Author Topic: TARAus2 Episode 4 (Dubai) Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 21313 times)

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARAus2 Episode 4 (Dubai) Discussion *SPOILERS*
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »
I think the person who grabbed the clue was the one who was doing the roadblock, the other person just did it for fun or something  :tup:

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »
Sounded like Kym and Donna's issue was getting to a roadblock that was not actually aired on the show. Donna mentioned they'd been to Wild Wadi and knew where the Race course was but there issue was getting to somewhere between then. They cut out a lot of the show. They had asked Hotels, Service Stations, people on the street but no luck.  :duno:
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 02:44:26 AM »

there is a race flag marking the stair case in the bottom right corner. my best bet is that its the staircase leading to the water slide and going down the slide was the unaired RB  :tup:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 03:13:33 AM »
One thing I don't understand is why they didn't force Sarah to cover up. The Arab countries tend to be really conservative with women showing off.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline howie_2010

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 04:47:02 AM »
One thing I don't understand is why they didn't force Sarah to cover up. The Arab countries tend to be really conservative with women showing off.

Dubai is not really like that. It has a massive Western migrant community, and as it's a tourist destination it kinda has to be pretty liberal when it comes to women's dress. There is currently a push to force foreigners and migrants to cover up a bit more though.

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 04:53:20 AM »
Well, kinda mixed feelings about this episode tbh.

I thought the challenges were rather poorly designed. The detour ones were still kind of ok although in the buggy task I didn't think it was clear how long it took for help to drag their buggies out of the sand. Was that a random timeframe or a set one? Help seemed to pop up out of nowhere so I suppose it was something organized by the production.  :duno:

The race one was kind of rediculous I think. People racing hard lost so much time (45 min wait per bet) on something they had no control over. And teams arriving much later did this in a heartbeat by piggyback riding which took hardly any time or effort and seemed to be mostly for the amusement of us watching it. It required no skill nor much effort.

I guess had all of them still kept being unlucky the first teams would have still made it first but it was pretty random I thought.  :duno:

On the positive side: Many good moments, and a few good laughs with the sisters as usual.  :lol:
They drove into the no entry zone of the palace?!  :lol3: Good thing to do in those regions!  :lol3:
They were lucky to get off so light I think, I wonder if some strings were pulled maybe by a consulate?

I do wonder a little about some racer's attitude though. Sure it's about having fun too but at times it seems to me they are a bit too preoccupied with having fun rather than being focussed on the race?
1. Kym and Donna giving up - sure they tried but I think a bit more creative thinking would have seen them to the end? Still think it might be in part due to culture shock, especially in light of what they said about India.
2. Grace just lying around in the sand instead of trying to help her brother dig out the buggy.
3. The dad of the dad-daughter team just wanting to have a go at grabbing the race clue in the water park. (I can sort of get that didn't take very long either but still it could make the difference of making it or being out in a later stage..)
4. Paul who always seems to want to quit at the first hurdle in spite of all his self-aggrandized talk.
5. The sisters who are lovely but really have no race-spirit at all it seems. Well, hardly any. Not that I fault them for it but this is just in the light of making a point here.
6. The cops who let themselves be distracted at the race course by having a nice chitchat without looking at the challenge first..

Not sure, I mean I think the  US version may be a bit too cut-throat at times, a bit too harsh and competitive amongst each other.
But this kind of feels like everyone is not really thinking about the game yet. They are acting like they all need to be nice to each other. Not saying I promote how Paul is acting, far from it. But this let's all just have fun thing can be taken a bit too far too as this is after all a race and a competition.

Maybe it just comes across this way but I hope some teams will get a bit more feisty in future episodes, somehow a bit sharper.
Not that I crave drama, I like that about the Australian version, there's not so much bickering etc. But just a bit more of an edge, I seem to be missing it somehow so far.  :duno:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:59:07 AM by Topita »
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 06:31:56 AM »

there is a race flag marking the stair case in the bottom right corner. my best bet is that its the staircase leading to the water slide and going down the slide was the unaired RB  :tup:
Oh then I was wrong!

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 07:12:22 AM »
I actually like the fact that people can have fun, it makes for more variety and some funny moments.  There is still some competitive spirit among the racers as well.

And I agree with someone earlier that this appeared like it would be a non-elimination leg, because of the luck element with the horses.  Sad when someone doesn't make the pit stop, but very happy the sisters are still in it. 

Tasks overall pretty good, they may have missed out another task at the water park I heard.  The camels were funny, buggy racing had some drama.  Lots of self-driving which is great and underrated as an aspect of the show.  Cast is good too, plenty of variety.  Only episode so far I didn't like so much was the second, good season so far.

Offline AR FAN

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »
I do wonder a little about some racer's attitude though. Sure it's about having fun too but at times it seems to me they are a bit too preoccupied with having fun rather than being focussed on the race?
1. Kym and Donna giving up - sure they tried but I think a bit more creative thinking would have seen them to the end? Still think it might be in part due to culture shock, especially in light of what they said about India.
2. Grace just lying around in the sand instead of trying to help her brother dig out the buggy.
3. The dad of the dad-daughter team just wanting to have a go at grabbing the race clue in the water park. (I can sort of get that didn't take very long either but still it could make the difference of making it or being out in a later stage..)
4. Paul who always seems to want to quit at the first hurdle in spite of all his self-aggrandized talk.
5. The sisters who are lovely but really have no race-spirit at all it seems. Well, hardly any. Not that I fault them for it but this is just in the light of making a point here.
6. The cops who let themselves be distracted at the race course by having a nice chitchat without looking at the challenge first..

Not sure, I mean I think the  US version may be a bit too cut-throat at times, a bit too harsh and competitive amongst each other.
But this kind of feels like everyone is not really thinking about the game yet. They are acting like they all need to be nice to each other. Not saying I promote how Paul is acting, far from it. But this let's all just have fun thing can be taken a bit too far too as this is after all a race and a competition.

Maybe it just comes across this way but I hope some teams will get a bit more feisty in future episodes, somehow a bit sharper.
Not that I crave drama, I like that about the Australian version, there's not so much bickering etc. But just a bit more of an edge, I seem to be missing it somehow so far.  :duno:

I totally agree with everything you said above. It's a race not a vacation. Which is another reason I hate the must vote u-turn, I'm actually glad Steve and Paul survived because I hate the concept so much.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
Our two wonderful ladies who spotted the teams at Meydan Racecourse at the time of filming actually appeared for a second on the episode! who else saw that? haha

I did! Just sent them the link and a HUGE thank you!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »
I really don't think everyone is always so nice to each other though.  The workmates obviously, but in this episode the twins not telling the cops what to do at the racecourse, Sticky and his team-mate just going past the twins on the dune buggy, remember those?  And at the end there was a clear rush for first place.  So, again, I don't agree about it just being a vacation.

Offline chal_uf

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 01:48:21 PM »
did anyone else see the roadblock clue???

I see twins and cops with the roadblock clue after water slide task. I guess there are unaired roadblock, because when they read the clue about going to meydan race, no one of them shoot clearly team with clue and read it, but they zoom in the clue or route info that they must go to meydan racecourse.

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 04:48:23 AM »
I really don't think everyone is always so nice to each other though.  The workmates obviously, but in this episode the twins not telling the cops what to do at the racecourse, Sticky and his team-mate just going past the twins on the dune buggy, remember those?  And at the end there was a clear rush for first place.  So, again, I don't agree about it just being a vacation.
The examples I gave I think speak for themselves about some people not being as sharp as they should imo, being as this is a race after all imo.
As for the buddy-content. Sure they aren't actively helping each other out.. They have enough sense to know that's probably not a good idea in a race.. But I'm not seeing the eagerness in some that I would like to see in the race spirit, or the real sense of competition in a way.

That's a matter of opinion of course. Just saying it like I see it anyway.
I'm sure once the numbers dwindle some will keep their eyes on the goal a bit more and do less fiddling about like making a butterfly in the sand when they are young and fit and should be focussed on getting the hell out of there, if they take it seriously.

I guess there's a fine line - to me anyway - between taking things too seriously and just screwing around and almost taking the piss.
Maybe some find that entertaining, to me, if someone keeps doing that and keeps staying because the rest does even worse, that just doesn't give me an overall feel there's an actual race going on.

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm not a fan of weepy overdramatic or overzealous/ Type A personality- ovedrive teams like you have on the US versions sometimes.
I'm all for a somewhat more relaxed attitude (eg the Cowboys in both the US as well as the Australian version).
But I never got the feeling they didn't take the race aspect seriously and were just horsing around - like I get now with some of the teams. I just feel that's a shame, because it doesn't make me want to root for them. Like maybe yes, root, nah.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:59:25 AM by Topita »
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline AR FAN

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »
The examples I gave I think speak for themselves about some people not being as sharp as they should imo, being as this is a race after all imo.
As for the buddy-content. Sure they aren't actively helping each other out.. They have enough sense to know that's probably not a good idea in a race.. But I'm not seeing the eagerness in some that I would like to see in the race spirit, or the real sense of competition in a way.

That's a matter of opinion of course. Just saying it like I see it anyway.
I'm sure once the numbers dwindle some will keep their eyes on the goal a bit more and do less fiddling about like making a butterfly in the sand when they are young and fit and should be focussed on getting the hell out of there, if they take it seriously.

I guess there's a fine line - to me anyway - between taking things too seriously and just screwing around and almost taking the piss.
Maybe some find that entertaining, to me, if someone keeps doing that and keeps staying because the rest does even worse, that just doesn't give me an overall feel there's an actual race going on.

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm not a fan of weepy overdramatic or overzealous/ Type A personality- ovedrive teams like you have on the US versions sometimes.
I'm all for a somewhat more relaxed attitude (eg the Cowboys in both the US as well as the Australian version).
But I never got the feeling they didn't take the race aspect seriously and were just horsing around - like I get now with some of the teams. I just feel that's a shame, because it doesn't make me want to root for them. Like maybe yes, root, nah.
I couldn't have said it any better. Thank You.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 03:11:22 AM »
I'm sure once the numbers dwindle some will keep their eyes on the goal a bit more

I think this is definitely the case.  In fact quite a few Amazing Races probably start off relatively relaxed compared to how things develop later.  And I still think that all those eliminated so far would have preferred not to be eliminated. 

But I never got the feeling they didn't take the race aspect seriously and were just horsing around

The American cowboys did seem very relaxed at times, like they were Forrest Gump figures.  They could be efficient in doing some challenges but I didn't get the feeling they took it that seriously at times.  They were just good at some challenges so that made them look better.  They were definitely better first time around, though even there they only seemed to get a bit more edge to them towards the end.  And unlike some of these Australian teams this season I didn't find that much humour to liven them up either.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
It looks like they used the same "sleeping in the car" gimmick that TARA used to eliminate Mai/Oliver in Taiwan. The parking spot, next to the Dubai World Trade Centre, is actually just a mile down the road from the Four Points helipad pitstop.
Also interesting is the fact that the name of the pitstop was edited out of all the VOs.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 12:43:57 PM »
The sleeping in a car situation was also in the first season, in fact there it was made as if th
It looks like they used the same "sleeping in the car" gimmick that TARA used to eliminate Mai/Oliver in Taiwan.

Whether a gimmick or not it was definitely seen in the first Australian season.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »
Also interesting is the fact that the name of the pitstop was edited out of all the VOs.

That is VERY interesting! Any spec why?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
OMG EPISODE 4! Must vote U-TURN. LOLOLOL. Karma strikes for Paul and Steve! :lol:

Two different flights? Oh my. I hope my father and daughter and teachers who are on the later flight survives!

Paul and Steve, courtesy of six teams... LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sticky and Sam, didn't help the twins. And now... see what happens! :lol:

Race course task! Interesting!! Carry the team mate across if you fail to pick the right one! :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »
Michelle and Jo, in second place and claimed the surfing clue with one try. Like... omg. :lol:

Okay, i got excited with the show I completely forgot to comment. :lol:

It looks like the teachers are toast. -_-

I'M LOVING THIS! JAMES AND SARAH WON THE LEG!!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

THAT WAS JUST RANDOM??? Good job Sticky and Sam for being team number two!

I'm loving Michelle and Jo. Team number four and completely doing everything on their own! :jam:

LUCY AND EMILIA SURVIVED???

AND KYM AND DONNA JUST SLEPT IN THE CAR?? WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT??? :gaah: :crazy: :gaah: :crazy:

Lucy and Emilia... if they continued to survive the next leg.... omg. I'll be shocked. How did this even happen??? :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »
Okay, I hated the Meydan Racecourse task. Poorly orchestrated. Seriously if they get the wrong horse they should have just been awarded a 30 mins time waitout. Some teams literally spent HOURS at that task, which was actually quite cool.. but if that actually  that resulted in the elimination of the team (even if Paul and Steve), I would have been mad and angry. Just such a random luck task.

And Kym and Donna, why the hell did they even quit. :gaah:

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »
Is it just me or everybody else also imagines Joab jumping of exciteness in front of the computer watching TARAUS2?  :lol3:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline SoYoung

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
Is it just me or everybody else also imagines Joab jumping of exciteness in front of the computer watching TARAUS2?  :lol3:

i dont know why but since Joab started commenting on episode 1. i got excited and waiting for him to comment n the next episode lol. Still 3 episode and he is gonna catch up

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »

i dont know why but since Joab started commenting on episode 1. i got excited and waiting for him to comment n the next episode lol. Still 3 episode and he is gonna catch up

Me too  :lol:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 02:29:03 AM »
I would have done LIVE commentaries if I get the show LIVE. :( :lol3:

I'M HOOKED. GONNA WATCH EPISODE 5 TODAY... But I think someone spoiled it for me accidentally saying it's a NEL.

Do you know how hard it is to resist spoilers and not find out what happens? It made me SUPER excited~! Watching the teachers survive LEG AFTER LEG = :lol: :lol: :lol:

They are like my new Ann Marie and Tracy, except they don't give up and keep trying!!! :lol3:

If they are not gone next, I WILL BE SHOCKED! :lol3: