Author Topic: AR21 Transportation  (Read 82612 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: AR21 Transportation
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
Yes, that works. An alternative is the TGV high-speed train.

Teams appear to be near LeMans, so that has the best train, all the way to CDG 1133 1311.

Nantes is another possibility. It has TGV service to Paris-Montparnasse 0730 0941 or 0900 1115. From there the Air France shuttle bus takes 30 minutes. 

Teams have to get to Rennes about 37 miles from Mont St. Michel. If they reach Rennes before 8am, they can take the 0803 train arriving Paris-Montparnasse at 1022. Then they can get a 30 minute Air France Shuttle bus to CDG.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:48:28 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2012, 08:58:08 PM »
Now that I have had an opportunity to read the new AR21 information, the train origination points presented abovee do not make as much sense as from Tours. That is the center of the chateaux region of the Loire Valley. Her is the best train option:

Dep. 0845 switch at St. Pierre des Cor arrive CDG 1045

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »
We see them leaving the Chateau by car.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »

We see them leaving the Chateau by "The all-new 2013 Ford Escape. The smarter way to get there." (I want my money, Ford :) )

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »

We see them leaving the Chateau by "The all-new 2013 Ford Escape. The smarter way to get there." (I want my money, Ford :) )

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2012, 07:10:24 AM »

8:20 am → 10:30 am CDG-JFK S M T W T F S Air France 22
8:25 am → 12:00 pm CDG-EWR S M T W T F S United 57

I just never realized that Newark was that far from JFK..................

Actually, I just think it is a typo. My two databases show that UA 57 departs at 9:25am and not at 8:25am.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »
If it is today, flights will be in air!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2012, 08:08:55 AM »
Yep....the first flight......AF22 is about 40 minutes away from wheels down at JFK.

BTW, AF22 is an Airbus 380. I just hate it when they change the database after I post....lol
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:30:48 AM by DrRox »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »

8:20 am → 10:30 am CDG-JFK S M T W T F S Air France 22
8:25 am → 12:00 pm CDG-EWR S M T W T F S United 57

I just never realized that Newark was that far from JFK..................

Actually, I just think it is a typo. My two databases show that UA 57 departs at 9:25am and not at 8:25am.
Dr. Rox,

I agree with your concern. My post stated that there is a 820am flight CDG JFK and a 925am flight CDG EWR.

It is 36 miles from JFK to Newark Liberty International Airport, but that includes the Belt Parkway, Verrazano Narrows Bridge and cross-Staten Island expressway. It usually takes at least one hour and in high traffic periods can be a lot more.

Offline marylandboy234

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »
i found a flight

Air Berlin flight  9143 depart Palma de Mallorca at 7:50 am and arrives Tegel at 10:05 am

Air Berlin flight 7248 departs Tegel at 1:00 pm and arrives New York JFK Airport at 3:25 pm

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »
Nice Joey! But unfortunately they arrived earlier....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »

How do you know they didn't use a 2013 Explorer or 2013 Ford Focus?

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »

It is in the Chenonceau pictures. Two identical 2013 Escapes. Coincidence?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2012, 06:35:37 AM »

It is in the Chenonceau pictures. Two identical 2013 Escapes. Coincidence?

Didn't see them. Sorry.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2012, 10:50:43 PM »
The cast announcement today has shaken loose another sighting. From Facebook earlier today:

So glad the word is out. We met Josh and Brent on the Talgo Night Train to Paris in June when they were in the middle of racing and filming. Caroline and I will be watching on the 30th and cheering them on. Spoiler alert, when we met them there were four teams left!

I don't know if this is something we already knew or not, but it appears that the Beekman Boys are in the final four. They are getting one of the largest reactions on Twitter, so that will probably help ratings.  :tup: The fact that the Facebook poster doesn't mention other teams may be bad news for the Beekman Boys though.

Also, I'm not sure we ever nailed down which trains were used in France, so this may help with that.

About the trains, I found this:

The Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train provides overnight train service between France and Spain and Spain and Switzerland and Spain and Italy. Routes and travel times are:

Francisco de Goya - Paris to Madrid and Madrid to Paris 13h 21m
Joan Miro - Paris to Barcelona and Barcelona to Paris 12h 06m
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
The Joan Miro--Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train--Barcelona to Paris makes more sense to me, than Madrid to Paris. Current departure is 21:05 from Barcelona and arrival in Paris at 09:02. Current ticket prices are Gran Class = $338 per person, First Class = $275 per person and Tourist Class = $192 per person in 4 person rooms.

The Francisco de Goya--Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train--Madrid to Paris. Train leaves Madrid at 18:15 and arrives in Paris at 08:27. Current fares are the same as the Barcelona to Paris fares.

I think train choice depends on just what time that production wanted teams to arrive in Paris. I need to look at driving time to the chateaus in the Loire Valley and the times teams were observed there....that might help in determining which train.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2012, 11:37:38 PM »
The cast announcement today has shaken loose another sighting. From Facebook earlier today:

So glad the word is out. We met Josh and Brent on the Talgo Night Train to Paris in June when they were in the middle of racing and filming. Caroline and I will be watching on the 30th and cheering them on. Spoiler alert, when we met them there were four teams left!

I don't know if this is something we already knew or not, but it appears that the Beekman Boys are in the final four. They are getting one of the largest reactions on Twitter, so that will probably help ratings.  :tup: The fact that the Facebook poster doesn't mention other teams may be bad news for the Beekman Boys though.

Also, I'm not sure we ever nailed down which trains were used in France, so this may help with that.

The Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train provides overnight train service between France and Spain and Spain and Switzerland and Spain and Italy. Routes and travel times are:

And I also found this (I hope this is the right one):

MADRID-PARIS
MADRID - Chamartin         19.00
Valladolid                         21.20
Burgos                                 22.21
Vitoria                                 23.39
Poitiers                                   6.21
Blois                                   7.40
PARIS - Bercy station           9.00

BARCELONA-PARIS
BARCELONA - France         21.05
Girona                                 22.17
Figueres                                 22.47
Limoges                                   5.04
Orleans                                   7.40
PARIS - Austerlitz                   9.00

All this services run from Monday to Sunday.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2012, 11:45:38 PM »

And I also found this (I hope this is the right one):

MADRID-PARIS
MADRID - Chamartin         19.00
Valladolid                         21.20
Burgos                                 22.21
Vitoria                                 23.39
Poitiers                                   6.21
Blois                                   7.40
PARIS - Bercy station           9.00

BARCELONA-PARIS
BARCELONA - France         21.05
Girona                                 22.17
Figueres                                 22.47
Limoges                                   5.04
Orleans                                   7.40
PARIS - Austerlitz                   9.00

All this services run from Monday to Sunday.

The Joan Miro--Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train--Barcelona to Paris makes more sense to me, than Madrid to Paris. Current departure is 21:05 from Barcelona and arrival in Paris at 09:02. Current ticket prices are Gran Class = $338 per person, First Class = $275 per person and Tourist Class = $192 per person in 4 person rooms.

The Francisco de Goya--Talgo Elipsos Hotel Train--Madrid to Paris. Train leaves Madrid at 18:15 and arrives in Paris at 08:27. Current fares are the same as the Barcelona to Paris fares.

I think train choice depends on just what time that production wanted teams to arrive in Paris. I need to look at driving time to the chateaus in the Loire Valley and the times teams were observed there....that might help in determining which train.

I checked the Madrid train schedule I posted on a different source to the one where I found the departure and arrival times, and you've got the right one, not me.  In this source, the train leaves from Chamartin at 6.12pm. and arrives to Paris Austerlitz at 9.03am..  :gaah:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
Yeah....both Night Hotel Trains arrive at Paris Austerlitz station.

In Madrid, Night Hotel trains depart from the Madrid Atocha Station.

In Barcelona, Night Hotel trains depart from the Barcelona Estacio de Franca.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:54:58 PM by DrRox »

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2012, 11:50:03 PM »
Anyway, it's a good way to bunch all the teams. :)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2012, 11:59:50 PM »
Anyway, it's a good way to bunch all the teams. :)

That conclusion is certainly possible and probable. Depending on the Pit Start time in Mallorca and flight times, teams could possible get to Madrid and then arrive in Paris about 30 minutes before teams on the Barcelona Night Hotel train.

The spoiler didn't mention seeing any other teams directly, but did comment that there were only 4 teams left at that time. They could have got that information from the Beekman Boys or they could have seen the other 3 teams and just not mentioned that they saw them.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »

The use of Barcelona as the transfer point from plane to train also makes great sense to me. There were 7 flights from Palma de Mallorca the afternoon of June 14. The Ellipsos train schedule that makes sense to me leaves Barcelona-Eastacio de Franca 2043 and arrives Orleans 0716 (note - there is no need to go to Paris since you would just turn around and come back). The smart thing to do (remember AR1) is to get off in Orleans, which is a much shorter distance from Tours than Paris is. The earliest train from Orleans to Tours is 0740 arriving 0856.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:35:25 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »

I agree that Barcelona as the transfer point from plane to train makes much more sense than alternatives. Just look at a map to see why. There are 7 flights from Palma de Mallorca to Barcelona which arrive in time to connect with the following.

The Ellipsos train departs Barcelona at 2047 and arrives Orleans 0716 (note it makes no sense to go all the way to Paris and then come back). The earliest train from Orleans to Tours departs 0740 and arrives 0856. From Tours the major chateaux are easily accessible.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
The question of how to get between Coney Island and Lombardi's Pizza has been carefully analyzed.  I cannot imagine Amazing Racers doing anything but take the New York City subway, as it is far faster than any alternate form of transportation. There are four subway lines at Coney Island (D, F, D, Q) and all go to Manhattan and make a stop at Canal St. That is a small bit south of but about equidistant from two different stations titled Prince. The Canal St. station is a short walk to 32 Prince St. where Lombardi's Pizza is located.

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
Just putting it out there, but i think it is possible for Tar to have taken the bus or train from Moscow to Riga.
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.