Author Topic: TAR 21 Ep 2 "Long Hair, Don't Care"  (Read 42478 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR 21 Ep 2 "Long Hair, Don't Care"
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »
Didn't the editors include a couple of street name signage during that part of the episode?
That might help narrow it down. But it is clear the drivers either knew where the one location was or found out, or they didn't, so it does make me think there weren't that many locations.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2012, 10:53:13 PM »
One of my friends from Surabaya said that Wijaya Motor is really close to the Kali Genteng Bridge.

Anyway, there's one thing that bothers me. When Amy & Daniel's taxi driver asked people about where Wijaya Motor is, I heard that he said, "There wasn't any address." in Javanese. Wasn't address of the location always inserted in the envelope?
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2012, 11:02:44 PM »
Anyway, there's one thing that bothers me. When Amy & Daniel's taxi driver asked people about where Wijaya Motor is, I heard that he said, "There wasn't any address." in Javanese. Wasn't address of the location always inserted in the envelope?

I'm pretty sure that the local javanese people referred to the clue, where the clue didn't mention any adress, only the name 'Wijaya Motor', there's other thing that really bother is that the local woman said "there's no information in indonesia" and I said "whattt??" Helloo.. You can call 108 for general info about telephone numbers and adresses..  :gaah:
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2012, 08:45:29 AM »
In my opinion, this episode was a lot better than the Shanghai episode. :hearts:

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »
In my opinion, this episode was a lot better than the Shanghai episode. :hearts:

Not just in your opinion bro, in terms of US viewers also increase! ;)

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
This was better than the first episode but I'm still feeling this could be the worst season since the 13th.

The editing is still at a zany pace at times, it was hard to even make sense of some of it like the ice block task until they showed it more normally with the Best Friends female team.  It's not a music video and they to build up the drama than hitting us with 100mph editing from the start to the end.

Still don't like most of the racers.  They've had an amputee on the race before but it would have been a story to follow I guess. The Monster Truckers took a different flight but we were never told when each flight would actually arrive so I suspected they could be last anyway.  And when they arrived when it was dark I knew immediately they have to wait until the next morning anyway, that's always the case now isn't it?

The only task drama really was the balloon blowing, which seemed an easy task for everyone but one team.  The tasks weren't really that demanding still. The opening task wasn't even a task it was just a processional.  When they show you teams saying one after another how 'amazing' and 'exhilarating' something is you can be guarranteed that it isn't amazing at all and they are just repeating what the producers want them to say lol.

The main drama was the taxis, but if that is the case surely the teams should be the taxi drivers and they should be the stars?

The black girls, monster truck drivers, the two who stuggle on the balloons and the best friends are the only ones I can remember now.  The two eliminated teams sadly left with them giving us hardly any memories from what we were shown.   I'm not sure there are any interesting relationships between the different teams at this point either.   
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:09:48 AM by starrynight »

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »
I haven't sensed that it's going to be a bad season. Yet. (I mean I know TAR 13 was not going to be good season after watching the first two episodes :( ) At least, I haven't felt the same way for this season.

My opinion could be changed after this season ends. Let's just hope it will be a good season!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:41:53 AM by Theodorus »
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
WHATTT? I know sometimes they have too much footage and just don't show some teams performing some tasks. For example, Trey and Lexi were five with the bulls, next moment POOF, they are together with James and Abba at the Roadblock even without doing the bull task.

BUT, I really like the pitstop edit, it was suspenseful... was actually going to comment how TAR had improved in editing.

I REALLY REALLY HAVE A LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS EPISODE.

Firstly, twin sisters winning the leg is just... like out of no where. Indeed, getting down and dirty for them PAID off. It's so random... I know they are a strong team but gosh... who expected them to win this leg... and this felt like a Brooke and Claire winning the Ghana leg in TAR 17 on Leg 2 as well... really really surprising!

And, I am terribly disappointed that another team got eliminated by BAD CABBY. Amy and Daniel, such a nice team, positive and nice and everything. If they had survived this leg, they would have been the team I was going to root for this season... Sigh... anyone as sad as me to see them go? I REALLY REALLY LIKE THEM. :(

Sigh.......................

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »
Love them.  :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2012, 05:16:07 PM »
Dear Starrynight,

Why do u have such a pessimist arguments?
Even though we are all have free rights to comment, but this time I had to disagree with you, hehe :)

Hearing a 'Real-story' and live report and intense communication that me and prama had with our fellow detectives who were following them through is just unforgettable..

Indeed, the editing on the show seemed rush and everything, but if you can understand how difficult plus hot temperature was back in Indonesia, for the teams they were just stressfull and frustrated..

1. There was a taxi conflict that cost Nadiya-Natalie a long time to settle it down with the driver, they paid Rp 100.000 (around US$11) where the other team's taxis get paid $22, after a long time of arguing each other, it was not the twinnies fault, but the taxi-meter error reading, but the driver won't leave until he get paid the same amount of money like other taxis.. In this case, the local Indonesian TV crew helped them to paid the difference (I'm not sure if this is fair or not..)

2.James-Abba and almost the majority of teams are really having a hard time finding the whip clue hanging on the wood that night, they go around and round and round..circling the park and town square for almost 20 minutes.. Some of them even searched underneath the soil and stuff (they assumed it was burried somewhere) they didn't expect that the clue will be hanging on the wood fence as there were lots of vendor selling stuff that also used fence to hang their goods..

3. Amy-Daniel and Gary-Will the distance between those two teams is not that close, it was approximately an hour (1hr) apart of each other *according to the live report*, so there's really no luck for the last team to catch up..

4. Pabean market is not that simple like shown on TV, it's HUGE and I mean by huge like literally everyone came to fulfill their daily needs, and it's stink, and confusing alleys (it's not easy to find the pit stop *as shown on TV where racers just run straight to the other end* it's a good editing I must admit.

5. Almost all teams after they checked in with Phil, they stayed at the market for a little while to make some notes about the leg and all activities involved in that leg, maybe just to keep noticed so when it comes to memory challenge they're ready (here some of our friends got the opportunity to chat with the teams.. Amy-Daniel cried so sad and pretty long, everyone who were watching also cry and sad (eventhough they don't understand english) but it was a really sad scenery *our friends also try to hold their tears, but they can't*

6. The distance between Roadblock and Wijaya Motor actually really close.. Only 15 minutes drive, but because it was not a famous spot or landmark, most of local people don't really know.. Unless the clue add "Honda Wijaya Motor Dealer" for sure every taxi drivers knew.. But again comes the rule of branding and sponsorship from TPTB, our friends who were following them also confuse when they heard only 'wijaya motor'..

7.Jaymes is a really nice guy and talk-active and humorous.. He's so funny, eventhough there were no cameras around them they still talk a lot (to be honest I'm a little jealous with my friends because they chat with most of the racers, what a truly unforgettable moment for them..)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »
The route info card only stated "Wijaya Motors." Unless there was additional info in their packet, that's all they got.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »
Am I the only person who liked Season 13?

Anyway, I actually really enjoyed the leg. My only complaint was the inconsistent editing (at the bull task and ice detour). I  :hrt: the bull task.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »
Thanks Zouly!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2012, 05:24:35 AM »
I don't want to be pessimistic but I looked through had a look at all the other seasons earlier this year and the Australian ones and this one has me worried.  I just want to like more of the teams and to feel more of the reality element of the show (the characters, the relationships).  I'll give it at least a couple more episodes but I want more character and task driven drama.  And I have so had enough of taxis deciding the result.  And I still see no point at all in the double your money twist.  Maybe they need to either go back to the basics of the race, or reinvent it in some way and just be more daring.  Also spend more of these millions they have so the show is more impressive.

:hrt: the bull task.

I didn't really see that as a task, they didn't even have to drive the motorcyles.  I'm not sure there was any way they could have failed it either.  I'd say it was more a spectacle event and not really part of the race.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:34:02 AM by starrynight »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »
I regard the bulls/motorcycles task as the most absurd ever in any Amazing Race. What was the point, other than to establish separation of maybe 3 to 5 minutes between teams?

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2012, 08:44:36 AM »
I regard the bulls/motorcycles task as the most absurd ever in any Amazing Race. What was the point, other than to establish separation of maybe 3 to 5 minutes between teams?

It actually established way longer than 5 minutes. It was also a way to see the culture. Trust me, there have been tasks way more absurd than that one.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2012, 10:19:35 AM »
iamthebalance,

By separation between teams, I meant that the first of 10 teams started and finished this task (using 4 minutes as the average separation time) 36 minutes before the 10th team. Do you have any proof that this is not approximately so?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »
The use of an active route marker to bunch teams for the night and provide a separation in the same order, evenly or not, the next morning either by an assigned time, flight, or completing a "task: is very frequent in TAR.
Had this been a detour or roadblock task, I am sure it would likely had been more difficult that riding on a motorbike racing with a team of bulls.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2012, 03:01:09 PM »
Separation happened as a result of teams having to wait their turn on the motorcycles in conjunction with two harnessed bulls and its driver. It had only to do with the inherent order of arrival at the whips, as long as all teams did not miss their specified-by-the-whip-number turn at Alun-Alun Stadium.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »
I actually thought the bull task was interesting and at least it made sense for teams to pick a number and got credited for their speed to the Alun Alun Stadium rather than bunch all of them together. It determined the positions of the teams also for this entire leg... but James and Abba checked in 6th too... but imagine their position could have been worst if they arrived last at the clue.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
And I hate ambiguous clue. Wijaya Motor... THERE'S LOADS IN INDONESIA. And WHY OH WHY, such a random place??

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
And I hate ambiguous clue. Wijaya Motor... THERE'S LOADS IN INDONESIA. And WHY OH WHY, such a random place??

This is the only issue that I had with this episode. I'm positive many teams (if not all) were confused and had problems with the clue, unless there was additional information we didn't get to see.