Author Topic: Things TAR shouldn't have done  (Read 39877 times)

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Things TAR shouldn't have done
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »
The Jaipur Detour which was essentially panhandle in India or 'ride these heavy bikes a fairly long way and then search through the numerous barrels for a tiny object to trade for your next clue WHY WOULDN'T YOU PANHANDLE?'. Not only am I not a fan of watching people beg for money but I'm most assuredly not a fan of the race design forcing it to be the optimal task.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
The open up a cone and you will find a gnome task in TAR 7. I nearly died watching it. One of the worst Roadblocks EVER.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »
Anyway, product placement is always good.. cause it keeps the show going, but when the product placement becomes a lame task which shouldn't have been part of a Detour/Roadblock.... it is sad.

I like how they incorporated the gnome into TAR 20, where they have to slide the gnome across the ice rink to get their clue. That should be at least how it's done. Not instead dig up 50 holes and ask teams to find the random limited gnomes. Sounds really hard right? :stare

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
Having Phil spend twenty seconds explaining the cultural relevance of each task. Show, don't tell.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 08:18:30 PM »
Having Phil spend twenty seconds explaining the cultural relevance of each task. Show, don't tell.

I learn many things in TAR through this, so I think I'd rather have him have time in discussing (but not more than 20 seconds though) :p
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02:18 PM »
How about that cookie detour in malyasia in All Stars. yes it made for some great TV of charla and mirna but reminded me of chocolate thing in S5... another terrible task

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
The calling home at the finish line in Seasons 10 and 11.

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »
The calling home at the finish line in Seasons 10 and 11.
Why?  :duno:

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2012, 03:40:42 AM »
Eric & Danielle.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 03:53:39 AM »
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
My biggies

They never should have...

Stopped ESM.

Encouraged conflict.

Taken away ES.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »
My biggies

They never should have...

Stopped ESM.

Encouraged conflict.

Taken away ES.

That's why season 16 and season 20 sucked.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »
I agree, Elimination Station was great.

I think TAR shouldn't cast 'wacky' and 'good TV' teams over likeable teams. I think Season 15 was the last time I actually liked more than 2 or 3 teams.

I think Phil shouldn't have changed his narration voice.

Apart from that, I don't have any complaints at all, so they must be doing most stuff right!

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »
Mine would be:

The starting line elimination in Season 15
The Hazard
The non-elimination penalty in seasons 5-7 (wearing nothing but the clothes on your back for the rest of the race and begging for money during the next leg? Really?)

and, of course....

THE FAMILY EDITION, the lamest season ever.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
I agree, Elimination Station was great.

I think TAR shouldn't cast 'wacky' and 'good TV' teams over likeable teams. I think Season 15 was the last time I actually liked more than 2 or 3 teams.

I think Phil shouldn't have changed his narration voice.

Apart from that, I don't have any complaints at all, so they must be doing most stuff right!

Season 17 had SO MANY LIKABLE TEAMS! :lol3:

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
Tasks that require teams to wear silly, non-culturally relevant costumes (e.g. Panto cow in Kazakhstan, naked running in Novosibirsk, kangaroos in Broken Hill). There are far easier ways to elicit cheap thrills (most of which I hate anyway, but I digress).

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 02:22:46 AM »
The insane eating tasks (cough, cough, TAR 7 Argentinian barbeque Roadblock).

The pizza in TAR6  :gaah:.

I find those great! Along with the Caviar TAR5, and the soup in TAR6 too.

I think TAR should have never left lots of legs with no self-driving. Teams have to be prepared to read maps and navigate by themselves. That is a BASIC tool for racing, I think, and there's some times when teams don't drive for legs and legs... That's not good. I want more dramma!

Offline SoYoung

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 04:42:25 AM »
bunching after a hard roadblock.

one of it is during Leg 2 (I'm not sure) of All Stars. D/K got the roadblock fast and some were left behind and they end up bunching in the airport.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 06:15:57 AM »
Another one, when they've put stupid stereotypical greeters to represent places instead of people who just look more normal.  As a British person I was cringing at the guy in the bowler hat, or the one in armour.  It's just silly.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
Another one, when they've put stupid stereotypical greeters to represent places instead of people who just look more normal.  As a British person I was cringing at the guy in the bowler hat, or the one in armour.  It's just silly.
While I understand why that bothers you, if they grabbed a normal looking person for each leg, none of the greeters would be memorable as they'd all look the same somewhat.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 09:05:06 AM »

I think TAR should have never left lots of legs with no self-driving. Teams have to be prepared to read maps and navigate by themselves. That is a BASIC tool for racing, I think, and there's some times when teams don't drive for legs and legs... That's not good. I want more dramma!

I think the pizza was the last task on the finale leg, where teams were sent off to finish a pizza before they will receive their finish line clue.

Makes. No. Sense.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »

I think the pizza was the last task on the finale leg, where teams were sent off to finish a pizza before they will receive their finish line clue.

Makes. No. Sense.

:tup:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »
Tasks that require teams to wear silly, non-culturally relevant costumes (e.g. Panto cow in Kazakhstan, naked running in Novosibirsk, kangaroos in Broken Hill). There are far easier ways to elicit cheap thrills (most of which I hate anyway, but I digress).

I don't mind that, as long as it isn't done too much.  And the running wasn't naked they were in their underwear I think.  :D

Yeh that's what I've said.  I liked the German leg this year because of that.  And AR19 seemed to have more self driving than AR20.

While I understand why that bothers you, if they grabbed a normal looking person for each leg, none of the greeters would be memorable as they'd all look the same somewhat.

I think people do differ quite a lot from place to place in how they look.  And I don't mind them using a specific national costume sometimes [in less modern places perhaps] but I don't want them putting on an act and sounding silly.

Offline cosmophobia

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 12:42:53 AM »

And the worst of all them, the Condor of TAR16.