Author Topic: Twist(s) should be added in TAR US  (Read 5154 times)

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
Twist(s) should be added in TAR US
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:51:30 PM »
Speed Bump should be replaced by Handicap as an alternative penalty for the last team in non-elimination legs, in handicap the team who finished last in NEL completes same tasks with other teams but one of them (usually ARI task) requires harder to complete it.
Elimination point in keep on racing would make the leg more exciting as no safe heaven for any teams

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Twist(s) should be added in TAR US
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »
I hate the twists the most. #TARClassic

:gnome
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:25:14 PM »
Oh crap, I meant for my vote to go to Handicap, not KOR with elimination. The other 2 could work, but IMO there's "if's" on them

Must-Vote U-Turn: Okay idea, IF not done every leg a la Israel, where it basically turns into a popularity contest with the same team being targeted multiple legs in a row.

Face-Off/Double Battle: Could work IF you don't have casts like Canada who tend to be penalty-happy for the early legs. Said version showed how breakable it is on the first one with 3 teams not finishing. The other con is it gives the strong teams an unfair advantage. It's pretty much always been one of the weakest teams that gets the penalty for being there last.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »
Give every team an Express Pass at the start, but limit the number of teams that can use it within a single task (ie not everyone can use it to skip the same Detour).

eta - Face Off / Double Battle would be fun if the tasks weren't all sport themed and if they weren't at F4 all the time.

Offline Palperro

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • aka Paldog aka Paldog123456
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the Intersection is great (if it is put in a good location / with a good task - the Poland one in TAR11 basically set Joe/Bill up for elimination and was unfair for them) - it really makes for a fun episode! I miss it.

Side note: the Intersection Kielbasa Detour from Krakow in TAR11 might be my favorite task/clip ever from TAR - all the comments in that scene are hilarious. :lol:
Por ti volaré

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 01:12:32 AM »
INVADER TWIST!!!

FACE-OFF!!!

MUST-VOTE U-TURN!!!

Offline Boring Dude

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 01:41:58 AM »
Some twists with could be cool but are not on the list above:

1) Express Pass hidden at another task (such as RB or ARI). Teams are warned at the beginning of the leg to keep their eyes peeled for the EP, but are not given specific clues as to its location. It would be easily visible, but teams would have to find it still. Really rewards teams who are observant and can multitask well.

2) Doubleback. Essentially a roadblock u-turn.

3) New and Improved Yield. An additional task (similar to a speed bump) that 1 or 2 teams can be forced to complete in the same way as a u-turn. Could also be called a Hazard or Backstab.

4) Start Line Merge. In a 12 team season, the last two teams to complete a start line task are merged into one team, consisting of one member from each team. This would create drama. Lots of drama.

5) Fans vs. Favorites: Perfect Strangers. 11 previous racers returning without their teammates + 11 new racers, matched up as in season 29. Probably the best way to implement a FvF theme into TAR.

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 02:56:05 AM »
Double Battle was far more successful in Israeli version, even strong teams like Bar & Inna, Alan & Oren already lost in double battle

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 03:22:46 AM »
I always want to see RB has its own power race like u-turn... So it's really cool to have doubleblock (or kinda)  :hoot:

Also Fans vs Favorites 's gimmick is cool since TAR 29 has done successfuly with Blind teams gimmick
what might have been

EAOWadsy

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 05:27:45 PM »
I most definitely agree with Paldog... Bring back the 'Intersection' twist because it worked very well with the All-Stars season in particular. It was so awesome and kept things interesting. I would also like to see the following (instead of production team getting lazy):

- 2 Fast Forwards per season
- 2 Double U-Turns per season but placed near the mid point of a leg, not at the end which is a waste of time
- A To Be Continued leg as a double leg, rather than two separate legs. This hasn't happened since TAR 14, and it would create an additional episode, but still keep 3 ordinary non-elimination legs.
- Bring back the Hazard twist, for the team that completes a starting line task last
- Another idea here... Bring back the Yield. Just for a single leg of a season, to add on top of there already being 2 U-Turns

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »
I most definitely agree with Paldog... Bring back the 'Intersection' twist because it worked very well with the All-Stars season in particular. It was so awesome and kept things interesting. I would also like to see the following (instead of production team getting lazy):

- 2 Fast Forwards per season
- 2 Double U-Turns per season but placed near the mid point of a leg, not at the end which is a waste of time
- A To Be Continued leg as a double leg, rather than two separate legs. This hasn't happened since TAR 14, and it would create an additional episode, but still keep 3 ordinary non-elimination legs.
- Bring back the Hazard twist, for the team that completes a starting line task last
- Another idea here... Bring back the Yield. Just for a single leg of a season, to add on top of there already being 2 U-Turns

I thought the Krakow intersection was awful. It was a great task which was hilarious but structually it didn't work. Having 2 buses which were spread apart (cant remeber exact times) and makng 1 team member (D&K) fall behind and not to mention Joe and Bill were marked for elimination and the roadblock after was linear. It was similar to Tar aus2 leg 6. Ross & Taryn were marked for elimination and were set to beat James & Sarah but were screwed by the intersection. I belive the intersection worked great in Tar Aus 1 leg 8 (Poland) and Tar10 leg 8 (Madagascar). It kind of worked in S16 I just thought it was pointless as it was a bungee jump.

EAOWadsy

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »
That's precisely why I liked it, though I do agree on one thing - Joe & Bill's marked for elimination. Having it appear directly after a NEL was definitely not a great move. On TAR10, I felt that they weren't intersected long enough, whereas here it was better. Dustin & Kandice falling behind because of that is part of the game in my opinion, and they got the short straw. It was a good twist, that needed to be utilized better than what it was.

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 06:44:52 PM »
I'd love to see the Intersection again, as it is fun to watch. I want the Double-Length Legs to make a comeback again. like in S.9 from Brazil to Russia then to Germany and S.10 from Madagascar to Finland then on to Ukraine. It costs more for production but since we are having just 1 season per year then why not make it longer, IMO.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 04:43:49 AM »
I'd love to see the Intersection again, as it is fun to watch. I want the Double-Length Legs to make a comeback again. like in S.9 from Brazil to Russia then to Germany and S.10 from Madagascar to Finland then on to Ukraine. It costs more for production but since we are having just 1 season per year then why not make it longer, IMO.
Technically KOR is the same as a double-length leg
I honesty don't see any difference between the two

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 08:06:05 AM »
Technically KOR is the same as a double-length leg
I honesty don't see any difference between the two

You don't get where I'm coming from. In S.7, we had 2 different places of India visited on the 8th leg with Jodphur and Lucknow. In S.9 we had Russia & Germany in Leg 3 and in S.10 with Finland & Madagascar in Leg 9. 2 Roadblocks and 2 Detours shown over 2 different episodes. In a nutshell, 2 countries in 1 leg.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »
Double Battles/Face Offs I think work if they are NOT sports themed and are more fun, quirky challenges at the START of the Leg. Maybe even essentially an Hours of Operation-type deal. I haven't seen any HaMerotz Double Battles, but read about them and most seem very fun and not automatic eliminators, if you know what I mean.

On TARPH2, one of the best tasks of the season was a combo Road Block/Duel Duel  :D It was Leg 8 in Iloilo where teams had to hop on a cart pulled by a carabao through mud while needing to grab 3 flags. They faced off in pairs and the first to cross the finish line in each Duel would get the next clue. But if neither team got all 3 flags, both had to go to the end of the line. It was the best Duel Duel of the season and definitely one of the best overall tasks too.

This is the kind of stuff that I would want to see if TARUS ever "invents" the Double Battle/Face Off like TAR Canada "invented" it  :funny:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
On TARPH2, one of the best tasks of the season was a combo Road Block/Duel Duel  :D It was Leg 8 in Iloilo where teams had to hop on a cart pulled by a carabao through mud while needing to grab 3 flags. They faced off in pairs and the first to cross the finish line in each Duel would get the next clue. But if neither team got all 3 flags, both had to go to the end of the line. It was the best Duel Duel of the season and definitely one of the best overall tasks too.
This already sounds extremely fun and suspenseful!
Twists like this would make TAR legs less straightforward and would take the competition to the next level. :)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 08:36:16 PM »
TARPH2 was garbage though  :funny:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »
That doesn't mean they didn't have good and creative tasks and challenges here and there, which they absolutely did. Probably a few more in 10 Legs than many recent TARUS seasons in 12.

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 02:27:47 PM »
I think the NEL Penalty need to be diversify. My suggestion would be adding Auto U-Turn, adding the requirement needed for task completion alongside with speedbump so that NEL penalty can be rotated which team would anticipate what kind of NEL penalty wait for them.

Also, we need to bring back intersection as well but not cramped together with FF and NEL penalty.
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline CanadianOwl

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 12:50:25 AM »
I wish that they didn't announce a U-Turn on a leg until you finish your Detour. Teams strategize differently when you don't know that a U-Turn is ahead, and I like people being surprised.

One thing I do like to see is a true double-length final leg. Teams go to the US for the leg, and after doing all of the components of a typical final leg, they are surprised with a "Keep Racing" clue. They don't even meet Phil at the mat. Sort of similar structure to the Family Edition final leg, where you find charter flights to a different, unknown US city after the first half of the leg, each with a different time.