Author Topic: TAR 21 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**  (Read 407261 times)

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
Re: TAR 21 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**
« Reply #500 on: June 09, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »
Moscow to Egypt sounds WAY too TAR5-ish... Please, not now.

I think a Europe (2-3 leg) route now would be great!

1) There is too much civil unrest in Egypt.....it is not an option.

2) There are already IN Europe......

I know they ARE in Europe. But the thing is that people are saying: "Africa would be great"... Not yet, please. I say I want Europe next, and that's what I figure out... I think it should go now.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #501 on: June 09, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
Since TAR is in Moscow.......I just want to repost one of Neobie's observations about TAR/WRP travel to Russia.

TAR/WRP always flies out of Russia from the same city they fly into Russia.

So I would completely discount any train trips involving leaving Russia. I have no doubt that they will fly out of Moscow. I would also bet that they fly out of SVO, if that is how they got to Moscow from Istanbul. I plan to try to do more research, but to me, not only the same city, but always the same airport. With St Petersburg, there is no problem because there is only one airport. But Moscow is different....it has two major international airports. SVO and DME. But in all the TAR episodes there, that I have been following the spoilers........I can never remember at any time, teams arriving at DME...........only SVO.  It will be a fun exercise to try to pull up the old info and see if any resolution of this hypothesis can be determined.

One good example of this hypothesis is TAR14. Teams flew to the Asian part of Russia, east of the Urals, for two legs. The legs were in Krasnoyarsk and Novosibirsk. They took the TransSiberian Train from Krasnoyarsk to Novosibirst. For those that remember, Novosibirsk is where Phil ran down the street in his skivvies. They then went to India. There was a very easy flight from Novosibirsk to Delhi.......but instead they all few back all the way to Moscow and left the country through SVO.

In our discussions, Neobie and I came to the conclusion that there must be some kind of restriction on TAR to fly out the same way they came in. This might be due to the commerical nature of their time in Russia.....maybe a desire to view filmed coverage........or just restriction on making sure they take all the same equipment out of Russia that they took in. It is really hard to know exactly......but they always follow the same pattern when going to Russia.

Did this apply to TAR13?

It gets tricky!

It did; they just used different airports (entering via SVO, leaving via DME).

And regarding Africa as a penultimate destination (as in the last leg or two) - Accra, Addis Ababa, Casablanca, Cairo, Dakar, Johannesburg all have direct flights to the US (so does Lagos, but I don't think TAR would go to Nigeria right now). Most curious is direct service from the Cape Verdes to Boston  (though that flight arrives at night so it might not be the best choice for a final flight unless connecting to somewhere else).

Maybe we'll finish in the Eastern time zone for a change.  :hoot:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #502 on: June 09, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
What direct flights are you showing Addis to USA? I have not found any on a weekend anyway...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #503 on: June 09, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »
Peach,

I get for June 16 or 17:
JFK - none
BOS - none
IAD - none
ATL - none
MCO - none

This is a complete strikeout all the way down the Atlantic seaboard.

Offline marylandboy234

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #504 on: June 09, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
Peach,

I get for June 16 or 17:
JFK - none
BOS - none
IAD - none
ATL - none
MCO - none

This is a complete strikeout all the way down the Atlantic seaboard.

Yeah i just looked too and there are no direct flights to the USA for June 16 or June 17 all the flights stop at least once.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #505 on: June 09, 2012, 05:56:45 PM »
Remember we think Taipai is ES this time. If so, that would argue in favor of a West Coast finale.

Maybe this is the time they will come thru the Caribbean or Canada first before going onto wherever?? **pure spec**
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #506 on: June 09, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
This is via phone so I can't screencap this, but flightstats shows

ET 500 ¦ ADD IAD ¦ 2215 840 (+1)

available on 6/15, 6/16, and 6/17.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #507 on: June 09, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
Remember we think Taipai is ES this time. If so, that would argue in favor of a West Coast finale.

Maybe this is the time they will come thru the Caribbean or Canada first before going onto wherever?? **pure spec**

I thought ES was placed somewhere convenient to the early race route rather than end city (hence how TAR 18 and I think 19 also (?) had ES in Thailand due to the start in Australasia despite the finish in Miami (and Atlanta).

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #508 on: June 09, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »

I thought ES was placed somewhere convenient to the early race route rather than end city (hence how TAR 18 and I think 19 also (?) had ES in Thailand due to the start in Australasia despite the finish in Miami (and Atlanta).

Taipei also could have been some sort of rally point for those first few legs so all those teams and production could fly to ES somewhere else.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #509 on: June 09, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »
:res:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline dpe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #510 on: June 09, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »
Thanks! clearly his own private race.

From what I've found, there are "Amazing Races" going on now in the Phillipines, Norway, and Calgary.
the guy who tweeted about Calgary is from Kuwait. this doesn't include the numerous races going on in the U.S.   

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #511 on: June 09, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
Always are on weekends! :lol: And we have the Belmont STakes "amazing race" tweeting now too!

It's a tough job! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #512 on: June 09, 2012, 10:11:33 PM »
One of the problems with running TAR from East to West is the daylight barrier when leaving Europe. Most flights are mid-morning to mid-afternoon which doesnt leave much time to film in daylight. Examples:

In TAR10......Paris to NYC. Arrival in afternoon....leaving limited filming time.

In TAR 13......the finale was from Moscow to Portland via Frankfurt....but arrival was still mid-day and good sun for filming was short.

In TAR15........Prague to Las Vegas......teams were sequestered in a private room at Heathrow for 12-14 hours to wait for the LHR to LAS flight......again......afternoon arrival.

In TAR 18.......WRP solved the problem by flying to South American. South American to US flighhts mostly arrive in the early AM. So they had almost a full day to film.

In TAR19........Panama City to Atlanta, about a noon arrivals and lots of time for filming the final leg.

So I think that WRP's goal is to find some flight into the US that is similiar to TAR18/19......a very early am arrival and not something like TAR10/13/15 with mid-afternoon arrivals.

As far as ES being in Taipei:
There are dailey directs flights from Taipei to Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Personally, I would give those cities a low priority.

There are direct dailey flights to Anchorage. Connect to NYC, Newark, Chicago and other cities on east coast....5 different flights to JFK alone.

On Thur/Sat nights, there are direct flights to Toronto. Toronto has connections to just about any major Eastern US city and the people can pass through US Customs/Immigration in Toronto.....saving time in the US destination airport. 

On Fri/Sun there are direct flights to Vancouver. Similiar to Toronto.....pass through customs there before flight to US, but not as many major Eastern US flights.

So it will be pretty easy to sneak the ES teams into the East Coast IF that is what WRP wishes.   
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #513 on: June 09, 2012, 10:17:06 PM »
And one additional example of the northern hemisphere into eastern U.S. approach is AR7, where teams went from England to Jamaica before flying to Miami.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #514 on: June 09, 2012, 10:41:35 PM »
What direct flights are you showing Addis to USA? I have not found any on a weekend anyway...

Peach,

Here is the flight  from Zack broken down. I am sure that you  have found this by now.

ET 500 from (ADD) Addis Ababa to (FCO) Rome

ET 500 from (FCO) Rome to (IAD) Washington

It is direct, but one stop in Rome for fuel and a few passengers I guess. Plus it has a very good arrival time in DC......8:25am. Actually, the Rome to DC flght would be a good entry in the eastern US from just about anyplace in Africa that had an appropriate connection to Rome.

Problem is......going back to 6 pm and checking arrivals in Rome before the 4:25 am departure......there is only one arrival from Africa.......lol......Addis Abba.. So no other African connections possible.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:00:36 PM by DrRox »

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #515 on: June 09, 2012, 11:02:02 PM »
One way around the light issue you'd get by going from Europe to the USA would be to say, hey, it's summer and Detroit's high enough latitude that the sun sets a little after 9:00pm this time of year. Minneapolis would have been ideal for that kind of thing, but they seem to have really cut international flights since the Delta-NWA merger.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #516 on: June 09, 2012, 11:09:41 PM »
One way around the light issue you'd get by going from Europe to the USA would be to say, hey, it's summer and Detroit's high enough latitude that the sun sets a little after 9:00pm this time of year. Minneapolis would have been ideal for that kind of thing, but they seem to have really cut international flights since the Delta-NWA merger.

I have no problem with your theory.....but what are some actual flights that would fit the bill?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #517 on: June 09, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
The pattern in recent seasons seem to be that the Race goes to a country for one leg with better connections to the final city to set up the final leg. I would suspect whether east coast, west coast or inbetween, that will hold through this season, especially with the apparent course they've followed so far. There are all sorts of possibilities depending on where the 10th leg in particular is located; while the 11th leg might still be on mainland Europe, it could be quite a few other places where the Race has only been to once or not at all.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jeff_

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #518 on: June 10, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
The route has many legs in Asia, it excites me a lot.
I hope one leg in Canada or Portugal.
#TheMockingjayLives

Offline howie_2010

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #519 on: June 10, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »
In our discussions, Neobie and I came to the conclusion that there must be some kind of restriction on TAR to fly out the same way they came in. This might be due to the commerical nature of their time in Russia.....maybe a desire to view filmed coverage........or just restriction on making sure they take all the same equipment out of Russia that they took in. It is really hard to know exactly......but they always follow the same pattern when going to Russia.

Not sure it's relevant, but just adding my two cents as to why they might do this. I'm sure equipment and filming is part of the reason, but it could also be because of what information has to be divulged in applying for visas.

I'm not 100% sure about how the race works with visas, but some types of Russian visa require that the applicant divulge everything about their trip to Russia - dates, hotels, etc., but others don't. Making every team leave/enter Russia via Sheremetyevo (or Pulkovo) may in some way alter the type of visa everyone would be required to obtain for the race such that producers don't have to divulge specific route info to the racers (but I don't think production would care about that, they would probably just as easily say "act surprised").

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #520 on: June 10, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »

:wel2

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #521 on: June 10, 2012, 12:36:56 PM »

:bigwelcome
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #522 on: June 10, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »
A skim ofarriving international flights into Detroit (DTW) gets you the usual suspects of Frankfort, Amsterdam, Toronto, Tokyo, Paris, Ottawa, and Montreal.

paldog123456

« Reply #523 on: June 10, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
A skim ofarriving international flights into Detroit (DTW) gets you the usual suspects of Frankfort, Amsterdam, Toronto, Tokyo, Paris, Ottawa, and Montreal.

Yes. :tup:

Here are some flights that I would imagine they woul take if they flew to Detroit (based on their arrival times).

Amsterdam
Delta 251 (AMS-DTW)
Departure Time: 8:15 am
Arrival Time: 10:45 am

Sao Paulo
Delta 256 (GRU-DTW)
Departure Time: 10:25 pm
Arrival Time: 8:25 am

Montreal
Either Delta 3907 or 4085 (YUL-DTW)
Departure Time: 5:40/8:45 am
Arrival Time: 7:42 am/10:46 am

Ottawa
Delta 3916 (YOW-DTW)
Departure Time: 8:15 am
Arrival Time: 9:55 am

London
Delta 19 (LHR-DTW)
Departure Time: 9:05 am
Arrival Time: 12:30 pm

I don't think they would fly from either Paris, Frankfurt or Rome because those flights have mid-afternoon arrivals.

Offline Jeff_

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #524 on: June 10, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »
Thanks boston_jen and Alenaveda  :conf:

The countries I mentioned have gone back in time a leg, but I think in TAR 21 should not visit Portugal, since Canada is a greater chance in leg 11.
#TheMockingjayLives