Author Topic: TAR 21 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**  (Read 407220 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 21 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**
« Reply #250 on: June 01, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »
There's a daily flight arriving at Wattay International (Vientiane) at 9 pm local time from Bangkok (departed ten minutes ago at 750).  If there's any possibility teams were on this flight, I could pop over to the airport on my motorbike ... Just let me know if this is totally unfeasible

I've been living as an expat for a year and always hoped those rumors would come true ...

Honestly?? We do not know. And I do not think they are going to Nam this time. But one more airport covered means one more place we KNOW about, so even a negative result would be a big help!!

oops I misread this. Laos was the missed leg we believe in TAR 19. SO yes, the possibility exists that they will re-use that some day!! I would go if you can, although I do not have any thing that says Laos for sure this time.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:15:03 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #251 on: June 01, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »
It is a good place for a 36 or so hour extended pit stop......out in the middle of nowhere. Should be 3 eliminated teams (two from eastern Java) by now.......so have to be careful they are not spotted on the way to Sequestorville and mistaken as racing. Also makes sense to send extra produciton people back home........they will not need as many as teams are eliminated.

Good time to take a night off and give Phil a birthday party too!!!
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #252 on: June 01, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »
From a Production point of view, it makes terrible sense to go to Taipei or even Hong Kong from Jakarta. Just a terrible waste of money. Anyplace you can go from Hong Kong, you can get there from either Singapore, KL or Bangkok.

I thought there was some pre-race scuttlebutt about Brunei......

They have done 3 legs in Asia.....normal is 4 or 5.........so best bet is they are heading west......as Joab has already said.........SirLanka, India, Bangladesh......with maybe a Dubai, Oman or Abu Dhabi thrown in.....

Dr. Rox,

I base what i am about to tell you on my experience as a travel agent for multiple years. The types of tickets that I understand World Race Productions has authorized for racing teams to buy are Y class tickets. Those have virtually no restrictions and changes can be made in route with full flexibility and there is automatic assignment of each ticket to other airlines if problems arise. For all those advantages, these are the most expensive coach class tickets that can be purchased.

The implications of that is that it does not matter which route a ticket shows. There is no such thing as a more expensive or less expensive Y class ticket. 

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #253 on: June 01, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »
Taiwan may be the emilination station this season since we(Chinese fans)  overheared some production will go to Taiwan after Shanghai and now again...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:49:19 AM by weihen »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #254 on: June 01, 2012, 10:02:15 AM »
Here's an interesting tweet from about 7 hours ago.

Rissa Andres ‏@rissa_andresyou
I just saw the host of amazing race on the escalator. #OnceInALifetime
12:35 AM - 1 Jun 12 via Twitter for iPhone

Rissa is from Manila, but from her earlier tweets, she was apparently in the Hong Kong airport waiting for a flight back to Manila. I've asked her which Amazing Race host she saw. If it's Phil then we have something to work with in trying to figure out where TAR is going next.

Within the timeframe of 7-8 hours ago many flights from Taipei landed in HKG. Also CX 780 came in from Surabaya but I don't know if he could have made that one.

Departures from HKG is insane. They could go literally anywhere in Asia from there or even Aus/NZ.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Lutpay

• RFF Full Member
  • #FishbachOuttaWater
« Reply #255 on: June 01, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »
Based on the information, I'm pretty sure the first leg is an elimination, with father/daughter being eliminated. The second leg, amputee girl and bf were eliminated (this has been confirmed). I think the amputee team spotted at CGK because they were going to ES somewhere not far from Indonesia.

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #256 on: June 01, 2012, 10:37:46 AM »

Rissa is from Manila, but from her earlier tweets, she was apparently in the Hong Kong airport waiting for a flight back to Manila. I've asked her which Amazing Race host she saw. If it's Phil then we have something to work with in trying to figure out where TAR is going next.

Within the timeframe of 7-8 hours ago many flights from Taipei landed in HKG. Also CX 780 came in from Surabaya but I don't know if he could have made that one.

Departures from HKG is insane. They could go literally anywhere in Asia from there or even Aus/NZ.

Based on flights from Hong Kong to Manila (running behind schedule), I'd say she was probably flying Cathy Pacific, which departed from Terminal 1 in Hong Kong.  Perhaps that will narrow down where she might have seen Phil?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: June 01, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »

Based on flights from Hong Kong to Manila (running behind schedule), I'd say she was probably flying Cathy Pacific, which departed from Terminal 1 in Hong Kong.  Perhaps that will narrow down where she might have seen Phil?

That's good thinking! She did say her flight was delayed. As did a friend of her's at the HK airport waiting for a different flight.
Looking at flights from Hong Kong to Manila on FlightStats, there are 2 flight on Cathay Pacific (Terminal 1) and one on Philippines Airlines (Terminal 2). They were anywhere from 23 to 49 minutes late. So, I'd say it could have been in either Terminal 1 or 2 with 1 being likelier.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #258 on: June 01, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
So if Phil was in Terminal 1 departures around that time he could have been headed for:

Singapore CX 735
Bangkok    CX 751
Seoul    CX 418
Hanoi    CX 1791
Phuket    CX 6804
Kuala Lumpur    CX 1727
Penang    CX 693

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #259 on: June 01, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
So if Phil was in Terminal 1 departures around that time he could have been headed for:

Singapore CX 735
Bangkok    CX 751
Seoul    CX 418
Hanoi    CX 1791
Phuket    CX 6804
Kuala Lumpur    CX 1727
Penang    CX 693

There were better connections for most of these destinations from Jakarta or Surabaya, so I'm guessing Seoul?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #260 on: June 01, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
That would make the route a little crazy :duno:

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #261 on: June 01, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
That would make the route a little crazy :duno:

We've definitely had crazier! And if you look at the world map as a whole, these routes aren't that long..

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
A couple of little comments. The fact that teams aren't headed to a particular airline hub as the destination for the next leg does not mean that hub isn't being used as a first or second connection point to the real destination.
Second, there may be some merit to having an extended pit stop, especially if the destination involves multiple flight segments and a long total elapsed travel time. That would also support sighting Phil or production (Phil, for a lead time to the next leg location; production often leap frogs to the leg or country following that.)
Third, the sequester location is not necessarily going to be determined by the location of these first legs but rather by the final destination city that is being planned for this race, and being able to have a direct route to get the eliminated teams there.
As to possible locations of the next leg, there are a few aren't there? I would think a location adjacent to the Indian Ocean would be likely candidates at this point whether that be in south Asia, southeast Asia, the Arabian peninsula (i.e., UAE) or eastern Africa. I suspect we're not quite ready for Europe at this point, so I wouldn't rule out central Asia (one of the "stans," or the republic of Georgia, for example. In other words, I think a new country or a nation not visited recently are the prime suspects.
-- theschnauzers

Offline TARismyfavoriteshow

• RFF Jr. Member
  • You can call me Sam
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »
The second leg, amputee girl and bf were eliminated (this has been confirmed).

I need to know where this came from!

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »

It definitely hasn't been confirmed.. Any elimination talk is pure spec at the moment

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »

It definitely hasn't been confirmed.. Any elimination talk is pure spec at the moment

Actually it might be. Lutpayy is one of the Indonesian detectives with special info on that leg.

addie

« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
Same question. Could it also be a flight hub?

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
So a leg in Singapore?

Have they ever done multiple legs in a country but done a leg in another county in between those legs?

This would be u.s.>china>indonesia>china, unless they continue traveling from Singapore.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2012, 04:46:07 PM »
So a leg in Singapore?

Have they ever done multiple legs in a country but done a leg in another county in between those legs?

This would be u.s.>china>indonesia>china, unless they continue traveling from Singapore.

Singapore is an independent nation, quite a long way away from China as well :)
I don't remember them ever doing that before (except the USA of course)

addie

« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
Isn't Singapore a flight hub to Australia? My parents flew through Singapore last year.

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »

Singapore is an independent nation, quite a long way away from China as well :)
I don't remember them ever doing that before (except the USA of course)

:-[  Sorry Singapore!  I just saw that they were on ChinaAir and got mixed up.  I've been scrolling through so many flight codes that my brain misfired.   :iok

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »
If Peach's info is correct, teams will be on CI752, which departs Surabaya at 6.05am (about 50 minutes from now).

I'll be fast asleep by then but look out for Singapore sightings in about 3.5 hours!!

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2012, 06:10:28 PM »
Flight is currently 10 mins late according to flightaware:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CAL752

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »
My data is showing 10 minutes EARLY. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »
My data is showing 10 minutes EARLY. :lol:

Oh, well, if FlightAware is wrong, it's wrong.  :umn: