Author Topic: TAR 21 Ep 2 Discussion! Hosted by TAR 19's Cindy and Ernie!  (Read 71152 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 21 Ep 2 Discussion! Hosted by TAR 19's Cindy and Ernie!
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »
Please join us here again tonight for another fabulous episode recap discussion, led by TAR 19's WINNERS, Cindy and Ernie!!  :hearts:

Exact time TBD determined based on football, lol.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 21 Ep 2 Discussion! Hosted by TAR 19's Cindy and Ernie!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
New TIME!

MONDAY night 9-11PM CST!! Come join the fun!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
New TIME!

MONDAY night 9-11PM CST!! Come join the fun!!

Don't forget!!:yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »
Hi Everyone! Did you get a chance to see Episode 2 of this season? We are here, ready to chat and interested in your thoughts!  Let's start with...
Ernie Says: What about that first challenge? What a waste of time that was! That one is up for the running for "most useless challenge in TAR history". Competing with our challenge in Indonesia where we were bike cops. What did you think?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »
Hi guys!!

We knew from spoilers that there was a possibilty of "bull-racing", but I was ultimately disappointed in this one! Remember Tian being dragged by the bull thru the mud?? Now that was a "bull racing" task that took courage! This was a bit of a let down, but perhaps the real deal was thought to be too dangerous??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:15:59 PM »
We would have like to have seen them have to decide whether they'd race on the bull or on the bike. One of the things Ernie thought was that the teams could go in "heats" and the winner of that heat would move on to the roadblock. Then the next "heat" would go, so on and so forth. But the challenge here was just getting to that number. Everyone left in the same order they took numbers so there was no suspense in this task.  We heard that between #1 and #7 was an hour and half, so basically the task just paced the teams out.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:17:07 PM »
Hi Ernie and Cindy! :waves:

I thought the bull-racing task was also a waste of time. You didn't even have to finish faster than the bull to get the clue! It wasn't even a race. :lol:

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »
What do we think about the team that was ultimately eliminated? Amy & Daniel were such a strong and inspiring team. They were almost 1st place in the first leg, and to drop so far behind after leaving the bulls 2nd was disappointing.  Do you like that cab drivers should have so much control over the team's fate? Or do you think Amy & Daniel should have left the taxi for another one that knew where they were going?

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
Hello again!  Yeah, it was no race! What was the point of it?! )-**

Hi Ernie and Cindy! :waves:

I thought the bull-racing task was also a waste of time. You didn't even have to finish faster than the bull to get the clue! It wasn't even a race. :lol:

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
Amy & Daniel's elimination was surprising. They had the potential to go so far. :( I guess it shows how much luck is involved in this race. I probably would have switched taxi driver.

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
What the heck were the monster truck drivers doing on a separate flight from everyone else? Did they think they would get to Indonesia faster?  This early in the race, it doesn't make much sense to separate yourselves from the pack. You'll eventually meet up with every other team and so it's a risk that is unnecessary at this point. 

This is similar to the time we were in Indonesia on our way to Thailand. Andy & Tommy, Zach & Lawrence got on the flight that departed earlier, but had 2 lay overs and ultimately ended up arriving in Phuket hours behind the rest of the teams.  But it didn't even make a difference because all of the teams started on the speed boats at the exact same time the next day.

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
If you have a bad cab driver, you have to switch it. If you feel like you're going in the wrong direction, you have to get out and find it yourself. So many teams think the drivers know where to go when sometimes they have no idea how to decipher the clue.  Amy & Daniel finished the bulls 2nd - but came in last, which was several hours behind twinnies. They must have been lost for more than 2 or 3 hours. in all that time, they could have asked to go to a hotel to use the internet!

There was one time where sticking with our cab paid out - when we were in Panama on the way to the Pit Stop. He was persistent in telling us he know where to go, he knows where the pit stop was. We had to trust him, because we sure didn't know!

Amy & Daniel's elimination was surprising. They had the potential to go so far. :( I guess it shows how much luck is involved in this race. I probably would have switched taxi driver.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »
Reading Amy's interviews, I think they did try mutiple cabs...but I love the self driving and the times where y'all used local transport the best!

Would you have a liked a race where taxis were not allowed?/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
Hi guys!

Yes, I agree with you.  Doesn't seem too smart to separate from the pack.  They'd got lucky - as the guys in your season - that there was an HoO (Hours of Operations), other way - with a night leg - they would probably be eliminated even before reach the bull race.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline KT6DM

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »
I read where they switch cabs twice - so they had three cab drivers - said they lost over 4 hours on the cabs, and exhausted most of their funds.

Did you two make good use of the internet on researching your flights - connections/arrival times?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
 :bigwelcome to all our guests tonight!! Thank you for joining us!!

Please feel free to register and join in the discussion!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 09:33:39 PM »
We heard this was challenging to find the motor place, since there were several car-type-operations with the same name.  It always LOOKS easier on TV than it actually is! Plus, when you are racing, you're so stressed out and not thinking straight!

I really wished we could watch Amy & Daniel more. There are other teams that aren't as interesting to watch.

Taxi's are a huge part of the show, we like that you have to interact with the locals and there's a sense of luck or fate involved when picking a driver.  It wouldn't be the same show if you drove yourselves everywhere.

In Atlanta, we said we didn't want an older driver.... we THOUGHT the young drivers would be faster and more aggressive.  We couldn't get anyone to take us and finally went with the older gentleman. It was the best decision we made because he knew all of the roads like the back of his hand, he was so kind and patient with us and ultimately was a huge part of our success. Thanks Ben!!  :hrt:  :keeta:

Reading Amy's interviews, I think they did try mutiple cabs...but I love the self driving and the times where y'all used local transport the best!

Would you have a liked a race where taxis were not allowed?/

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
That sounds a lot like Andy & Tommy from our season in Panama. They kept switching cabs and spending their money. The money provided for each leg doesn't get you too far - just enough for you to make minor mistakes. But if you ride around town for hours, you're going to spend your whole budget and end up walking 4 hrs like the twins Liz and Marie from our season (in Bangkok).

We used the internet as much as we could. Some places didn't have as much availability as others, but the internet literally has everything now! It's best to get the flight that LANDS first, not the one that DEPARTS first.

I read where they switch cabs twice - so they had three cab drivers - said they lost over 4 hours on the cabs, and exhausted most of their funds.

Did you two make good use of the internet on researching your flights - connections/arrival times?

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
It seems like in the later seasons, that every leg starts off with some sort of 'equalizer' where all teams start the leg around the same time. This allows teams in the back to catch up and have a chance to win.  It wouldn't be fun if the first place team started accumulating hours of lead time! There would be no suspense or drama!

Hi guys!

Yes, I agree with you.  Doesn't seem too smart to separate from the pack.  They'd got lucky - as the guys in your season - that there was an HoO (Hours of Operations), other way - with a night leg - they would probably be eliminated even before reach the bull race.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »
I am so sad that we did not get to see more of Amy and Daniel, she is incredibly inspiring and they both seem like genuinely nice people. I would have loved to see them race further!! :hrt:

You two had an awesome driver in ATlanta. I know EXACTLY the challenges of that day :lol: and since I-85 was shut down at the crucial time...he did a truly amazing job at navigating thru and around the blockages!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
It seems like in the later seasons, that every leg starts off with some sort of 'equalizer' where all teams start the leg around the same time. This allows teams in the back to catch up and have a chance to win.  It wouldn't be fun if the first place team started accumulating hours of lead time! There would be no suspense or drama!

But weren't you ever discouraged at working so hard on a leg, and then having all the lead time you accumulated wiped out? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 09:43:44 PM »
That sounds a lot like Andy & Tommy from our season in Panama. They kept switching cabs and spending their money. The money provided for each leg doesn't get you too far - just enough for you to make minor mistakes. But if you ride around town for hours, you're going to spend your whole budget and end up walking 4 hrs like the twins Liz and Marie from our season (in Bangkok).

We used the internet as much as we could. Some places didn't have as much availability as others, but the internet literally has everything now! It's best to get the flight that LANDS first, not the one that DEPARTS first.

It could happened to you and Amani & Marcus if Jeremy & Sandy's cab driver didn't tell yours where to go.  And Jeremy & Sandy suffered that on Atlanta.
That is a classic of TAR.  One of the thing that remains the same through the seasons.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
If you had to pick 3 teams to race against (this season or any former seasons) who would you pick and why? 

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
We were so lucky that our cab drivers were talking to the other cab drivers in Panama, otherwise, we would have been in even more trouble.  We tried to get our cab driver to take us back to the dancers in the square but he was insisting that he knew exactly where we were going and would not take us back to the square. We had a language barrier and couldn't totally understand what was going on. We had to trust the taxis and it was a time we really lucked out.  Luck is a huge part of the game.  Who knows what would have happened if our taxi drivers weren't talking. We probably would have gone back to the dancers, we may or may not have beat Andy & Tommy to the mat.  It's too tough to say because you never know what can happen.

It could happened to you and Amani & Marcus if Jeremy & Sandy's cab driver didn't tell yours where to go.  And Jeremy & Sandy suffered that on Atlanta.
That is a classic of TAR.  One of the thing that remains the same through the seasons.

Offline ErnieCindyTAR19

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »
The absolute worst situation was when we were going from Copenhagen to Brussels. We had an almost 4 hour lead, then we all had to take the same train from Hamburg to Brussels!  The whole lead was wiped out, and winning the leg all came down to the "muscles in Brussels" challenge... and we had to endure that whole 'lost ticket' situation which was stressful enough!  It's really discouraging when you reach an 'equalizer' because all that time you worked to gain gets wiped out in a moment.

But weren't you ever discouraged at working so hard on a leg, and then having all the lead time you accumulated wiped out? ???