Author Topic: On Casting  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
On Casting
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »
This thread is to share your ideas about how TAR should improve their casting system. While there might be great debate over gimmicky/reality celeb, teams I want to focus my first issue on proficiency.

It was rather obvious that Davechel were pretty much in a whole different league than the rest of the cast this last season. So my question is, would you rather have an über competitive Season featuring teams like Davechel, Dustin & Kandice, Eric & Jeremy, Meghan & Cheyne and Nick & Starr, or a Season with teams of a "lower level"? Discuss.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: On Casting
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »
Personally, I think the "lower level" teams tend to be the most interesting and entertaining, but at the same time I do like watching the athletic, young competitive teams. I would like a mix of both, but preferably less 'über competitive' teams.
For example Dave and Cherie last season were the 'Married Clowns' and I thought they had a nice story and they were very entertaining. BUT all the other teams were so über competitive that they didn't really get a chance to go far.
Another example:
Most of you might know Lucy and Emilia (Italian Sisters/Teachers) from the current The Amazing Race Australia 2
They aren't cut-throat competitive, they aren't the most athletic team, they aren't the strongest, yet they are the fan favourites (it's their great attitude that keeps them in the race)
They have an interesting story - their mother had cancer and she encouraged them to do the race together, and they are such a great team to watch!

Whenever the cast is revealed, it's easy to tell whether it's a good cast
1. Every team has an interesting story or motivation to run the race
2. The cast age range (e.g. TAR16 - youngest contestant was 20 and the oldest was 71)
3. Diversity (professions, nationalities, relationships etc)

I wish WRP would cast some MORE "low level" teams, and from our TAR21 Spoilers, it looks like they have improved on casting, we'll have to wait and see
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:19:11 PM by supah3ro »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:40:35 PM »
It is very rare to have uber-competitive teams that are also super entertaining, so I guess I want more "low-level" (lol, can't we replace this term with a nicer one? But as of the moment, I can't think of any :lol:) teams (but not gimmicky, of course) <33
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »
They don't cast on racing supposed racing ability, they cast on personality. Dave & Rachel had an amusing backstory, and that is why the were cast, not because they appeared to be good racers.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:17:13 PM »
We're seeing teams like Dave & Rachel emerge partly because TAR's leg design has become easier and a lot more simple than it used to be.  Completely linear legs that allow for no placement changes during the leg.

That said, I do want to see a more competitive Race and more competitive, but entertaining, Racers.
Basically, hire TARAu's casting people. Two seasons and both great, diverse casts.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »
I would much rather enjoy entertaining racers over super competitive racers. TARAus is spectacular with doing that which is how I find it enjoyable. I also like people who do the race for fun and try to enjoy it, like Lucy & Emilia and Mallory (of Gary and Mallory).

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
We're seeing teams like Dave & Rachel emerge partly because TAR's leg design has become easier and a lot more simple than it used to be.  Completely linear legs that allow for no placement changes during the leg.

That said, I do want to see a more competitive Race and more competitive, but entertaining, Racers.
Basically, hire TARAu's casting people. Two seasons and both great, diverse casts.
Because Mo & Mos and Anne-Marie & Tracy were competitive, and Jeff & Luke and Tyler & Nathan were the pinnacle of entertainment.

Nah, I'm just messing with you, I know what you mean.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »
Speaking of Big W, TARUS needs to find two WalMart or Target moms to run the Race.  Hee.

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »
Speaking of Big W, TARUS needs to find two WalMart or Target moms to run the Race.  Hee.

THIS

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »

I wonder if we watched the same season because TAR20 had continual opportunity for placement changes. It was one of the huge improvements over season 19. The only leg I can remember that had no changes was Azerbaijan where they went for visually interesting tasks instead of skill based tasks.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.