Author Topic: The Paul vs Grace thing  (Read 24050 times)

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
The Paul vs Grace thing
« on: June 30, 2012, 05:00:36 AM »
What do you think about it and whose side (if any) are you on?

Offline Kacper

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Paul vs Grace thing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:18:07 AM »
I am not gonna say exactly which racers but I saw on twitter that other racers (not Paul & Steve) said that they don't like Grace and she needs some growing up to do and
Show content
we will see her true colors soon.
<----- I don't know if this is spoiler much but just in case....
Survivor: San Juan del Sur premieres Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8/7C on CBS
The Amazing Race 25 premieres Friday, September 26, 2014 8/7C on CBS

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 05:23:30 AM »
Well I'm definitely on Grace's side with the things that happened in Dubai while teams were just waiting around. :tup:

As for the whole push/fall thing, it's very hard to make a definitive assessment of the situation without any footage of the event, but given all the comments we've had from Paul in the past about wanting to bowl over anyone who is in his way, I think that shows how he wants to run the race, which is why I am definitely on Grace's side here as well. ;)

I just wish we had footage of exactly what happened... :gaah:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 05:27:19 AM »
Well I'm definitely on Grace's side with the things that happened in Dubai while teams were just waiting around. :tup:

As for the whole push/fall thing, it's very hard to make a definitive assessment of the situation without any footage of the event, but given all the comments we've had from Paul in the past about wanting to bowl over anyone who is in his way, I think that shows how he wants to run the race, which is why I am definitely on Grace's side here as well. ;)

This is like in TAR20 in Leg 7 at Nairobi Airport when Brendon gave Ralph the finger. We never actually got any footage of that, but I'm pretty sure it happened

I absolutely loved Grace and Joseph, a team I wouldn't mind see winning the race, but after other racers tweeting about dis-Grace's bad side, I'm not sure I'll like them as much as I did before  :(

Here is one of the tweets for any of you who are wondering (not sure if I'm allowed to post it) :
Show content
(tweeter's name removed)
@MaddiLam Unfortunately yes Paul is the scapegoat here although Aussies will soon see a true villain emerge that really is of the worst kind
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:36:58 AM by supah3ro »

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:10:15 AM »

Agreed!

I would take Grace's side because I think that even if you were bullied, you shouldn't knock someone over. In general, I've hated Paul's arrogance to begin with. In the first place, Grace shouldn't of repeated "Read the Clue" as many times as she did, but Paul should have just ignored it.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:39:52 AM »

Agreed!

I would take Grace's side because I think that even if you were bullied, you shouldn't knock someone over. In general, I've hated Paul's arrogance to begin with. In the first place, Grace shouldn't of repeated "Read the Clue" as many times as she did, but Paul should have just ignored it.

"Just ignore it" is honestly one of the worst pieces of advice you can give someone when it comes to bullying.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
In my schools classification of bullying (and mine as well), Grace did not bully Paul. Bullying is when someone is purposely trying to put someone down and is a repeated offense with an imbalance of power.

I will say what Grace did was wrong, but someone could have tolerated it (which is why I said to ignore it). If this teasing were to go on for all of the remaining legs, then I would consider it bullying and something would need to done to stop Grace and not to ignore it.

Offline balfour

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »
 Grace's actions at the Dubai ferry were very immature. She kept on repeating "read the clue" in a taunting way and making things up like "Did you grab it." It seems like a very high school-y thing to do.

As for Grace's fall in Instanbul, we can't really know without good footage. You'd think with all those cameras they would have picked it up.  :groan:

But in the heat of the race I think Paul might have been a little too reckless. Emilia said that the way he was running could have knocked down anyone. It sorta goes with what Paul said earlier about bowling people over.

But did he do it intentionally? Even I don't think Evil Paul is that evil. I think it was an accident.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
Grace's actions at the Dubai ferry were very immature. She kept on repeating "read the clue" in a taunting way and making things up like "Did you grab it." It seems like a very high school-y thing to do.

I suppose it could come off as a little immature, :duno: but there's heaps of incidents of teams messing with each other during a HoO throughout the course of TAR history (e.g. BJ & Tyler's fake sign-up list in Sicily for Eric & Jeremy on TAR9) and from my point of view, it's hardly worse than that kind of thing, especially because Grace wasn't wasting Paul's time by telling him to 'read the clue', since everyone was just sitting around waiting.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
Grace behaved immaturely in Dubai, but I don't think she had bad intentions, she was just kidding around. I thought Paul's reaction was overblown and that he was too dramatic, comparing it to bullying.

As for what happened to Istanbul, I think that it was just Paul's way of racing. If it was any other racer everyone would have said that it was just an accident but Grace overreacted.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Grace behaved immaturely in Dubai, but I don't think she had bad intentions, she was just kidding around. I thought Paul's reaction was overblown and that he was too dramatic, comparing it to bullying.

As for what happened to Istanbul, I think that it was just Paul's way of racing. If it was any other racer everyone would have said that it was just an accident but Grace overreacted.

This 100%. He overreacted to Grace, and he clearly didn't mean to knock her over. He even said something along the lines of, "Out of all the people I had to accidentally bump into."

paldog123456

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 12:07:31 PM »
I really truly think Grace is just a young girl that wants to have fun racing around the world, as shown as when she started dancing in Jaipur when they were supposed to be racing. She may need to watch what she says a little bit, but I really don't think she meant to offend Paul.

Paul needs to be a little less intense, and maybe people would open up to him.

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
I have a hard time siding with a woman who said "I don't like to use my brain" the way Grace did in an earlier episode, or who makes sand angels while her brother digs the car out.  Paul, on the other hand, is quite confident about his mental prowess, but had me laughing out loud when he was totally stumped by the raft building task and seemed ready to throw in the towel on the first leg, after all that chest pounding.

Of course, none of that tells us what happened while the were running, but it tells me a bit about who they are, what they think of themselves, and how they are playing the game.  My conclusion: Paul was focused on running, oblivious to the fact that his pack might hit someone, and had no real intention of knocking anyone over.  He would rather outsmart his opponents than knock them over, and the "bowl them over" remark was hyperbole.  Of course Grace was upset about getting knocked down, but because it was Paul, she wrung all the drama she could out of the situation.  She overdid it a bit at the dock as well, and it seemed to me that she was annoyed that Paul got hostile rather than flirty.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »
In Paul's side.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »
Graces side. I have no idea how what she did in Dubai could be called "bullying", she was just mucking around. Obviously if Paul thinks that is bullying he has never actually been bullied in his whole life.

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:14 PM »
Added a poll above.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »
Grace's side!

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »

I suppose it could come off as a little immature, :duno: but there's heaps of incidents of teams messing with each other during a HoO throughout the course of TAR history (e.g. BJ & Tyler's fake sign-up list in Sicily for Eric & Jeremy on TAR9) and from my point of view, it's hardly worse than that kind of thing, especially because Grace wasn't wasting Paul's time by telling him to 'read the clue', since everyone was just sitting around waiting.

The difference in that is the fake sign up sheet was directed at everybody, while the Dubai incident was targeted specifically at Paul. We need to remember as well that Grace was not the only perpetrator, she was just the one that came out the loudest. Bullying means any behaviour that is repeated, systematic and directed towards a person or group of people that a reasonable person, having regard to the circumstances, would expect to victimise, humiliate, undermine or threaten.

Repeated? Yes.
Directed towards a person? Yes
Expected to undermine or humiliate? Yes

Had Grace done that in a workplace and Paul reported it, she would have been given a formal warning at the very least. It's bullying and to be honest, I think Paul handled himself reasonably well about it. His only response was to tell Grace he doesn't want to speak to her, how is that a bad way to behave?

Offline 123blueandwhite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
I felt Grace was mocking Paul when she was asking for a high-five and a hug.

For those of you that have been claiming Paul is a bully, what exactly did he do?

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »
I think the only reason Grace was doing this to Paul is because he brags to be an alpha male and a very smart person. I think she was trying to give him a taste of his medicine that he should figure out what he is suppose to do next. Had Paul would have just stayed humble and not brag about himself being better than everyone else, this incident would have never happened.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
It's stupid to say that Paul has been bullying people. The only thing he's done is acted really smug.

Offline SoYoung

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 12:09:42 AM »
Paul did prove he is smart in the past 2 roadblock, didn't he?

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 01:59:57 AM »
It would be a whole lot easier to side with Paul if he hadn't already knocked over Kym & Donna's pots in India, and if he didn't constantly talk about bowling people over.

He's made it clear that he's more than willing and capable of bulldozing someone, so it's impossible for me to side with him.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 02:25:22 AM »
Paul did prove he is smart in the past 2 roadblock, didn't he?

And what does that have to do with the price of china? ??? :res: