) -- how did it feel when you got there and realized that three other teams were already ahead of you?

Meghan: It was gut-wrenching. That sucked because we were so confident in knowing that we had got the earlier flight. The moms had booked their tickets online so they had checked for the earlier flight and we had kind of been assured that was the only one available. Our alliance (with the derby moms) had come in handy in the past with booking flights so we totally trusted them and thought we didn’t need to look for another flight.

That was our biggest mistake because in the past we’ve been so thorough with that. We’ve always looked for an earlier flight, even after we booked our tickets. We just got comfortable. It was so early in the morning, too, I think we were a little off our game.

How did it feel to be neck and neck with Mona and Beth, a team that you were friends with?

Joey: It was so hard. Throughout the whole thing we didn’t really know if we were actually in last. We were still working together up until the haggis (challenge). It just felt wrong.

You were U-turned and had to complete both sides of the Detour. Which side was worse – making and eating haggis or rolling the barrels up a hill?

Meghan: The barrels were the absolute worst. They were so heavy and one of my barrels had horse poop on it so I got covered in horse poop as we were rolling it. I was covered in haggis and horse poop.

Joey: Same – the barrels were worse. It was so cold outside and our hands were bare. Pushing the barrels up the hill, our hands felt like they were going to fall off at the end.

Besides finding an earlier flight, do you think there is anything else you could’ve done differently?

Joey: It was really hard to find the Pit Stop. We kept having to stop to find directions. There’s nothing you can really change about that.

Meghan: The moms were really on it. This felt like this was a leg that was made for the moms – making the haggis and the whiskey barrels. They killed it. They did so well.

What was it like running the “Race” with each other?

Joey: It was really good. I definitely am happy that I chose Meghan as my partner.

Meghan: It was so much fun. We both can kind of see the brighter side of things. We love adventure and we love having fun together so it was a blast the whole way through.

What’s next for you guys?

Meghan: Working on our YouTube videos – pitching a lot more acting and creating our own stuff and seeing what doors that opens.

Do you think being on the “Race” has helped with your exposure?

Meghan: I cried in Switzerland so maybe people are going to be like, ‘Maybe she can cry in this video for me’ and that will be my (acting) debut. Or if people want me to trip and fall somewhere, I’m so down for that.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: May 01, 2013, 11:38:40 PM »
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-joey-graceffa-and-meghan-camarena-talk-the-amazing-race-%28part-2%29-14743.php

Exclusive: Joey Graceffa and Meghan Camarena talk 'The Amazing Race' (Part 2)
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski

Joey Graceffa and Meghan Camarena were eliminated from The Amazing Race during Sunday night's tenth broadcast of the CBS reality competition's 22nd season.

The "Friends and YouTube Hosts" became the sixth team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's ninth Pit Stop at Niddry Street South, a cobblestone alleyway in Edinburgh, Scotland, in last place.

In an exclusive interview with Reality TV World on Monday, Joey and Meghan talked about their The Amazing Race experience. Below is the concluding portion of their interview. Click here to read the first half.

Reality TV World: How did you guys feel about Max Bichler and Katie Bichler in general? Because earlier in the Race, it looked like you guys were frustrated with Max for making fun of John Erck for getting eliminated with an Express Pass in his pocket.

Joey Graceffa: We really didn't like Max. We got along with Katie. She was actually really funny, but watching the show and seeing all the things they said bad about us, it's just like, "Wow, they were super fake to us," like we totally thought that they were kind of nice -- except I could see right through Max.

Meghan Camarena: Yeah, he was rude.

Joey Graceffa: But Katie, that threw me off because she was actually like a "B" word. (Laughs)

Meghan Camarena: (Laughs)

Reality TV World: When I talked to Pamela Chien and Winnie Sung recently, they basically said they thought that was just Max's personality -- someone who's funny, sarcastic and jokes a lot. Looking back, do you see that perspective at all? It kind of sounds like you'd just simply disagree with that school of thought.

Meghan Camarena: I think Max is kind of a jerk. I think he was trying to get laughs out of people, but he kind of crossed the line of being a bully and just like making fun of other people because of, I don't know.

I have no idea what his motives were with doing that, but he definitely did cross the line. It felt like high school, like people being bullies for no other reason except for like -- I don't know.

Reality TV World: In terms of your alliance with Mona Egender and Beth Bandimere, do you guys think you had a real friendship with them or was it more for strategic purposes or maybe because they were kind of all you had for support?

Meghan Camarena: Watching the episode when they were talking about it, it seemed like we cared about them a lot more than they cared about us.

Joey Graceffa: Yeah, like, "Try to lose them! Try to lose them!" (Laughs)

Meghan Camarena: And we're like, "Ohh the derby moms!" (Laughs) Frickin' Mona jumped over trash cans and we had no idea at this time that we were racing for last.

Reality TV World: For the whiskey barrel Detour task, the clue instructed you to roll the barrels to the festival but Bates Battaglia and Anthony Battaglia kept picking them up and carrying them, which some viewers thought would result in a time penalty or something. Can you kind of clarify what happened there? Had the clue not stated you necessarily "had" to roll them or did Bates and Anthony actually get a penalty but it just wasn't shown in the editing?

Joey Graceffa: No, it just said transport them whichever way you can without getting help from people.

Meghan Camarena: Oh, but there was also an asterisk at the bottom of the clue that said, "If you are a professional athlete and have super-human strength, you can lift the barrels up above your head."

Joey Graceffa: (Laughs)

Reality TV World: So I'm guessing you two might've tried that but didn't succeed? (Laughs)

Joey Graceffa: Actually, we tried pushing multiple barrels at a time, thinking like, "Oh the other barrel will push this barrel in front of it." We tried three at a time and then were like, "Alright, let's bring it down to two."

Meghan Camarena: I was like, "How did they do it in Donkey Kong?!" (Laughs)

Reality TV World: I wanted to get your thoughts on Chuck McCall and Wynona McCall's time penalty during last week's episode for rolling their cheese wheels instead of transporting them on the sled? They thought that penalty was pretty unfair.

Meghan Camarena: Well, keeping the cheese on the sled was really freaking hard.

Joey Graceffa: Yeah, that was the most difficult part. You had to go slow down the hill to make sure you didn't lose your cheese halfway up the hill and have to go all the way back up.

Meghan Camarena: So that was definitely the challenge in itself. Sliding down the hill was no problem, but when the cheese fell off, it was really hard to pick it up and put it back on the sled.

So I can understand why they did get that penalty, because it wasn't an easy task. And I mean, like, we could've done that from the beginning too. We would have, but the challenge itself was keeping the cheese on the sled.

Reality TV World: When you two showed up at that particular Pit Stop, you were pretty convinced you were out. Is that right?

Meghan Camarena: Well, Joey wasn't.

Joey Graceffa: I felt like it wasn't our time and I was just like, "No, there's no way." So I had a lot of hope, like, "Please, there's got to be something."

Meghan Camarena: I was at my breaking point. You know, I had run three miles uphill in the snow both ways, and I was just so tired and giving it my all. And it felt like we had come in last place because of me because I wasn't strong enough and I wasn't fast enough and Chuck and Wynona had beaten us. So I was feeling all of that weight and it kind of just led to my breakdown.

Reality TV World: Could you describe the thought process behind running to the Pit Stop? Did it not cross your mind to take a taxi or did you think the Pit Stop was a lot closer than it actually was?

Meghan Camarena: There were no taxis, like all of the taxis were up at the top of the hill. So we were just waiting for a taxi, and Chuck and Wynona had finished the cheese thing so much later than us, that of course all the taxis had come down. And while we were running, we were looking for taxis. There just wasn't any. It was a small town.

Joey Graceffa: We even stopped at a hotel and they were like, "Oh yeah, we have one taxi but it's gone. We can get you one in 10 minutes." I was like, "No, we're just going to run the rest of the way" after that.

Reality TV World: I know you're both YouTube hosts but how well did you know each other before the show? Your relationship wasn't as clear as some of the other teams. Would you consider yourselves best friends?

Joey Graceffa: Yeah, we've been friends for like four years.

Meghan Camarena: Before we both lived in L.A. we would like talk on Skype a whole bunch. We both would do music videos when we first started, so that kind of bonded us together along with all the other nerdy things that we like.

Reality TV World: So you knew each other before you started working together then?

Meghan Camarena: Yes, absolutely.

Reality TV World: How were you cast on The Amazing Race and was it your first time applying for the show?

Joey Graceffa: Yeah, it was our first time applying and we went in and they liked us, and yeah!

Meghan Camarena: And they were like, "You're perfect, go ahead!" (Laughs)

Joey Graceffa: Actually, we were alternates but we ended up getting on.

Reality TV World: How much notice did you two receive that you'd be racing before filming actually began? Was it a last minute situation?

Joey Graceffa: No, I think we had like a month.

Reality TV World: Would you ever be interested in competing in an all-stars edition if given the opportunity or were you almost a little relieved the Race was over when it was?

Joey Graceffa: I think we were really relieved when it was over and we were like, "I don't know if we could do that again!" But now, like we're so pumped up, we want to do it again.

Meghan Camarena: I'm so ready! Put us back in the arena! We're like Katniss and Peeta, we'll do it.

Reality TV World: Katniss and Peeta minus the fact they were sort of in love right? (Laughs)

Meghan Camarena: Yeah, we're just friends! (Laughs)

Joey Graceffa: (Laughs)

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #182 on: May 01, 2013, 11:41:35 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/amazing-race-joey-meghan-elimination-448432

'Amazing Race': Joey and Meghan on Their Elimination
by Kimberly Nordyke

The eliminated YouTube hosts talk to THR about getting a second chance and why most of the other teams were "jerks."

Joey Graceffa and Meghan Camarena escaped elimination once -- due to Chuck and Wynona McCall's failure to follow a clue properly in a previous leg -- but they weren't so lucky in Sunday night's episode of The Amazing Race.

The double U-turn in Scotland resulted in two of the remaining five teams battling it out for the fourth spot: Joey and Meghan and their alliance mates, "roller-derby moms" Mona Egender and Beth Bandimere.

On Monday, the eliminated YouTube hosts talked to The Hollywood Reporter about their time on the race, getting a second chance and whether they'd do it again.

The Hollywood Reporter: When did you realize you were going to be last?

Joey: We thought before the haggis there was possibly a team behind us, but once we got to the haggis, it was just us and Mona and Beth. They finished before us, and with the U-turn, and us finishing that last, we kind of had a feeling.

Meghan: We had a glimmer of hope that something might have happened. We were holding out hope until Phil [Keoghan] told us we were eliminated.

Joey: I was crying up to the mat; I knew it deep down.

THR: The first time you were eliminated -- but saved due to Chuck and Wynona's error -- you were really emotional, Meghan. But this time, Joey seemed like the more emotional one.

Meghan: When we were in Switzerland, after running miles uphill in the snow and giving our all, and then seeing Chuck and Wynona [on the mat], it was so disappointing.  This time, I just wanted to wait until we got there. It's not over until it's over. But believe me, tears were shed. Once Phil told us [we were eliminated], my heart broke inside. It felt unreal. Like "Phil, are you serious?"

THR: What was going through your minds the first time you found out you hadn't actually been eliminated?

Joey: It was total relief. We were so excited we got to continue on. It definitely sparked a fire in us, and we worked really hard. We got second place in Germany [the previous leg].

Meghan: It felt like we had a second chance at really giving it our all. It was more fun this time around. You never know when it's over, it's so unpredictable. That was our attitude.

THR: What went wrong at the airport? Both you and Mona/Beth thought you were on the first flight out, but in fact landed more than two hours after the other three teams.

Joey: Max and Katie were smart to stay at the hotel and do some research. We got super amped-up and wanted to get to the airport as soon as possible because we thought there might be a flight leaving. We didn't take the time to stop and look at a computer as we had done in the past legs. This time, it kind of felt like the airport might have a computer, but everything was closed when we got there. So we went to the earliest-opening airline, which I guess we thought was connected to everything, and it wasn't.
Meghan: That was our mistake, not being more thorough. Our state of mind was probably not the best at that point. It was early in the morning. We got the last available tickets on the flight and thought everyone else was leaving three hours after us.

Joey: All the teams were in line with us, and we thought, oh this is great. They're leaving three hours later, we don't have to do any more research. But by this time we were 21 days in the race and we were exhausted.

THR: At the point you were eliminated, is it safe to say you were rooting for Mona and Beth to win over the other three teams?

Joey: All the other teams were jerks, and everyone was against us the whole time. We were so lonely on the race. We were lucky to have Mona and Beth there to support us; they were our "race moms."

Meghan: They were seriously our support system, and we were been cheering for them. We told everyone they have to keep watching [to support] the derby moms.

THR: What was the best thing about being on the race?

Joey: Just the adventure of not knowing what was next and going to different countries and experiencing the culture.

Meghan: We watch a lot of movies, and it felt like Joey and I were in our own little adventure.

Joey: There were a lot of bad times but it was definitely good overall. It was an amazing experience, and I'd love to do it again.

Meghan: The memories we have and experiences we shared together, it was once in a lifetime. I'd do it again.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: May 01, 2013, 11:45:11 PM »
http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/interview-joey-meghan-talk-the-amazing-race

Interview: Joey & Meghan talk 'The Amazing Race'
Team YouTube discusses being disliked by the competition
By Daniel Fienberg

YouTube stars Joey Graceffa and Meghan Camarena seemed to be having a lot of fun on "The Amazing Race," so it's a little bit sad to hear the newly eliminated duo discussing their disappointment that the other teams seemed to dislike them on the Race.

It wasn't all of the other teams, of course. Joey & Meghan made an early alliance with John & Jessica and Roller Derby Moms Mona & Beth, targeting Hockey Brothers Bates & Anthony, the team they felt [correctly, so far] was the biggest threat. That, of course, left them feeling targeted by Bates & Anthony, but also by the other teams aligned with the friendly pro athletes.

"It really just seemed like people on the Race didn't like us, genuinely, just really didn't want us there and it made us kinda feel a little crappy," Meghan says now. 'It kinda reminded me of high school when I used to get picked on, so I was just like, "What is this feeling? I am grown up. This shouldn't be happening.'"

Awww.

Team YouTube discusses that Race dynamic, as well as their other highlights and lowlights in this week's "Amazing Race" exit interview.

HitFix: Sunday's episode at least made it seem like you guys had a chance to catch Mona & Beth after the U-Turn. Did it feel that way at the time?

Joey Graceffa: No.

Meghan Camarena: Well, honestly, that's not completely true. We had no idea. You never know til it's over. That's what we had learned in Switzerland. They could have gotten lost.

Joey: That's true. I don't know. I was just a little down. I was already crying pushing the barrels up the hill. I was just like, "Oh, it's over!" They ran past us after they finished their U-Turn and they were like, "Good job guys!" and I was just, "Oh, we're done! We still have like four more barrels to go."

HitFix: When you guys remember how hard it was to get those barrels up that hill, what was your reaction watching last night's episode and seeing how Bates and Anthony did it?

Joey: It just proved to us that they are beasts and they should have been the ones U-Turned, if they could freakin' carry a whole barrel up on their shoulders.

Meghan: Yeah, that's crazy! I just don't understand how we got U-Turned and they didn't. Well, obviously they were there first, but, you know...

HitFix: You guys made your alliance early on and it was partially because you recognized Bates and Anthony as threats, right?

Meghan: Yeah! And also John and Jessica, they were a really strong team and they had the Express Pass and the Derby Moms were definitely a strong team as well, so we figured, "Let's all work together, look out for each other and get to the top together and get the Hockey Players out of this race, because they're professional athletes. No one stands a chance." You know? That's how we felt.

HitFix: Were you guys maybe disappointed that there weren't more tasks concentrating on maybe the things you guys do well, rather than maybe carrying barrels up a hill?

Meghan: Well, up until that point, all the tasks were actually pretty fun.

Joey: Yeah, I think we were able to do all the Detours pretty fast.

Meghan: Even the cheese one. That was kinda a blast!

HitFix: When you think on that alliance you guys had, how did you feel like it helped you and how did you feel like maybe it hurt you to some degree?

Joey: I guess we can start with how it hurt us. We possibly made the alliance a little too early, which really scared the other teams and made them have something against us for the entire Race, even when our alliance was not as strong as it was in the beginning...

Meghan: People still hated us.

Joey: Yeah. It definitely helped us, because the Race is actually really long and more emotionally straining than physically, just because...

Meghan: When you have everyone hating you and talking crap about you, you can feel that and it's awkward when you walk next to people. It was nice having the Derby Moms as our alliance, because we knew that they actually did care about us and were looking out for us like we were looking out for them. But in the beginning, when we made the alliance with John and Jessica, no one knew they were going to get out. With the Express Pass! That was something that none of us saw coming. And they were one of the strongest teams. They kept getting in the Top Three and they still had the Express Pass, so we felt like when we made that alliance, it was a smart move. No one saw that coming.

HitFix: What was your reaction watching the episode in which John and Jessica went out with that Express Press?

Meghan: That was sad.

Joey: It was really sad.

Meghan: When I found out they were out, I ended up crying, because I was so sad. We had fun with them so much and they were like good friends and it really felt like we had an awesome alliance family and then to see them gone so quickly, I just didn't believe it.

Joey: And then the next day, all the teams turned against us.

HitFix: How bad did things really get with the other teams out there?

Meghan: It was just like how you saw it on TV, nothing short of that. They just didn't like us.

Joey: It was more like they'd be silent to us and we could tell that they didn't like us, but actually seeing it on TV and seeing all the things that they said about us...

Meghan: That's true. That was a little worse. We were nice to everyone. We can't help it. It's not in our nature to be mean or cold-hearted to people, so even knowing that the teams really didn't like us, we were still really nice to everyone.

HitFix: It's just hard to tell on TV, because obviously you aren't going head-to-head, so it's hard to see any outright hostility, but was this the kind of thing that actually hampered the enjoyment you guys were getting out there?

Joey: Yeah, definitely.

Meghan: Yeah.

Joey: It was really hard just knowing all the teams were against us. It was kinda depressing, but we still had the Roller Derby Moms, which was...

Meghan: Reassuring. I felt like they really hated us and we had no idea why. When I've watched the Race, it seemed like you'd get out the strongest competitor and that's the reason you'd [muffled]. But it really just seemed like people on the Race didn't like us, genuinely, just really didn't want us there and it made us kinda feel a little crappy. It kinda reminded me of high school when I used to get picked on, so I was just like, "What is this feeling? I am grown up. This shouldn't be happening."

HitFix: Have you had the chance or desire to talk to the other teams subsequently to see if you relate better outside of that environment?

Joey: No, not really.

Meghan: No.

Joey: We're kinda a little hurt about it still.

Meghan: Max tweeted us, "It's just a game," but I don't know. They seemed to get a little personal. There was no reason for us to seek out any friendships from this point.

HitFix: Going back to Sunday's episode, when you guys got to the mat, Phil noted that there were two different times this season when you arrived at the end thinking you were done, Switzerland and Scotland. How do those two times feel different in your mind, looking back at them?

Joey: In Switzerland, for some reason I just didn't believe it. I was like, "There's no way that we're going out." Like, "How did Chuck and Wynona beat us?" Like, "No! This isn't real." So I didn't accept it.

Meghan: And I was already there, because after running three miles in the snow and being completely exhausted and just to see them there? It felt like the ultimate... Like, "I slowed us down. I couldn't run fast enough. And we got beat by Chuck and Wynona after running for so long." I had kinda had my breakdown on the Race. But in Scotland, the roles had switched. I was hoping that maybe something had happened like, "Maybe another team was behind us, maybe another someone got a four-hour penalty. You never know!" And then Phil cut to the chase so quick. "You're in last. You got eliminated. Go home."

HitFix: How hard was it for you guys to watch the Switzerland episode and to see all of the teams just jump in cabs after the cheese-rolling and to watch yourselves go on that three-mile walk?

Joey: Oh my God. I cried more for that episode than the one we got eliminated. It just brought back so many memories of just how hard that was and wishing we were able to find a taxi.

Meghan: There really were none, though. We took the only option that we could and that was that if we could find a taxi along the way then we would take one, but there wasn't any. That was an emotional episode to rewatch. I started crying again just because it was so sad. I gave it everything I had. I felt like my body was going to freaking shut-down.

HitFix: Is that something were you come out stronger on the other side? Or just where you come out exhausted and crushed on the other side?

Joey: We definitely came out stronger. Berlin was our next Leg and we totally kicked butt that time.

HitFix: From what we saw, you guys seemed to get along really well out there, but I'd love some drama. Were there any tough moments between the two of you that maybe we didn't see?

Joey: Yeah, for sure. We definitely fought a little bit.

Meghan: And it was over stupid stuff, though, to be honest. It was stuff like a direction call or a decision being made and we'd kinda fight back and forth like, "No, no, Joey. I think this needs to be done." And he's like, "No, Meghan. I think we need to do this." Or, "We should go this way!" It was silly things like that.

Joey: I think even in Scotland, I think they showed a little bit, just trying to find the castle and I was like, "Meghan, I think we passed it." And she was like, "No. Let's just keep going forward." And luckily, we did what she thought and kept going forward, because the castle was up ahead.

Meghan: We tried not to bicker at each other in those type of situations, because everything is up for chance. You never know?

HitFix: In the balance would you say that you guys did better working together than you expected you would?

Joey: Yeah, definitely. It took a while for us to get in the groove of it, but once we did, we worked really well together.

Meghan: Yeah, there were tasks where we didn't even need to talk to each other and we just worked so quickly and efficiently.

HitFix: I know you guys spend lots of time watching and critiquing and editing yourselves in order to do your YouTube videos. Did that make you extra critical when it came to watching yourselves and the edit you got on the show?

Joey: I was nervous every single episode. Just like, "Oh gosh, what clips are they gonna keep in of me of stupid stuff I said?" But all in all, I think we had a really good edit it really portrayed us like we were on the show.

Meghan: Yeah, when we were on the show, I feel like we didn't change who we were. We definitely were ourselves, just like how you see us on YouTube.

HitFix: Did anything make it in that you felt embarrassed by?

Joey: I don't think so. Just my reactions to stuff and... just the little things. It was like, "Oh gosh."

Meghan: It would have been nice if they'd edited out when I fell a few times, but that's OK. It was good television, right?

HitFix: What would you guys say that this show has done in terms of your online visibility and the avenues it hope it opens up from here?

Joey: It's gotten me recognized a lot at Target...

Meghan: From an older demographic. We usually get recognized by younger kids, but we've been stopped a few more times by moms and stuff like that, which is interesting.

Joey: We went to a YouTube convention last month and it's more kids like 13 to 18 is my demographic, but their parents came with them and wanted to take pictures with me too, so it was parents and kids.

Meghan: That's been the coolest thing, is our fans are telling us that they're watching the show with their parents and it's kinda cool to see that happen. As far as numbers changes, we haven't really seen anything too drastic from the Race, but the YouTube community has really gotten behind us and helped us and promoted us and been really proud of us being on the show, so we've seen a really huge pool from that.

HitFix: And opportunities that might now be presented going forward?

Joey: Both of us are pursuing more scripted, acting stuff.

Meghan: I'm producing a lot more stuff, too, so it's really exciting.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:51:30 PM by slayton »

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: May 01, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »
http://www.yakkityyaks.com/the-amazing-race-the-yak-chats-with-joey-and-meghan/

The Amazing Race: The Yak Chats with Joey and Meghan

Airport mishaps and Double U-Turns faced the teams in the latest leg of The Amazing Race this week, as they continued their trek around the globe with a stop in Scotland. When the first 3 teams, consisting of Max & Katie, Bates & Anthony, and Caroline & Jennifer, grabbed an earlier flight to Scotland, it left Mona & Beth and Joey Graceffa (@JoeyGraceffa) & Meghan Camarena (@Strawburry17) to battle it out at the back of the pack. The Double U-Turn, which had the teams make (and then eat) haggis and roll barrels of Whiskey up-hill to a party, slowed down the YouTube hosts and ultimately led to their elimination this week. The Yak sat down with the peppy dynamic duo to discuss their race around the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Yak: It was a great leg of the race, but it was tough to see you battle it out with Mona and Beth for last place.
Meghan: Right? That was sad.
Joey: Yeah.

The Yak: So, I have to know, which was tougher: the barrels of Whiskey or the haggis?
Joey: The barrels.
Meghan: Barrels.
Joey: They were like 10 times harder.
Meghan: That haggis was delicious! Haggis has a bad rap! We hadn’t eaten all day, so maybe it did taste just like chocolate cake for some reason, but that thing was amazing. The barrels were a complete hell.

The Yak: Obviously, both you and the Moms had to do both Detours thanks to the Double U-Turn. How far behind were you once you made it to the Pit Stop?
Joey: We don’t really know, but we want to say it was maybe a half-hour or so.
Meghan: We really had no clue. As we were racing to the mat, we were thinking, “Maybe… Maybe!”, but we had no idea.

The Yak: If you had made it onto the earlier flight with the other 3 teams, who would you have U-Turned or would you have used it at all?
Meghan: It would have been the hockey players.
The Yak: Did you perceive them as the biggest threats?
Meghan: They’re professional athletes. They’re everyone’s biggest threats.
Joey: Yeah, people are stupid for not seeing that.

The Yak: Joey, before you left for the race, you mentioned you had a fear of flying. Were you able to overcome that fear and were there any flights in particular that were terrifying for you?
Joey: I got over that fear real quick! Also, being with all the teams helped. It wasn’t a problem.

The Yak: What was your favorite location along the race?
Joey: Berlin, Germany, for sure. Well, I guess that was the most fun.
Meghan: I liked Bora Bora.
Joey: Yeah, Bora Bora. New Zealand.
Meghan: New Zealand.
Joey: Those were both great!

The Yak: What was your favorite challenge?
Meghan: It wasn’t a challenge, but when we got to jump off the building [The Park Inn in Berlin, Germany], that was sick.
Joey: Yeah, that was fun. My favorite Road Block was the labyrinth one inside the Salon.

The Yak: Even after being prepared for the race, did anything surprise you during your journey?
Meghan: This sounds foolish, but I really wasn’t expecting the amount of hate that we got from all the other teams. I felt like I was back in high school and being picked on. It felt like we were being picked on, and it was the worst.
Joey: Also, I thought we’d have a lot more money for food and stuff. I was hungry the entire race! I should have packed some Clif bars! The way they give us the money, they don’t tell us what’s ahead. We could have used the money for a cab or for a cheeseburger. It was our choice.
The Yak: That’s good advice for anyone that’s planning on applying for future seasons of the race. Make sure you come prepared!
Joey: Definitely bring Clif bars!

The Yak: Speaking of being prepared, did you do anything special to prepare yourself for the race once you found out you had been selected as one of the teams?
Joey: I was working with a personal trainer five days a week. So, I was prepared that way. We also watched a ton of previous seasons.
The Yak: Did you find that it helped you out on the race by studying the previous seasons?
Joey: Yeah, it gave us an idea of what to expect for our season.
Meghan: For sure!
Joey: There’s no way to know what we’re going to encounter, but it’s good to know what people do in different situations.

The Yak: Were you able to get close with any of the other teams beyond Mona & Beth, and have you kept in touch since the race ended?
Meghan: John and Jessica. We’re really close with them, and they actually live pretty close to us, so we still talk with them.
Joey: Yeah, we’ve hung out with them a few times.

The Yak: Was there ever a time when you weren’t entirely sure of yourselves or you second-guessed what you were doing on the race?
Joey: We were second-guessing ourselves all the time, and I think that’s what really screwed us up.
Meghan: At the beginning of the race, we did that a lot! Then we realized that we needed to make a decision and commit to it. In New Zealand, we did that the whole time, and we could have finished way sooner then we had, so after that, we stopped second-guessing ourselves.
Joey: Also, for a lot of the race we were busy worrying about what the other teams were up to, so in Berlin when we didn’t see any of the other teams, we focused on what we had to do and we came in second place. I think that was the key to it.
The Yak: Is that good advice for future teams: Make a gut decision and stick with it?
Joey: Yeah.
Meghan: Definitely.

The Yak: What’s next for the two of you?
Meghan: Geez, who knows what’s next? We’re definitely pursuing more acting and continuing our YouTube channel. Also, seeing what opportunities open up after this. We’re really creative people, so anything that has to do with that, I’m sure you’ll see us being a part of that.

The Yak: We appreciate you sitting down with us, and we wish you the best of luck to you in the future!
Joey and Meghan: Thank you!

Offline Stylemikro

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »

You said it all! Great team spirit :D

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: May 02, 2013, 09:19:40 AM »
It became moot with the Chuck and Wynona penalty, but I believe that Joey and Meghan made a strategic error in not calling for the taxi at the hotel and waiting for it there. That approach seemed too passive to them but actually should have gotten them to the pit stop ahead of Chuck and Wynona.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #187 on: May 02, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »
Thanks slayton for all the nice interviews!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Puppet

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Arcanine <3
« Reply #188 on: May 05, 2013, 02:14:37 AM »
I like Meghan, but find Joey a little too excited and whiny? Overall, I am quite okay with them! Glad to see that they enjoyed the race and I don't mind seeing them again!
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person and she looks perfect
I don't deserve this, you look perfect tonight

laimis

« Reply #189 on: May 05, 2013, 09:53:16 AM »
Finally the most annoying team is out. Out of all the seasons 5-22 they have to be the most annoying team ever.

can u finally stop? O_o we all already understood that you don't like them

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:24 AM »
The last two seasons haven't produced many with Allstar potential, but I think Joey and Meghan deserve a chance.  I enjoyed the recaps they did too, racers don't normally seem to do much like that.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2013, 05:00:53 AM »
Finally the most annoying team is out. Out of all the seasons 5-22 they have to be the most annoying team ever.

Art and JJ say hi.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:41 AM »

Art and JJ say hi.
LEENNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Daniel

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

Art and JJ say hi.
LEENNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
HURRY UP VICTORIA!!!!!
TAR Canada: Vanessa & Celina
TAR 23: Tim & Marie, Nicky & Kim, Tim & Danny

She's really pissed that we're asking her because she has BUSINESS to do.

laimis

« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »

Art and JJ say hi.
LEENNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
HURRY UP VICTORIA!!!!!

TWINNNIEE

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »

Art and JJ say hi.
LEENNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
HURRY UP VICTORIA!!!!!

TWINNNIEE

WHERE IS HER TIARA?
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »

Art and JJ say hi.
LEENNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
HURRY UP VICTORIA!!!!!

TWINNNIEE

WHERE IS HER TIARA?

I feel that everyone should get their time for 1st place.

Offline flair0310

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
Hey folks,

haven't posted in quite a while, but I felt rather strongly about this. I know Meghan and Joey had their share of supporters (including me) but I was quite surprised and rather dumbfounded by the many negative comments and (I almost want to say) hatred that they received. I actually expected not to like them, but immediately had to revise my opinion and was very fond of them by episode 3. Of course, I wasn't there personally, so don't know what might have happened off camera, but from what I saw on the race and also during their recaps (which I highly recommend) they came over as very pleasant and fun people. Just my two cents ...

Online ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
Hey folks,

haven't posted in quite a while, but I felt rather strongly about this. I know Meghan and Joey had their share of supporters (including me) but I was quite surprised and rather dumbfounded by the many negative comments and (I almost want to say) hatred that they received. I actually expected not to like them, but immediately had to revise my opinion and was very fond of them by episode 3. Of course, I wasn't there personally, so don't know what might have happened off camera, but from what I saw on the race and also during their recaps (which I highly recommend) they came over as very pleasant and fun people. Just my two cents ...

They seem like really nice people in real life, but on the show, I really didn't like their alliance and Joey's fake high-pitched voice.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
I really think most of the audience liked them, but obviously those who shout loudest get to think they are the main opinion on the internet, and some of it was obviously prejudiced.