Author Topic: TAR 21: Gary Wojnar & Will Chiola "Best Friends/Substitute Teachers"  (Read 30341 times)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 21: Gary Wojnar & Will Chiola "Best Friends/Substitute Teachers"
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »
Fans of the show, are smart, use alliances only when it's advantageous. Yep, they're my favorite team.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »
And this is exactly the kind of thing that make this guys likeable, it's on one of the insiders videos:

Jaymes:  So.., what do you guys do?
Will:  Teach.
James:  Teach...
Gary: Oh, we're Federal Agents!

:lol3:  :lol3: :lol3:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline foreverhoping

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »

Alenaveda

And this is exactly the kind of thing that make this guys likeable, it's on one of the insiders videos:

Do you have a link to this video?  Thanks!

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »

Alenaveda

Do you have a link to this video?  Thanks!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27944.msg805632.html#msg805632
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
If these guys are super fans, why are they going with the cutt-throat strategy?

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »
Well look at Amy & Daniel. They helped another team and were passed on the way to the mat. What's to say that the exact same thing wouldn't happen to Gary & Will, only instead of being for first place, it's for last?

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 11:30:03 PM »
Strategy is fine. It seems that most teams had trouble finding the abacus, that made it hard for the teams to now what place they were in. I felt bad for Amy.

Offline Saravannan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »
Just finished watching the episode. Wasn't a huge fan of them. I respect the fact that they're huge race fans but I'm rather see them be gone sooner than later. I can't even put my finger on why I'm annoyed by them. Some combination of their strategy and personalities.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 03:15:22 AM »

Because they don't want to give away extra money. Besides Obama's cutting the budget for federal agents substitute teachers and they need the cash.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 12:32:49 AM »
ugh why couldnt if have been these douches

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 12:55:53 AM »
Because Gary & Will are awesome.

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 02:29:06 AM »
I don't like them and agree that they only made it this far completely on luck, nothing else.

They are by far the weakest team left and I will be astonished if they aren't the next to go.
Bring on the 21!

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 03:50:08 AM »
Looks like this is the weaker team that is featured for their characters more than anything.  And yet I still don't really like them.  That's a problem with this season, finding a team to root for.

Offline gigglypiggies

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 07:04:44 PM »
 :gaah: i really want to like these guys since they are from my state...but I can't. They aren't representin us michiganians good!

Offline bc922

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
http://www.thedeadbolt.com/1003028249-the-amazing-race-exit-chat-with-gary-wojnar-and-will-chiola.html

The Amazing Race Exit Chat with Gary Wojnar and Will Chiola
by Reg Seeton

This week on The Amazing Race 21, substitute teachers and superfans Gary Wojnar and Will Chiola were eliminated from competition in Dhaka, Bangaladesh.

Although Gary and Will were in the thick of competition this week on The Amazing Race, the two “superfans” arrived at the pit-stop in last place in front of host Phil Keoghan. Despite a close finish, both Gary and Will were eliminated after their driver made a key misstep with directions.

Their elimination comes on the heels of one of the most thrilling finishes ever on The Amazing Race last week when the substitute teachers caught a break to eliminate fellow racers Caitlin and Brittany. This week, however, their breaks ran out.

Following their elimination, The Deadbolt caught up with Gary and Will to find out what really happened in Bangladesh and what it was like to run The Amazing Race.

THE DEADBOLT: It looked like you guys finally hit your stride in Bangladesh. What really happened at the end of the leg?
WILL CHIOLA: At the end of the leg in Bangladesh, we kept going. We didn’t know that they were ahead of us. What happened was that our cab driver took us to the wrong side of the river, so we had to double back. We gave him the clue and he accidentally took us to the middle part of the clue. He took us to the wrong spot, but it was our own fault.

GARY WOJNAR: The way the clue was set-up, the beginning of the clue was in paragraphs. The first part of the clue said to make your way to the pit-stop, and told you where the pit-stop was. The middle of the clue had a paragraph that read in order for you to make your way to the pit-stop, you must go to a landing on the river, take a boat across to another landing and walk to the pit-stop.

We had folded over the top part of the clue because we didn’t want the cab driver to see that part, because it was not necessary at that point. We just had to get to the landing on the river.

At one point during the race, he got out of the cab and took the clue with him. We think he unfolded the clue and showed somone the top part of it and then took us to the wrong part of the river. It was the landing that we were supposed to take the boat across to. So, that was an unfortunate error.

But what it came down to was that had I done the roadblock quicker, we’d still be in the race.

THE DEADBOLT: Being superfans, how was the race different than what you thought it would be before it all began?
WILL: It was very hard in the fact that we had to communicate with the locals. Sometimes “yes” means “no.” You ask them to take you to a certain spot and sometimes it’s like asking to go to Kmart but you’re really going to Walmart.

It was tough trying to communicate with the cab drivers in saying, “no, we need to go here, not there.” Going from point A to point B was very hard. And with the heat and lack of sleep, hunger, it all adds up.

It’s hard not to get upset and we tried to stay calm. Gary and I get upset with each other, but we’re used to it. We didn’t want to get upset with the locals. We’re in their country representing The Amazing Race and representing the United States. We wanted to leave a good impression.

GARY: Will and I made it a point that before we went on the race we’d treat the people in other countries with dignity and respect. We were representing not only ourselves on the race but America also. We wanted to leave a good impression with them. And just because they didn’t quite understand what we said was no reason at all to get angry with them.

THE DEADBOLT: The week before, when you had the close finish with Caitlin and Brittany, what were you guys thinking when your driver took the right turn at the end?
WILL: When we got the driver, we asked him how to get to the market. Then he asked the guy behind us and we thought, wait a minute, why are we taking him if he doesn’t know? We switched drivers but we knew that even though he was slower, he knew exactly where he was going. We were confident that we were going the right way and weren’t worried about where the girls were going. Every place he took us to was correct.

THE DEADBOLT: That must have been exciting.
GARY: It was so exciting because we had no idea they were behind us. When we were at the U-Turn and we U-Turned Team Georgia, we took a chance that someone was behind us. We weren’t going to go out without using every tool that was available to us. So when we were going down the road and they passed us, we were like, “Holy crap! It’s the girls!”

When they took a left and we took the right, we turned around and asked our driver if it was the right way and he shook his head yes. At that point it was either right or wrong. But that was so exciting to win that. The girls were actually about 30 seconds beind us.

WILL: We knew that if it came down to a foot-race, we’d probably lose. So, we were very lucky to get there first ahead of them.

Offline bc922

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
http://www.etonline.com/tv/126113_Amazing_Race_Gary_and_Will_We_Let_Down_Our_Fans/index.html

'Amazing Race' Gary and Will: We Let Down Our Fans
By Lisa Hirsch

In a disappointing turn of events for Amazing Race devotees, superfans Will Chiola and Gary Wojnar were eliminated on Sunday night after falling behind in a bus-spackling challenge. The substitute teachers and best friends routinely finished toward the back of the pack, but never lacked for heart right up until the end of their Amazing Race journey in Bangladesh. ET catches up with the duo to get their take on their ouster.

ETonline: As fans of the show, how did that impact how you approached the race?
Will: We wanted to represent the fans and go as far as we could in the race. We've seen almost every episode. You never know exactly what to expect, you never know what to plan for. Ultimately, we felt like we let 'em down. We let our fans down. We're still in shock over being eliminated. Until we actually see it, we can't grasp the fact that we're no longer on the show representing our fans and ourselves.

Gary: The show is so much more difficult than they show on T.V. When Phil says it's just about traveling from point A to point B, just the traveling from point A to point B is very intense. We had a great time on the show, but being cast in the show, and [watching from home and complaining about] what happened in what episode to what person, doesn't necessarily translate to actually running the show.

ETonline: In what way were you most surprised by the race?
Will: I was most surprised in the race on how to communicate with the locals. You wanna get from point A to point B, you ask the taxi-cab driver to take you to KMart, all of the sudden you're at Walmart, you're thinking "Wow. How'd we get it wrong?" And he doesn't understand that you're at the wrong place, and you have to go back and try to explain it to the taxi-cab driver. The communication with the locals is the hardest part. But they're doing the best they can, we appreciate them working with us. We are very appreciative of the taxi cab drivers and the becak drivers, they're just doing the best they can. We're just trying to represent the United States, and The Amazing Race in the best way we can.

Gary: It wasn't their job to learn our language. We were in their country. We were acting not only as ambassadors of ourselves and The Amazing Race, but also the United States. Because when those people meet us, they are meeting someone from a place. One thing we are extremely proud of, throughout the years we've seen racers just complain and berate cab drivers and local people, one thing we are extremely proud of is we treat everybody with dignity and respect. You go to a country like Bangladesh, I think the average income is something like 600 American dollars a year, giving somebody a little extra money for a cab ride, [is] not gonna kill us, but it could make their week, it could make their month. So we were really proud of that fact, how well we treated the local people. And it's funny, not funny but, there's so much poverty in Indonesia and Bangladesh it's so depressing, and yet most of the people had a smile on their face, were so eager to help us. A pat on the back, a handshake, a thumbs up, a laugh, they did so much for us, and they didn't even know it.

Will: You can see they want to be helpful, you can see their energy. We just were feeding off of it.

Gary: That's one of the things we enjoyed most about the race, being able to soak in the local culture, a couple times we said, "We'll check it out." You can feel it, hear it, smell it, we're never gonna be here again. That was just a fantastic experience, and it was just so much fun doing it.

ETonline: What was the biggest or most surprising lesson you learned about other cultures?
Gary: The most surprising thing -- when you read about a country or watch it on T.V. you don't really know; you can't experience it until you are there. Obviously, from previous races, you see India, you see Bangladesh, you see all the poverty, but until you're there, you don't know how oppressive it is. Combined with the heat, you don't really realize what people go through just to have an existence, and it makes us so appreciative of what we have here. Another thing that surprised me was how helpful people were really, just strangers in their land that were willing to do anything for us. And they probably really didn't even know what we were doing, because we couldn't communicate to them, but once again, it's that universal language, a smile, a nod, a thumbs up, that people understand and appreciate.

Will: We saw a moped with five kids on it going to school.

Gary: There was a father, three kids, and a mother in back. I mean, it's so foreign to us. But this is how they have learned to live. I mean, I don't know how people drive in some of the countries we were in. Those traffic lights are just a barrage of cars, and elephants, and bikes, and camels. It was so exciting, unlike anything we've ever experienced. I've learned to appreciate the opportunities we have here. It was so sad that in Bangladesh, [there is] so much poverty. And it's still sort of a caste system there, where if you're born into poverty, [you're] probably gonna live your life in poverty, and die in poverty, your kids are gonna be like that, like your father, and their father. So in America, we have opportunity if we don't have a good lot in life, to improve it, and it's up to us to take it upon ourselves as individuals to do that.

Will: To their lifestyle, the way they lived, how can you get mad at them? They're just doing the best they can.

ETonline: Especially with the language barrier, [it seems like] some Americans expect people to speak English everywhere they go, and that's not really realistic.
Will: It's like having a foreigner come to our country, thinking, I would expect them to speak English, and I wouldn't. They can speak their language, and I'll try the best I can.

Gary: They were as helpful as they can be and like I said, we don't expect them to speak our language, there's 192 countries and thousands and thousands of dialects. Why should we be stuck up enough to expect people to be able to speak English? No way, we know that. And we showed that on the show.

Will: Ultimately we are responsible from how we get from point A to point B. Not the taxi-cabs, not the bacak drivers.

Gary: If we got a bad cab ride, or a bad bike ride, ok, that's something we have to deal with. [In] the last show I didn't get the Bondo, even though we were there maybe an hour behind everybody, but I should've been able to do that, because I've worked with Bondo, all the cars were Bondo bonds when I was growing up. So I should've been able to do that in a more timely manner.That's why we were eliminated. Not because of cab drivers, because of my inability to do that.

Will: I've known Gary for 35 years, I know Gary can fix or make anything. I'm really happy with how he did the Bondo, it just didn't work out that day, at that time.

Gary: Everybody was there a long time. It was 101 that day in Dhaka, we were sweating rivers of sweat, everybody was having issues with it. I actually scraped it off twice, and started over, three times I did it. There's so many things you could do differently, of course hind sight is 20-20.

ETonline: Of all the different roadblocks and challenges you had to do, which one was the hardest?
Will: For me, making balloons because I'm not good at creative stuff like that. When I found out I had to make eight balloons and I had no idea how I was gonna do it, Gary was supporting me, it looked like he was yelling at me, but he was actually supporting me, giving me confidence. Because I knew I could do it, eventually finish it. It took me an awful long time to do it, but I never gave up, I never quit. But that was very, very difficult for myself.

Gary: I have never seen Will in a state like that, and it was a state of almost [having a] panic attack. He was drenched in a river of sweat, I tried to get him to stop, but he was in such a zone, that he wasn't listening to me. So finally he was able to stop, and he did some breathing exercises. That was very difficult for him. I think for me, I am terrified of heights, and I knew going on the race that there was gonna be heights, it was something I would have to overcome. When we were standing on the Colorado Street Bridge, and one of the other races said, "Oh look, there's ropes down there, looks like we're gonna have to jump off the bridge." "We couldn't wait a little while 'til we went to another country?" I thought to myself. But watching the show, you could see I was a little terrified doing it. But Will was standing there with me, and we jumped off ... and we made our way down the ropes.

Will: I've known Gary for 35 years, and we never really traveled together because of his fear of heights, and he overcame it. This show helped him overcome his fear of heights and I'm really proud of him.

ETonline: As teachers, have you incorporated the race into your lessons now?
Will: Yes. Almost every class I teach now, we look at some of the teams of The Amazing Race and show them how teamwork will get things done, [to] never quit, we've got to work together, not only in the race but in life. Being part of a team will help you accomplish any goal you need.

Gary: I try to incorporate the different cultures, and different languages and visions that our country has. But also, the most important thing I try to show the kids is in the different countries, there's not a lot of opportunity for people. There really isn't. But in the United States, even though there are times when we're down, when we might not have gotten the best lot in life, there are opportunities here. I try to tell the kids that every president, every astronaut, every scientist, every carpenter right now were [once] sitting right there where they are right now in a sixth grade classroom. We have the opportunity here to decide what we want to do, and there's people here that will constantly help us reach that goal that you have. So definitely you're trying to explain to them, that in the United States, it's true, we probably [have] the best country to live in, we have it better than 99 percent of the world.

ETonline: Which team do you think is going to win?
Will: I think every team still left has different strengths and attributes that could get them to the finish line, but I really like the rockers working alone, 'cause they're ultimately responsible for their own demise or success, so I give them credit for working alone, not making alliances, and doing the race their way.

Gary: Ryan and Abbie are so determined, they are dog-eared in how they go through, and build the machines. We also think the goat farmers and their low-key approach [is great and they] are such nice people. We enjoy the company of all the racers. All the racers have positive attributes and we plan on remaining friends with them for the rest of our lives.

Offline bc922

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 05:42:10 PM »
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-gary-wojnar-and-will-chiola-talk-the-amazing-race-%28part-1%29-13993.php

Exclusive: Gary Wojnar and Will Chiola talk 'The Amazing Race' (Part 1)
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 10/22/2012

Gary Wojnar and Will Chiola were eliminated from The Amazing Race during Sunday night's fourth broadcast of the CBS reality competition's 21st season.

The "Best Friends and Substitute Teachers" became the fourth team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's fourth Pit Stop at the Shambazar Chan Mia Ghat in Dhaka, Bangladesh in last place. The pair moved into last place after they experienced a long unnecessary "wild" cab ride through backroads, losing about an hour's worth of time, and then they couldn't regain speed once Gary greatly struggled with the Roadblock task.

In an exclusive interview on Monday, Gary and Will talked to Reality TV World about their The Amazing Race experience -- including what exactly went wrong in their final leg, what played a big role in Gary's struggle to repair his bus, how they would've felt about picking up rats had they opted to do the Fast Forward task, and whether they were happy with the Detour task they had selected or wished they had attempted the other one involving metal.

Below is the first portion of Gary and Will's interview. Check back with Reality TV World tomorrow for the concluding portion.

Reality TV World: About how far behind Trey Wier and Alexis "Lexi" Beerman do you think you finally got to the Pit Stop? The show didn't really seem to distinguish whether you were very close to or extremely far behind them.
Will Chiola: We're not sure. We think it might've been maybe 15-20 minutes.

Gary Wojnar: I think it was a little bit longer, because we ran into Trey and Lexi on the banks of the river, and they told us that the cab driver had taken us to the wrong site and we had to go across on the boat and take the boat back across the river to the landing we were at and then travel to the Pit Stop, which actually took quite awhile. I'd say a half-hour, 45 minutes. It's hard to say.

Reality TV World: You guys started off this leg in last place, however, the flight to Dhaka erased the gap and allowed you to catch up to all the other teams who had departed before you. Did it worsen the blow of your elimination knowing you started the leg off on a level playing field with your fellow Racers in that luck seemed to be on your side at least for awhile?
Gary Wojnar: Yes, we were really happy that we all got clumped together and were going to start on a level playing field. When we first started the leg, we thought that we could maybe win this leg. We were very confident.

And ultimately, we lost the leg because I wasn't able to do the Bondo [putty] quick enough. So when we got in our cab at the airport, the driver said, "Short cut! Down my road!" So we thought, "Okay, we'll take a short cut." And unfortunately, we kind of went the back way and Dhaka is a very, as it's shown on TV, a very populated city.

We were out in a flood-plain area on this road in the middle of nowhere. There was no house around, no cars. And we're looking on the map afterwards, and we found that we went kind of the back way and we arrived about anywhere, we thought, from about 45 minutes to an hour behind the first team at the first Roadblock.

So we were behind from the start, but I should've been able to do the Bondo. Because when I was younger, all my cars were made of Bondo. We fixed them that way. And I was actually happy when it ended up being a Bondo Roadblock because I had experience with it, but it was a very difficult task. Everybody was having difficulty with it.

Will Chiola: I was so confident Gary could do it. I thought for sure we could sail right through it, but it just didn't happen today.

Reality TV World: Last night's episode showed you two scrambling in your taxi on the way to the bus-repair shop, which forced you into last place again. Could you talk a little bit more about what exactly happened there? Did your driver get lost going those backroads or something?   
Will Chiola: Yeah, we got in the cab and we said we needed to go to the Bondo shop, and he said he was going to take us on a short cut.

Gary Wojnar: Looking at the map that we printed up at the travel agency before we started, heading from the airport to the [shop's location], you had to travel South and take a little jog left so you're sailing East. So, the cab driver said, "I know a short cut." So about two minutes into the ride...

Will Chiola: During the ride, we just stopped and we were in the middle of nowhere and all these people were swarming us. A lot of people were swarming us and we realized, "We don't want to go on a short cut! Don't take us on a short cut. Take us [to] that road." But he took us on a short cut and we just couldn't communicate with him properly.

Gary Wojnar: The short cut was actually getting off the main road and he made a left into like, I guess you would say, an alley or a very narrow, windy road to a bunch of shops. And then he did stop and ask some local people which way to go, and that's when we got our first clue, "He might not know a short cut."

So then we started saying, "Please, no short cut! Go back to the road, buddy!" But he just kept going with the short cut. So that's when we went on a wild taxi ride, which was probably an hour, hour-and-a-half.

Will Chiola: Yeah, we probably arrived an hour after the first team got there.

Reality TV World: You two had the opportunity to pick the Fast Forward task, but you probably knew you were behind other teams given the amount of time it took you to arrive at the Bondo shop. Could you talk about your strategy there in choosing to go ahead with the Roadblock task instead of the Fast Forward? Was it a decision you made solely because you thought other teams might have already started it and therefore had a good jump on the task?
Will Chiola: Well actually, when we came up the back way down the road, we saw the rockers [James LoMenzo and Mark "Abba" Abbattista] and they were already doing the Fast Forward. And we stopped there because we thought that was where the Roadblock was. We just saw those guys there, we saw Amazing Race flags and were like, "Oh, here's the Roadblock!"

But then when we tried to talk to them, and they said, "No, we're doing the Fast Forward." We actually went so far behind that we ran into the rockers. So when we did get to the Roadblock, which was about 15 minutes later I'd say...

Gary Wojnar: Yeah. We knew we were going to be at least 15 minutes, because it took us 15 minutes to get [to the] Roadblock. We were at least 15 minutes behind them, so we thought at that point, "You know what? We better stick with the Roadblock because we're way behind for the Fast Forward already."

Reality TV World: James L. and Abba seemed perfectly content with picking up rats for the Fast Forward task. How would you guys have felt about doing that? (Laughs)
Will Chiola: We would have loved to do the rats because it was pretty much just finding the rats and putting them into a bag. That stuff would be easy for me. I'm not scared of stuff like that.

Gary Wojnar: Yeah, that was no problem at all.

Will Chiola: It's like I had a problem in height and we had that in the Race from the start. But the rats, that wouldn't have been an issue at all.

Gary Wojnar: We were going to do anything to keep us in the Race. I mean, rats, we weren't scared of.

Will Chiola: If we could go back and we were there in the middle of the pack, we definitely would have done the Fast Forward.

Reality TV World: Gary, it did end up taking you a long time to finish repairing that bus for the Roadblock. How long do you think it took you? How far ahead of you do you think Trey finished it?
Gary Wojnar: I believe it took me between two-three hours to do that. I actually started. And when you asked the gentleman who was deciding if it was alright, he didn't tell you what was wrong with it. He would just say, "No." So I re-did it. I stripped it all off. I did it again.

I stripped it all off, and I kept using less hardener in the compound, because it was so hot -- when we went home, I think it was 100 degrees, maybe 101 -- so I kept using less hardener in the Bondo in order to make it [easier to apply]. But it was so hot that it was just bubbling up so quick. So it probably took us two, two-and-a-half hours to do that. And I think Trey left maybe 20 minutes before us?

Will Chiola: Yeah. Twenty minutes to a half-hour.

Gary Wojnar: Time just kind of jumbles up on you while you're on the Race.

Reality TV World: I don't recall last night's episode showing any footage of you guys searching through the bucket of dried fish for the painted one. How did that go for you two? Did you find your fish quickly or no?
Will Chiola: We found it pretty quickly. We found the fish in the barrel pretty quickly -- probably maybe two or three minutes. So that went pretty quick. We just dug out pieces of fish in there and we found it! It was difficult, but we just kept searching quick and found it.

Gary Wojnar: The most difficult part of that was finding the actual stall that we had to go through. What we did, in order to save us time -- because the market was a very large market -- we had the taxi driver drive us around the whole thing until we found it.

Because instead of getting on foot and running, we figured we could save time being in the cab at that point looking for it rather than being on foot. I think that did work out and it saved us some time there.

Reality TV World: You guys chose the "Pound the Cotton" Detour task instead of the metal one, and it seemed like most of the guys who picked the task were caught offguard when they realized it required sewing. Looking back on things now, do you wish you had picked the "Pound the Metal" task instead, and if so, why?
Gary Wojnar: The sewing was no big deal. I mean, you stick a needle through a couple pieces of cloth. That was nothing. I do think we should've picked "Pound the Metal" though. We don't know what the time difference was though because we didn't have the opportunity to talk to anybody afterwards, so we don't know if the metal was any faster.

But we kind of think in hindsight that the metal probably would've been faster. But we're not absolutely positive on that.

Will Chiola: Well the problem with the mattress was, we didn't know exactly what the man wanted. We would say, "What do you want us to do?" And he would just shrug, like, you're not done yet. So we didn't know exactly what we were supposed to do, so we kept kind of doing it over and over until he finally gave us the "thumbs up."

Gary Wojnar: That's correct. When you questioned if you were done, nobody would say anything. They would just shrug their hands and say, "No." I guess with the "Pound the Metal," you would have more of a definite answer because you actually have the metal [to observe]. So it probably would've been better to do "Pound the Metal."

Will Chiola: With "Pound the Metal," it looked like they actually had a guy there helping at the place where they did it.

Reality TV World: Any idea how long that "Pound the Cotton" Detour task actually took you guys?
Gary Wojnar: About an hour. The Detour task probably took an hour. Another reason we picked the mattress, which helped with our decision, was when we were looking at our choices, we asked somebody where the mattress was, and they showed us right next to the building.

We just had to walk up the stairs, and we asked where the other one was, and they didn't know. So we said, "Well we know our task is right here. Let's do it." That was one of the factors in our decision also.

Above is the first portion of Gary and Will's interview. Check back with Reality TV World tomorrow for the concluding portion.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
Thank you for these, bc922!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
TV GUIDE:

Amazing Race's Gary and Will: We're Responsible for Our Own Demise
Oct 22, 2012 06:44 PM ET
by Joyce Eng

Gary Wojnar and Will ChiolaAfter two close-call finishes, Gary and Will's Amazing Race luck ran out Sunday when they were eliminated after initially taking the wrong way to the Pit Stop. "We weren't close at all, but we knew we had to keep trying until Phil [Keoghan] told us we were eliminated," Will tells TVGuide.com. The self-professed super-fans of the Race are disappointed they didn't put up a better showing for fellow die-hards, but the substitute teachers say they are proud of one thing.

That wasn't a very suspenseful finish like last week since you guys had to go back to take the boat to the Pit Stop.
Gary: Yeah, we were maybe 30 minutes behind [Trey and Lexi]. We knew we were far behind because when we saw them at the boat landing, they were nice enough to let us know the taxi driver had sent us to the wrong side of the river, so we had to take the boat back and take another boat back to where we are, and that took a while.

How did you bypass the boat ride section?
Gary: The clue was very interesting. The top part said, "Make your way to the next Pit Stop at the boat landing." The middle part said you must go to a certain side of the river, take a boat across the river, then walk to the Pit Stop. We had shown our cab driver the clue. We had folded it because the important information was the middle paragraph ... so he would just see that section. However, at one point, he got out of the taxi to ask for directions and we think he unfolded the clue and showed someone the top part of the clue, which just say go to the Pit Stop, so that's how we ended up driving to the wrong side of the river.

Do you think it was that that did you in or choosing the cotton Detour since you did pass Trey and Lexi on the road?
Will: The cotton did take a bit of time. I think that's when Trey and Lexi ultimately passed us up since they did iron. But we don't know the time frame on the iron either. The mattress did take a lot of time, but I thought we kept a good pace on it. Ultimately, we were so far behind from the Roadblock that it hurt us. We were responsible for our own demise.
Gary: Yeah, and we took that taxi to the Pit Stop.

Why did you have so much trouble with the Roadblock?
Gary: Well, it was 101 degrees in Bangladesh that day. I know how to use the [putty] to repair the bus ... but I had to scrape it off and start it over twice. It wasn't the best surface to put it on. But it was what everybody else had to work with too. I wasn't the only who had difficulty with that.
Will: I think they were doing it a different way Gary was used to working with it.
Gary: It took probably two and a half hours. It was quite humid and quite oppressive, but it was something we all had to do.

Did you think you could make another comeback after your past two finishes?
Will: We definitely thought we were still in it when we passed Trey and Lexi. We just kept trucking and hoped we would beat them. At some point, they passed us, but we didn't see that.

It was nice of them to tell you the right direction about the boat since they could've easily screwed with you.
Will: Yeah, they were very helpful to us on the Race.
Gary: Trey is a great guy. All the teams — they are all fantastic. I mean, Amy and Daniel set up an organization for disabled athletes. We were helping back and forth with Trey and Lexi the whole time. I gave him one of my shirts because he needed one. We exchanged food at one point. We tried to be positive with all the teams.

Rob and Sheila told me you guys had an alliance and they were upset that you broke it when you didn't tell them where the abacus was.
Will: At the time, we thought maybe Rob and Sheila and us were the last two teams, and we didn't really want to race them head-to-head, so we figured we shouldn't tell them where the clue was. It's a race, you know? We had an alliance, but if it's just us two left, we're not going to let them beat us by telling them where the clue was. We love them, but we couldn't tell them when we didn't know if we were last or not. When there's no danger of elimination, you can keep up that alliance, but the rules go out when you don't know.
Gary: If we had known the Chippendales were still out there, we would've definitely told Rob and Sheila where the clue was.

A lot of fans are upset that you didn't run to the Pit Stop on the second leg.
Will: What happened was, at the bull race, Gary got hurt, and his foot was swollen. I told him to get medical attention, but he was so afraid to ask for medical attention because he thought it would get us thrown out of the Race, so he couldn't run. We couldn't run through the market area.
Gary: We didn't want to give medical any chance to hold us back. I kept my foot on ice at the hotel. I slept with my shoe on, so it wouldn't swell up. We're bikers, so we had this thing called biofreeze, which I kept on my foot so I wouldn't feel anything. We're not making excuses, but it did hurt quite a bit.

Did that affect you the next two legs?
Gary: A little bit. It was better because we had a longer Pit Stop.

Amazing Race's Rob and Sheila: We got screwed over

As super-fans, how disappointing is it to go out early?
Gary: We wanted to win for ourselves, but we really wanted to win for all the people who love the show. It was the ultimate experience of my life. The Race is so much harder in person than it is on TV. The hardest part is going from Point A to Point B. You don't understand all that's involved in going from one place to another.
Will: We are extremely proud that we treated all the locals well. We stuck to their cultures, we stuck to their lifestyle. It's not their responsibility to speak English; it's our responsibility to communicate with them as best we can, whether with signs or in their language, because we're in their country. We were very generous with our money too.
Gary: Yeah, the average wage in Bangladesh is like $600 a year. The money we gave them might have helped them out for a month, I don't know. The people in Indonesia and Bangladesh had smiles on their faces and were laughing. They were making the best of a really horrible economic situation. Even though we couldn't speak their language, there is a universal language of smiling and nodding your head and giving thumbs up.
Will: Yeah, and I mean, the taxicab drivers aren't racing for $1 million dollars. I think people forget that. Our pedicab driver in Indonesia was an older gentleman and we just kept handing him money and hopefully that made up for all the hard work he did for us.

You pre-paid him before he dropped you off at the Pit Stop.
Gary: Yeah, as we were racing the girls, I just kept reaching in and giving him more money, I guess, as an incentive to go faster and as a way to thank him for busting his butt to get us to the Pit Stop. He really busted his butt for us and that finish was even closer than how it appeared.

What are you up to now?
Will: We're still depressed that we're no longer on the show! [Laughs]
Gary: At the school I'm teaching at now, the kids really got behind the show. We had Amazing Race Friday before the premiere. Every week, we talk about it. I'm really happy I'm in this profession where we can talk about it and they can learn about the world

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Gary-Will-1054950.aspx
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
Thanks for the interviews!!  :tup:

I guess that makes me like them slightly more, but I never felt I could relate to them tbh.
Maybe I am not big enough a fan or not long enough..  :lol:

Anyway I think they came as far as they deserved to be, maybe even one round too many by getting lucky last leg..
They didn't seem rounded enough to me and already had problems coping with stress.
Can't say I'll miss them much. If TAR brings on more teams of fans of the show, which is fine, I hope they are more physically fit and more psychologically flexible.. Then I would say: great!  ;)
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline bc922

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
Thank you for these, bc922!!

No problem, peach!!  And, here's another:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/amazing-race-gary-will-elimination-381746

'Amazing Race': Gary and Will Explain Their Constant Bickering, Discuss 'Shocking' Elimination
4:43 PM PDT 10/22/2012 by Kimberly Nordyke

The best friends -- who describe themselves as an "old married couple" -- talk to THR about what went wrong in Sunday night's episode and whether they'd do it all again.

Gary Wojnar and Will Chiola's luck on The Amazing Race finally ran out in the fourth leg.

The team -- which, as Gary noted, had just come off the "greatest comeback ever" in the previous leg of the race after being U-turned -- were eliminated in Sunday night's episode.

After flying to Dhaka, Bangladesh, the best friends and substitute teachers from Michigan got delayed after their taxi driver took them way out of the way -- to a landfill. Gary, 52, and Will, 53, also were forced to backtrack when another taxi driver took them past the place where they were supposed to catch a riverboat to the pit stop where host Phil Keoghan was waiting for the teams.

During the challenge, Gary also struggled at the roadblock challenge requiring a team member to repair the side of a bus with putty and sandpaper. Also during the leg, the teams were forced to choose between pounding a metal stake into place or pounding clumps of cotton and sewing it into a mattress.

On Monday, the self-described "superfans" -- who were seen constantly bickering on the show -- talked with The Hollywood Reporter about their elimination, their friendship and whether they'd go back and do it all again.

The Hollywood Reporter: At what point did you know you were in last place?
Gary Wojnar: It was a race between us and Trey and Lexi at the end in the taxis. We did pass them up, but I didn't see them pass us. We did believe we were in front of them.

Will Chiola: We weren't sure. You never know if another team is ahead of you until you see the mat.

Gary: We were down, but we didn't give up. I watch the show all the time, and I know that anything can happen. We just had hope that some other team made some mistakes.

THR: You definitely had some close finishes before your elimination, but it seemed like your luck just ran out.
Will: The first three episodes, someone was always behind us.

Gary: The taxicab driver took a shortcut through the backroads of Bangladesh, and it was actually very beautiful, but it took us way out of the way. He was really confident because of his experience.

Will: He did the best he could.

Gary: And I didn't do [the repair] as quickly as I should have on the bus. But I thought we were going to pull it off again, even though we were last in the roadblock.

Will: You never know who is in front of or beyond you.

Gary: We said we would never, ever give up, and we never did.

Will: There were so many people [in Bangladesh] that we couldn't see sometimes, but we kept going until we reached the pit stop.

Gary: Dhaka is a mass of humanity. The poverty is so intense there, and the people didn't understand any other language, but they were smiling and laughing and giving us the thumbs-up. The people there were really friendly, and they tried to help us as much as possible. For instance, in the cab ride, the driver held up a cigarette to ask if he could smoke while he was driving. He thought enough of us to ask that; there are no-smoking laws in cabs there.

Will: They are not competing for $1 million; they're just trying to make a living, and we appreciated them helping us out. It's not their job to learn our language.

Gary: We wanted people to have a good opinion of how we treated them.

THR: How would you describe your experience on the show?
Gary: We had a hell of a lot of fun.

Will: It changed my life.

Gary: I would go back in a nanosecond.

THR: You seemed to bicker a lot on the show. Is that how your relationship normally is?
Gary: We've known each other for over 30 years, and that's how we talk to each other. Sometimes people are taken aback, but that's how we talk and how we understand each other.

Will: We're immune to each other's differences.

Gary: If you ever see an old married couple yelling at each other all the time, that's us. We love each other, really.

Will: We were together 24/7 on The Race, but we actually got along better on The Race than in real life.

THR: How did you two meet?
Gary: In college.

THR: Were there any arguments after your elimination?
Gary: We discussed it completely: "Well, we should have done this or that." We just remembered all the great things that happened, the highlights they don't show on TV. We would never travel to Dhaku in the first place; there's not much of a tourism industry there.

THR: Did you know that Rob and Kelley were the ones responsible for U-turning you before you saw it on TV?
Will: We were pretty sure it was Rob and Kelley, but we don't blame them. We did the same them to them [but the team was already ahead, so the U-turn was rendered moot]. You have to look out for yourself.

Gary: We would have done the same thing.

Will: We did the same thing. It's part of the game. It's what you gotta do.

Gary: This opportunity to be an Amazing Race champion, it's something that only 22 teams get to do a year. It's the Olympics of reality TV.

THR: How hard was it to be the fourth team eliminated?
Will: It's hard to grasp the fact that we're no longer on the show. It's still shocking to me.

Gary: I felt like I was punched in the stomach and all the air went out. I'm not complaining or whining. It was a race for myself and also a race for those who will never have the chance. It was a great experience.

THR: So you would do it again without hesitation?
Gary: Maybe you can start a campaign for us.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 08:34:10 AM »
MSN:

'Amazing Race' Exit Interview: Gary and Will
Substitute-teaching superfans lose but leave with an epic story
By Diane Vadino Mon 1:37 PM

Superfans Will Chiola and Gary Wojnar (who, we're going to say, look a good 10 years younger than their ages of 53 and 52, respectively) finally exited "The Amazing Race" last night, after a series of near-misses. We talked to them about how they took the loss, the best possible preparation for the show, and how they managed to get on—after "seven or eight" rejections.

MSN TV: How are you guys feeling today:

Will: A little bit depressed. Just looking at the episode, you wish you could go back and do different things—and of course, you can't. 

Gary: It was like "The Twilight Zone." It hurt just as much the second time. It was just kind of hard to accept—we wanted on for so long, for so many years, and we finally got the opportunity. 

Will: We feel like we let our fans down.

So how many times did you actually apply to the show?

Gary: It was about seven or eight times—we started in season six. We just kept applying together, even though they say you can't. Will said, "Let's apply again—what can they do, say no?"

What made the difference this time?

Gary: This time, we had a very good idea. We went to worldraceproductions.com—we wanted to find the magic button that had all the inside info on getting on the show. I went to an [Internet] registration site to see who registered it, thinking maybe we'd send them an email. But it turned out that no one had bought it—it was for sale. So I bought it for $10 dollars. We printed the name on a big banner, and we showed it in our video—we said on camera, "We're tired of applying year after year . And that's right—we bought your domain name." And we told them we'd make it into an adult dating site. A week or two later, we got the call.

That's amazing.

Gary: One of the casting directors said, "We're not sure whether to be afraid of you." But we were just kidding—we wouldn't have made it in an adult dating site

Will: I think it did show that Gary and I can think outside the box.

Being super-fans, you obviously thought a lot about how to prepare for the show. What weren't you ready for?

Will: We didn't know how hard it was going to be to communicate with the locals. We didn't want to get mad at them for not taking us from point A to B but to point C. We gave them a little bit of extra money when we could.

Gary: Watching it on TV, or reading about it on the Internet—it does't prepare you. The poverty was so oppressive. But what I didn't think would be possible was that people in Indonesia and Bangladesh, they always had a smile on their face. There's a universal language of a smile or a thumb's up. They did so much to help us.

Will: We know that the cab drivers aren't competing for a million dollars.

Gary: For instance, in Dhaka, when we went to the first roadblock, the cab driver kept going "Shortcut! Shortcut!" It ended up not being a shortcut—we were out in the agricultural areas. The city is so congested and so large we were almost an hour behind the other teams at the Roadblock, and couldn't catch up. 

What didn't you prepare for that you wish you had?

Gary: Will's run numerous marathons, and he put me thorough a workout six days a week. However, on a stationery bike for two hours in gym is nothing like being there, in 100-degree heat. My advice would be to get a backpack, put 50 pounds in it, and run and run and run.

At that final Pitstop, were you shocked when it wasn't a non-elimination leg?

Will: We actually thought he said "non elimination."

Gary: We were crushed—we were shocked. It was hard to explain the feeling we had. It's like someone punches you in the stomach.

But the race was still a good experience overall?

Gary: We cannot say how grateful we are. We did things we would never do in our regular life; we would never get to the meat and bones of Dhaka. I enjoyed every minute of it.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/reality-tv-blog.aspx?feat=0935d748-0e4d-4452-b75a-17418a20a44a&blog=2080
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
MSN:

'Amazing Race' Exit Interview: Gary and Will
Substitute-teaching superfans lose but leave with an epic story
By Diane Vadino Mon 1:37 PM

Superfans Will Chiola and Gary Wojnar (who, we're going to say, look a good 10 years younger than their ages of 53 and 52, respectively) finally exited "The Amazing Race" last night, after a series of near-misses. We talked to them about how they took the loss, the best possible preparation for the show, and how they managed to get on—after "seven or eight" rejections.

MSN TV: How are you guys feeling today:

Will: A little bit depressed. Just looking at the episode, you wish you could go back and do different things—and of course, you can't. 

Gary: It was like "The Twilight Zone." It hurt just as much the second time. It was just kind of hard to accept—we wanted on for so long, for so many years, and we finally got the opportunity. 

Will: We feel like we let our fans down.

So how many times did you actually apply to the show?

Gary: It was about seven or eight times—we started in season six. We just kept applying together, even though they say you can't. Will said, "Let's apply again—what can they do, say no?"

What made the difference this time?

Gary: This time, we had a very good idea. We went to worldraceproductions.com—we wanted to find the magic button that had all the inside info on getting on the show. I went to an [Internet] registration site to see who registered it, thinking maybe we'd send them an email. But it turned out that no one had bought it—it was for sale. So I bought it for $10 dollars. We printed the name on a big banner, and we showed it in our video—we said on camera, "We're tired of applying year after year . And that's right—we bought your domain name." And we told them we'd make it into an adult dating site. A week or two later, we got the call.

That's amazing.

Gary: One of the casting directors said, "We're not sure whether to be afraid of you." But we were just kidding—we wouldn't have made it in an adult dating site

Will: I think it did show that Gary and I can think outside the box.

Being super-fans, you obviously thought a lot about how to prepare for the show. What weren't you ready for?

Will: We didn't know how hard it was going to be to communicate with the locals. We didn't want to get mad at them for not taking us from point A to B but to point C. We gave them a little bit of extra money when we could.

Gary: Watching it on TV, or reading about it on the Internet—it does't prepare you. The poverty was so oppressive. But what I didn't think would be possible was that people in Indonesia and Bangladesh, they always had a smile on their face. There's a universal language of a smile or a thumb's up. They did so much to help us.

Will: We know that the cab drivers aren't competing for a million dollars.

Gary: For instance, in Dhaka, when we went to the first roadblock, the cab driver kept going "Shortcut! Shortcut!" It ended up not being a shortcut—we were out in the agricultural areas. The city is so congested and so large we were almost an hour behind the other teams at the Roadblock, and couldn't catch up. 

What didn't you prepare for that you wish you had?

Gary: Will's run numerous marathons, and he put me thorough a workout six days a week. However, on a stationery bike for two hours in gym is nothing like being there, in 100-degree heat. My advice would be to get a backpack, put 50 pounds in it, and run and run and run.

At that final Pitstop, were you shocked when it wasn't a non-elimination leg?

Will: We actually thought he said "non elimination."

Gary: We were crushed—we were shocked. It was hard to explain the feeling we had. It's like someone punches you in the stomach.

But the race was still a good experience overall?

Gary: We cannot say how grateful we are. We did things we would never do in our regular life; we would never get to the meat and bones of Dhaka. I enjoyed every minute of it.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/reality-tv-blog.aspx?feat=0935d748-0e4d-4452-b75a-17418a20a44a&blog=2080

Anybody has 15 bucks - these guys should gain some profits - to buy them the domain and then apply for TAR in the same conditions they did?  :lol3:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
Very clever move!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »
At least that captured the attention. Omg, funny!! :lol: