Author Topic: TARaus 2 Episode 9 SHOW Updates and Discussion  (Read 25562 times)

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TARaus 2 Episode 9 SHOW Updates and Discussion
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 01:40:56 PM »
A 3 week wait certainly bothers me, and I'm sure it will bother most of the audience, I'd expect the ratings to go down.  I haven't been that keen on the Olympics for quite a few years, but The Amazing Race is really a completely different thing anyway.  And it wouldn't surprise me if at least a few other shows are continuing anyway, it's just that The Amazing Race isn't given great priority.  That seems to happen in America too with competitive reality shows.

The return of begging as a big feature of the race isn't something I'm that keen on.  Here it isn't through a penalty but simply because the money they are given seems very tight.

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »
Money tight or taxi extortion.

Offline NorCalRacer

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
Since DisGrace and Hunners Teams got their money issue, I wonder if taking taxi in Vancouver is an expensive thing?

Offline 123blueandwhite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »
Since DisGrace and Hunners Teams got their money issue, I wonder if taking taxi in Vancouver is an expensive thing?

It is. Plus they also stayed at a hotel which was probably took a chunk of what they already had.

Offline Saravannan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »

Vancouver is quite an expensive city to do anything in and taxis in Canada are pretty expensive in general. You can get charged nearly a dollar at a red light if you're unlucky

Offline Telepek

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
Ok, i really have to write something about this.

In my opinion this leg was basically the best leg ever in the last 5 years of TAR history [and i am talking about every season in every country]. Everything was basically perfect: a perfect, very beautifoul location [Americans - seriously, 21 seasons of TAR and Canada had been visited only once? Are you kidding? I mean if whole Canada is that gorgeous they have legs for 10 seasons?! Considering what the route in 21 season will be i really prefered this season take place in Canada only. it's just gorgeous.], and perfect tasks [not so easy, but also not very hard, beautifuly showing us what Canada has to offer. The fast forward was really big step forward in the TAR history - i do not recall in other seasons that brave tasks, and i won't deny that i want more...  :lol:

I really want Paul and Steve to go. They are good racers but i just can't stand their "In your face" behaviour. It's great that all the teams will "Team Up" against them, and i am hoping that they won't reach the final 3. And with Paul&Steve Lucy&Emilia cal also go. I really liked them at the beginning but now in my opinion this teams is just forced there to try and make the viewers emotional in a very "Booper&Mark" way and i really hate that.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »
Actually, that naked task has been used in second season of TAR Israel, Telepek :tup:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:26:58 PM by Theodorus »
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline balfour

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 01:35:53 AM »
Americans - seriously, 21 seasons of TAR and Canada had been visited only once? Are you kidding? I mean if whole Canada is that gorgeous they have legs for 10 seasons?!

Twice, actually. TAR5 visited Alberta (Banff & Calgary). TAR8 visited Montreal, Toronto & Niagara Falls (For a long final leg, racers slept in the Stade Olympique waiting for a chartered flight) .

But I agree with you. It's shocking that there hasn't been a pitstop in Canada until TARaus. I think the producers of TAR skip Canada because they want a significant cultural change for the racers on the first leg. And then Canada isn't even really considered when returning back to the US to wrap up the race.

I'd like to see more of our neighbors to the north on TAR.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 06:11:08 AM »
I just realized something.

The top 6 is the opisite of the bottom 6 of last season

The couple that fights - Chris & Anastasia / James & Sarah
The Sisters - Alana & Mel / Michelle & Jo
The clueless yet funny M/M - Mo & Mos / Shane & Andrew
The over competative team no one likes - Richard & Joey / Paul & Steve
The lovely and very funny F/F - Anne-Marie & Tracy / Lucy & Emilia
The brother sister - Ryot & Liberty / Joseph & Grace

So my probaily worng theory is that Joseph & Grace will win, Lucy & Emilia will come 2nd, Paul & Steve will come third, Shane & Andrew will come 4th ,Michelle & Jo come 5th

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 09:34:17 AM »
In my opinion this leg was basically the best leg ever in the last 5 years of TAR history [and i am talking about every season in every country]. Everything was basically perfect: a perfect, very beautifoul location [Americans - seriously, 21 seasons of TAR and Canada had been visited only once? Are you kidding? I mean if whole Canada is that gorgeous they have legs for 10 seasons?! Considering what the route in 21 season will be i really prefered this season take place in Canada only. it's just gorgeous.], and perfect tasks [not so easy, but also not very hard, beautifuly showing us what Canada has to offer. The fast forward was really big step forward in the TAR history - i do not recall in other seasons that brave tasks, and i won't deny that i want more...

I think for it to be that great a leg it needed some self-driving, that brings more natural drama than bad taxi drivers and begging.  And the FF would probably never be done in America (where you can't even show a small part of someone's ass lol), but obviously not all cultures would shirk from putting a task like that in the race.

Offline AR FAN

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
One think which jarred me in the begininng was hearing the locals speak English with American accents (I'm American and yes I know they were actually in Canada so technically it was a Canadian accent). It was further reinforced when one of the Cops (I think) told a local nice accent. I thought what accent?
    I know the Amazing Race France just recently visited the U.S. (The first ever foreign version to visit the U.S. !!!! Thanks Lafayette !) So I'll be extremely interested in seeing how the Racers fare here.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »
I just realized something.

The top 6 is the opisite of the bottom 6 of last season

The couple that fights - Chris & Anastasia / James & Sarah
The Sisters - Alana & Mel / Michelle & Jo
The clueless yet funny M/M - Mo & Mos / Shane & Andrew
The over competative team no one likes - Richard & Joey / Paul & Steve
The lovely and very funny F/F - Anne-Marie & Tracy / Lucy & Emilia
The brother sister - Ryot & Liberty / Joseph & Grace

So my probaily worng theory is that Joseph & Grace will win, Lucy & Emilia will come 2nd, Paul & Steve will come third, Shane & Andrew will come 4th ,Michelle & Jo come 5th

I prefer to see like this :

6th - Chris and Anastasia/James and Sarah --> Bickering couple
5th - Dave and Kelly/Lucy and Emilia --> Loved teams
4th - Matt and Tom/Shane and Andrew --> Sometimes they're pretty dumb and clueless.
3rd - Joseph and Grace/Jeff and Luke --> Family bounds
2nd - Michelle and Jo/Sam and Renae --> Girl POWER!
1st - Paul and Steve/Nathan and Tyler --> DOMINATION!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »
One think which jarred me in the begininng was hearing the locals speak English with American accents (I'm American and yes I know they were actually in Canada so technically it was a Canadian accent). It was further reinforced when one of the Cops (I think) told a local nice accent. I thought what accent?
    I know the Amazing Race France just recently visited the U.S. (The first ever foreign version to visit the U.S. !!!! Thanks Lafayette !) So I'll be extremely interested in seeing how the Racers fare here.

The only part of Canada which has French as the primary language is Quebec. Every other province is English-speaking. Canadian are known for their humorous use of the word "eh" like Doug and Bob McKenzie from Second City Television decades ago

Offline balfour

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »

That was said to the Pit Stop greeter by Steve i think  ???. That greeter was attractive so I think he was trying to chat her up  :lol:

Anyway...  Canadian and American accents probably sound different enough to Aussies.

Offline 123blueandwhite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
I think it's more of a North American accent in general.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
To me, the accent of the Pit Stop greeter was very noticeable. Maybe people from the US don't notice it that much, but it is different.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline 123blueandwhite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 11:21:52 PM »
To me, the accent of the Pit Stop greeter was very noticeable. Maybe people from the US don't notice it that much, but it is different.
I think some Americans expect Canadians to have a slightly different accent. I, myself have never been questioned but i've had friends and relatives leave the country and the Americans have remarked that they are surprised that they don't have an accent.

I felt the greeter spoke in a more pronounced manner, but honestly most Americans and Canadians speak with generally the same accent.

Edit: Not sure if I made it clear, but I am from Vancouver!

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 12:10:53 AM »
I always figured the people most likely to notice the difference between a Canadian accent and American accent would be the people who actually live here.  :duno:

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »
Australian and New Zealand accents are supposed to be slightly different as well but I'm sure can sound the same to those not used to hearing both of them.

Offline AR FAN

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »
I think some Americans expect Canadians to have a slightly different accent. I, myself have never been questioned but i've had friends and relatives leave the country and the Americans have remarked that they are surprised that they don't have an accent.

I felt the greeter spoke in a more pronounced manner, but honestly most Americans and Canadians speak with generally the same accent.

Edit: Not sure if I made it clear, but I am from Vancouver!

Hello  123blueandwhite I've actually been to your city and Victoria when I was active duty military, we did training excercises with your Navy. I'll be honest I was really surprised how much fun Canada was and how there were so many beautiful Canadian women. I never noticed a difference between the way Americans and Canadians spoke English.
  I also recently worked with the Australian Navy closely and they were basically what I expected, really nice people who were fun to be with. There were also quite a few Canadians on board and I often mistook them for Americans when we were in civilian clothes.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:28:51 PM by AR FAN »

Offline AR FAN

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
Australian and New Zealand accents are supposed to be slightly different as well but I'm sure can sound the same to those not used to hearing both of them.
I once met a New Zealander, female, in Europe and after hearing her speak I said "Hey an Aussie!". She then, in a very humorous way, not mean at all, let me know she was a New Zealander and "Not an Aussie!". I still smile when I remember that.  :)

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 12:58:55 PM »
I've had exactly the same experience as you, I guess New Zealanders are used to it.

Offline AR FAN

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »
I've had exactly the same experience as you, I guess New Zealanders are used to it.

I AM NOT CANADIAN!!!!   :tantrum

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
Honestly, I'll be pretty shocked if Paul and Steve wins. (I always believe in negative edit = non winner) Lucy and Emilia looked like their luck will run out next leg.. or the next.. I don't think they have what it takes to make the F3... :'(

The only two teams I see if chances of winning are Michelle and Jo and Joseph and Grace. Just a gut feeeeeeling.

Offline 123blueandwhite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
Honestly, I'll be pretty shocked if Paul and Steve wins. (I always believe in negative edit = non winner) Lucy and Emilia looked like their luck will run out next leg.. or the next.. I don't think they have what it takes to make the F3... :'(

The only two teams I see if chances of winning are Michelle and Jo and Joseph and Grace. Just a gut feeeeeeling.
Joseph and Grace don't have a good edit either. My guess is Michelle and & Jo.