Author Topic: Things TAR shouldn't have done  (Read 39876 times)

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Things TAR shouldn't have done
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
Bad race ideas:

Season 20: Casting BBWinner, Rachel Reilly (wannabe Flo)

Is this a joke she saved many episodes of the season due to legs being crap.

Really? You found the legs to be "crap"? I actually enjoyed the Season 20 legs. (Though the 2nd Argentina leg I gotta admit was "crap." :lol:)

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2012, 01:44:32 PM »
All of you are hating on Rachel for no reason. Without her there would have been no tension btwn the teams which means no drama. I think the drama definitely helped S20 become one of the best editions of the race so far.

I hated Rachel (worst contestant ever!). I just wanted to kill her every time I saw her face in my TV. Thank goodness all the other teams saved the season.

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
All of you are hating on Rachel for no reason. Without her there would have been no tension btwn the teams which means no drama. I think the drama definitely helped S20 become one of the best editions of the race so far.

I hated Rachel (best contestant ever!). I just wanted to kill her every time I saw her face in my TV. Thank goodness all the other teams saved the season.

Um Leg 2 was poor in design, without her struggling at the roadblock you would have been yawning.
Without her on Leg 4 it would have been a boring leg since everyone else did the detour fine.
Leg 7 would have been the worst in history if it wasn't for Rachel. The Jumping and other tasks were done wayy to fast.
The U-Turn might of prevented Leg 8 from following but it was still boring without the uturn drama.

She saved a lot of the sucky TAR20 legs and made it a top 5 season for Phil. Without it it would have followed TAR19 into boring team land.

If you hate her well you can go grab a lifevest named jealousy.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2012, 01:55:11 PM »
I agree with Leafsfan in saying that Rachel helped the season by bringing in more drama, so I think it was a plus.

Side comment, I think Season 20 had 4 good legs: 3 (Paraguay), 5 (Germany), 9 and 10 (India)

So it wasn't crap, but it wasn't phenomenal either.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »
I agree with Leafsfan in saying that Rachel helped the season by bringing in more drama, so I think it was a plus.

Side comment, I think Season 20 had 4 good legs: 3 (Paraguay), 5 (Germany), 9 and 10 (India)

So it wasn't crap, but it wasn't phenomenal either.

I thought Azerbaijan was pretty cool from the visit to Temple Ateshgah (Temple of Fire) and the Apple or Oil Detour. I've always wanted to go there to visit Baku's downtown and festivals there.

I didn't like it when Rachel Reilly had to... in Ragan Fox's words, "crybernate" on the race. Big Brother, I can see why emotions can change being trapped in a giant fishbowl of strategy, but racing is NOT a new medium, I dislike it when half of the teams have to hate each other for lying and talking bad about others like the huge tensions from seasons 20, 16, all-stars, and especially season 5, but route-wise made up for it. Transportation issues, I understand, but for socialization reasons, not much of a big fan.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2012, 02:34:27 PM »
The other day I wanted to watch Season 20's finale because I liked it so much. I made it 10 minutes before her voice and whining was too much. 20 being a good season is irrelevant to her being there, otherwise Season 3? Season 5? Season 7? They're all terrible because she's not in them.

Offline Al

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
Rachel helped TAR20 be better. I'll just let you drink your haterade.

Now, TAR shouldn't have just done that ice cream eating speed bump.

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2012, 09:50:34 PM »
Rachel helped TAR20 be better. I'll just let you drink your haterade.

Now, TAR shouldn't have just done that ice cream eating speed bump.

yes rachel did help TAR 20 to be better in terms of casting thats about it. and y do you say that about the speed bump? i think it was perfectly located, didnt take up to much time to complete but just enough in order to make it significant

Offline Nobita

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »
Bad race ideas:

Season 7: Argentinian beef RB in leg 3

I think the amount of meat is too much. It should be reduced so that teams can finish it faster.

Another thing TAR should not have done is removing the cheesy head turn from the intro song. Oh, I miss it when teams was doing cheesy headturn (Teri & Ian, Kynt & Vyxin) or trying to give mean looks (Cyndi & Russell, Susan & Patrick). Ohohohoho~

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2012, 11:56:03 PM »
Anything from the current season should be discussed only in the TAR 21 threads, thanks! Comments moved to show discussion.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »
Have an "Automatic U-turn" penalty in the first leg of TAR 18. :groan:

I was so excited that Amanda & Kris had a second chance and then horrified that it went so badly. :'(
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »
Speed Bump tasks shouldn't be of wildly differing levels of difficulty. Eating food vs. solving a puzzle

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »
Speed Bump tasks shouldn't be of wildly differing levels of difficulty. Eating food vs. solving a puzzle

IKR. Or untangling ropes. -_- Or making + serving noodles in Vietnam. Or running across firecrackers. TAR 20 had fair Speedbumps that were interesting and doesn't seem ridiculously easy.

TAR 19 had washing elephants + solving puzzle which was hard.. as compared to Bill and Cathi's untangling ropes.

TAR 18's Speedbump was just lame and too easy. (Gary and Mallory, only speedbump of the season)

TAR 17: Sitting on ice chair VS cleaning Self-Propelled Howitzers... wth?
TAR 16: Had varying difficulty of SB too, smelly tea VS building trench VS throwing coins for good luck ritual...

There's just so many differing levels of difficulty and I just feel that if the task is generally lame, they should not allow it..

For example, rather than making Josh and Brent EAT TURKISH ICE CREAM, they can make them learn and serve the ICE CREAM to 5 to 10 people. That would make the task so much more interesting!

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »
Speed Bumbs are a freacking bad penalty!!!! Marked for Elimination is way better.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
Speed Bumbs are a freacking bad penalty!!!! Marked for Elimination is way better.

I disagree, It was way to difficult of a penalty. I think speedbump is the fairest penalty the race has had.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »
After seeing how season 19 went (just watched on iPhone from iTunes), the route was pretty mixed. I completely forgot about the Casco Viejo, Panama and Brussells, Belgium leg after the finale for a moment even with the "create a map" memory task. The only tasks I found interesting were decorating waffles Detour option and the skyscraper tightrope Roadblock for those legs. Other than that, the rest were pretty decent. My favorite tasks would be the spelunking in Yogyakarta and the Legoland puzzle task in Denmark.

Worst was with the least amount of clothing possible... Bodybuilding pose off
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »
My favourite speedbump was painting the elephant's trunk in Season 14.

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
From the recent seasons:
-Visiting no new country in season 21.
-That awful rappelling roadblock in Turin, season 20.
-Going to Osaka in season 20. I wish they stayed in Hiroshima for the full leg.
-Double Elimination in season 19.
-The second Bangkok leg in season 19, although it was good for a last minute change, I wished they went to a different country or part of Thailand instead.
-Hazard in season 19, pointless that's it.
-Doing China and India legs in season 18.
-Not casting a single team from season 13 in the unfinished business.
-The redundant leg prizes in Caribbean with all the boring spas and those stuffs.
-Using touch screens instead of stickers for u-turns. I kind of like it when teams take time to peel them for no reason. lol  :lol:
Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »

TAR 19 had washing elephants + solving puzzle which was hard.. as compared to Bill and Cathi's untangling ropes.

I just want to point out that slide puzzles can easily be solved in less than a minute if you know what you're doing. Way less time than untangling ropes.

But I do think MFE is a much better penalty, they just need to design the leg with it in mind.

addie

« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
Less than a minute? Hell no.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2012, 06:13:57 PM »

IKR. Or untangling ropes. -_- Or making + serving noodles in Vietnam. Or running across firecrackers. TAR 20 had fair Speedbumps that were interesting and doesn't seem ridiculously easy.

TAR 18's Speedbump was just lame and too easy. (Gary and Mallory, only speedbump of the season)

TAR 17: Sitting on ice chair VS cleaning Self-Propelled Howitzers... wth?
TAR 16: Had varying difficulty of SB too, smelly tea VS building trench VS throwing coins for good luck ritual...

There's just so many differing levels of difficulty and I just feel that if the task is generally lame, they should not allow it..

For example, rather than making Josh and Brent EAT TURKISH ICE CREAM, they can make them learn and serve the ICE CREAM to 5 to 10 people. That would make the task so much more interesting!

I wish. The first time I attempted to make Turkish ice cream, it turned out all doughy (supposed to be marshmallowy). That was my only hope of learning what I did wrong in generally the ingredients and time. I was disappointed when they only ate the ice cream.  :(