The Amazing Race > The Racers

TAR 21: Josh Kilmer-Purcell & Brent Ridge "Goat Farmers/Life Partners"

<< < (17/21) > >>

Jobby:

--- Quote from: georgiapeach on December 11, 2012, 02:03:50 PM ---Having had the privilege of meeting them, I can say without a doubt that these men are wonderful, caring people and will be outstanding representatives for TAR!!

Have you all read THIS?? Do NOT miss it!!

The care and thoughtfulness they show is evident in all they do. Love the Beekman's!

--- End quote ---

Thanks for sharing peachies, that was awesome and sweet to read. Awwww!

georgiapeach:
Josh and Brent on THE TALK: (way too short imo)

http://www.youtube.com/v/e9PcJ27lutU

lovetherace:

--- Quote from: ianthebalance on December 11, 2012, 11:42:57 PM ---Does anyone else find it ironic that out of the final 3 teams, they had the highest placement on leg 1 :cmaslol.

--- End quote ---

Weren't they the first of all the teams to reach the ground rappelling from the bridge in the very first task?

I think them falling behind due to the missed flight, plus their overall lesser physical skills and calmer demeanor, skewed perceptions many people had of how competent they were.  It also gave TPTB an opportunity to hammer the "underdog theme" - if they hadn't had that problem, maybe they would've had another theme.  For one thing, they were the oldest team left in the F5.

What they've said in interviews is true - for the first few legs (2-4) they were right in the middle of the pack; in Bangaldesh, they finished 4th, just behind the twins, and several places ahead of both the Chips and Trexie (who they helped out with a tip about the boat). 

Have to admit I was one who also wasn't paying much attention to them, partly because teams that far behind usually don't last, but also because the twins (annoying) and Chips (engaging) had very dominant personalities, and early on there seemed to be more focus on other teams who were either in the front (winning) or the back (leaving) of the pack.

What made me take notice was the lock task in Russia.  I suspected Brent would do well on the time zone task, but Josh took me by surprise by his analytical skill and efficiency in solving the lock puzzle, and we saw more of those abilities in the final legs. (I was also impressed by Trey, who also finished the lock task quickly, and by James, in the hello/goodbye task - overall this was a smart final group of racers).

From what they say, the B's had made up a lot of time when they finally joined the other teams bunching at the ferry. Then they beat the twins at the windmill; they beat the twins at the dog food task; everyone got to the dog statue faster because Josh knew French; Brent got out of the straight jacket on par with everyone else; and of course Josh finished first at the final task.

They did shoot themselves in the foot a couple of times (the ice cream speed bump, pizza delivery); what's funny is they had reviewed past shows to see what things contributed to a final win, knew that teams often defeated themselves by those kind of mistakes, and were trying to avoid them.

They also said (like Kisha and Jen) they weren't too focused on winning individual legs; they knew they couldn't match the other teams on physical ability, and didn't want to be physically or emotionally exhausted by the time they faced the final tasks.

Maybe this approach wasn't as interesting to people as teams constantly fighting for first throughout the race, but I liked them, and thought the last two legs, with any one of three good teams able to win it all, were some of the best in a long time.

I also thought the post by Josh on their Beekman blog was very classy.

Jobby:
Can we award a best post award to the post above? :cmaslol

That was a very logical and level-headed reasoning to giving credit to the Beekmen's win.

lovetherace:

Why thank you, very nice of you to say.   :xmas49

Speaking of the Beekmans being the oldest among the F5 (Josh 43, Brent 38), did anyone else notice there were four teams even older than they were (Rob and Sheila, Gary and Will, Rob and Kelley, and James and Abba)?

I wonder what the casting philosophy was for this season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version