Author Topic: TARAus2 Episode 11 (China) Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 18019 times)

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
TARAus2 Episode 11 (China) Discussion *SPOILERS*
« on: July 24, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »
EP11: Canada to Beijing, China
EVIDENCE: Here

Film Date: DEC 10/11? 
Air Date: 14th August

Leg Route/Tasks:
ROUTE INFO: Fly to Beijing, China

ROUTE INFO: Make your way to Guijie Street (Chinese Name:簋街)

DETOUR: Eat Chinese delicacies (Wheel of Fortune) OR ?
EVIDENCE: Promos

ROADBLOCK?: Chinese massages

ROUTE INFO?: Great Wall of China

PITSTOP?: Forbidden City
EVIDENCE: TV Guide

Safe from Elimination at End of Leg: Unknown
Possibly Eliminated: Shane & Andy, Paul & Steve, Grace & Joseph, Joanne & Michelle
Already Eliminated: Adam & Dane, Sam & Geoff, Sue & Theresa, James & Sarah,  Ross & Tarryn, Kym & Donna, Lucy & Emilia
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:47:42 AM by BayBay »

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARAus2 Episode 11 (China) Discussion *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »
More to come!

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »
For Peach!  :luvya:

Offline ovalorange

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »
Episode description from the TV guide:

The remaining teams battle to make the top three in Beijing, China. The racers are in for a shock when they receive a massage, and on the way to the Great Wall, one team makes a mistake that could prove costly. Then, at the Forbidden City, teams will find out who's made it through to the final leg.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:23:43 AM »
Episode description from the TV guide:

The remaining teams battle to make the top three in Beijing, China. The racers are in for a shock when they receive a massage, and on the way to the Great Wall, one team makes a mistake that could prove costly. Then, at the Forbidden City, teams will find out who's made it through to the final leg.

The foot massage thing from  Season 14?

What I was thinking.

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 06:13:22 AM »
Out of the final 3 episodes this week, the TV critics here is Aus are deeming this episode to be the best  :o Can't wait to see what they have in stall!  :conf:

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 07:32:21 AM »
Out of the final 3 episodes this week, the TV critics here is Aus are deeming this episode to be the best  :o Can't wait to see what they have in stall!  :conf:

What did they think of the other two?
Bring on the 21!

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 08:03:14 AM »

What did they think of the other two?

I'm not sure if you've seen the Aussie TV Guide before, but usually the best episodes of TV during the week get highlighted and a special comment. If not then the show is just listed, which means it's not outstanding but it's not terrible, which is also a good thing :lol:

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »
That doesn't necessarily mean it's the best though (in fact from what I've seen and heard, the China episode is the worst of the three). There are a bunch of HUGE shows tonight - Big Brother relaunch (in the same timeslot), Underbelly premiere, Closing Ceremony - plus the smaller mainstays like Masterchef and Q&A, and they only have room to discuss one or two shows each night. I do think it's a bad omen the finale isn't being discussed instead though.

Offline 123blueandwhite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 01:22:59 AM »
Seems like this leg will be a repeat of TAR 14? Lots of similarities!

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
The return of the crap taxi drivers (incompetant or corrupt).  This is really the reason this show (probably in any version) will be a near classic but never an absolute classic. :(  A damn shame as all they have to do is either have them self-driving, using public transport (this should be done FAR more) or have taxis which have been passed as knowing where to go.  Seeing anyone eliminated just because of bad taxis can just ruin the natural suspense of the show, and always leaves a sour taste to me.  And the whole begging thing normally stems from the cancer of the taxis as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:09:43 AM by starrynight »

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:25:13 AM »
The return of the crap taxi drivers (incompetant or corrupt).  This is really the reason this show (probably in any version) will be a near classic but never an absolute classic. :(  A damn shame as all they have to do is either have them self-driving, using public transport (this should be done FAR more) or have taxis which have been passed as knowing where to go.  Seeing anyone eliminated just because of bad taxis can just ruin the natural suspense of the show, and always leaves a sour taste to me.  And the whole begging thing normally stems from the cancer of the taxis as well.

Well teams don't have to take taxis most of the time if they don't want to. They have the option of public transport since the clues usually say 'make your way to...' and they rarely explicitly state a mode of transportation, although they sometimes do. :tup: But I also wouldn't mind having more clues explicitly requiring teams to take public transport. :)
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 10:33:30 AM »
Well clues could always stipulate public transport. As I said though a lottery of choosing any taxi driver (instead of having a choice of good ones) makes some of the exits pretty silly.  It's like providing them with cars with some of them basically being undriveable.  Also in a race people will obviously pick whichever way will be potentially quickest and that forces them to take a chance with potentially useless taxis.  I think they should always have a proper map anyway, with landmarks given on it so they can actually work out some things for themselves.

And isn't it ridiculous getting penalised twice, first the taxi driver going to the wrong place AND taking the money as well?  What are racers supposed to do, physically retrieve their money off the taxi driver?  I think the cameraman should at least reimburse them the money,otherwise it's doubly stupid.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:53:16 AM by starrynight »

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:58:35 AM »
I get where you are coming from :tup: - I don't like seeing them have to beg for money either and it's something I probably wouldn't be able to do on the race personally :( - but if they had unlimited funds at their disposal, then it takes away the money management aspect of the race (plus we wouldn't get scenes like the one of James & Sarah fighting over Coke bottles :lol:).
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
Yeh I don't mind some money management, but not if it just involves getting ripped off by taxis.

Offline NorCalRacer

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:39 AM »
Seriously, this leg is okay for me cuz one of the scenes entertains me.
I replay the DisGrace-Saw-the-starfish-Screaming Scene 20 times
and laugh so badly! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
That must be one of collection in the race!

Offline 123blueandwhite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 03:17:33 AM »
I don't think they were necessarily ripped off, they just took a more expensive mode of transportation at the start of the leg. Didn't Paul & Steve realize that and jumped off right away?

Offline ovalorange

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 03:24:19 AM »
Well clues could always stipulate public transport. As I said though a lottery of choosing any taxi driver (instead of having a choice of good ones) makes some of the exits pretty silly.  It's like providing them with cars with some of them basically being undriveable.  Also in a race people will obviously pick whichever way will be potentially quickest and that forces them to take a chance with potentially useless taxis.  I think they should always have a proper map anyway, with landmarks given on it so they can actually work out some things for themselves.

And isn't it ridiculous getting penalised twice, first the taxi driver going to the wrong place AND taking the money as well?  What are racers supposed to do, physically retrieve their money off the taxi driver?  I think the cameraman should at least reimburse them the money,otherwise it's doubly stupid.

Yeh I don't mind some money management, but not if it just involves getting ripped off by taxis.

I honestly think that the biggest issue was that production was extremely tight on the money given to racers this time around and NOT the taxis. Think about it... Sticky and Sam ran out of money leg 1, Adam and Dane leg 2, Kym and Donna in leg 4, Sarah and James leg 9 and Joseph and Grace in legs 9 & 11. I think teams probably should have been given more money in general this season, teams ran out of cash way too much.

Offline 123blueandwhite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 03:37:18 AM »

I honestly think that the biggest issue was that production was extremely tight on the money given to racers this time around and NOT the taxis. Think about it... Sticky and Sam ran out of money leg 1, Adam and Dane leg 2, Kym and Donna in leg 4, Sarah and James leg 9 and Joseph and Grace in legs 9 & 11. I think teams probably should have been given more money in general this season, teams ran out of cash way too much.

I think Sticky & Sam ended up missing the decimal in the metre?

Teams with the best money management made it to the end this time around.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 06:07:02 AM »

I got the impression that production gave the racers each leg the minimum of money they would need, providing they got the best and cheapest taxis (unlikely!). Production didn't really give them any leeway for errors, so any teams who miscalculated ended up having problems.
What is really amazing is how Shane and Andrew with all their bad luck with taxis didn't run out of money!

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 10:31:21 AM »
I guess Andrew and Shane went to the wrong places but it turned out not to be too far away anyway and it was at times they could recover and because of that they survived.  I don't think taxis are a satisfactory way for someone to get eliminated.  Sticky and Sam and Kym and Donna got eliminated on bad self-navigation, I think that is a far more natural way to go out.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 04:51:36 PM »
I don't think they were necessarily ripped off, they just took a more expensive mode of transportation at the start of the leg. Didn't Paul & Steve realize that and jumped off right away?

This^^

I mean, it was a huge mistake for Groseph to take a van since those are usually shared taxis, that's why they ended up paying 600 instead of the 70 everyone else did.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »
I don't think they were eliminated because of the van.  The two other taxis later destroyed their chances, particularly the one that took them to a hotel and took their remaining money so they had to walk for hours to get to the next task.

Offline 123blueandwhite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
I don't think they were eliminated because of the van.  The two other taxis later destroyed their chances, particularly the one that took them to a hotel and took their remaining money so they had to walk for hours to get to the next task.

But since the van ate up such a huge chunk of their money, they couldn't have taken another taxi if they wanted to from the hotel. The van was probably what led to their eventual downfall.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 02:01:03 AM »
Does anyone with knowledge of China know just how far off Joseph and Grace wandered on that final leg? That has to be as lost as a team has ever gotten in the history of the TAR franchise. They wandered into another country, I really don't know how you do that.