Author Topic: Ep 9 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary *start: 800PM or later* note rules  (Read 34547 times)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
I just think the top three teams were so cleaver with their elimination plan. I wonder if we will see this again in the future.
I'm kind of surprised it took this long for teams to come up with this, I'm guessing it would have happened this way last season if Dave & Rachel had U-Turned Brenchel, then Art & JJ would have probably nullified the other one. Or maybe if Kent & Vyxsin had been convinced to U-Turn the Globetrotters instead of Jaime & Cara  :duno:

I guess this is the first time teams actually agree on a strategy.

Paraphrasing J.J. words, "someone is playing this game strategically".
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Also, I really like the character development on this Season. At first it felt like Abbie & Ryan were the antagonists for stealing Amy & Daniel's shot at the 2Mill, and that Trexie and the Twinnies would be the good guys. Suddenly, the Twinnies are the hardcore amoral team that will do anything to win; Trexie were the formerly lawful good turned lawful evil, even being glad for getting rid of Abbie & Ryan; James & Jaymes were first the "alpha male" team, turned into the super friendly team, turned into the selfish team; finally, Abbie & Ryan turned from alpha couple to the team with extremely bad luck.

Very dynamic characterization indeed.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
turned into the selfish team;

How are the Chippendales a selfish team?!!!  :groan:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
turned into the selfish team;

How are the Chippendales a selfish team?!!!  :groan:
"Oh, we like Abbie & Ryan, our friends, but we have to think about our own goal, we wouldn't use the U-Turn otherwise"

They didn't use the U-Turn in spite, nor to save another team, they did it to make competition easier for themselves.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
It's pretty clear (at least to me) that Jaymes and James struggled over whether to use the U-Turn at all.

There was one other team close behind them and who were also part of the pack....and Jamyes and James already knew that N-N had the fast forward and wouldn't be near the U-Turn board. I think the rationale they used, that Abbie-Ryan were a strong competitive team was the right logic, although they probably didn't know about the delay in Frankfurt for Abbie-Ryan and that it had put those two even with the Beekmans at the Amsterdam airport. From what they knew, they made what they thought was the most strategic sense.

And given that the Beekmans were still way behind the three lead teams getting to the pit stop, there's a good chance that the flights out of Amsterdam will still separate them from the three lead teams.
-- theschnauzers

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Wow, was that switchback underwhelming or what?  :(

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Pretty disappointing.  It's meant to be a race and yet a weak team survives because the the twins and Trey/Lexi basically put pressure on the Chippendales to u-turn Abbie/Ryan.  Abbie and Ryan left the detour first and get no reward whatsoever for it.  Them not being allowed on the earlier plane was rather convenient for the producers as well, though the colluding over the u-turn obviously meant there was no tension towards the end anyway.  The whole point of a double u-turn is to have two teams competing against each other, not for a team to make it a boring single u-turn with the predictable outcome.  The painting detour looked a lot more interesting though we didn't see much of it.  Locations were pretty good though.  The 2 million twist I always thought was boring anyway, so I never cared about that.  The twins were annoying again at times, and Lexi reverted to her loud yays at the detour.  Quite a disappointing final group of teams. 

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
Pretty disappointing.  It's meant to be a race and yet a weak team survives because the the twins and Trey/Lexi basically put pressure on the Chippendales to u-turn Abbie/Ryan.  Abbie and Ryan left the detour first and get no reward whatsoever for it.  Them not being allowed on the earlier plane was rather convenient for the producers as well, though the colluding over the u-turn obviously meant there was no tension towards the end anyway.  The whole point of a double u-turn is to have two teams competing against each other, not for a team to make it a boring single u-turn with the predictable outcome.  The painting detour looked a lot more interesting though we didn't see much of it.  Locations were pretty good though.  The 2 million twist I always thought was boring anyway, so I never cared about that.  The twins were annoying again at times, and Lexi reverted to her loud yays at the detour.  Quite a disappointing final group of teams.

As strange as it seems, I'm agreeing with you starrynight. I have to praise the Chippendales, Twinnies and Trexie for devising one of the best strategic moves in race history, even though I don't exactly like it  :lol:  I feel nothing but sorry for Abbie & Ryan, who I really liked throughout the whole race, especially Abbie. The editors made the come off as serious game players but they had a healthy competitive nature and seemed like they enjoyed the race along the way, even Ryan who editors didn't seem to like. I am hoping that the Divorcees will make an appearance on an All Stars season someday soon, they are one of very few dating teams I really really liked and I enjoyed the nature of their competitiveness.

I love Natalie & Nadiya, but I want to see either Trexie or the Chippendales win the race, but I would be over the moon if the Chips did! Their use of the U-Turn was completely part of the game so it's acceptable. Their courage and determination is great to watch and I hope they will survive the last few legs and cross the Finish Line first!

The flight drama in this leg was mind-boggling, and as much as I loved it, for ONCE I wished there was an equaliser so the race in Amsterdam was tighter. The Roadblock was SO underwhelming like oval said, I felt like I should've been laughing my ass off when Ryan fell in the ditch but I couldn't feel anything but sorry for him and Abbie. Such a disappointing way to leave the game.  I swear I could've started tearing when Abbie & Ryan finished the second Detour...

Everyone should remember though - don't hate the players, hate the game.

Offline zacz

• RFF Full Member
I agree with those who have said that was a really clever and unique way to use a double U-Turn to get rid of a strong team. I doubt there will be anymore double-Uturns in the coming season now that this strategy has emerged. They will have to come up with something else.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
I agree with those who have said that was a really clever and unique way to use a double U-Turn to get rid of a strong team. I doubt there will be anymore double-Uturns in the coming season now that this strategy has emerged. They will have to come up with something else.

Yeah, it was almost as good as paying to yield a team!  :lol:

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Single u-turns suck, the outcome is always predictable.  And the Chippendales looked very weak to me, they just looked like they caved in to the pressure of the others.  There's been too much collusion between teams in this season as well, it's supposed to be a race between teams.  I've no doubt if it was against a more popular team people here would be liking this far far less.

Offline BuuYaa

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR 22 <3; TAR 23 must be better
Wow the "U-Turn" in this leg is probably gonna be remembered for long...

Tweenies,Trexie,and Chips, as much as people hate or love'em, they pulled one hell of a move.

Tweenies came up with a master plan, Chips somehow became the executors  :o, and Trexie are like  :conf:"okay great time to wrap "things" up"

I am not a big fan of Abby and Ryan (go Chips  :hearts:), but that doesn't mean I liked seeing them going out like that.

In season 14 I rooted for Kris and Amanda like all the freaking time, over the moon! When they got U-Turned, I am so pissed off I almost stopped watching and started to call Luke the G*Y R*TA*D (well he certainly was back there). But that was just good TV Show and they happened to become the victims. So what can you do.
When They came back in Unfinished Business along with Gary&Mallory   :hearts: I was super excited. But it wasn't for long when they got U-Turned AGAIN  :tantrum, and eliminated. It was such a unpleasant thing to watch, when they fell into the same hole they did before.

So I must say, the Chips using the U-Turn made a good TV show, but I don't think it's that necessary for them. Trexie are like 1-2 hours behind'em, Abbie-Ryan and Josh-Brent are like what? 5-6 hours behind?

The chips could even just take a 4 Hour Penalty on that switchback Roadblock and still finished in front of Abby-Ryan and Josh-Brent. that would be stupid though  :lol3:. But that's like the way I am saying how much ahead of them actually.

Rumor has it that the final three teams are
Show content
Chips,Trexies,and Beekmans
. If
Show content
chips
actually didn't win (god I hope they did  :hoot:), they probably could look back at this time and made a better move if they were now in it to win , which is U-Turning
Show content
Trexies
who was only an hour more behind, or even
Show content
Beekmans

Just like Margie and Luke not U-Turning Tammy and Victor when they actually had the chance, I don't know why they were such idiots U-Turning a team that was far behind while Tammy&Victor were right on their tails, and the fact that two legs of that Season happened to be in China, LOL. Well They deserved that 3rd place second loser and 8th place in unfinished business. That was bad karma for making Kris&Amanda 8th. (This is just me hating you can ignore it  )-**)

Please Bring'em back:
=======================================
MM: Jaymes&James; Mark&Bopper
FF: Caroline&Jennifer; Pam&Winnie; Natalie&Nadiya;
MF: Joey&Meghan;
Couple : Max&Katie; Abby&Ryan; Brendon&Rachel; Amani&Marcus;
Elder Couple : Chuck&Wynona; Bill&Cathi;
======================================

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
But how did it make good TV?  There was no suspense at the end at all.

Offline BuuYaa

• RFF Full Member
It did make a good TV. The existence of U-Turn is actually one of the things that makes TAR an interesting game. Everyone's waiting for it. Don't get me wrong but I bet a bunch of you viewers get excited when a leg features a U-Turn.

Instead of just racing with a bunch of Roadblocks and Detours like it used to be, It gets old. Then they put a yield on the field, but people getting tired of it. Then they replaced it with  a U-Turn, which exists up until this season, with some modifications like blind U-Turn or Double U-Turn, Blind Double U-Turn.
Please Bring'em back:

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
A single u-turn in the US show always means that team gets eliminated doesn't it?  So no I don't look forward to them, I like a more even competition.  And to put in a double u-turn just to turn it into a single one is even more useless.

Offline FishyFred

• RFF Not So Newbie
I am hopeful for a rule change that prevents later teams from U-turning teams they already know are past it.  The double was added when the single one just meant an automatic elimination for whoever got it.  They removed all drama from the episode as soon as the Chips did it.

To be honest, this episode made me want to be done with this show.  One of the things I always liked about TAR was that everybody played their own game.  It didn't have that ridiculous strategizing that other shows had to sabotage competitors.  Now each season they are adding more and more of that kind of thing.  I'd much rather see each team run their own race and let the good (and lucky) teams win. 

To me, it seemed production was rooting against A&R.  From Phil's angry-sounding statement to the Beekmans "Would you rather I eliminate you" (sounded like he was personally mad that someone could like A&R) to playing the happy-sounding organ-grinder music immediately after their tearful fair well.  Sounded like they were celebrating not having to hand over a $2M check.  I even wonder if the U-turn strategy didn't come from production. 

But anyway, as far as editing goes, my bet goes to Chippendales winning it all.  They pumped up the family drama element, passed on a chance to edit them as villains for using the U-turn and instead cast them as sympathetic reluctant "game" players.  Everybody else save the Beekmans were made out as villains. 

Also, more possible production interference: Don't travelling teams normally take up 4 seats on a plane?  2 for the races, and one each for the cameraman and sound guy (with the racers asking to book 2 just for the cameras)?  So how was 1 team allowed on flight with just 3 seats?

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
Also, I really like the character development on this Season. At first it felt like Abbie & Ryan were the antagonists for stealing Amy & Daniel's shot at the 2Mill, and that Trexie and the Twinnies would be the good guys. Suddenly, the Twinnies are the hardcore amoral team that will do anything to win; Trexie were the formerly lawful good turned lawful evil, even being glad for getting rid of Abbie & Ryan; James & Jaymes were first the "alpha male" team, turned into the super friendly team, turned into the selfish team; finally, Abbie & Ryan turned from alpha couple to the team with extremely bad luck.

Very dynamic characterization indeed.
Interesting observation.  :tup: True, it's not been stale and teams have done some surprising things.
Some of which I still think shouldn't be seen on the race.. (i.e. taking another team's money..) But the double u-turn was bound to be a game-changer whichever way it went. To me it's clear the plan came from the twins, and group pressure clearly got to the chippies. I don't blame them for doing it, the end result was to get a stronger team out which is justifiable I think.

I did really enjoy the episode but even the weather seemed to comply with the 'calm before the storm' theme/forebode that was over Abby and Ryan's head.. I just felt very sorry for them as the episode progressed. Obviously nobody could have forseen their airport problems and I wonder how Jaymes felt when he saw this on tv. Can't have been a good feeling I think.
But in the end this is a race, and as long as they did it for the right reasons (i.e not out of spite or personal vendetta) to me, it's just part of the game. Abby and Ryan just got very unlucky and the twins hatched a smart plan and were left out of the picture although they were the ones who put all the pawns in place.. I do agree that the Chippies let themselves be manipulated but they knew why they were doing it in the end.

As for it being boring - I think the fact that the Beekmans just more or less seem to have forgotten this IS a race and were just doing it together with Abby and Ryan (and vice versa) was more boring in that sense.  :duno: It was nice I'm sure and very friendly but not exactly in the spirit of the race. Sure last time around they had the 4 hour penalty anyway so Abby and Ryan were safe regardless, but this time they should have shown a bit more spunk to stay in the race I think, even if they have become friends. For that reason I'm sorry they weren't the ones who got eliminated.. Basically they're just still in it because two other teams who seemed more competent racers (the rockers and Abby & Ryan) got eliminated because of bad luck and/or strategy of the other teams. They obviously don't feel like they should be in the race anymore either, judging by how they've been talking about it. :( I like them, don't get me wrong, I just think other teams deserved to be here more than they do at this point.

Maybe there'll be an Allstar second chance for Abby and Ryan yet. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:19:32 AM by Topita »
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline BuuYaa

• RFF Full Member
yeah actually I get your point.
Not a lot of teams actually could recover once they got U-Turned. The first team to actually survived after being U-Turned is Brook&Claire from season 17, but the U-Turn appeared at that time was a double U-Turn,both are used and both teams actually had to perform both detours instead of just one, so one of those two teams get U-Turned would absolutely survive no matter what, and It happened to be Brook and Claire.

So I think the main reason the U-Turn appearing now doubled because it raised more outcomes,

If it's just single U-Turn, the outcome is always obvious, the team got U-turned will probably be eliminated. so like you said, having two teams performing both detours and just battle it out, possibly trying to avoid last place is one of the outcome that People would love to watch.

On the other hands, if a team feels like they're in front of the pack, and find a single U-Turn, that team would probably avoid using it. But if it's double, that team may have second thought, and decide to U-Turn one team that is right on their tail, basically aiming for first place. The team that gets U-Turned then actually don't have to worry about being eliminated, because there is still one spot for U-Turning another team.
But then that team has to guess correctly what team they need to U-Turn. What if the team they choose is ahead and they got stuck doing both detours alone. More outcomes.

this is what makes The Sri Lanka girl's plan to seal Abby&Ryan's fate so risky. Abby and Ryan were actually scheduled to arrive in Amsterdam ahead of Trey&Lexi. Had things gone right for Abby&Ryan, they would arrive at the U-Turn 3rd and mostly U-Turning The Sri Lanka girls (which would cost no effect), or probably Trey&Lexi if they somehow managed to think that way. If Trey and Lexi got to the U-Turn before Abby&Ryan and decided to leave alone the 2nd u-turn, Abby& Ryan could just U-Turn Josh-Brent since they already know those two were so far behind.
So the fact that Tweenies,Trexies,and Chips maanaged to pull that off perfectly is what makes this worth-watching.
Please Bring'em back:

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
To me, it seemed production was rooting against A&R.  From Phil's angry-sounding statement to the Beekmans "Would you rather I eliminate you" (sounded like he was personally mad that someone could like A&R) to playing the happy-sounding organ-grinder music immediately after their tearful fair well.  Sounded like they were celebrating not having to hand over a $2M check.  I even wonder if the U-turn strategy didn't come from production. 

It's possible production preferred to see A&R go ito the $2M but I doubt they would go so far as to sabotage game elements or put teams up to this. There have been rumours about the twins and Texans taking the rocker's money being incited to do so from production though, and if that is the case, this is more than a little disappointing. :(

As for Phil's words to the Beekmans, personally I always felt that he has a soft spot for people who are passionate about the race and eager to win. Not eager at all costs but definitely eager. Makes for better tv too obviously.  :lol:
So maybe this stemmed more from them all clinging together for two legs now and basically not seeming too eager or happy to still be in it. I think that's why he said it, not so much to do with A&R or whether they liked them or not. :)
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline FishyFred

• RFF Not So Newbie
Thinking some more, I bet we would have seen this strategy last season.  I long wondered why the team boarder patrol was so pissed at D&R for not using the U-turn when they were able to do it when they got there.  I bet production edited out that part to keep it a surprise for later seasons. 

Maybe the U-turn would work better if their was some kind of penalty for using it, like if the team you targeted survived, you got a 30-min penalty on the next leg.  Then people would not be so quick to use it on teams that already went by (or use it at all). 

Personally, I'd rather see the U-turn gone and the intersection return.  I don't care what some say, detours and roadblocks are all I need. 

It's possible production preferred to see A&R go ito the $2M but I doubt they would go so far as to sabotage game elements or put teams up to this. There have been rumours about the twins and Texans taking the rocker's money being incited to do so from production though, and if that is the case, this is more than a little disappointing. :(

As for Phil's words to the Beekmans, personally I always felt that he has a soft spot for people who are passionate about the race and eager to win. Not eager at all costs but definitely eager. Makes for better tv too obviously.  :lol:
So maybe this stemmed more from them all clinging together for two legs now and basically not seeming too eager or happy to still be in it. I think that's why he said it, not so much to do with A&R or whether they liked them or not. :)

Oh, I'm sure production could walk a fine line.  They wouldn't tell them what to do, but perhaps "clarify" the rules for them. Like telling them they can't interfere with someones belongings, but could claim something they lost.  Or that there is noting illegal about U-turning a team you know is already past.  Not telling them what to do, but giving them possible ideas. 

If Phil was just trying to get them competitive, he could have done it better.  Something like "But be happy, you are in the top 4!"  If he was really interested in competitive teams, he would have been sadder A&R were gone.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
this is what makes The Sri Lanka girl's plan to seal Abby&Ryan's fate so risky.

Why risky? They were in no danger of getting eliminated at all.

But the farmers aren't that passionate about it, Abbie and Ryan were far more into the race as well as just being better at it.  And Phil trying to make out that the Chippendales were playing the game when actually they just felt coerced into doing it was disingenuous as well.

Interesting observation.  :tup: True, it's not been stale and teams have done some surprising things.
Some of which I still think shouldn't be seen on the race.. (i.e. taking another team's money..)
I do agree that the Chippies let themselves be manipulated but they knew why they were doing it in the end.

As for it being boring - I think the fact that the Beekmans just more or less seem to have forgotten this IS a race and were just doing it together with Abby and Ryan (and vice versa) was more boring in that sense.  :duno: It was nice I'm sure and very friendly but not exactly in the spirit of the race.

Quite a few teams have been bland this season for me.  The Chippendales seem a bit weakminded, the farmers just there and Trey is just there as well.  I can't really tell the twins apart, they even speak together often.

Too many eliminations this season have been through 3rd party transportation or now collusion between other teams.  I'd prefer if it was more about tasks or self-navigation.

As for collusion don't think it has just been between the farmers and Abbie/Ryan (weird though that was, and Abbie/Ryan didn't initiate that).  Don't forget the Chippendales trying to hail a taxi for another team (Trey and Lexi I think) at the end of another leg.  Riding on another teams coat-tails is pretty annoying but this race has been full of it, but it should be a race between them.

Offline FishyFred

• RFF Not So Newbie
this is what makes The Sri Lanka girl's plan to seal Abby&Ryan's fate so risky. Abby and Ryan were actually scheduled to arrive in Amsterdam ahead of Trey&Lexi. Had things gone right for Abby&Ryan, they would arrive at the U-Turn 3rd and mostly U-Turning The Sri Lanka girls (which would cost no effect), or probably Trey&Lexi if they somehow managed to think that way. If Trey and Lexi got to the U-Turn before Abby&Ryan and decided to leave alone the 2nd u-turn, Abby& Ryan could just U-Turn Josh-Brent since they already know those two were so far behind.
So the fact that Tweenies,Trexies,and Chips maanaged to pull that off perfectly is what makes this worth-watching.

You forget A&R booked their flights online.  It seems likely to me the other teams had no idea where they were flightwise.  Heck, had Trey/Lexi known about the faster Frankfurt flight, I would think they would have gone for it.  Knowing earlier flights were booked and not having them on their own flight, they probably felt very comfortable A&R were far behind.

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
But the farmers aren't that passionate about it, Abbie and Ryan were far more into the race as well as just being better at it.  And Phil trying to make out that the Chippendales were playing the game when actually they just felt coerced into doing it was disingenuous as well.
That's what I meant, the Beekmans didn't show that enthousiasm, which is why I think Phil said this.
But I agree that the 'you're finally playing the game' comment was a bit odd considering how it all went down.
Maybe they wanted Jaymes to stop being mr Nice and be more ruthless, idk.  :duno:

As for collusion don't think it has just been between the farmers and Abbie/Ryan (weird though that was, and Abbie/Ryan didn't initiate that).  Don't forget the Chippendales trying to hail a taxi for another team (Trey and Lexi I think) at the end of another leg.  Riding on another teams coat-tails is pretty annoying but this race has been full of it, but it should be a race between them.
Oh I wasn't claiming the others weren't guilty of that..  :lol:
I totally agree there's been a bit too much of the buddy-buddy thing going on. It's getting to the end now so they're going to have to change that anyway. But I do agree with you that it's more fun to see teams running more or less individually, or with just brief effective alliances rather than always helping each other out and collude like they have been for a good part of the race now.

Offline BuuYaa

• RFF Full Member
not risky about themselves (Tweennies) DUH!
but that Abby&Ryan might overcome the  U-Turn and survive.

don't you actually see that Josh and Brent were actually more than 12 hours, 12 FREAKING HOURS..behind the Chipendales and Trexie, 10 hours behind Tweenies, and almost 4 hours behind Abby&Ryan. None of them were even on the same flight for god's sake.

Abby&Ryan were scheduled to arrive at 12.25 pm in Amsterdam had the things gone right, while Trexie on 1.05 pm. Assuming they performed fastly in detour and got to the U-Turn before Trexie, the second slot of the U-Turn would still be empty. Abby&Ryan would probably use it on Tweenies thinking they're still behind, or maybe if they happened to catch Trexie along the way, use it on them.
But all of this would probably cause no effect to their position, since Josh&Brent flight due to arrive at 4 something pm, and they would probably end up getting eliminated since they were so far behind.

Then Abby&Ryan would still be in the race, which was not good news for Tweenies and Trexie, and now Chips since they basically got all the blood on their hands.
Please Bring'em back:

Offline BuuYaa

• RFF Full Member
at the end of the day, I don't think The Chippendales U-Turning Abby&Ryan is a mistake at all. Sure they were like  hours behind, but that didn't mean they can't catch up.
Before flying to Amsterdam, the Chippendales had a [b]freaking 10 hours lead[/b] ahead of Abby&Ryan. After they arrived at Amsterdam, it became a 3 or 4 hours lead which was a great loss for the Chippendales and a great catching up for Abby&Ryan in the future legs,especially if it later involves another plane travel.
Before they started to lose more their lead again, might as well use it to their advantage and boot out a very strong team. I mean if you're racing for a million dollars, which of these two would you rather race with? Abby&Ryan or Josh&Brent? if it was me, In a million years, there's no way I would say Abby&Ryan
Please Bring'em back: