Author Topic: TAR 21: What to Expect! New Twist?  (Read 64501 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 21: What to Expect! New Twist?
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:10:10 AM »
This season's New Twist?

Phil on The Talk July 9, 2012:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NPT5itcS6Ok?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NPT5itcS6Ok?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

"We are going into our 21st season.  (applause)

At the very beginning, when I intro... when I talk to the teams, I tell them about something that has never ever happened before, because we are always trying to shock them, and I tell them about something that is really exciting, and I can promise you that it will motivate them like they have never been motivated before."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:13:51 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 21: What to Expect! New Twist?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:31:24 AM »
new twist?  Are they gonna introduce Salvage Pass just like one on TAR Australia? :duno:

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:39:42 AM »
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it. Remember the Hazard? "A game-changing new addition that will affect one team for the rest of the race" my butt.
Bring on the 21!

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 07:56:52 AM »
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it. Remember the Hazard? "A game-changing new addition that will affect one team for the rest of the race" my butt.

One season in between, pretty hard to forget.

I'll remain indifferent for now. I can't watch the vid and I've been unspoiled (so far, I only got here because I don't mind being spoiled about a new twist) but from the transcript Peach posted it could go anywhere, short-term, long-term, big or small. The usual Phil with his ambiguous spiels when it's outside the race lol.
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:05:46 AM »
I recall reading a spoiler that said the winner of LEG 2 would win the Express Pass. I'm guessing that means something else will be awarded, which I'm sure is the Express Pass. Here is what I think will happen:
The first team in Leg 1 will win the Salvage Pass. If they choose to eliminate the team, the Express Pass will be up for grabs in the next Leg. If they choose NOT to eliminate the team, there will be some sort of negative consequence..

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
Pretty sure there is no Salvage Pass, lol. Or Hazard Pass.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline balfour

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 08:57:52 AM »
At the very beginning, when I intro... when I talk to the teams, I tell them about something that has never ever happened before, because we are always trying to shock them, and I tell them about something that is really exciting, and I can promise you that it will motivate them like they have never been motivated before."

Phil is quite the salesman when building anticipation for a new twist. But nothing can give a team more motivation than a starting line elimination. That won't happen ever again.

I wonder what could it be. I like supah3ro's ideas

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:02:32 AM »
I think the salvage pass would be a good addition to the race, but why didn't they add it earlier?
From supah3ro's comment I get the idea that it must be used in the first leg. Is that right? I never got such info from reading wikipedia's description of the salvage pass.

Myself, I'd like to see the Hazard again, but with some improvements. For example, like Phil once said that the Hazard would affect a team for the entire race, the Hazard could be not just 1 additional task, but a task each leg and it expires only when the team checks-in first or whatever. :)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:27 AM »
The fact that the express pass was moved to the second leg signaled something like this coming. Some of us wondered about the salvage pass because it was just on TarOz2 but there is no evidence for it.
I think that his motivation comment and the EP in Leg 2 confirms that it is something they can win in Leg 1.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
The Salvage Pass is quite possibly the biggest non event ever to hit our TV screens, and I hope we never have to see it again.

Honestly, an extra hour of sleep that you could probably take anyway because there's at least a 90% chance of a leveler and if not- You're in first, so you'll probably be departing in not last anyway. Completely useless.

It *can* work, if they increase the reward for choosing to eliminate the team. Combine it with an express pass or something, I don't know. But don't make it a completely useless item that nobody in their right mind would hang onto.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 11:16:50 AM »
This season's New Twist?

Phil on The View July 9, 2012:

"We are going into our 21st season.  (applause)

Speculation...
Something that has never ever happened before: a quadruple U-Turn - lets call it the WW-Turn  :lol3:
Something that provides extra motivation: the team that finishes first wins $2 million.   :hoot:
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
Hmm....

"I tell them about something that is really exciting, and I can promise you that it will motivate them like they have never been motivated before"

I liked the TARAus must-vote u-turn, which hasn't happened in the US version, but I don't think teams would call it "exciting."

I am wondering if maybe there is some incentive for finishing higher in the rankings on each leg?  When I think of people not being really motivated, I think of teams content to repeatedly finish in the middle of the pack, or "not last."  Maybe teams could get a little bonus money for the next leg if they place well?

Another twist which could motivate everyone: winning something like a "get out of jail free card." Unlike an Express Pass which is used to skip a task, or a Salvage Pass which allowed a TARAus team to keep another team in the game, this pass could be used by a team at the at the pit-stop to avoid their own elimination.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »
I think the Salvage Pass could be changed to: "Keep it and choose any EL LEG until leg 08/09 to make it NEL and save the team". Not that ridiculous thing made in TAR:Aus2 I didn't like it...

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 07:04:09 PM »
The way he talked about "motivation" my first thought was the same as one of WP's - More prize money for the winning team, or maybe an extra prize like an around-the-world trip in luxury accommodations in addition to the $1 million.

Or similar to what boston_jen said, maybe a prize for finishing in the top three every leg or something like that.

Gamewise, I can't think of anything really "exciting" except maybe an express pass on each of the first five legs.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
I think the Salvage Pass could be changed to: "Keep it and choose any EL LEG until leg 08/09 to make it NEL and save the team". Not that ridiculous thing made in TAR:Aus2 I didn't like it...

The only reason why WRP would not choose it is because of all of the money put in to making the Speed bumps and the NEL switching.

Peach, I can't watch the video. Could you get another one??

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »
I liked the TARAus must-vote u-turn, which hasn't happened in the US version, but I don't think teams would call it "exciting."

It is super unfair for those teams who are dominating, so I don't like it. :(
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
I suspect it's about something in the first leg that we've known about in part....which would be the opening task and the flights out of LAX....which leads to the EP being in the second leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »
Peach, I can't watch the video.

Are you sure?  :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »
I am wondering if maybe there is some incentive for finishing higher in the rankings on each leg?  When I think of people not being really motivated, I think of teams content to repeatedly finish in the middle of the pack, or "not last."  Maybe teams could get a little bonus money for the next leg if they place well?

An interesting idea... They did put alot of emphasis on Davechel's record before. What if you could add to the million every time you finish in the top three?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 11:34:40 PM »
As if the one million and a chance to travel around the world wasn't already a big enough incentive! :lol:

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 05:31:39 AM »
Can anyone plz tell me what the salvage pass is?
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 07:03:24 AM »
A new twst on TAR aus...The team who comes in first on the first leg wins it. They then have the power...or not! to use it to "save" the team who comes in last on that leg from elimination. Which makes the first leg a NEL if they use it.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »
I don't think it is the salvage pass...
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline BlooperGuy

• RFF Full Member
  • SKRILLEX.....VS.....MOZART!!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
I don't think it is the salvage pass...
It better not be. :P Maybe a triple U-Turn!  :lol3: Honestly, perhaps TAR should rest on the gimmicks and really pick better racers for us to watch. Please. Oh please.

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 11:58:48 AM »
A new twst on TAR aus...The team who comes in first on the first leg wins it. They then have the power...or not! to use it to "save" the team who comes in last on that leg from elimination. Which makes the first leg a NEL if they use it.

I'm counting down to the next season with watching old seasons. Good memories.
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan