Author Topic: Things TAR shouldn't have done  (Read 39879 times)

Offline TARismyfavoriteshow

• RFF Jr. Member
  • You can call me Sam
Re: Things TAR shouldn't have done
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »
I agree they shouldn't have had those cruel penalties after non-elimination points. Only the speedbump, or no penalty at all were okay.
They shouldn't have changed Phil's voice over.
They shouldn't have named it the "fast forward". It should have been named a "shortcut"!
I don't miss ESM. When they had the elimination station, that was a better way of showing us behind the scenes stuff.

Offline SoYoung

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »
I agree they shouldn't have had those cruel penalties after non-elimination points. Only the speedbump, or no penalty at all were okay.
They shouldn't have changed Phil's voice over.
They shouldn't have named it the "fast forward". It should have been named a "shortcut"!
I don't miss ESM. When they had the elimination station, that was a better way of showing us behind the scenes stuff.

I agree except for putting away the penalty for NEL. It's unfair if there is no penalty.

Offline JordanJones123

• RFF Full Member
  • Jet and Cord should have won!
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
A few have already been mentioned but here goes.

1. Eric and Lisa's elimination - I would be fuming if I had made it onto TAR, a once in a lifetime opportunity to travel the world and see amazing places, only to be eliminated 10mins in. (On this, I hope TAR realises there cruelty and brings them back for All-Stars) (I was surprised they didnt make it onto unfinished business, they have the most unfinished business in history!)
2. Bilal and Sa'eeds elimination - Similar to above... Except this time, it was a taxi drivers fault!
3. Family Edition - Not much more needs to be added here.
4. Make seasons 12 and 13 only 11 legs - These 2 seasons had pretty good routes, some good teams, and yet they had the shortest amount of legs! Was far to short.
5. Stop venturing into regional areas - Ok, this one isnt as factual, but I feel as if TAR has stopped venturing into the lesser known places of countries, and is only concerned with seeing the big cities. I loved TAR originally because it showcased so many places I would have never heard of if I didnt watch the show. Nowadays, I feel as if there just revisiting cities, and trying to visit the most amount of countries in one season, as oppose to visiting a smaller number of countries, but seeing the lesser known side of these cities. I want more obscure locations, more unheard of mountain ranges, more picturesque, unknown locations!
6. Making TAR so fast paced - I might be getting picky, but i liked TAR in the earlier seasons where it was slow, and showed random footage, like Oswald and Danny shopping before going to the task! Nowadays its all run run run, task task task, pit stop pit stop pit stop! I like seeing what happens along the way
7. Schedule almost all legs for sun/day - Getting really picky but i loved TAR in the earlier seasons, where there were loads of legs at night, challenges at random times and where it rained/snowed a lot! Now it seems that whenever there is a potential night leg, teams pick a number and sleep the night or they wait for dawn. Let there be night legs!
Jet and Cord are still the best!!! Bring them back!

'Maybe God didn't bless me so much with talent, but he gave me try'

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 03:38:34 PM »
The ff in season where Nick and Donald got tatoos.
Yuck, at least hair grows back, tatoos cost to remove.
It was funny that old sailor Don was more hesitant to get a tat than Nick.

Online ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
1. Brendon and Rachel
2. Season 19's non-elimination order (3 in the first 6 legs!)
3. AND MOST OF ALL.... how they got rid of 12/36 hour pit stops! I like seeing what time teams check in. They dont even have them anymore. It seems like CHEATING to bunch up all the teams.

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »
The rappel roadblock in Turin, Italy in Season 20.
The double elimination in Season 19.
The Family Edition. Worst.
The casting of too many teams from Season 14 during the Unfinished Business.
The horrible edit in Season 20.
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline TheWarrior

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
Staying stuck in big cities for 2 consecutive legs *cough* 13, instead of venturing to other parts of the country.

The culturally unchallenging route of 7.

Offline TheWarrior

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »
The Indian legs of 20 felt super slow. Like it was more of a sightseeing trip, given the fact that they chose to stay in the same city for 2 legs.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »
I loved the Indian legs in TAR 20 though.. some really good tasks. I just disliked how TAR 20 is designed in such a way that the team who landed on a NEL on the previous leg hardly had ANY chance of catching up!

Online ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
I loved the Indian legs in TAR 20 though.. some really good tasks. I just disliked how TAR 20 is designed in such a way that the team who landed on a NEL on the previous leg hardly had ANY chance of catching up!

It wasnt the design that was the flawed, it was that nary and jamie and bopper and mark feel so far behind in the previous legs.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2012, 01:36:46 PM »
It was designed in a way that there wasn't any HoO to bunch the teams and give the teams in last place a chance or glimpse of catching up. :res:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »
Personally, I hate NELs followed by non-bunching. Seriously, what's the point? I know that doesn't mean that the team who's last again due to no bunching does not deserve to get eliminated. I just hope that with NELs planned, at least producers give them a chance to equal things out and have a fair shot going into the next leg, when they already have a penalty which they will need to complete.

Online ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
Personally, I hate NELs followed by non-bunching. Seriously, what's the point? I know that doesn't mean that the team who's last again due to no bunching does not deserve to get eliminated. I just hope that with NELs planned, at least producers give them a chance to equal things out and have a fair shot going into the next leg, when they already have a penalty which they will need to complete.

there were ways for the teams to catch up.

leg 8: 2 u-turn (that has always eliminated a team)
leg 10: fast forward, bad taxi drivers

The NEL teams of those legs fell REDICULOUSLY behind all the other teams, farther than ANY TAR EMPLOYEE would have expected. Especially since leg 7 was such a easy leg  :lol3:.

It wasn't the race's fault that they couldn't catch up, it was the racers' themselves.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »
 :res: Some people just don't understand.

IF Nary and Jaime had been U-TURN, they won't have a chance to catch up and they will definitely be eliminated. You call that good planning? They were bound to arrive at the U-TURN board last anyway and have no say as to who gets U-TURNed.

In Mark and Bopper's leg, the Fast Forward wouldn't have gone to them but Brendon and Rachel had it not been a head shaving task. There was just no way they could have reached the FF first before other teams to ensure they get the FF and win the leg. If the leg was designed in such a way that the first team from the previous leg has a say as to whether or not to go for the FF (I can assure you that Art and JJ would go for the FF if they haven't done it!!), then it is not a well-planned leg.

Yes, those teams fell "REDICULOUSLY" behind. BUT, a non-bunching leg following a NEL is what I meant here as a badly planned leg. There was NO WAY these teams could have caught up unless things GO THEIR WAY, for example hoping for Vanessa and Ralph to get U-TURN (which they did) and pray that they get hopelessly lost in a cab. If they plan for a race for random things like this to happen as the only way the last place team could catch up, then it is a "REDICULOUSLY" badly planned leg. Had Nary and Jaime had a chance to beat Vanessa and Ralph, they will be a cruise to the F4, where Brendon and Rachel might be eliminated in 4th in Japan, and we JUST MIGHT be getting an exciting three-way finish to the finishing line.

#justsaying

:res:

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »
I think the pizza was the last task on the finale leg, where teams were sent off to finish a pizza before they will receive their finish line clue.

Makes. No. Sense.
Chicago is famous for the deep dish pizza. Of course it makes sense that they do it there...

My votes go to the Hazard in S15, the double-elimination (would've prevented the overratedness that occur) in S19, and the mid-leg pitstop in S10.

Oh, and I hope they don't bring the Salvage Pass to the US version. Keep it in TARAus only pl0x, TPTB.
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »
I think the pizza was the last task on the finale leg, where teams were sent off to finish a pizza before they will receive their finish line clue.

Makes. No. Sense.
Chicago is famous for the deep dish pizza. Of course it makes sense that they do it there...

My votes go to the Hazard in S15, the double-elimination (would've prevented the overratedness that occur) in S19, and the mid-leg pitstop in S10.

Oh, and I hope they don't bring the Salvage Pass to the US version. Keep it in TARAus only pl0x, TPTB.

Better idea: let's not keep it at all.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2012, 12:26:50 AM »

Makes. No. Sense.

Not on the last leg, as a last task, without even a memory kind of challenge. TAR 7 and TAR 6 had one of the most "boring" finales without any sort of a proper task. Of course TAR 7's one was made controversial by the showdown between U/J and Romber... but TAR 6's one was just... BOO. Especially when Freddy and Kendra won. :gaah:

I actually like the Salvation Pass idea, but I just wished they had a better either/or option for the choices. For example, choose to save the last team, OR choose to have an auto non-elimination protection just for the next leg of the race. Or if they choose to save the team, two teams will be eliminated next leg, and if they choose not to save, they will get maybe 200 more USD (or a sum of money) to use on the race? I mean, we have always seen teams running out of money so this might actually be a variable incentive.. as compared to starting an hour earlier... if you get what I mean.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »

Makes. No. Sense.

Not on the last leg, as a last task, without even a memory kind of challenge. TAR 7 and TAR 6 had one of the most "boring" finales without any sort of a proper task. Of course TAR 7's one was made controversial by the showdown between U/J and Romber... but TAR 6's one was just... BOO. Especially when Freddy and Kendra won. :gaah:

I actually like the Salvation Pass idea, but I just wished they had a better either/or option for the choices. For example, choose to save the last team, OR choose to have an auto non-elimination protection just for the next leg of the race. Or if they choose to save the team, two teams will be eliminated next leg, and if they choose not to save, they will get maybe 200 more USD (or a sum of money) to use on the race? I mean, we have always seen teams running out of money so this might actually be a variable incentive.. as compared to starting an hour earlier... if you get what I mean.
I guess that's better. Right now it's just "Ooh! A 30 minute headstart when there's more than likely going to be an equalizer!"

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »

Makes. No. Sense.

I love Chicago a lot and that deep dish pizza final task honestly was very bland and uninteresting. I was not impressed when season 6 did not include the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower. :groan:

I would have been satisfied if they featured a baseball related challenge due to the Chicago Cubs' history in baseball. Even better, since Chicago is called "The Windy City", let the final task become a wind challenge where they have to walk shoeless into a horizontal wind tunnel with slippery floors and grab their final clue while the giant fan blades makes wind towards them at a whopping 60 mph. :lol3: (Lake Michigan humor)

-From a Chicago local

(Not a wishlist, just stating my opinion and what they could have done better on season 6.)  :tup:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:43:03 PM by RachelLeVega »
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2012, 11:07:19 PM »
Apperantily the Salvage Pass has changed (on TARP). Now you can use it in any leg to give yourself a 1/2 an hour credit or save the bottem placing team.

Offline SoYoung

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2012, 01:36:07 AM »
In TARP, the teams used the Salvage Pass 30 minutes before the HOO in Vigan. It opens at 830 am so the first team can enter at 8am. Well it helped them but got ****ed up by an Intersection. :(

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
Bad race ideas:

Season 1: Even though I loved the Joe & Bill leg behind issue in the race, the Alaskan tapestry and trampoline task was bad.
Season 5: United Arab Emirates- did not really enjoy that Dubai leg
Season 6: Deep dish pizza final task
Season 7: Argentinian beef RB in leg 3
Family edition: The only team I found uniquely genuine were the Gaghans and Blacks.  :hearts: cute kids though :hearts:
Season 15: Eric & Lisa and Maria & Tiffany elimination
Season 17: Bangladesh- bad cultural representation
Season 19: Double elimination
Season 20: Casting BBWinner, Rachel Reilly (wannabe Flo)
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Online ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »
Bad race ideas:

Thats my favorite roadblock of ALL TIME!!!  :gaah:

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Bad race ideas:

Season 20: Casting BBWinner, Rachel Reilly (wannabe Flo)

Is this a joke she saved many episodes of the season due to legs being crap.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
Bad race ideas:

Once again, to put things clear about this RB:

1st episode: TAR7 infamous 4kg beef roadblock @ AXN

About the "infamous" 4kg of beef RB in Mendoza, I'm gonna tell something:  they shouldn't start eating the meat.  They should start eating the other stuff, and in the end the meat.  This is how we made it (and that includes the salads).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:groan:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez