Author Topic: TAR 21 Scheduling-Airing Times-Delays  (Read 51717 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 21 Scheduling-Airing Times-Delays
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:07:01 PM »
From CBS:

Sunday, Sept. 30
8:00-9:00 PM    THE AMAZING RACE (21st edition premiere)

:conf: :conf: :conf:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:16:24 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR21 Scheduling-Airing Times-Delays >>Premiere Sun Sept 30!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:00:17 AM »
Awesome! Can't wait to follow the new season here. You guys do great work with spoilers. I've been lurking for a while :lol:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:06:56 AM »
Awesome! Can't wait to follow the new season here. You guys do great work with spoilers. I've been lurking for a while :lol:

:hello2: and  :wel2 to RFF Magnus!!

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »

:hello2: and  :wel2 to RFF Magnus!!

Thanks! I like it already.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
Hopefully its not delayed since revenge premieres right after it! :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
Kandace,

The 2012 Ryder Cup match play finishes on Sept. 30. It is being held in Chicago so the sun goes down later there. It is a distinct possibility that AR21's debut may be delayed.

There is a wealth of competing TV shows that evening in addition to the Revenge premiere (which I probably will have to watch the following day). There is an NBC Sunday night football game between Philadelphia and the N.Y. Giants starting at 830pm.   

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
All I can say is yeah, 48 days to go.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »
Kandace,

The 2012 Ryder Cup match play finishes on Sept. 30. It is being held in Chicago so the sun goes down later there. It is a distinct possibility that AR21's debut may be delayed.

There is a wealth of competing TV shows that evening in addition to the Revenge premiere (which I probably will have to watch the following day). There is an NBC Sunday night football game between Philadelphia and the N.Y. Giants starting at 830pm.

Golf is not a sport that it carries on later than its time slot. And there can't be a playoff in the Ryder Cup unlike the Presidents Cup. Unless there is a rain delay or lightning delay, the Ryder Cup will not run past its time slot. Golf only runs past its time slot when there is a playoff or a rain delay, there cant be a playoff in the Ryder Cup, so rain is the only thing that can cause it to run over its time slot.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 01:03:43 AM »
I can't recall if this has been mentioned here yet or not, but the NFL has made a second change in the broadcast rules in addition to the delay of the start time for late Sunday afternoon games. This only affect you in you are in a primary or secondary NFL market, and if your team does not sell out seats for home games 100% of all seats.

Basically as I understand it, what it does is allow the home team to aim for 80% of all seats sold but give the NFL a portion of ticket revenue if any seats are sold above that threshold. The bottom line, some TV markets may get to carry their team's home games that have not been able to, and thus on home game Sundays, that will affect which NFL games they may get on their local CBS station. (Especially if their team is in the NFC, and get a early afternoon home game; that will almost always require that market to get a late afternoon CBS game.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:09:56 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
I consider the delay in start of the second games to be the most significant change in how games are broadcast for 2012. This has been mentioned here before, but that what will happen is that kickoffs for late games will be moved back 10 minutes, from 4:15 ET to 4:25. This will most certainly mean more delays in the start of the CBS evening TV lineup from 60 Minutes on whenever CBS has the "late game."

What I am unclear about is whether this affects only the designated national game which started in 2011 at 415pm or also any other games which started in the off-weeks at 405pm.

Offline FishyFred

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »
Wow, they've effectively move the start back 20 minutes in 2 years.  And the delays were bad enough with 4:05 starts.  CBS just needs to bite the bullet and move all of their Sunday Primetime back a half hour or even an hour.  Last year, the DVR timer with a half hour padding was sometimes not enough.  I'll probably need an hour extra this year. 

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 12:56:50 AM »
Only the nationally televised double header games will start at 4:25pm Eastern Time. Late single games will start at 4:05.

CBS will have double header Sundays on Oct 7, 21, Nov 4, 18, Dec 2. Those can just about be counted as a delayed start for TAR.

The other Sundays in the season, CBS has late single games that could cause local delays in the start of TAR in the Eastern and Central time zone cities associated with those late games.
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:37:04 AM »
Dr. Rox,

How many 4:05pm start games do you know that finish before 7pm? My estimate is far less than half. Yes, the 20 minute difference in start time does make it more likely, but most late games will overrun 7pm and push the CBS Sunday evening schedule into a delay mode.

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »
Dr. Rox,

How many 4:05pm start games do you know that finish before 7pm? My estimate is far less than half. Yes, the 20 minute difference in start time does make it more likely, but most late games will overrun 7pm and push the CBS Sunday evening schedule into a delay mode.

More like ALL CBS double headers WILL delay the CBS Primetime Sunday line-up!  While some games do last under 3 hours in real time, it's actually 2:45 (7:10 start for 60 Minutes at the earliest).  Also, as is the custom for CBS double-headers, they wait until all of the games have concluded prior to the start of 60 Minutes.  So if the Pats or Ravens are done by, say 7:30, but Denver or Oakland are still in play, they'll switch to that game.

In addition, the new overtime rules are now in effect in the regular season.  So, what that means is if a team takes 9 minutes (game time) off the clock, but kicks a FG, the other team will have to match that (or beat that) for the game to end.  And if they match it, it's sudden death.  In conclusion, it could be 8:00 ET, and 60 minutes still could be in waiting.  Interesting times!
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »

CBS will have double header Sundays on Oct 7, 21, Nov 4, 18, Dec 2. Those can just about be counted as a delayed start for TAR.

I guess that statement was a little too subtle for some people. So I will rephrase it.

EVERYONE in the Eastern and Central Time zone will have a football related delay in the start of TAR on those 5 Sundays!!

If CBS has multiple late games on their double header Sundays, they will all switch to the latest ending game. This allows CBS to sync all their local markets to the same start time for 60 Minutes and the rest of the prime time schedule. A 4:25pm start time and game time of ~3 hours (optimistic estimate) gives a game ending of 7:25 pm and then few minutes wrap up. So I would assume they are planning on starting 60 Minutes at 7:35pm....a delay of 35 minutes. I personally think this is VERY optimistic projection.

As far as the 4:05 late single games, I think everyone has to analyze their own particular market. As far as my particular market, I live in an NFC town in the Central Time zone. The home team normally plays in the late games on FOX. If they are playing a visiting team from the AFC, then the game will be on CBS usually in the 4:05 time slot. When it plays a late game on FOX, the local CBS affiliate doesnt like to schedule a comepting game, so they will schedule one of the early games on CBS. When the local team goes to the east coast, they sometime have to play the early game on FOX....so that does leave the local affiliate a chance to schedule the 4:05 time slot.

I suspect that my local market will have a late CBS game on Sept 30. The local NFL team, normally on FOX, does not play that Sunday, so the local CBS affiliate will get to pick either an early game or late game that day. I suspect they will pick the Denver game, because of Manning.It odd that they never pick the other team in the state to show. I guess they dont like that team, because we never get their games. All the local network affiliates here, like to fill up that early Sunday afternoon telecast time with Infomericals.

apskip.......the 4:05 game delays WILL ONLY affect the markets where they were shown in the eastern and central time zone. These games ARE NOT nationally televised. My local CBS market rarely even schedules them, unless it involves the local NFC team playing an away game with a AFC team. In the last two years, my CBS programming has only been delayed when the local NFC team played on CBS late. The rest of the time, 60 Minutes and TAR started at the regular time. If CBS has multiple late single games, they normally switch to the game ending last so they can sync their prime time programming to the same time so they only have to produce one EAST coast feed for the eastern and central time zones, but this is not always the case. Just depends if the games are likely to end at approximately the same time.

FOX and CBS used to alternate the double header Sundays. But they seem to have reached an aggreement to allow some shifting in that arrangement. During the fall run of CBS prime time schedule, we only get 5 CBS double header Sundays. CBS has switched some Sundays with FOX. So for the 12 week run of TAR, CBS has 5 Sundays with double header games and FOX has 7. CBS gets extra double header Sundays before and after TAR has run along, with the rest of their prime time schedule. Again this switch only affects the Sunday prime time CBS schedule, but we do get less chances of football delay.

There are a lot of different rule changes this year. How that will affect the length of the game is yet to TBC...lol Also the role of the replacement referees is unknown at this time. We will just have to wait and see what happens with those aspects. 

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 02:01:16 AM »
Hopefully its not delayed since revenge premieres right after it! :lol:
You should live in Australia. Revenge and TAR are on the same network so theres no chance of clashing.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
CBS is finally acknowledging the obvious.

Starting this coming weekend, whenever CBS has the NFL doubleheader games on Sunday, the time schedule for Sunday's prime time programming will be listed as starting one half hour later for programming schedules, and CBS is adopting an enhance Eye-lert system that will notify viewers of the adjusted start times for Sunday nights.

Here's the CBS press release this morning:

CBS LAUNCHES TWO INITIATIVES TO HELP VIEWERS NAVIGATE ADJUSTED START TIMES FOR SUNDAY SERIES ON NFL DOUBLEHEADER WEEKENDS

CBS's Primetime Shows Will Be Listed to Start 30 Minutes Later Than Usual on NFL Doubleheader Dates In Eastern and Central Time Zones, With "60 Minutes" Leading the Night at 7:30 PM, ET/6:30 PM, CT

CBS's Enhanced Multi-Platform Eye-lert System

Enables Viewers to Receive Updates on Further Changes To Primetime Series Affected by Sunday Football Overruns Via SMS Texts, Twitter, Facebook Posts and/or the Previously Established Email Alerts

In an effort to further assist CBS's Sunday night viewers in navigating primetime series time changes due to NFL overruns, CBS will list the scheduled start times for its Sunday night series 30 minutes later in Eastern and Central Time zones on doubleheader weekends. The Network also unveiled a multi-platform upgrade to the CBS Eye-lert system, which informs viewers of any further adjusted start times.

In response to the history of primetime delays on doubleheader weekends and the NFL's recent announcement to move the kickoff time of the late afternoon games from 4:15 to 4:25 PM, ET, CBS will now list its lineup on NFL doubleheader Sundays as follows:

7:30 PM, ET/6:30 PM, CT -- 60 MINUTES

8:30 PM, ET/7:30 PM, CT -- BIG BROTHER 14 (through Sept. 23) THE AMAZING RACE (as of Sept. 30)

9:30 PM, ET/8:30 PM, CT -- THE GOOD WIFE

10:30 PM, ET/9:30 PM, CT -- THE MENTALIST

The NFL on CBS's 2012 doubleheader Sundays are: Sept. 16 and 23; Oct. 7 and 21; Nov. 4 and 18; and Dec. 2, 16 and 30. The start times for Sunday primetime series in Mountain and Pacific Time zones will remain as previously scheduled on those dates.

Additionally, CBS has upgraded its Eye-lert system, which originally debuted in 2007 as a means of informing viewers of the delayed start times of CBS's Sunday night programs affected by football overruns.

Fans can now go to www.cbs.com/eye-lerts to sign up for SMS texts, Twitter tweets, Facebook updates and/or the previously established email alerts. Viewers who are already registered for alert emails through the previous system will continue to receive them unless they choose to unsubscribe.

Also, within a few weeks - prior to CBS's official premiere week (Sept. 24-30) - viewers will be able to sign up for SMS text Eye-lerts without having to go online by texting a short code directly from their mobile device to register. Details on this additional registration option will be announced in the coming weeks.

In addition to the Eye-lert updates, CBS will continue to aggressively use on-air graphics on Sunday nights to alert viewers to adjusted start times.
Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2012/09/11/cbs-launches-two-initiatives-to-help-viewers-navigate-adjusted-start-times-for-sunday-series-on-nfl-doubleheader-weekends-372500/20120911cbs01/#eKBbo6Y6FDIqfkzq.99
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
It will be interesting to see if CBS keeps that temporary schedule. The two FOX 4:25 start games ended almost right at 8 pm et.. We will have the next two weeks to see how CBS differs from that time frame.

CBS doesnt have any 4:05 games scheduled till the day of the start of TAR, so there is not a way to see how they will handle that. But we can see about how long the delay will  be, by comparing ending times with the FOX games the next two weeks.

Personally, I think the 4:05 games will cause a 30 minute delay and the 4:25 games will cause an hour delay.   

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
 )-**
 Canada CTV - 20:00 every Sunday.
No football, golf, hockey or tennis to delay.
Looks like we'll be seeing it at least 30 minutes before you most of the time.

Ohhhh, Canada...
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »
I know there is no TAR today but its 7:00 PM and the Jets/Steelers game on CBS that started at 4:25 PM still has 11 minutes to go. An indicator of whats to come in future weeks.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »
redwings, CBS has already said the start times will be pushed back a half hour on doubleheader Sundays amd the cable and newspaper guides are reflecting that in their listings. The question is whether they run past the half hour they've already shifted.

And September 30th is not a doubleheader Sunday.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
Well FOX had two 4:05 games today. One was over at 7:03 and the 2nd was over at 7:31. So the range difference means that Sept 30th TAR can start anytime. Again, it depends 1)on which of the games you get, 2) if the game ends quickly or long, 3) if CBS decides to wait till last game is over to start/coordinate it's prime time schedule.

Btw, the two 4:25 games on CBS were over at 7:29 and 7:31. So appears that on double header Sundays on CBS, they have about got the later start for the prime time set about right.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 01:20:50 AM »
And the games were all officiated by replacement referees; which meant they were on average taking longer to sort out penalties and instant replay review of plays, and even with that 60 Minutes started at 37 past the hour.
So yes, the 30 minute reset seems to be about right, especially if the regular officiating crews come back.
-- theschnauzers

Offline dpe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:48 AM »
NFL.COM has 3 games on Sept. 30th starting at 4:05ET.

tvguide.com has 60 min. and TAR starting on time. I doubt that will happen.