Author Topic: Ep 5 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary *start: 800PM or later* note rules  (Read 17035 times)

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Chips have delivered their bamboo, but it doesn't get approved because they're missing some. They've been told to go back. James apologies to Jaymes for putting some bamboo on the ground. They're both really sweaty. :stare Commercial.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
And we're back. James and Jaymes are basically lying in the sand. They're all sweaty. They have to take their entire bamboo bicycle back. Their bamboo falls out. Josh & Brent won't quit.

Trey & Lexi finish in 5th. Rob & Kelley arrive at the pit stop in 4th.

Pit stop:
1st - James & Abba
2nd - Abbie & Ryan
3rd - Natalie & Nadiya
4th - Rob & Kelley

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Chips get their 3 bamboo sticks and start going back.

Trey & Lexi arrive at the pit stop in 5th.

Josh & Brent start transporting their bamboo.

Jaymes & James finish the detour in 6th.

Pit stop:
1st - James & Abba
2nd - Abbie & Ryan
3rd - Natalie & Nadiya
4th - Rob & Kelley
5th - Trey & Lexi

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Jaymes & James arrive at the pit stop. Jaymes kind of falls right at the gate. :lol: They're team #6.

Pit stop:
1st - James & Abba
2nd - Abbie & Ryan
3rd - Natalie & Nadiya
4th - Rob & Kelley
5th - Trey & Lexi
6th - Jaymes & James

Josh & Brent knew they were in last and they didn't quit. They have a crowd of Bangladeshi kids following them saying Beekman Boys. :hrt:

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Josh & Brent are the last team to arrive... IT'S A NON-ELIMINATION LEG! :hearts: Josh says a bunch of really sweet stuff to Brent. :luvya: They will encounter a speedbump on the next leg. Josh says they will make a fabulous comeback in the next leg. The pit stop greeter says goodbye.

Pit stop:
1st - James & Abba
2nd - Abbie & Ryan
3rd - Natalie & Nadiya
4th - Rob & Kelley
5th - Trey & Lexi
6th - Jaymes & James
7th - Josh & Brent (NEL)

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
Awesome job, Polaroid! Thank you so much for updating :ghug:

Phil posted the picture of the Pit Stop. It is really beautiful! :colors
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Next week on The Amazing Race...

The competition moves to Istanbul, Turkey.

Teams go for a hard sell. Brent and Lexi are selling stuff while wearing a really red outfit. :lol: Teams are washing each other. It looks like the TAR Australia 2 task.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
First, while Abba and James didn't have to quit the Race, I don't think we've ever had a contact to the outside for an emergency call like that on TAR before. So that is a first.

And this was one of the most physically grueling legs they've ever had. Brutal. I'm glad TPTB realized that and that this was a NEL. 110 degrees and excessively humid, and with two tasks involving a lot of lifting and carrying; like I said, brutal!
-- theschnauzers

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Thanks for updating Polaroid. Good job!  :tup:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
I was waiting for this season to deliver a great episode! Hooray!

Since there was no form of equalisers this leg, I was expecting very limited position shuffling. However I was proved wrong, which is a good thing! :lol:

The RB was good enough to allow some teams to excel and other teams to fall behind. All tasks in TAR history that involve 'balance' have always been good, so this was no difference.

Very photogenic Detour! Both good tasks. I'm surprised only one team went for the jute option, but it did feel like it had more tasks involved it in that the bamboo. It was a good Detour balance because the jute was a good option for teams that weren't as strong. The bamboo looked tough and it looked pretty chaotic!

Nice Pit Stop location as well! Gotta give credit where credit is due. This episode also didn't feel as rushed as the last 4, maybe because there are less teams, and it was edited well.

It was a very difficult leg, combined with the physical tasks and the heat and humidity. So in some ways I am glad that it was a non-elimination, but it also would've been an interesting episode with more teams and a Double U-Turn. Either way it was a really good episode.

Other thoughts:
- We finally go to see some personality and a storyline from the Beekman Boys
- So there are flaws in Abbie & Ryan's relationship, which were very reminiscent to Davechel in TAR20 :(
- I continue to love Natalie & Nadiya, they had some great moments from cheering with the kid at the RB and almost killing the locals at the Detour
- Speaking of the Divorcees and the Twinnies, there seems to be a lot of tension between them, kind of like they're frenemies. It's like they're in a competition of their own :lol: But I really hope it doesn't go overboard like Brenchel VS Varalphasaurus
- Am I deaf or has Trey not said anything in any confessionals? He murmurs when they're racing but other than that...
- The Chips, Rockers, Trexie and Twinnies continue to be my favourite teams <3

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
It would have been a great leg, if there had not been a Fast Forward the previous leg.. leading to James and Abba's victory again as they had a 2 hrs and 2 mins lead from the pit-start. It's just unfair, which goes back to the same situation back in TAR 17 where Nat and Kat took the Fast Forward on the previous leg and won the next leg as well as there was no form of bunching or whatsoever. While NO BUNCHING is good at times and get rid of all the straggling teams... but this is obviously a NEL and it serves NO purpose... it would have been more exciting if it had not been a one-sided J/A will win this leg... BUT I'm going to give J/A credits for running an almost flawless leg... if they had made a Chippendales mistake, they might have lost the leg though.

With that as the only complaint.. GREAT ROADBLOCK, GREAT DETOUR... what a brutal leg and delivering Bangladesh in her very best. Heat, people, exhaustion, children, followers... etc, what a beautiful place it is!

I would have done the Detour Abbie and Ryan did. I have no idea, but WHY do all the teams assume that more brutal detour that requires more strength will always be faster??? :duno: It's in Bangladesh... SAVE AS MUCH ENERGY AS POSSIBLE! I really really think this will pay off for Abbie and Ryan in the next leg because they saved so much energy this leg!!

And major  :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: to Ryan wanting to beat Dave and Rachel 9 legs in. That's worst than twinsies wanting to come in first. :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :res:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:30:21 AM by Joab »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
There have been multiple references to the heat in Dhaka, which is at 24 degrees north latitude. During the first leg in the Dhaka area on June 2 the high temperature was 105 degrees. I can not find comparable temperature data for June 4.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
I just watched the episode, that I have to admit that it is a really good leg. This season is getting better and better (which is good), and I hope it's getting better until the Final. :hearts:

Anyway, the Roadblock was great, very unique, combination between mental and physical, which always makes a good task. The Detour was also great too. Bamboo task provided much drama, but I think the jute task wasn't bad either. It's pretty balanced in my opinion.

I don't mind with James & Abba winning their second leg consecutively, since they ran a good race at this leg, so they deserve it. They are really a great team. I also don't expect that the position can be switched up and down during the entire leg since it's really linear leg. :o

I love when Natalie asked local children to shout, "Twinnie!" It's just hilarious. :lol:

TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Joab,

You are quite right about the irrationality of Ryan wanting for his team to surpass David and Rachel from AR20. With only 2 wins in hand and 7 legs to go, Ryan can at best tie David/Rachel is Ryan and Abbie win EVERY remaining leg. Not gonna happen even though I do like this team!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Joab,

You are quite right about the irrationality of Ryan wanting for his team to surpass David and Rachel from AR20. With only 2 wins in hand and 7 legs to go, Ryan can at best tie David/Rachel is Ryan and Abbie win EVERY remaining leg. Not gonna happen even though I do like this team!

Which is why I don't get why he's pushing Abbie so hard... while everyone else is encouraging... Ryan goes, "I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS X984509345864930684"... :res:

Let's just say, if he can even complete a HAT TRICK and win 3 legs in a row, that's a feat... WHICH I DOUBT Abbie and Ryan are capable. Jaymes and James are not performing to their full potential yet... wait till they are, Abbie and Ryan will have no chance! Plus Trey and Lexi were in the back pack, otherwise they would have given Abbie and Ryan a good run for their money too...

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
I'm sorry I have to mention this, but I hope no one is going to comment on how The Amazing Race are making the racers strip so as to drive ratings. (Based on next leg's preview) (Last time I heard this theory in TAR 19, body-building task)..

It doesn't work that way. -_-

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
It would have been a great leg, if there had not been a Fast Forward the previous leg.. leading to James and Abba's victory again as they had a 2 hrs and 2 mins lead from the pit-start.

Should've put the NEL on Leg 4 and moved the FF to this leg (probably could've kept the same task as both legs were centered in or nearby Dhaka).

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
 The best bit by far was the bamboo task, mainly because it was challenging physically and funny and dramatic watching teams struggling.

Otherwise there's a lot of phyical tasks but not really interesting mental tasks and the locations aren't that inspiring still (still just workplaces, which on their own can get repetitive). I wish the detour had two very different kinds of tasks with pros and cons given. Also for a non-elimination leg this didn't involve very much travelling, the leading team went through it with ease.

The editing was ok, but did we see Trey and Lexi finish that roadblock? I guess the long haired rockers go a bit further than I thought as they have been given a backstory now.

I'm sorry I have to mention this, but I hope no one is going to comment on how The Amazing Race are making the racers strip so as to drive ratings.

Some of the cast seem to have been put on purely for their looks.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
I'm sorry, but I'm already over the period where Amazing Race put Mactors/semi-famous people on the show to draw more viewers. They need the Amazing Race just like TAR needs them to boost popularity, more viewership or even sponsorship for the show.

And TAR has even things out by casting plain Jane teams like superfans Gary and Will and monster truckers Rob and Kelley this season... by saying some teams are there based on looks is as good as saying some teams are there because they are so common and normal (David and Mary... Linda and Steve, Anita and Authur... so many examples -_-)

And yes, if I may remind you we did see Trey and Lexi finish the Roadblock, in 5th place, with Lexi cheering in whoops of joy.

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
Yes Joab, Trexie ftw <333

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Well either it was missing from my download or I somehow missed it despite checking twice.

Anyway I know less attractive people are put on too, though I find even these pretty unlikeable this season.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:34:57 PM by starrynight »

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
I'm sorry, but I'm already over the period where Amazing Race put Mactors/semi-famous people on the show to draw more viewers. They need the Amazing Race just like TAR needs them to boost popularity, more viewership or even sponsorship for the show.

And TAR has even things out by casting plain Jane teams like superfans Gary and Will and monster truckers Rob and Kelley this season... by saying some teams are there based on looks is as good as saying some teams are there because they are so common and normal (David and Mary... Linda and Steve, Anita and Authur... so many examples -_-)

And yes, if I may remind you we did see Trey and Lexi finish the Roadblock, in 5th place, with Lexi cheering in whoops of joy.

Well either it was missing from my download or I somehow missed it despite checking twice.

Anyway I know less attractive people are put on too, though I find even these pretty unlikeable this season.

This is the whole sequence of Trey & Lexi finishing the RB:

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
This is my favorite episode so far this season. Editing was perfect :).

Sone people are wondering why they put the NEL on the second Bangledesh leg. My guess is that they have a great speedbump in Turkey :hearts:.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
I like Lexi, she did well peddling that bicycle with all that stuff on, Trey I find more boring though.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Last leg, James got his knee in sewage, so Abba is doing the roadblock. Abba thinks his scale is built correctly, but it didn't get approved. His ropes are wrong. He can't find the right rope.

Abbie & Ryan and Natalie & Nadiya both get taxis. Natalie & Nadiya tell their taxi driver that they have to beat the"goras" (aka Abbie & Ryan). Apparently goras means white people but it isn't derogatory. Why can't they just say Abbie & Ryan...

Abba finds the right ropes. *I can't tell which is which. Apologies. :lol:

Natalie & Nadiya and Abbie & Ryan both arrive at the market. They both get the clue from the eggplant vender.

Josh & Brent depart 4th at 10:53 AM. Brent works on the farm the entire time, and Josh works in the city 5 days a week.

Rob & Kelley depart at 10:59 AM.

Chips depart at 11:10 AM.

Abba's scale gets approved, so he starts to try to balance it. He finishes the roadblock. Detour!

Detour: Straw Dogs or Bamboo Jungle.
Straw Dogs: Help manufacture eco-friendly jute bag.
Bamboo Jungle: Grab 40 bamboo poles of various lengths and put them on a rickshaw. Then deliver it to a construction site.

This is a point of clarification on the bamboo poles. What was needed was 10 medium-length, 10 long length and 20 short-length poles. 40 total poles is correct but the count of each size did matter.