Author Topic: TAR 21 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**  (Read 406278 times)

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 21 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**
« Reply #1000 on: October 02, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »
Right. So. Limiting ourselves to Europe (as opposed to specifically the Netherlands), here's the Road Block list:

S1 - Eiffel Tower, Sewers, SmartCar
S2 - none
S3 - Highland Games, Penalty Kick, Rescue Cable, William Tell, Bicycle Assembly
S4 - Masquerade Ball, Bungy, Le Mans, Eels
S5 - Caviar
S6 - Zipline, Haybales, Soapbox Derby, Reverse Bungy, Soup, Wine Stomp
S7 - Fortress (which took place in the European part of Istanbul), Bus Driving
S8 - none
S9 - Diving, Gnomes, Statue Puzzle, Kayak Polo, Bungy
S10 - Limestone Mine, Tank, Skydive
S11 - Knight
S12 - Highwire Bike, Fierljeppen, Messenger, Brick Wall, Ultralight
S13 - Flour, Statue Count
S14 - Bungy, Paraglide, Gymnastics, Toboggan, Underpants Jog
S15 - Bells, [Haybales], Candelabra, Mandolin, Franz
S16 - Bungy, Abseil
S17 - Trebuchet, Dogsled, Abseil
S18 - Chimney, Liechtenstein, Chocolate
S19 - Renaissance Dancing, Bicycle/Quote, Test Drive
S20 - Abseil, Curling

Take out everything you couldn't replicate in the Netherlands, and that would make absolutely no sense to copy:

S1 - SmartCar
S3 - Penalty Kick, Bicycle Assembly
S4 - Eels
S6 - Haybales
S7 - Bus Driving
S10 - Tank, Skydive
S11 - Knight
S12 - Fierljeppen, Messenger, Ultralight
S13 - Flour
S15 - Bells
S17 - Trebuchet
S19 - Renaissance Dancing, Bicycle/Quote, Test Drive

Now take out anything that couldn't be considered either "infamous" or "hilarious" after its first appearance, even if it was Dutch:

S6 - Haybales
S7 - Bus Driving
S11 - Knight
S17 - Trebuchet

The haybales have been a Switchback before, so we can rule it. Though it's the obvious choice I doubt CBS would risk letting them to the trebuchet task again, so we're down to two. Neither the bus driving nor the knight Road Block are infamous enough to justify being called "infamous", so my only possible conclusion is that either it's not in the Netherlands, OR it's not a Road Block they're copying. Certainly wouldn't be the first time CBS has made mistakes with their publicity.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1001 on: October 02, 2012, 10:08:52 PM »
I have a new thought, one that requires giving up the concept of a Throwback being a ROADBLOCK. After the ditch-vaulting, teams had to travel to the Durgerdam Yacht club. Once there, they had to ride a bakfiets (cargo bicycle) to the next Pit Stop. That looks a little like the cyclos in Vietnam. Maybe that is our Throwback.

I am bit bit tired of the speculation on this. I hope somebody figures it out.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1002 on: October 02, 2012, 10:31:18 PM »
The problem is that the truly hilarious task that took place in the Netherlands wasn't a roadblock, it was a detour. TAR 4's poop pile. We've had tasks recycled from being a detour to a roadblock before in other Races, and we can also assume that given the Fast Forward Switchback last season, TPTB aren't unafraid of relocating tasks for a Switchback.
If we aren't limited in this way, then I would think that would be the task. I suspect though we're going to need more information from the show before we can piece this together. And I agree apskip, it is frustrating.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #1003 on: October 02, 2012, 10:42:44 PM »
The problem is that the truly hilarious task that took place in the Netherlands wasn't a roadblock, it was a detour. TAR 4's poop pile. We've had tasks recycled from being a detour to a roadblock before in other Races, and we can also assume that given the Fast Forward Switchback last season, TPTB aren't unafraid of relocating tasks for a Switchback.
If we aren't limited in this way, then I would think that would be the task. I suspect though we're going to need more information from the show before we can piece this together. And I agree apskip, it is frustrating.

The pattern of the previous switchbacks tends to repeat the same tasks.  And about the FF Switchback, they changed the cities every time, you're right, but all of them in the same country, India. 
Anyway, I agree with you and apskip too about how frustrating all this thing is.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1004 on: October 03, 2012, 01:40:45 AM »
It's possible also that they could be recycling the Farmer's Game/Farmer's Dance Detour, and somebody at CBS made a ballsup. It's certainly "infamous", and with farmer's golf, the mallet game, Matt refusing to eat the soused herring, and the Globetrotters in wacky costumes, I can see how Phil would find it "hilarious".

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1005 on: October 03, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »
This is what I found untill now on the Baleares leg:

1.- SIGHTINGS:

Reply #378, June 13
He says he got to get up early but is worthy. Amazing Race filming!... he's from Spain  .. i think it would be ok to keep an eye in Spain just in case, considering it could be a great location to go back to the US.

Edited!

Reply #379, June 13
Translation: Well  early start but worth it. Filming Amazing Race!

Let this be true.

Reply #381, June 13
Could they be on the island of Ibiza, off the coast of Spain?

Taking part in a detour for an "amazing race".. HAHA LOLL

posted 9:53 a.m. Central.

The kid appears to be from Ibiza.

Reply #382, June 13
Could they be on the island of Ibiza, off the coast of Spain?

Or perhaps on the nearby island of Mallorca.

que sepáis que la gente de The Amazing Race han estado grabando esta mañana en Mallorca :-) http://bit.ly/KF6BFp
10:24 AM - 13 Jun 12

you know that the people of The Amazing Race have been shooting this morning in Mallorca

Reply #383, June 13
I found some in twitter, the amazing race shooting in Mallorca, Spain  :luvya:

pues yo pienso ver la S21, hoy están en Mallorca. Mi cuñado ha participado en la grabación de una prueba taurina esta mañana.

translate ::

because I think seeing the S21, are now in Mallorca. My *** has been involved in recording a taurine test this morning.

* i late post few seconds from Dallas :groan:

Reply #390, June 13
@czarinaKTA
Amazing Race project in Baillie's!

-------------------------------

Baillie´s gardens are a company in Majorca!

12:19 CT/US

I guess we should dismiss this one as there are more Baillie's-everything in the States and she doesn't seem to be in Spain.

Reply #393, June 14
K DUFTY P HEYE ‏@BigKeegsHeye

gave directions to contestants on the Amazing Race. #welcometomycity #wishiwaswearingwescrewgear

Tweeter is in Mallorca

Reply #404, June 15
I have a post from one of the members of my TAR fans group in spanish, who was with Phil in Baleares.  He said he has pictures with him.  I'm trying to contact him for more info.

(Specifically, he said he met him in Ibiza.) :yess:

Reply #405, June 15
I have a post from one of the members of my TAR fans group in spanish, who was with Phil in Baleares.  He said he has pictures with him.  I'm trying to contact him for more info.

(Specifically, he said he met him in Ibiza.) :yess:

Ok, here's his quote:

"Por cierto, aún no salgo de mi asombro!!! ME ENCONTRÉ A PHIL GRABANDO TAR 21 EN IBIZA!!!!!!!!!!!"

TRANSLATION:  "By the way, I already can't get over my astonishment! I found Phil recording TAR 21 in Ibiza!"

Reply #410, June 16.
I meant where in Ibiza, lol. Do your best! Great find!

Ok.  He didn't answer me yet, because one of our group rules is not to give spoilers, so I send him a new message with info about Amsterdam leg to let him know that is not that case.
But after some other member requirement, he suggestes it was on Ibiza's beach, and he take photos not only from Phil, but of the teams doing one of the tasks.  He also wrote that WRP almost took his cell phone while doing this.

2.- SPECULATIONS AND SPOILERS:

Reply #651, June 13
Mallorca looks quite real. Bullfighting?

Reply #653, June 13
Mallorca looks quite real. Bullfighting?

Palma has a bullring named Coliseo balear in spanish (Balearic Colliseum)
Here's a pic of it and the location:

Reply #655, June 13
@czarinaKTA
Amazing Race project in Baillie's!

-------------------------------

Baillie´s gardens are a company in Majorca!

12:19 CT/US

I guess we should dismiss this one as there are more Baillie's-everything in the States and she doesn't seem to be in Spain.

There's a "Jonathan Baillie Gardens", but is based not in Mallorca, it's in Menorca, another of the island of the Baleares.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1006 on: October 03, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
Thank you so much, that is a HUGE help!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1007 on: October 03, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »
All the info I can see about Jonathan Baillie and "Jonathan Baillie's Gardens", keep pointing me towards Menorca and, specifically, to the Alaoir municipality on that island.  So that makes TAR sightings in 3 different parts of the Baleares archipelago.
So...  :helpme     :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1008 on: October 03, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »
All the info I can see about Jonathan Baillie and "Jonathan Baillie's Gardens", keep pointing me towards Menorca and, specifically, to the Alaoir municipality on that island.  So that makes TAR sightings in 3 different parts of the Baleares archipelago.
So...  :helpme     :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jonathan Baillie is simply a freelance garden designer in Menorca, there are no actual beautiful gardens or anything.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #1009 on: October 04, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »

It is about 85km and an 80 minute drive from Castell Bellver to the Cap Formentero Lighthouse.
Matthew 7:15

Offline gigglypiggies

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1010 on: October 05, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
What do you guys think that the "bold move" will be that could cost a team elimination? A u turn maybe? It is kinda early for that...

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1011 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:21 AM »
Last night's episode AND last week's episode, the Pit Stop greeter said 'goodbye' to one of the teams in the country's respective language.
I don't know if producers have asked greeters to do this to make things more cultural, OR it could be a possible memory task for the final Leg ('goodbye' in every language of every country you visited on the racer), thoughts?

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #1012 on: October 08, 2012, 01:02:28 AM »
Last night's episode AND last week's episode, the Pit Stop greeter said 'goodbye' to one of the teams in the country's respective language.
I don't know if producers have asked greeters to do this to make things more cultural, OR it could be a possible memory task for the final Leg ('goodbye' in every language of every country you visited on the racer), thoughts?
I have thought about that too!
But, TAR Aus have asked the greeters to say 'welcome' in their language. So, I don't know if this is done in order to make thing more cultural or something.
It's gonna be good memory challenge, though.
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1013 on: October 08, 2012, 01:09:38 AM »
I have thought about that too!
But, TAR Aus have asked the greeters to say 'welcome' in their language. So, I don't know if this is done in order to make thing more cultural or something.
It's gonna be good memory challenge, though.
It's not that the greeters are just saying it, but the subtitles in both English and the language are shown to us as well. It could be just a new addition, but I'm hoping they're saving it for a memory task. In TAR19, they showed us the outlines of the countries in the teams' clues, which ended up being a hint to the memory challenge  ;)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1014 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »
Nice spotting!  :tup: If it happens in Ep3, I'd call it a lock.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1015 on: October 08, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »
If they did it with all the teams, it's going to be a good memory task; specially if they can't use any reminder (i.e., paper notes) to perform it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:50:48 AM by Alenaveda »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1016 on: October 08, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
It would be impossible to use for a memory task unless every team is hearing it on the mat after they finish talking with Phil. If it is just the eliminated teams, then the other teams would not have heard it. On the other hand, the editors have been showing the greeter greet the first and last team for 20 plus seasons now, so it is possible they are just making an editorial change, just like with the clue containers a couple of seasons ago and the loss of the pit stop sign showing the location. (Both of which reduced the cost of shipping the signage and the clue boxes from location to location.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:50:08 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1017 on: October 08, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
It might turn out to be really easy in the end, given how "Hola," "Au revoir," "Ni hao," and "Da svidania" have sort of become general knowledge, and even referenced in popular culture?

Folks are probably just going to trip up between Turkey, Bangladesh and Indonesia, I think.

addie

« Reply #1018 on: October 08, 2012, 01:15:41 PM »
The Netherlands is "tot ziens"

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1019 on: October 08, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »
It might turn out to be really easy in the end, given how "Hola," "Au revoir," "Ni hao," and "Da svidania" have sort of become general knowledge, and even referenced in popular culture?

Folks are probably just going to trip up between Turkey, Bangladesh and Indonesia, I think.

"Hola" is the opposite, it's a welcoming word.  The right one is "Adiós".

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1020 on: October 08, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
Both "hello" and "goodbye" were subtitled (and hence could be "tested"). I was just picking and choosing for illustration. "Ni hao" is "hello" too.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1021 on: October 08, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
But you maybe hit the nail on it, Neobie.  It's more reasonable if they use the welcoming words, than the farewell ones (as I said previously, if the did it with all the teams).

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1022 on: October 09, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Thanks for those photos Slowhatch!

theschnauzers, I am sure the Pit Stop greeter says it to every team, but on TV we only get the greeter saying it to one team :)
I saw this on twitter, and I am starting to get my hopes up!

Erlangga Rizki ‏@ERFrizki
@PhilKeoghan phil, I just noticed that the greeters are filmed with goodbye phrase in corresponding language, for what purpose actually? :o
Expand   Reply  Retweet  Favorite

6h Phil Keoghan ‏@PhilKeoghan
Keep watching:) RT @ERFrizki phil, I just noticed that the greeters are filmed with goodbye phrase in corresponding language...?#AmazingRace
 Hide conversation   Reply  Retweet  Favorite

:o  :o  :o

If this DOES end up being a memory challenge at the end, I think teams will have to listen to different greetings and identify which ones they heard along the race. I think it will be something along the lines of that.

But I still want a memory challenge that involves the 'new' clue boxes!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:54:38 AM by supah3ro »

Offline Heliox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1023 on: October 10, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
Good thinking about the final task relating to the greeters language.

I also noticed that they are showing Jaymes speaking small phrases of the native languages in both countries. I wonder if this is part of the story, if the final task is related to language.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1024 on: October 13, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »
Episode 4 title:

Tell Peach and the others that I'm not a newbie, I am an absentee contributor.

I say the Chippendales will gonna say that. :lol: