Author Topic: The Amazing Race Canada 1--Pre-Race Speculation  (Read 69465 times)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race Canada
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »
Outrage at Not So Amazing Race Canada?
So we finally get an Amazing Race Canada, but it looks like its going to be lame version of the American race - with teams not leaving Canada.
Why would CTV do this? Take a well established successful show formula and turn it into a documentary style travelogue?

Its all about the money…
…and the huge success that TAR US has been in Canada.
Every fall and spring television season, CTV sends a  bucketful of money to Disney-ABC Domestic Television in return for the rights to broadcast TAR US.
I don't know how much money it is, but this has been a relationship that has been profitable for the last 10 years, with TAR US being one of the most popular shows in Canada.
Because TAR US is so successful in Canada, CTV can charge advertisers a lot of money to include their commercials during the broadcast.
Disney-ABC is very hesitant to jeopardize this profitable relationship - so they include a non-compete clause with the distribution rights. CTV is not allowed to air a competitive show that might draw viewers and advertising revenue from TAR US.
Now it seems that Disney-ABC has relented somewhat in return for the franchise fees that TAR Canada will pay. But they still are not allowing TAR Canada to be in any way competitive with TAR US.
You need only read between the lines of the CTV announcement:
"the network has ordered THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, a Canadian-produced, complementary version of the hit international series".
Complimentary is the key word here - not competitive.
And:
"CTV has licensed the Canadian format rights from Disney-ABC Domestic Television and has selected Insight Productions to produce the series in Canada, with the support of Profiles Television."
  Note that it says Canadian format rights - not series format rights. Its a different format that has been licensed in Canada, not the original format.

Is CTV being "cheap" by running a Canada only race?
Due to non-competition, CTV is forced to broadcast TAR Canada in the summer television season, when there are fewer viewers and hence fewer advertising dollars available to CTV. This means the revenue that TAR Canada produces for CTV will be much smaller than what TAR US produces for them. Which means a much smaller budget for the show. And there is no way the show can be produced at a loss - BellMedia would never allow it.
Depending on how the ratings go for season one, I wouldn't be surprised if the next edition of the show has a larger budget. But I still don't think we'll see a full TAR for Canada.

The Big Brother US effect
A wildcard in this is that Big Brother US will be broadcast during the same summer time period on GlobalTV. How much time are Canadians willing to commit to reality TV during the summer?
Will TAR Canada be allowed to compete for viewers vs Big Brother US? Its a CBS show that is broadcast on Global TV in the summer.
Interesting to note that Big Brother Canada is being produced by Insight Productions as well, so in theory they could have two shows being broadcast at the same time and competing against each other.

How did the Australians manage to get a "full" international race?
TAR AUS is broadcast in the Australian winter - the prime viewing time for television. Predicted advertising revenues for TAR AUS were great enough to budget for a full scale race. And there is no way an Australian version would compete with the US version so they weren't saddled with the same restrictions.

Will we ever see a full international version of TAR Canada?
I don't think Canada will see a full international version until TAR US "jumps the shark". (Like a celebrity version) Once there is a cancellation of at least one season of TAR US, TAR Canada can be broadcast during a high ratings period in Canada, which should allow a larger budget and a "real" race.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:29:45 AM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »
Big Brother Canada will be broadcast in the winter-spring actually
Thanks - I was getting the versions confused - edited my post.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
To be accurate, China and the U.S. Family Edition weren't the only basically one-country formats in the past; before TAR Latin America, the Brazilians also had a local all within Brazil edition.
-- theschnauzers

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
To be accurate, China and the U.S. Family Edition weren't the only basically one-country formats in the past; before TAR Latin America, the Brazilians also had a local all within Brazil edition.
The U.S. Family Edition did travel outside of the U.S. - to Panama, Costa Rica and Canada.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
The U.S. Family Edition did travel outside of the U.S. - to Panama, Costa Rica and Canada.
And for that matter, the Brazilian version had legs in Chile also.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »
by the way, Canada can fly to anywhere in the world like The Amazing Race US?

Unfortunately not :(

See, even on the logo banner above, you can only see Canada map instead of the usual world map as the background  :tantrum
It's for the 1st season only, I think and these are also the same thing as on TAR Philippines and Vietnam as well.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »

See, even on the logo banner above, you can only see Canada map instead of the usual world map as the background  :tantrum

NOOOOOO.... :groan: I even have a cool route for the first season.... Well, that goes on the wishlist thread. :cmas51 :xmas110 :cmas51
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »

NOOOOOO.... :groan: I even have a cool route for the first season.... Well, that goes on the wishlist thread. :cmas51 :xmas110 :cmas51

List it ! Even though it will remain a wish

Okay, it was a Carribean to Europe to Asia to North America route as well.
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
Countries which stayed within their borders all have population more then double Canada's so this is going to be not as exciting. ONly thing I can see interesting is people that don't speak french going into rural Quebec
But the population doesn't make a difference. Having the area it does is what will make this show interesting. If the Philippines and Vietnam can do diverse legs and show off several different sights, I'm sure a country that covers as much land as Canada can.

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
Oh, WOW!

I think The Amazing Race Canada will try out to fly like The Amazing Race US did? Maybe, I hope so!
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 05:59:58 AM »
King says they want "The Amazing Race Canada" to be "a little bit like a love letter to Canada" but wouldn't rule out expanding the format if the show is a smash.
"We're not married to this forever, at all. Let's see how this plays out. We definitely can see having Canadians go around the world or go to a different country or something," he says.
"But for Year 1 we really wanted to focus on 'Amazing Race Canada' -- not just featuring Canadians but featuring Canada."

And now I can be excited about The Amazing Race Canada! :xmas146

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2012, 07:05:23 AM »
King says they want "The Amazing Race Canada" to be "a little bit like a love letter to Canada" but wouldn't rule out expanding the format if the show is a smash.
"We're not married to this forever, at all. Let's see how this plays out. We definitely can see having Canadians go around the world or go to a different country or something," he says.
"But for Year 1 we really wanted to focus on 'Amazing Race Canada' -- not just featuring Canadians but featuring Canada."

So it's another The Amazing Race Asia, but Canadian. :lol: But for both, there's still A CHANCE they will fly out of Canada like United States, Iceland, Greenland, maybe even further out. :cmas16

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »

So it's another The Amazing Race Asia, but Canadian. :lol: But for both, there's still A CHANCE they will fly out of Canada like United States, Iceland, Greenland, maybe even further out. :cmas16
Don't forget France (Saint Pierre and Miquelon).

Summer is a good time - not a lot of good TV, so it will be a welcome addition to a boring season (TV-wise, that is).

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »

Don't forget France (Saint Pierre and Miquelon).

Summer is a good time - not a lot of good TV, so it will be a welcome addition to a boring season (TV-wise, that is).

Let's try to keep Canada's first step in the TAR waters a little bit more positive on their daring "China Rush"-esque attempt. :xmas146 It looks like it will be better than the Brazilian version... *runs into sign*. :lol:

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »
only 10 legs?  I smell of a cheap grand prize of 50,000 euro just like on TAR France. :cmas4

p.s.
convert that value to a Canadian $.

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2012, 03:02:41 AM »

Just to warm up the discussion....

let's talk about :

'The Amazing Race Canada' Host: Who Should Helm The Reality Show?

OK, OK, we know that due to contractual obligations, most of these people couldn't realistically become the host of "The Amazing Race Canada." In fact, we're willing to bet that it'll be Ben Mulroney who gets the gig. But hey, it's fun to imagine, isn't it?

We've amassed a list of 23 Canadians who we think would do a good job as host, for one reason or another. All we can hope is that he/she matches the greatness that is the US' Phil Keoghan.

Did we miss anyone? Let us know below. You can also vote for your favourite contender in the slideshow.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/05/the-amazing-race-canada-host_n_2246115.html?utm_hp_ref=canada-tv#slide=1844181

Male Contenders :  (click to enlarge)

Ben Mulroney          Jonathan Torrens

Mike 'Pinball' Clemons          Rick Mercer

George Stroumboulopoulos            Howie Mandel

Colin Mochrie                         Jon Montgomery

Rick Campanelli            Frankie Flowers

Shaun Majumder         Michael Kuss

Ross Rebagliati          Trevor Linden

Daryn Jones

Female Contenders :

Leah Miller                Liza Fromer

Trish Stratus                                Nam Kiwanuka

Pay Chen                                   Ashleigh McIvor

TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
Oh my gosh Colin Mochrie hosting The Amazing Race would be the greatest thing ever, and now that his name has been brought up I will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't.

Offline thepuffytaco

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • YOU ARE NEXT!
    • PakuPakuMedia
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
2) Torrens - Would be an excellent host. He was on Joe Schmo 2 and a regular on Trailer Park Boys
7) Mochrie - Great choice
3) Stratus - Great choice charismatic and isn't high maintenance.
4) Kiwanuka - Was great on much music

The rest are either the usual boring suspects or would nagatively impact the show because of their swarmy annoying attitude/persona (Campanelli and Mulroney)

Best choice for this AND Big Brother Canada should be Jason Agnew.
He hosts:
* Door to Door (for the travel network) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfmRqgDx534
* Splatalot (YTV/NickTV in the States) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ELU01HQv4
* Conventioneers (BiteTV/YouTube) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSpZtHByCw&feature=share&list=PL5E42ED128138285F NSFW
* Sunday Morning Trivia (CFRB1010 radio) - http://www.newstalk1010.com/Hosts/SundayMorning.aspx
* Live Audio Wrestling (TSN1050 et affliates) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y2YD2O_zag

PLUS he goes to karaoke! He is funny, gets around (travelled all over Canada/US for Door to Door and Conventioneers), has edge and is willing to get into the spirit of things.

The fact that I plan to see him shave my friend tonight has NOTHING to do with me pimping him so hard.
NONE.
“Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends” ― Francis Bacon

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
Let's welcome The Amazing Race Canada Rush (another CR aside from China Rush) :cmaslol
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »
I think they should race from east to west. chase the sun. Colin or Howie.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »
Howie is good at one-day game shows like Deal or No Deal and that upcoming Take It All mini-game show on NBC. I'm not sure about him handling long-term competitions. "Got Talent" wasn't very fun after Mandel replaced "The Hoff". :cmas12

I have a feeling Daryn Jones will be hosting. Haven't heard of him from B or athlete-classed celebrity level and Phil back in TAR1 and Grant Bowler wasn't very chatted around back when the shows premiered.

Offline toronto14

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »
I'm so excited for this, I'm applying!

Offline toronto14

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
Phil Keoghan tweeted last week regarding TAR Canada, saying more details will be up soon but to prepare a 3 minut video and 540 words and to "get your application ready".

He also said "A2Qs abt vid 4 @AmazingRaceCDA the best audition tapes have nothing in common with each other watz ur story in 500 words, are u interesting?"

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »

This might be our first hint to one of the locations...!! :hoot:

Posted 3 hours ago
by: Athabasca Recreational Trails Association

Amazing Race coming to Alberta. Received an email to submit ideas for "hidden gem" locations for the a segment of the Canadain version of the Amazing Race this coming summer. So we will submit the Peace River Trail as a potential candidate. It's got history and cultural significance. It will also provide a unique experience.

TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »
Who hosting of TAR Canada?
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!