Author Topic: AR21 Transportation  (Read 82608 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: AR21 Transportation
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »
I know. I have been looking!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »
On June 6, Dr. Rox stated:

That flight is BG  85   2:40pm--4:35 pm. on June 2, 2012.
Now arrival into Singapore was reportedly at 935am. So why would teams wait around in Singapore Changi to get the late evening flight to Dhaka? Why wouldn't they take BG85 (which did leave 40 minutes and actual arrival time was not known)? The only reason I can think of is that there were not sufficient seats on the flight SUB SIN. We'll see soon enough. 

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2012, 12:30:46 AM »
apskip.......here is my complete posting on June 6. Note the first part was correcting your misassumption of flights on June 3......

quote author=DrRox link=topic=27208.msg762277#msg762277 date=1338969331]
I want to keep up with the missing transportation segments of AR21m as best I can. Here is what the choices were Singapore to Dhaka with the assumption of 3 June as the date:

You just transposed the date wrong, apskip. I doubt (and I think you will agree) that it is highly improbable that teams would fly from Surabaya to Singapore on June 2 and then fly from Singapore to Dhaka on June 3.....here is your orginal post about a connection SIN>DAC on the afternoon of June 2.

OK, if it was arrival Singapore at 925am 2 June, then it makes sense to look at where teams might have gone if they flew onward from SIN (which I expect they did do). Unfortunately, it gets complicated beyond the powers of reasonable analysis.

2pm - 3pm
DAC

That flight is BG  85   2:40pm--4:35 pm. on June 2, 2012.....it does not fly on June 3, 2012, btw.

So it is possible that teams arrived in Dhaka @ approx 5:00 pm on June 2, to finish Leg 4 in late afternoon/early evening.....or better would be to have an HoO and finish middle of the day on June3. Then pit stop till morning of June 4......and most of the day for Leg 5........then pit stop release about noon on June 5. That would give teams two flight options to get to Dubai...
4H 591  5:15pm---8:35pm
EK 585  9:30pm---12:58 am (June 6)

We know from the pilot's tweet that some teams were on the EK 585 flight.....but we just don't know how many.
[/quote]

From all the promo evidence, it appears that ALL the teams were competing at the same approx time of day......so whether teams were distributed on both/either BG85 or SQ446 or restricted to just SQ446, there does appear to be a HoO upon arrival in Dhaka and teams compete on morning of June3 to finish Leg 4.

I have always wondered if Biman Bangladesh Airlines is one of the airlines that WRP has blacklisted. It has come up several times in flight searches as a possible carrier, but never used.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:14:25 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2012, 04:04:29 AM »
I have always wondered if Biman Bangladesh Airlines is one of the airlines that WRP has blacklisted. It has come up several times in flight searches as a possible carrier, but never used.

I think it is. It is notorious for being unsafe (but has only had one or two crashes) and the UN has said that they 'advise their staff not to use Biman and the people that ignore this warning will be flying at their own risk'.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
Lots of interesting things in Leg 5 episode.
1) The pit stop release appears, to me, to be in Surabaya.
2) Another late night travel agency. Seems the racers, at least the first two teams, went to the same one.
3) There is no 10 o'clock Singapore Airlines flight from Surabaya to Singepore. There is a Silkair, MI221, that is also listed as a codeshare for Singapore Airlines. It did arrive in Singapore with time to make the early Birman Banglasesh flight connection to Dhaka.
4) It looked to me that all of the TAR team, racers and crews, were allowed to pre-board. The airliner is a wide body jet. You can tell by the two aisles.
5) Both the Birman Banglasesh and Singapore Air flights from Singapore to Dhaka were wide body jets.
6) Only the very early China Airlines (CI752) flight at 6 am from Surabaya to Singapore was a wide body aircraft. The 10 am Silkair MI221 fight (Singapore codeshare) was a small body, single aisle, aircraft.
7) The interior of the jet the teams were seen entering seemed pretty austere to me. It did not look like what I would think a Singapore Airlines aircraft would look like. It seemed pretty bare bones, as a matter of fact, which I would think would suggest another airline.

There was a sign highlighted for just a second, just before Abbie/Ryan exited thier cab at the travel agency. Maybe some of the screen grabbers will find that sign and we might be able to locate the travel agency.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »
The head cloth on the seats indicates Singapore Airlines

This was capped as Teams boarded their flight from SUB.  But that does not mean this is the plan they flew out of SUB on!

We already know from race-time spoilers that they were on CI 752 SUB to SIN on June 2nd.  That aircraft was an Airbus 330-300 under China Air.  The key point of the screen cap is that the flight from SIN to DAC now has to be Singapore Airlines SQ 446 leaving at 8:37 pm and arriving at 10:35 pm.  And that flight was also an Airbus 330-300.  The wide body seating configuration of the 330-300 matches what we saw in the show.

My guess would be that they all had to wait inside the airport until the morning of June 3rd.  It has to be the morning because Abbie's wrist watch says 10:50 as they are hunting for the fish at the Kawran Bazaar Shootkir Market.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:18:30 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2012, 07:58:29 AM »
Good eye on the head cloth, Chateau. Your conclusions are pretty much what I had decided. I wonder why the production ruse at the travel agency with the talk of the 10:00 am flight? I dont really get that. I have my own theories about the midnight travel agencies we see all the time in TAR.

Keeping teams at the Dhaka airport is certainly a possibllity....but why not just take them to a hotel for the night and then back to airport for fake exit the next morning. It was pretty obviously going to be a very long day and TAR has practice teams do the course before real teams arrive. It was not far from sundown when Gary/Will checked in with Phil. The shot over Phil's shoulder has a great shot of the sun, very low on the horizon. This was certainly not one of the 3-4 hour legs.

No hotel in the terminal,  but the Dhaka Regency is 2-3 minutes away and the Radisson is 4-5 minutes from terminal.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:50:56 PM by DrRox »

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
Good eye on the head cloth, Chateau. Your conclusions are pretty much what I had decided. I wonder why the production ruse at the travel agency with the talk of the 10:00 am flight? I dont really get that. I have my own theories about the midnight travel agencies we see all the time in TAR.

I wouldn't be surprised if the travel agency sold them the 10.00 flight because it made the whole flight cheaper and didn't affect their ultimate arrival time. But when teams arrived at the airport and saw an earlier flight they all switched to that. This is howerver pure speculation.

/MaF

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »
Lots of interesting things in Leg 5 episode.
1) The pit stop release appears, to me, to be in Surabaya.
2) Another late night travel agency. Seems the racers, at least the first two teams, went to the same one.
3) There is no 10 o'clock Singapore Airlines flight from Surabaya to Singepore. There is a Silkair, MI221, that is also listed as a codeshare for Singapore Airlines. It did arrive in Singapore with time to make the early Birman Banglasesh flight connection to Dhaka.
4) It looked to me that all of the TAR team, racers and crews, were allowed to pre-board. The airliner is a wide body jet. You can tell by the two aisles.
5) Both the Birman Banglasesh and Singapore Air flights from Singapore to Dhaka were wide body jets.
6) Only the very early China Airlines (CI752) flight at 6 am from Surabaya to Singapore was a wide body aircraft. The 10 am Silkair MI221 fight (Singapore codeshare) was a small body, single aisle, aircraft.
7) The interior of the jet the teams were seen entering seemed pretty austere to me. It did not look like what I would think a Singapore Airlines aircraft would look like. It seemed pretty bare bones, as a matter of fact, which I would think would suggest another airline.

There was a sign highlighted for just a second, just before Abbie/Ryan exited their cab at the travel agency. Maybe some of the screen grabbers will find that sign and we might be able to locate the travel agency.

I think that all teams were on MI221 SUB SIN 1000 1304 connecting to BG85 1515 1635 on June 2. T^his is what the travel agency people said, so why would that be jury-rigged? Sunset in Dhaka on June 2 was at 1935, which gave 3 hours to complete the tasks.   

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
Here are two caps, see if they help:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »
I think I found it, Haryono Tours & Travel PTY LTD:

I'm checking extra data, but has the same name, it's based on Surabaya and the logo matches with the one in the first cap.

According to their FB page, this is the adress in Surabaya:  Sulawesi 27-29, Surabaya 60281
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:06:18 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2012, 10:30:31 AM »
I ask whether teams would have gone past the Surabaya airport and all the way into Surabaya. It doesn't seem logical to me.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »
According to their own website, they have offices on Surabaya, Malang, Semarang and Jakarta.  If it's right, the closest office to Bangil - not counting Surabaya - is Malang (always based on the website's info).
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
I ask whether teams would have gone past the Surabaya airport and all the way into Surabaya. It doesn't seem logical to me.

If the teams were directed to the travel agency (given the nighttime release from the pit stop), then it wouldn't matter whether the airport was closer to the pit stop or not. And since the earliest flight they could take wasn't until 10:00 am., per the comments on air, the distance wouldn't matter.

The one thing I'm wondering is whether the neon signage we were shown in the episode is present at the Surabaya location mentioned above. The logo may be the same, but I did not see anything in the above photo of that location that looks the same as the storefront shown in the episode.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »

If the teams were directed to the travel agency (given the nighttime release from the pit stop), then it wouldn't matter whether the airport was closer to the pit stop or not. And since the earliest flight they could take wasn't until 10:00 am., per the comments on air, the distance wouldn't matter.

The one thing I'm wondering is whether the neon signage we were shown in the episode is present at the Surabaya location mentioned above. The logo may be the same, but I did not see anything in the above photo of that location that looks the same as the storefront shown in the episode.

The pic I posted is the one at the travel agency website (in fact, it's the only one), so we don't know if it's from Surabaya, Jakarta or one of the other cities where they've got offices.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »
Apskip, just in case there was any doubt in your mind that the Teams spent the night at the Dhaka airport and started leg 4 on the morning of June 3rd:  Ryan Danz Blog

Starting with the airport, where I slept prior to my excursion into the city the following morning, I was reduced to prisoner status in a room only slightly larger than the lunchroom in a small jail.  It was one of those rooms that had antiquated fluorescent lighting bouncing off the linoleum tiled floor, mismatched benches of varying colors (mostly orange) and old box televisions that hung over head and ran the state political news. In Arabic. Very loudly.  On a loop. In the rear of the terminal was a make-shift mosque, where ongoing prayer services took place. Next to the prayer room, the bathrooms. There was no air conditioning, and in a country that reaches 120 degrees Fahrenheit by 10:00am, it wasn’t much less in the jail cell of a terminal.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
"Haryono Tours & Travel PTY LTD" has three offices in Surabaya.

Corporate Head Office at   JL. Sulawesi 27-29 Surabaya 60281 (close to the CBD)

and two branch offices at

1)  JL. Panglima Sudirman 93-II  Surabaya 60271 (far, far NW of city central)

2)  Rich Palace blok C no 8   JL. Mayjend Sungkono  Surabaya  (SSW of city central)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:49:28 PM by DrRox »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
Strategies for plane flights provided the key drama for episode 7 and certainly the rationale for differential performance. Arriving at Attaturk International Airport in Istanbul, teams were faced with a wealth of choices on how to get to Moscow on June 7 or 8.

The best one, probably full or not available to any team, was TK415 nonstop to Moscow's Vvnukovo airport (not one of the "big 2" for Moscow arrivals) at 1707 2142. No team chose this route. Later on the same route was TK419 2323 0348+1.

Ryan/Abbie and Brent/Josh chose to fly through Frankfurt, which is notorious for having close connections result in failure (remember Uchella and Joyce in AR11). If their flight had arrived on time they had ample time for the connection. However, their flight had to have been TK1587 2232 2228, which arrived about one hour late and caused the connection on Aeroflot to be missed. They ended up having to reroute through Warsaw with FRA WAW LH1346 0731+1 0901+1 connecting to WAW SVO SU2001 1110+1 1502+1.

James/Jaymes and James/Abba decided on Amsterdam Schiphol for their connection and it was scheduled as close as the other one but came off without any issues. FRA AMS KL1674 1701 1948 connecting to KL807 2104 0201+1.

Trey/Lexi and Nadiya/Natalie went with a connection in Munich: TK1637 IST MUC 2016 2155 connecting to SU2325 2330 0254+1.   

An interesting question is why Ryan/Abbie and Brent/Josh did not take the flight to Moscow's Dodomedovo airport FRA DME LH1444 0733+1 1230+1. That arrived 2.5 hours ahead of the connection they took, adequate time to negotiate the Moscow subway system and come out ahead. My guess is that World Race Productions had issued a directive to fly not just to Moscow but only to Sheremetyevo airport
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:11:33 PM by apskip »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
Have teams ever flown into Moscow from outside Russia without using Sheremetyevo? IIRC, production has to use Sheremetyevo because of their equipment, and have to leave Russia from the same airport.

I was also surprised that teams did not seem to check the status of their flights out of Istanbul to see if there might be any delays. Teams should have been able to check and take action if they got information before boarding. (That first flight departing to Frankfurt was sitting in Istanbul, I assume, so I think that is a legitimate question to ask.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »
My guess is that World Race Productions had issued a directive to fly not just to Moscow but only to Sheremetyevo airport

In think you are right on the money here. In the episode we actually hear Abba say "We're trying to get into Moscow, Sheremetyevo", when asking for flights in Istanbul.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #170 on: November 13, 2012, 03:39:51 AM »
SVO is bigger than both DME and VKO though.

Also Aeroflot has its hub there.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2012, 11:20:18 AM »
I am trying to guesstimate the disadvantage Ryan and Abbie incurred with inability to make the same flight as the rest of the teams out of Moscow.

The flights that 4 teams took on June 10 or 11 were probably SU2550 SVO AMS 1103 1220 Saturday and 1105 1231 Sunday.

The flights Ryan and Abbie got were probably through Frankfurt, SU2300 1125 1239 Saturday or 1133 1347 Sunday.
The killer is that the connecting flight is LH992, which on Saturday was 1343 1409 but on Sunday was 1434 1558. That means Ryan/Abbie would start with not quite 2 hours to make up if it was on June 10 but 3.5 hours to make up if it was June 11.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »
Moscow (SVO) to Amsterdam (AMS) flights.........

Chips direct
SU 2250  10:45 am to 12:15pm(booked)   11:05am to 12:31pm(actual)

Trey/Lexie via Larnaca, Cyprus
1) SU 2070  6:01am to 8:20am
2) CY 498    9:20am to 1:05 pm

N and N via Rome
1) AZ 595   5:50am-7:45am
2) AZ 108   8:55am to 11:30am (booked)   9:10am-11:43am (actual)

Abbie/Ryan via Frankfurt
1) SU 2306  9:26am to 10:41am
2) WA 1766 11:21am to 12:39pm  (missed connection--it left 9 minutes early)
3) LH  992   12:55pm to 2:05pm   (per episode canceled, mechanical problem, it actually flew later that day)
4) WA 1768  2:34pm to 3:47pm

Farmers  via Oslo
1) SU 2230  11:22am to 11:38am
2) KL 1146   2:25pm to 4:05 pm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:04:26 AM by DrRox »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2012, 08:58:18 PM »
Trains leave Schiphol Airport for Amsterdam Centraal station all morning, afternoon and evening with a frequency of every 15 to 20 minutes. Th trip takes about 15 minutes.

Schiphol would also surely be the "outlying station" you refer to, Dr. Rox. It could be other large cities in the Netherlands such as Rotterdam/The Hague, Eindhoven or Groningen. However. few if any of them have any direct flights from Eastern Europe.

apskip....I think you have been smokin some bad caca tonight. Schipol is not an outlying station. For gods sake it, is in an Amsterdam surburb as you well know. No, you have no idea what my outlying station is......simpley because I dont know what it is..........so maybe you should stop trying to intrepret other people's ideas and stick to your own.....as wrong as they are most of the time.

Hmm! What does episode 9 tell us? Was it really some "outlying station" not to include the obvious Schiphol Airport?  Who is smoking bad caca?

However, I am equally guilty. take a look at post 142 in this thread which stated my belief that all 5 teams should be using nonstop flights from Sheremetyevo to Amsterdam.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:16:54 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »
I have gone back to look at the ferry schedules for Tuesdays (and probably almost everyday) Palma to Barcelona. There are numerous flights throughout the day. There are only 2 mid-day ferries which will get to Barcelona in time for the Talgo train:

Acciona 1200 1930
Balearia 1239 1945