Author Topic: TAR 21 INTRO CAPS!! New Intro on p 4!  (Read 43551 times)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Re: TAR 21 INTRO CAPS!!
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Can anyone place this Disko? Coney Island, perhaps?

Slowhatch, there's a "Disk'o" on Luna Park in Coney Island, but I can't find a pic that matches with the cap; but I'm still looking for.

This is a better pic of it, it's from a Disk'O on Steel Pier, in Atlantic City.

Slowhatch, there's a "Disk'o" on Luna Park in Coney Island, but I can't find a pic that matches with the cap; but I'm still looking for.

Here's Coney Island's Luna Park Disko, BUT it's painted in different colors?   :duno:

:gaah:

The gondolas of the wheel in the background of the cap doesn´t match with the big wheel on Coney Island.
(Unless there's another one.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:37:29 AM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »

It's in Moscow:   :tup:

A fairly small selection of rides but indicative of the way Russian parks are. A small area within the much larger parks, no entrance fee, you just buy tickets for the rides you want to do.

It's located just west of Sokolniki Park in Moscow.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:31:00 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
There definitely is a Mega Disko ride in Coney Island, new in May 2010 according to the New York Times:

Coney Island in Brooklyn, where in just a few weeks he will present a new amusement park featuring 22 rides, including the Tickler, a family-oriented roller coaster; the whirly Mega Disk'o; and Air Race, a heart-gulping aerobatic experience.

However, I too can find no pictures of it but I have found this video of a Zamparelli designed Mega Disk'o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAtjsTovBS8
Standing restrained riders undergo a rocking motion continuously and then the entire platform they are on twirls with circular motion.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Palau de la Generalitat (photo source and viewpoint)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »
The "Faro de Formentor" (the "Formentor Lighthouse"), on the Formentor Peninsula,
at the Mallorca Island, in the Baleares Islands.   :)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:46:40 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
The inside look of a round construction looks like the "Castell Bellver", in Palma de Mallorca. I would try to find a pic.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:21:13 PM by Alenaveda »

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
The "Castell Bellver", on Palma de Mallorca.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:03 PM »
Just as a data, between both places there's a four hours trip, including ferry.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:01:48 AM by Alenaveda »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 11:33:26 PM »
The inside look of a round construction looks like the "Castell Bellver", in Palma de Mallorca. I would try to find a pic.

:res:  Doesn't anyone read the previous posts around here.   :lol:  This was iD'd in Reply #3 yesterday.   :groan:   Going over old ground here....   :lol3:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »
There definitely is a Mega Disko ride in Coney Island, new in May 2010 according to the New York Times:

However, I too can find no pictures of it...

ummm... try reading Reply #26....  surprise!   :ascared

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 11:49:23 PM »

However, I too can find no pictures of it...

ummm... try reading Reply #26....  surprise!   :ascared

Read Reply #28 too. :lol:

And here's a different pic of the wheel. No doubt is Moscow.  We have a match with the gondolas.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:58:05 PM by Alenaveda »

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 12:12:42 AM »

Barcelona, one of the places where teams can catch the Talgo to France. :hoot:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 09:26:39 AM »
My first guess would be Mozart, but that doesn't fit the timeline. Russia, maybe?

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »
Tchakilovsky? (Is that even how to spell it?)
Another Russian musician?

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »
My first guess would be Mozart, but that doesn't fit the timeline. Russia, maybe?

:lol: when I first saw it, kinda reminded me of a young Peter I (the Great).  Or at least someone from that century.  I'm coming up dry on that one.  :res:

FWIW, might be easier finding the "green colored building" (in Moscow?) behind him.  Find that, and you may find the statue.   :lol:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:36:57 AM by Boingo »

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »

Talgo is a Spanish company that builds highspeed trains.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »

Talgo is a Spanish company that builds highspeed trains.

The cast announcement today has shaken loose another sighting. From Facebook earlier today:

So glad the word is out. We met Josh and Brent on the Talgo Night Train to Paris in June when they were in the middle of racing and filming. Caroline and I will be watching on the 30th and cheering them on. Spoiler alert, when we met them there were four teams left!

I don't know if this is something we already knew or not, but it appears that the Beekman Boys are in the final four. They are getting one of the largest reactions on Twitter, so that will probably help ratings.  :tup: The fact that the Facebook poster doesn't mention other teams may be bad news for the Beekman Boys though.

Also, I'm not sure we ever nailed down which trains were used in France, so this may help with that.

About the trains, I found this:

The Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train provides overnight train service between France and Spain and Spain and Switzerland and Spain and Italy. Routes and travel times are:

Francisco de Goya - Paris to Madrid and Madrid to Paris 13h 21m
Joan Miro - Paris to Barcelona and Barcelona to Paris 12h 06m

The Joan Miro--Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train--Barcelona to Paris makes more sense to me, than Madrid to Paris. Current departure is 21:05 from Barcelona and arrival in Paris at 09:02. Current ticket prices are Gran Class = $338 per person, First Class = $275 per person and Tourist Class = $192 per person in 4 person rooms.

The Francisco de Goya--Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train--Madrid to Paris. Train leaves Madrid at 18:15 and arrives in Paris at 08:27. Current fares are the same as the Barcelona to Paris fares.

I think train choice depends on just what time that production wanted teams to arrive in Paris. I need to look at driving time to the chateaus in the Loire Valley and the times teams were observed there....that might help in determining which train.

The Joan Miro--Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train--Barcelona to Paris makes more sense to me, than Madrid to Paris. Current departure is 21:05 from Barcelona and arrival in Paris at 09:02. Current ticket prices are Gran Class = $338 per person, First Class = $275 per person and Tourist Class = $192 per person in 4 person rooms.

The Francisco de Goya--Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train--Madrid to Paris. Train leaves Madrid at 18:15 and arrives in Paris at 08:27. Current fares are the same as the Barcelona to Paris fares.

I think train choice depends on just what time that production wanted teams to arrive in Paris. I need to look at driving time to the chateaus in the Loire Valley and the times teams were observed there....that might help in determining which train.

The use of Barcelona as the transfer point from plane to train also makes great sense to me. There were 7 flights from Palma de Mallorca the afternoon of June 14. The Ellipsos train schedule that makes sense to me leaves Barcelona-Eastacio de Franca 2043 and arrives Orleans 0716 (note - there is no need to go to Paris since you would just turn around and come back). The smart thing to do (remember AR1) is to get off in Orleans, which is a much shorter distance from Tours than Paris is. The earliest train from Orleans to Tours is 0740 arriving 0856.

:tup:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »
There are more than one G. Perlee wagons.  The intro cap shot seems to better match this wagon:  Photo credits to elrina753

And when you look on the back of the wagon you will see that it is where the Chips were spotted!   :lol:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »

Also, since it is on wheels, it is possible that it was a moving target!   :groan:

That could explain the blue tarp that shows up in the Trey & Lexi shot (and also on a bridge).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »
Love that you found the backside!! That is a great find. They must be running the music part? I have seen these, they play a tune and the figures move around...

But those figures on the front have a zero match. :kuss: But it doesn't matter, there must be several...maybe one for each team even?? .
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
What do you think about this fellow? Seems a little grim for G. Parlee. Maybe a diorama in Java or Dhaka.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
The lampposts are a giveaway: the Blue Bridge (Blauwbrug).

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »
Love that you found the backside!! That is a great find. They must be running the music part? I have seen these, they play a tune and the figures move around...

But those figures on the front have a zero match. :kuss: But it doesn't matter, there must be several...maybe one for each team even?? .

Okay!  There are more than one of them roaming around Amsterdam.

Also, just noticed that the flywheel in the shot with a Chippendale is not belted to the electric drive motor.  That means he has to keep it turning by muscle power.   :groan:

It also means we won't see Racers get maimed by the machinery.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
What do you think about this fellow? Seems a little grim for G. Parlee. Maybe a diorama in Java or Dhaka.

Haven't we seen that one before? ???
RFF's Golden Rule: