Author Topic: TAR 21: What to Expect! New Twist?  (Read 64504 times)

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 21: What to Expect! New Twist?
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
It is really meant to motivate people to watch it not motivate the teams

Offline markushsieh

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »
Hi Guys,
If you also got region blocking from outside of USA, you may try this video below...

The Amazing Race 21 Trailer - New Season This Fall
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/W4JKWc-gwzE&amp;feature" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/W4JKWc-gwzE&amp;feature</a>

Enjoy!!!

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »
I don't really see how more money is more motivating.  If $1M wasn't good enough, they wouldn't be racing.  Heck, promise a great route, and plenty of people would volunteer for a chance at $100k.

Also, I don't even see how, if it just the 1st leg 1st place team that gets it, that is extra motivation, as that is only motivation for that team.  Starting with the second episode, the only change is 9 teams are racing for $1M like always, and 1 for $2M.  90% stay the same.

At least they should make it so the winners of the most total legs of the final 3 gets the extra prize money chance.  Then, the motivation is not so much the extra money, but the chance at extra money, and that motivation will continue throughout for all the top teams.

Unless they play with the greed.  You know, something like "if the winner of the 1rst leg didn't reach the F3, the following team who arrived at the PitStop in that leg gain the right to win the 2 million prize, and so on if the previous teams are eliminated".  This would change the whole strategy on the race, making more fierce the fight for stay in the race, for the use of the U-Turns or even for gaining the Fast Forwards. 
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline dpe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »
I think there are several ways 2MIL could be split up as prize money. Phil just says "you will be playing for 2 million dollars", he doesn't say the winners will get that. As far as 2Mil being alot and increasing the cost of the show, with advertising revenues, product placements, website ads, etc I would think they easily can afford more prize money and make money on producing a 12 week series. It will be interesting to see how it works.   

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »
It's two million for the winners, if it was for anyone else that would ruin the prize of winning the race.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »
While reading the news about the $2,000,000 prize (it's about time that they boosted it up  :tup:), a thought crossed my mind. I've watched America's Got Talent a few times lately and if you watch the final credits closely, it says that their million dollar prize is paid out in equal yearly payments over 40 years. So, the winner gets $25,000 a year for 40 years. If you're in a group of 10 or 15 people, its down to a couple thousand a year. Quite a comedown from WINNING A MILLION DOLLARS! Still, I suppose the exposure on that show is the real prize. The producers probably only have to cough $500,000 for a 40 year annuity, so that's their reason for doing it.

My question is this: Does TAR pay out the whole million dollars at the end of the season or do they go the annuity route and pay it out over a number of years?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
The most recent season I'm aware of (Ernie-Cindy TAR 19) they tweeted a picture of Ernie holding the presentation check, and the indication was then that they were waiting for the whole thing, since they were also planning to start a charity with it as well as their wedding. I'm certain that in the early seasons the teams were paid the full million. And I've never seen anything to suggest that has been changed.

America's Got Talent is on a different network (NBC), and their production costs are different since they have a lot more contestants involved.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2012, 11:29:32 PM »
The most recent season I'm aware of (Ernie-Cindy TAR 19) they tweeted a picture of Ernie holding the presentation check, and the indication was then that they were waiting for the whole thing, since they were also planning to start a charity with it as well as their wedding. I'm certain that in the early seasons the teams were paid the full million. And I've never seen anything to suggest that has been changed.

America's Got Talent is on a different network (NBC), and their production costs are different since they have a lot more contestants involved.

Thanks leafsfan and theschnauzers! I figured that was probably the case, but I was so surprised at the America's Got Talent payout, that I thought I'd ask. I'd realized that production values on that show must be fairly high since they move hundreds of contestants around the country and pay for days and days of lodging and food bills. It's not surprising that they look for ways to keep their costs down, but a 40 year payout is pretty tacky none the less.
 :gaah:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »

Thanks leafsfan and theschnauzers! I figured that was probably the case, but I was so surprised at the America's Got Talent payout, that I thought I'd ask. I'd realized that production values on that show must be fairly high since they move hundreds of contestants around the country and pay for days and days of lodging and food bills. It's not surprising that they look for ways to keep their costs down, but a 40 year payout is pretty tacky none the less.
 :gaah:

About that, below is the link of the CBS video from the moment Eric & Danielle got their check after winning the 1 million dolars on TAR11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mkM_VS4I0

And this one is from Nat & Kat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTeuA8EBkcU&feature=related

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:05:12 AM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »
They get their million dollar payout on the early show the following day after the finale.

I like Mug's theory of winning the $2 million dollars prize too. You must win the very first leg of the race and the very last leg.

BUT,

Unless they play with the greed.  You know, something like "if the winner of the 1rst leg didn't reach the F3, the following team who arrived at the PitStop in that leg gain the right to win the 2 million prize, and so on if the previous teams are eliminated".  This would change the whole strategy on the race, making more fierce the fight for stay in the race, for the use of the U-Turns or even for gaining the Fast Forwards. 

I LOVE THIS THEORY THE MOST. OMG. THIS WILL MAKE ALL THE TEAMS KILL EACH OTHER. :lol:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »
I like how TAR always tries to do something different <3
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2012, 04:32:18 PM »
They get their million dollar payout on the early show the following day after the finale.

I like Mug's theory of winning the $2 million dollars prize too. You must win the very first leg of the race and the very last leg.

They haven't gotten the Early Show payout in the last 3 seasons, very sadly. With a change in hosts and producers, The Early Show seems to have given that up.

And Mug's theory...IS correct. ;)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
boo, only one team has the chance to win the 2 million dollars at the end of Leg 1? :| I hope once that team is eliminated, another team will be "marked for an additional million dollars" :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline JordanJones123

• RFF Full Member
  • Jet and Cord should have won!
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2012, 06:24:56 AM »

They haven't gotten the Early Show payout in the last 3 seasons, very sadly. With a change in hosts and producers, The Early Show seems to have given that up.

Is it actually correct? And the 2,000,000 prize money is bad anyway, should have been used to make TAR good again. been crap for the last 2 seasons
Jet and Cord are still the best!!! Bring them back!

'Maybe God didn't bless me so much with talent, but he gave me try'

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »

Is it actually correct? And the 2,000,000 prize money is bad anyway, should have been used to make TAR good again. been crap for the last 2 seasons
TAR was never crap.  :hrt:

Offline BlooperGuy

• RFF Full Member
  • SKRILLEX.....VS.....MOZART!!!!
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »

TAR was never crap.  :hrt:
Correct. There are better seasons for sure, but not one was a true letdown, at least in my opinion. On the other hand, Season 19 and 18 are probably my least favorite seasons. :(

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »
We should have expected that they won't guarantee two million with no strings attached.

I still wish they would allow a team to win more depending on how many legs they won. For me Dave and Rachel deserved more than teams like Eric and Danielle and Dan and Jordan. At least they started giving away some great cash prizes for leg winners :colors

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »
I don't think the 2nd million dollars from the $2 million prize really comes out of the coffers of WRP.
The 1st $1 million is a fixed cost, but the second million is conditional and isn't necessarily paid out.

If they have to pay to out the 2nd million it comes from a contest insurance company like this (http://www.worldwidespecialrisks.co.uk/sports) who underwrites the risk.

Basically they calculate what the odds are of having to pay the million and charge a premium to the contests producers - WRP.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »
Now THAT is interesting!! :yess:

Thanks WP!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »
Let's see, of the 20 seasons, the winner of the first leg won the Race in season 1, season 10, season 13, season 15, season 19, and season 20.

Odds based on all seasons: 6 of 20
Odds based on 10 most recent seasons: 4 of 10
Odds based on seasons since reduced legs from 13 to 12 (season 13-20): 4 of 8

If they're trying to motivate teams, I fail to see how that would happen after the first leg if only the one team can win the higher amount.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Trying to motivate them for the first leg win?? :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

addie

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »
It makes the most sence to me, since we had that leg 2 clue saying: "The winner of this leg will win the Express Pass". What would the winner of leg 1 otherwise win?

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »
I think it might have been mentioned before, but I like the idea of only one of the final 3 being eligible to win $2m. That team is whichever one of the three finished highest in the first leg.

So for example, if you came third in the first leg, you'd only get a shot at $2m if the two teams ahead of you get eliminated.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »
I think it might have been mentioned before, but I like the idea of only one of the final 3 being eligible to win $2m. That team is whichever one of the three finished highest in the first leg.

So for example, if you came third in the first leg, you'd only get a shot at $2m if the two teams ahead of you get eliminated.

That sounds familiar to me.  Why?

I don't really see how more money is more motivating.  If $1M wasn't good enough, they wouldn't be racing.  Heck, promise a great route, and plenty of people would volunteer for a chance at $100k.

Also, I don't even see how, if it just the 1st leg 1st place team that gets it, that is extra motivation, as that is only motivation for that team.  Starting with the second episode, the only change is 9 teams are racing for $1M like always, and 1 for $2M.  90% stay the same.

At least they should make it so the winners of the most total legs of the final 3 gets the extra prize money chance.  Then, the motivation is not so much the extra money, but the chance at extra money, and that motivation will continue throughout for all the top teams.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:28:20 PM by Alenaveda »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2012, 01:02:43 AM »
Y'all are making it way too complicated. ;)
RFF's Golden Rule: