Author Topic: TARaus2 Episode 1 LIVE show Discussion!!  (Read 29867 times)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARaus2 Episode 1 LIVE show Discussion!!
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2012, 08:25:07 AM »
2,000 pesos is about 45 dollars, that is one very expensive taxi ride, and they only got about US$146.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »
Or they thought it was 1700+. They didn't see the decimal point, and maybe that's why they paid 2000 pesos
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline roninmedia

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
I'm not Filipino and I down balut rather easily.  :umn:    Can't do the dance at all, but I could probably catch pigs because I've chased chickens before and I can build a raft.

The rhythm based detours aren't great in any season. People avoid those like the plague.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:42:36 AM by roninmedia »

Offline zacz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »
2,000 pesos is about 45 dollars, that is one very expensive taxi ride, and they only got about US$146.

Remember they are from Australia... $45 for a taxi fare is pretty standard here in Australia (or at least in Perth... dunno about the rest). If they haven't travelled much it may not have seemed that unusual to them.

Offline zeeyyy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2012, 07:44:33 PM »
Or they thought it was 1700+. They didn't see the decimal point, and maybe that's why they paid 2000 pesos

I thought they paid 2,500 or was it "2,000 fine" - take a hear again at 28:24 of the video. Interestingly the teachers paid 341 pesos (about USD8), just before sticky & sam paid their taxi driver, and an earlier clip showed "176.50" on s&s's taxi meter, but s&s did mentioned that they have only 2,000 and "it's all yours", "yours" to the driver.

Yes, they overpaid as they didn't see the "dot" before the last 2 digits.  :-[
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:52:33 PM by zeeyyy »

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2012, 11:40:49 PM »

Remember they are from Australia... $45 for a taxi fare is pretty standard here in Australia (or at least in Perth... dunno about the rest). If they haven't travelled much it may not have seemed that unusual to them.

sorry US$45.

Offline howie_2010

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »

sorry US$45.
aka AU$46.50

I liked the episode, but not as much as last season's premier. The casting is excellent though; I love Kym and Donna, the twins and the sisters. I only dislike Paul, I think the speed with which he wanted to quit was nearly pathetic, especially after all the talk about being a competitive alpha male.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2012, 01:16:49 AM »
Well how speedy that was is hard to say, I guess the editing plays a role there.  They are obviously meant to be the baddies, so hopefully they can fit that role well.  The entrepreneurs in the first series were slightly annoying rather than being real baddies.  Art and JJ this year were the archetypal baddies, but for some people they were too much.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2012, 01:35:59 AM »
Art and JJ this year were the archetypal baddies, but for some people they were too much.
Realy I liked Art and JJ, espicaliy compared to Brendon and Rachal .

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2012, 02:53:09 AM »
Well how speedy that was is hard to say, I guess the editing plays a role there.  They are obviously meant to be the baddies, so hopefully they can fit that role well.  The entrepreneurs in the first series were slightly annoying rather than being real baddies.  Art and JJ this year were the archetypal baddies, but for some people they were too much.
Well true it took them a fair bit of time it seems, since it was dark when both of the last teams reached the mat.
Still it seemed to be Steve who was persistent, and Paul willing to talk him into quitting and/or taking the penalty.
That was kind of rediculous after all his pumped up talk, so Paul seems to run out of steam quite quickly in fact. Even if it took them a while, clearly the other teams took a fair bit as well (the aboriginal cousins had to do it all over again even!) and they didn't give up in spirit for the most part.  :duno:

My least favorite team so far but like you say, obviously cast as the bad guys of this season.  :lol:

I mentioned the taxi thing in another topic before I saw this, but I think it was probably a misunderstanding at heart.
The guys thought they were running out of money so they mentioned they could only pay 2000 pesos.
The taxi driver then asked: For how long (as in, how long do you want to hire me for, this is how I understood it - he saw two rich tourists in his eyes and probably needed the money so if they wanted to charter him..)

They gave him the money - the taxi driver should have then intervened basically I think but I'm still not sure if he understood why they gave him that money or if there was a malicious intent.

It makes no sense to me that TAR would give an unrealistic amount for leg 1 (since they had no chance to save up some money either).
I hope they'll keep a sharp mind from now on because mistakes like that could easily cost them the race at some point or another, which would be a shame.  :(
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »
Well from what we were shown most of the other teams didn't say they were thinking of giving up, though those who had to go back and do it again may have.  Taking a penalty in anticipation of others not being able to do it might even have worked had there not been some local help around.

Taxi drivers in these poorer countries will probably take whatever they can get, even if it's through misunderstanding.  There have certainly certainly been some bad taxi drivers in the American version.  It must be a tricky situation for a racer to be in sometimes, you want to settle with the taxi driver (probably still have to in the rules) but you don't want to be exploited by them either as it could hurt you in the race.  Certainly it pays to play it smarter than they were in revealing that they were about to pay that much.  As I think someone in a previous race said, don't show how much money you have.

Offline zeeyyy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »
Certainly it pays to play it smarter than they were in revealing that they were about to pay that much.  As I think someone in a previous race said, don't show how much money you have.

A very good advice.  :tup:

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2012, 07:23:54 PM »
damn!  I couldn't find a torrent on the 1st episode of TARAus 2 to watch it.  Maybe there's an Australian law that forbids illegal distribution of "licensed" TV shows through bittorrent? :gaah:

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
Taxi drivers in these poorer countries will probably take whatever they can get, even if it's through misunderstanding.  There have certainly certainly been some bad taxi drivers in the American version.  It must be a tricky situation for a racer to be in sometimes, you want to settle with the taxi driver (probably still have to in the rules) but you don't want to be exploited by them either as it could hurt you in the race.  Certainly it pays to play it smarter than they were in revealing that they were about to pay that much.  As I think someone in a previous race said, don't show how much money you have.
Someone from the Philippines on You Tube mentioned that the yellow 'airport taxi's' are much more expensive than the 'regular' white ones, i.e. they overcharge in general. Still clearly the Sticky team paid way too much even if the yellow taxi's tend to overcharge, whether that was due to misunderstanding or not, I think.  :) You're right, taxi's overcharge and rip off tourists especially worldwide. I think I can somewhat understand it in these situations, even if it's still wrong obviously.

On the other hand it was clearly quite naive of Sticky & friend to just wave the money in his face in a way. I mean it's like being in your own country and taking a taxi in an unknown place or city, waving your wallet in front of the taxidriver's nose and then say: ok take as much as you need. Sure that person doesn't need to abuse your trust but on the other hand, there is such a thing as 'common sense' too.  :lol:

Either way, I hope they have learned from this mistake and go about things in a smarter way from now on - eg asking a ballpark price or negotiating the price in advance, or at the very least not jumping to conclusions and waving money in someone's face.
Even if they made it to the next leg it could still hurt them because financially they don't have any cushion. Hopefully their starter money stretches far enough for them not to have more problems like this.  :)
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »
damn!  I couldn't find a torrent on the 1st episode of TARAus 2 to watch it.  Maybe there's an Australian law that forbids illegal distribution of "licensed" TV shows through bittorrent? :gaah:
I found one...... just keep looking!! :) :)

Offline carlsbad_bolt_Fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2012, 06:52:45 PM »
Watched this one last night. Really good first leg. Cracked up when they had to eat balut. Can't stand the "alpha males". Think they got humbled this leg.

Offline roninmedia

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2012, 06:54:56 PM »

I used an Australian based proxy to watch the episode on the official show website. Does pick up a bit of latency though. Really, the usual suspects have the episode readily available to watch.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »
I don't think that the taxi driver intentionally ripped Sticky & Sam off. At some point when they offer 2,000pesos he asks them for how long they want to hire him and they answer just for this ride. He would be a full not to take the money  when they are being offered.
let's hope that Sticky and sam will learn not to offer money that easily!