Author Topic: TAR 21 Media  (Read 47185 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 21 Media
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »
Phil on the TALK...with some surprise guests!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8CJncAHza_E?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8CJncAHza_E?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
Phil on the TALK...with some surprise guests!
I'm geographically challenged  :'(  :'(  :'(

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »
That was pretty good.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »
TAR takes home Emmy #9!!! Congratulations to the team!!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »
:wohoo: THE AMAZING RACE WINs! :wohoo:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
Damn. Phil got robbed!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »

I agree, this was great and well deserved but not everyone agrees with us.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
The Emmys were horrendous...the absolute worst show!

"Amazing Race" winning an Emmy again is a total joke. The Emmys have no credibility--no wonder the ratings are at record lows.

The Emmys are all politics, that's why, despite nominations, The Apprentice never won--even though it should have many times over.

Well, maybe he's a bit biased.  :crybabe:

Here's another opinion:

Survivor Shannon E ™ ‏@survivorshannon
How does the amazing race win an Emmy? The show sucks!

Tim Gross ‏@theexTIMinator
@survivorshannon are you kidding Shannon? Its the 2nd best show on TV. Right behind Survivor

Survivor Shannon E ™ Survivor Shannon E ™ ‏@survivorshannon
@theexTIMinator not joking. Amazing race is poo poo. Step child of reality shows. I'd rather turtle man or honey boo boo.

Hmmmm. Well, I'll dismiss that one as he actually used the phrase "poo poo".    :llama:

Here's a third opinion:

Tawny Kitaen ‏@Tawny_Kitaen
"The Voice" GOT RIPPED OFF best reality my a** The Amazing Race" @adamlevin Have these people not seen your show? We need2get the word out!

OK, it's Tawny Kitaen.  *-:) We really can shrug that one off.    :whoop:

Then there's Andy Denhart of Reality Blurred who tweeted this:

Andy Dehnart Andy Dehnart ‏@realityblurred
F***ING F*** WHAT THE AAAAAAAAAFFFFFFGGGGGGG

OK, I censored that one a bit.  :dick

Here's what he posted about it in his blog at http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/dancing_with_the_stars_14/2012_Sep_23_tom-bergeron-emmy-race:

Tom Bergeron’s Emmy win slightly mitigates Amazing Race’s unbelievable ninth Emmy 
by Andy Dehnart / September 23, 2012, 8:17 PM

Dancing with the Stars host Tom Bergeron won the best reality show host Emmy tonight, likely due to Jeff Probst’s absence from the nominees after winning every year since the award began. I say that because, once a-f***ing-gain, The Amazing Race won for best competition series. The award has been given 10 times and the CBS series has won it nine times, not that I have strong feelings about that win.

Tom Bergeron is a fine choice: He’s quick on his feet and funny, and is never afraid to acknowledge the ridiculousness going on around him. I would have voted for Cat Deeley, because she does similarly strong work but adds unexpected humanity to the role. Honestly, had either Cat or Phil Keoghan won, that would have been perfectly acceptable. Despite my rage at Amazing Race’s win, Phil remains one of the consistently strong parts of the series.

Speaking of that rage: Damaged beyond repair by budget cuts and ego and bad decision-making, The Amazing Race is a shadow of its former self, and even nominated a s***ty episode, yet it wins again. Sure, it looks gorgeous, and I can’t imagine the logistical challenges it presents. I was once an unapologetic cheerleader for it. But that does not mean the end product is good. What was broadcast last year is objectively a shadow of the show’s previous self, and is in no way better than some of the other nominees.

More cleanup needed in a few places here.  :dick

Overall, though reaction on Twitter and Facebook was pretty positive and most people agree with us and are happy that TAR won another Emmy.

I particularly liked the Beekman Boys message on Facebook:

FINALLY!! We're on an EMMY winning show! Congrats AMAZING RACE on your win!

I also liked this comment:

James Poniewozik ‏@poniewozik
If THE AMAZING RACE is going to win every year, they really should make the #emmys a pitstop one season

I hope you enjoyed all this. I thought the negative comments were amusing myself. Sort of a combination of sour grapes and taking themselves way too seriously.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:40:01 PM by Plaidmoon »

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »

I agree, this was great and well deserved but not everyone agrees with us.

The Emmys were horrendous...the absolute worst show!

"Amazing Race" winning an Emmy again is a total joke. The Emmys have no credibility--no wonder the ratings are at record lows.

The Emmys are all politics, that's why, despite nominations, The Apprentice never won--even though it should have many times over.

Well, maybe he's a bit biased.  :crybabe:

Here's another opinion:

Survivor Shannon E ™ ‏@survivorshannon
How does the amazing race win an Emmy? The show sucks!

Tim Gross ‏@theexTIMinator
@survivorshannon are you kidding Shannon? Its the 2nd best show on TV. Right behind Survivor

Survivor Shannon E ™ Survivor Shannon E ™ ‏@survivorshannon
@theexTIMinator not joking. Amazing race is poo poo. Step child of reality shows. I'd rather turtle man or honey boo boo.

Hmmmm. Well, I'll dismiss that one as he actually used the phrase "poo poo".    :llama:

Here's a third opinion:

Tawny Kitaen ‏@Tawny_Kitaen
"The Voice" GOT RIPPED OFF best reality my a** The Amazing Race" @adamlevin Have these people not seen your show? We need2get the word out!

OK, it's Tawny Kitaen.  *-:) We really can shrug that one off.    :whoop:

Then there's Andy Denhart of Reality Blurred who tweeted this:

Andy Dehnart Andy Dehnart ‏@realityblurred
F***ING F*** WHAT THE AAAAAAAAAFFFFFFGGGGGGG

OK, I censored that one a bit.  :dick

Here's what he posted about it in his blog at http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/dancing_with_the_stars_14/2012_Sep_23_tom-bergeron-emmy-race:

Tom Bergeron’s Emmy win slightly mitigates Amazing Race’s unbelievable ninth Emmy 
by Andy Dehnart / September 23, 2012, 8:17 PM

Dancing with the Stars host Tom Bergeron won the best reality show host Emmy tonight, likely due to Jeff Probst’s absence from the nominees after winning every year since the award began. I say that because, once a-f***ing-gain, The Amazing Race won for best competition series. The award has been given 10 times and the CBS series has won it nine times, not that I have strong feelings about that win.

Tom Bergeron is a fine choice: He’s quick on his feet and funny, and is never afraid to acknowledge the ridiculousness going on around him. I would have voted for Cat Deeley, because she does similarly strong work but adds unexpected humanity to the role. Honestly, had either Cat or Phil Keoghan won, that would have been perfectly acceptable. Despite my rage at Amazing Race’s win, Phil remains one of the consistently strong parts of the series.

Speaking of that rage: Damaged beyond repair by budget cuts and ego and bad decision-making, The Amazing Race is a shadow of its former self, and even nominated a s***ty episode, yet it wins again. Sure, it looks gorgeous, and I can’t imagine the logistical challenges it presents. I was once an unapologetic cheerleader for it. But that does not mean the end product is good. What was broadcast last year is objectively a shadow of the show’s previous self, and is in no way better than some of the other nominees.

More cleanup needed in a few places here.  :dick

Overall, though reaction on Twitter and Facebook was pretty positive and most people agree with us and are happy that TAR won another Emmy.

I particularly liked the Beekman Boys message on Facebook:

FINALLY!! We're on an EMMY winning show! Congrats AMAZING RACE on your win!

I also liked this comment:

James Poniewozik ‏@poniewozik
If THE AMAZING RACE is going to win every year, they really should make the #emmys a pitstop one season

I hope you enjoyed all this. I thought the negative comments were amusing myself. Sort of a combination of sour grapes and taking themselves way too seriously.

LOL, those snubbers!!! :lol3:

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 07:37:16 AM »
The Amazing Race 21 Episode 2
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »
Amazing Race's Phil Keoghan: There's Healthier Competition This Season

The Amazing Race picked up its ninth trophy (in 10 nominations) for reality-competition series at last Sunday's Primetime Emmy Awards, but the evening was special for Phil Keoghan for another reason.
"My daughter was 6 the first time we won and I told her that I would take her to the Emmys when she's 16 if we're lucky enough to be nominated then, let alone still be on the air," Keoghan tells TVGuide.com. "So a decade has gone by - I don't know how it's gone that quickly - we're still here and we got nominated, so I took her and it was great to be there with her." It wasn't smooth sailing the whole night: His daughter Elle fainted before the show from the oppressive heat (she's OK) and Keoghan had trouble getting into the theater after seeking help for her. "The entrance was blocked, so we had to go all the way around and luckily made it back in time before the category was announced," he says. "It was our own Roadblock!"

Nine Emmys later, Race is heading into its 21st season (Sunday, 8/7c, CBS) and raising the stakes even higher. For the first time, the show is doubling the prize money to $2 million - but there's a catch: A team must win the first and last legs to win the $2 million purse. So why up the grand prize now? What else can we expect from Season 21? Keoghan gives us the scoop.

Congrats on the Emmy win! Do you still get nervous after so many wins?
Phil Keoghan: Thank you! I do. Every year that we have won, I was more nervous than I ever was, last year included since we had lost [in 2010 to Top Chef]. The first time we ever won, I was so relaxed because there were absolutely no expectations. In some respects, we were an underdog show. We weren't the highest-rated. We were just a critically acclaimed show, I think. I think that first award really put us on the map. It made people who hadn't found our show yet go, "What's this show that just won?"

That one was for Season 3, which was a game-changing season. And now you're on 21.
Keoghan: Yeah, Season 3 was a pivotal one, [Season] 5 too. In fact, all our odd-numbered years were really pivotal - 1, 3, 5, 7 were big years for us. And now it's 21. I remember thinking five years was extraordinary. It's absolutely mind-blowing to be in the 20s now.

Is that why you're upping the prize to a potential $2 million?
Keoghan: Yeah, that came from CBS. CBS said that they really wanted to have a game-changer, to have something that would make the audience pay attention and certainly make the teams race a little harder. Thankfully, they managed to find the resources to be able to offer it as a prize. The reaction that I got at the starting line was quite enthusiastic. "Oh, that sounds like a good idea!" (Watch a sneak peek of the starting line below.)

I'm not sure we can say the same for past Racers.
Keoghan: [Laughs] I always say, I don't think there's anybody who's been on the Race who was in it just to win the money. Honestly, I think if you could offer any of the Racers a chance to come back just to race, they would take it. While the money is definitely a tantalizing prize waiting at the end, the experiences that they have, money couldn't buy. We've allowed teams to go to the pit where the Terracotta warriors are in China - no amount of money could buy you into that place. I don't even think $2 million could cover it, quite frankly. It's the best that money can't buy.

Judging from the premiere, this is one of your most eclectic casts ever.
Keoghan: Yeah, I think you're gonna love the teams. The team that stood out from the beginning were the Sri Lankan twins [Nadiya and Natalie]. They talk incessantly. They have a wonderful, self-deprecating sense of humor. They constantly bicker at one another and then turn around and love each other dearly. The Beekman Boys [Josh and Brent] - the funniest thing was that during the auditions [when] they were describing how they lost their jobs and they started this goat farm. They described having one arm attached to a certain part of the goat's anatomy while the other hand was holding onto an iPhone on how to help a goat give birth. I don't know if there's a goat app now, but when they described that with hand gestures, we just were like, "These guys are hysterical!" The Chippendales [Jaymes and James] are gonna be some real eye candy. They're very funny, very quick, vivacious, quite sensitive. They're not what you would expect and not what I expected. I was just surprised at their humility and their sensitivity. They came on this Race to have a great time and they definitely did. They know how to have fun.

There's a somewhat suspenseful finish to the first leg. Were you surprised at what happened?
Keoghan: I was really surprised. The thing about Amazing Race is that the teams don't realize that one decision about letting something go or trying to be nice at some point can come back and sting you. You have to just focus on racing and race smart and be careful about ever giving up anything. All I can say is, every single one of them says, "Man, we used to yell at the screen and say, 'Why are they doing this?' But when we come on, we realized it's not as easy as it looks.'"

Someone also doesn't read a clue properly. How can teams still do this after 21 seasons?
Keoghan: I know! Honestly, I think people underestimate how much jet lag is playing into bad decisions. People stop thinking when they're under pressure. This is all happening at a million miles per hour - 12 shows in 21 days. It was faster than the last season and the last season was crazy-fast. I think people think because the show airs week to week, there's this big space between legs, like we're all resting and hanging out for seven days, but we literally do not stop. You're going to see some very smart people make some very dumb mistakes.

How dumb? Missing you at the Pit Stop dumb?
Keoghan: [Laughs] Just mistakes they would not ordinarily make if they were not so tired and so out of it. It's part of what makes the Race work. If we did have a week between legs, it would be a completely different show. There are definitely fatal mistakes, not just one, but a number of multiple fatal mistakes. ... You're gonna see, literally, in one episode two teams racing for last place. There's an intersection where they can go left or go right to get to the Pit Stop. They're in a mode of transportation where they're side-by-side yelling at each other. One team goes left, one goes right. One stays and one doesn't. They were within seconds of arriving on the mat.

Are snowboarders your new beauty queens? You used to have beauty queens all the time and now you have another snowboarder in three seasons.
Keoghan: [Laughs] It's kind of topical now with the Olympics and the Paralympics - these athletes with these extraordinary mindsets to overcome adversity. [Amy] is our first-time double-amputee Racer. She's a three-time World Cup champion snowboarder. She's one to watch. I think that's what's so great about our show - we can cast such diverse people. Other people cast for singing ability, dancing ability, losing-weight ability, cooking ability, designing ability. Our show is not about any particular ability at all. The more different you are, the more likely you are to be chosen if you have a really interesting personality and backstory. A Chippendale, a monster truck driver [Rob] and a former rock star [James from White Lion and Megadeath] would never wind up together in a pub for a drink in real life. James and Abba are another team to watch out for. People think they know what to expect from the long hair and hearing that he's a rock star. These are pretty smart guys.

Fans were not fond of the fighting between Rachel and Vanessa last season. How much inter-team drama is there this season?
Keoghan: There's definitely drama and some bickering, but nothing like last season. I think this cast has a better competitive attitude than last season's. There's healthier competition this season. I mean, some of that stuff with Rachel and Vanessa was getting really nasty last time.

And the Switchback is back.
Keoghan: Yeah, you like that? What's interesting is the fans are trying to guess which [old task it is.] People love to see how new teams would cope with those legendary moments. I'll just say it had hilarious results the first time.

Please tell me it's the cheese.
Keoghan: [Laughs] I will tell you that the cheese is probably one of my favorite moments ever. The cheese task was not necessarily planned out to go the way the cheese task went. I don't think we planned for 50-pound cheese to roll down the hill and possibly take out locals. Thankfully there were fences down the hill, otherwise the headlines would've been "Amazing Race Cheese Takes Out Village."

What kind of new tasks will we see?
Keoghan: Going to Indonesia the first time was so popular that we decided to head back, and we do something interesting there. The best challenges are the ones that are indigenous. I can promise some very messy and smelly challenges. (Check out a sneak peek of a Roadblock from the premiere.)

Were the final three who you expected - or who you think viewers might expect - to be?
Keoghan: The final three are always a surprise because none of us ever get it right! I'm terrible! Even the first couple that left, I didn't see coming. That was not the team I had picked. We always take a few bets on who we think will make the final three and nobody has ever gotten it right. I never saw Flo and Zach winning [Season 3]. Everybody had Rob and Amber picked to win [Season 7]. This year, I was way wrong and a couple teams that I picked got eliminated pretty early. They might be the same teams fans will latch on to.

Any update on Season 22?
Keoghan: We're good to go on Season 22. We're scouting and will be shooting at the end of the year. People always ask what makes this season different from past seasons. We don't change the format. We just change the faces and change the places, and you will get The Amazing Race. We're not reinventing the wheel. I think a show like Survivor - which is great - comes up with more twists because it's more needed. They change the faces, but what about the places? It's a pretty similar kind of location, so they need to change something in the format. A talent show, you're on the same soundstage every year. Our advantage is because we never go back to exactly the same place, so there will definitely be new locales in Season 22.
The Amazing Race premieres Sunday at 8/7c on CBS.

http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainment/tv/tvguide/article/Amazing-Race-s-Phil-Keoghan-There-s-Healthier-3903167.php
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »
'The Amazing Race': Phil Keoghan teases extreme reactions, extreme abs in season 21 -- VIDEO

If you need more convincing to watch this season of The Amazing Race after learning that two of the competitors are Chippendales dancers, then I’m not the person to do it. Host Phil Keoghan may just be, though. TAR 21, kicking off this Sunday just a week after the show picked up its ninth Emmy for Outstanding Reality Series, will travel to yet more far-flung locations, including China, France’s Loire Valley, Bangladesh, and Indonesia. But it’s the competitors themselves who have Keoghan most excited for this round of racing. Below, he previews what viewers can expect. Hint: There will be shirtlessness — lest you forget — as well as Fabulous Beekman Boys and the show’s first-ever double amputee. (And that’s without mentioning the metalheads and monster truckers!) He teases, “We are picking people to be on the show who we know will react in an extreme manner sometimes

The Amazing Race 21 premieres Sunday at 8 p.m. ET on CBS. In the latest Amazing twist, the teams stand to win $2 million this season. How? If they win the first leg and go on to win the whole thing, they can double their money. It’ll be an extra-tricky feat to pull off for sure, but, as they say… high risk, high reward.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/28/the-amazing-race-phil-keoghan-teases-extreme-reactions-extreme-abs-in-season-21-video/

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 10:32:09 AM »
The Sunday Conversation: Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri of 'The Amazing Race'

The married couple, the reality show's creators and executive producers, reveal what goes into their race around the world.

Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri, co-creators of the CBS reality competition "The Amazing Race," in their L.A.-area home. (Jay L. Clendenin, Los Angeles Times / September 30, 2012)

Related photos »

September 30, 2012, 8:00 a.m.

The 21st season of CBS' "The Amazing Race" begins Sunday night, on the heels of the reality competition show's ninth Emmy win. Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri — a married couple who are the creators and executive producers of "The Amazing Race" — talked about some of their own team challenges pulling off a globe-trotting show for the last decade.

Congratulations on your ninth Emmy. Do you have a sense of why "The Amazing Race" is such a favorite with the television academy?

Doganieri: Since most of our peers are in television, I think they really understand what it takes to produce a show that's global.

What's involved in planning a global show?

Doganieri: It takes months of pre-production and planning, about four months of casting, prep, all the scouting, all the creative. We pick the route and then we film the show in about three weeks, so it's all in the planning.

You guys are advance location scouts, yes?

Doganieri: Bertram does more of the scouting than I do at this point. We start with research in the office, we plan out where we want to go for the next season and we go out on the road with the country producers — the people who are going to produce each location. I'll meet with our local facilitators and local companies to produce each episode.

That sounds like a lot of people. I thought reality shows proliferated in part because they were cheaper to produce than scripted.

Doganieri: "The Amazing Race" is in line with other reality shows, and probably at this point, we produce the show for less than most other shows. We don't have any extra people on the road who don't need to be on the road. Most of the people who work on our show come back season after season, and everybody is well versed in what it takes to produce the show. We work within a budget, and we stick to it.

After two decades, how do you keep the show fresh?

Doganieri: We are very involved. Bertram and I go on the road, and we're there during the filming, and we're involved in the editing and the casting. We try to find new and exciting locations. We make sure our cast is diverse and exciting. You know, with the global backdrop of the world, it doesn't get boring — you always have a beautiful backdrop, interesting people, fantastic cultures. And if you cast it well and you have good creative, which is a huge part of making a show, it all blends together to be this fantastic adventure to watch at home.

How many countries has the show visited?

Doganieri: About 80. I hope we're secretly educating people about geography and culture. I've heard some wonderful stories about teachers using "The Amazing Race" in their syllabus to teach children about countries, geography, cultures.

What do you think about the kind of reality shows that focus on wildly dysfunctional relationships? Yours seem like mostly pretty normal relationships — there's friction because there's stress, which is a different thing.

Doganieri: Everybody has their area of expertise. Bertram and I liked the idea that "The Amazing Race" is a competition where nobody gets voted out, no one is judged out and based on your own ability or inability, you are the person or your team that will not make it through or will succeed. What we love about producing our show is it's a family show that everybody can watch.

Van Munster: There are 500 channels. There's room for everybody, and why not?

Doganieri: Our show touches everybody. Our cast is really diverse. There's father and daughter, there's a wide range of ages and backgrounds. Everyone who watches can relate to somebody. So the drama comes from the relationships — people traveling together, there's going to be drama, but it's pretty much what we all go through when we travel together. There's a million dollars and traveling to 10 or 11 different countries in three weeks, and you're tired, you're hungry — it definitely doesn't bring out the best in people.

You guys have produced other adventure shows, like "The Great Escape" and "Wild Things" — clearly you're a fan of adventure. What has been the most adrenalin-producing adventure you've ever had personally?

Van Munster: Of course there are very many white-knuckle flights — that's an adventure in itself — into crazy territory, but to pin it down to one is difficult. The world is just damn small, very tiny. What I have learned from it is that it's absolutely absurd that we have wars between each other. People don't realize how small the world is and how similar our problems are. People all over the world are extremely hospitable — kind, friendly. You pay respect to their rules and their religion, and people are kind everywhere you go.

So you've never in all these years encountered anti-American sentiment abroad?

Van Munster: It's more anti-government than anti-American — our policies. Nobody is anti-American. People just love us. They think we're great. Several times contestants have lost money, like in Moscow on the street. People pulled money out of their pocket. I've never seen that here in America. Twenty, 30, 50 Euros, no problem. If you're in the Arab world, very often people invite you into their house for food and hospitality. We go to Africa, people give you the shirt off their back. It depends on how you approach it and how you deal with people.

To go back to your Moscow comment, I know contestants are given allowances, and if they run out, they have to figure out how to get more legally. After Season 7, you specifically banned begging in U.S. airports. Did somebody do that in Season 7?

Van Munster: What happened, in Egypt, was that the soccer moms ran out of money, and they found two or three tour buses by the pyramids. And there were a lot of American tourists and they asked them for money and they got money from those guys. That was Season 5, I think.

Doganieri: The one thing we don't want people to do, if you're down to your last couple of dollars and you're in a country filled with poverty, it just doesn't look right or feel right to beg for money. If they want to perform and get paid, maybe — that could be kind of fun. But just to ask people who are underprivileged, sometimes it's a bit off-putting and we just don't want that to be an impression we leave behind.

Let's talk about the new season. Why did you boost the prize money to $2 million? Isn't $1 million still a lot of money?

Doganieri: We thought it would be a real game-changer. We wanted to up the ante. Yes, a million dollars is a ton of money, but we're also hopeful that the people who win will do something wonderful with the money. One girl was a diabetic, and I know she was putting some of her money into research for diabetes. It also lit a fire under the contestants like you wouldn't believe when they heard that.

What else can you tell me about the new season?

Doganieri: Contestants are going to travel through three different continents. They're going to nine countries. We flew them around the world about 25,000 miles. And we have a great cast. We have some heavy metal rockers — one of them was a member of White Lion and Megadeth. We also have a woman who had meningitis and at 19 lost both her legs, but she survived, and she is a professional snowboarder and an inspiration to anyone who deals with any type of disability. On a really fun side, we have Chippendale dancers, and these guys are wildly entertaining.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-st-amazing-race-conversation-20120930,0,5018694.story
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
'Amazing Race' premiere: First leg has 'a very dramatic finish,' says Phil KeoghanBy Andrea Reiher

September 30, 2012 10:17 AM ET

"The Amazing Race" returns this weekend with teams that include Chippendales dancers, a double amputee and a Megadeth rocker, plus a two million dollar prize for the winners of the first leg shoudl they win the whole race. Host Phil Keoghan tells Zap2it that raises the stakes right at the start.

"We definitely set a high bar and you can see right from the start the teams are amped up," says Keoghan. "There's a very dramatic finish ... it's one of those endings where the teams are really fighting, they're very very close. There's a couple of decisions that are made there that really had a detrimental effect on a couple of teams. Really exciting, right to the last team."

Along with the exciting start, Keoghan also teases a few of the challenges the show sets up, which include eating something unusual and bringing back something from a past season.

"We do have a local delicacy that we share with the teams. We don't have them gratuitously eating some piece of food, like a 'Fear Factor'-type of stunt. We give them a delicacy that the local people really love," says Keoghan.

"There is also something that comes up that many of the teams and the audience would have seen on the show before," he continues. "Something that's historic in the history of the race and we decided to bring it back."

As far as the teams go, he says that there isn't one team that sticks out as more colorful than any others. The show really prides itself on its diverse casting, which this time around includes Amy Purdy, a snowboarder who is a double amputee. Which Keoghan says does not slow her down one bit.

"Quite frankly, she moves faster and is more athletic than may of the guys running around with beer bellies. If I were going to choose over having her athletic ability over the guys carrying a little extra weight around the middle, I'd choose her," he says.

"The Amazing Race" Season 21 premieres Sunday, Sept. 30 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CBS.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/09/amazing-race-premiere-first-leg-has-a-very-dramatic-finish-says-phil-keoghan.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »
Based on his other interviews I think he means Switchback.... ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2012, 04:16:11 PM »
The Amazing Race: 'We're a travel show on Red Bull'

On your marks, armchair travelers: The latest installment of CBS' The Amazing Race kicks off tonight, taking 11 teams on another rip-roaring romp through nine countries across the globe.

The 21st season, which launches a week after the show nabbed a ninth Emmy for Outstanding Reality Series, includes a new impetus for jet-lagged meltdowns and rude tourist behavior: If a two-person team reaches the mat first for both the initial and final leg of the race, they'll double their winnings to $2 million. Among this round's contestants are a heavy metal rocker, a double amputee snowboarder and married professional monster truckers -- with a pair of Chippendale dancers boosting the requisite eye candy quotient.

But, insists New Zealand-born host Phil Keoghan, "the places are as much a star as the teams we pick. Even on Survivor, it's pretty difficult to tell the difference between one beautiful island and another. But when you turn on Amazing Race, the contrasts to the places you see in the background are extreme. In a given episode, you can go from the furnace to the freezer in the space of a few minutes, and you never see the same place twice." (Countries are another story; Amazing Race has visited 82 over its 11-year run, and China is back for its 11th appearance this season.)

Then again, Phil Keoghan is no Rick Steves.

"We are basically a travel show on Red Bull," he says.

"It's the difference between having a relaxing glass of wine while looking at beautiful imagery, and watching our show where the adrenaline is pumping through your system as you're racing through the streets of (Bangladesh's capital) Dhaka." The densely populated South Asian country, setting for a challenge this season involving rat collectors, is what Keoghan calls "high-octane and high energy; a place that just slaps you in the face."

Other parts of the anatomy will be slapped in Istanbul, where teams visit a traditional hammam, or Turkish bathhouse. Not in the cards for this season's contestants: A repeat of Keoghan's own 1999 trip to Istanbul, when he swam the mile-wide Bosporus from Asia to Europe and "almost got run over by an oil tanker."

Experienced globe-trotters may diss The Amazing Race for perpetuating Ugly American stereotypes, but Keoghan is unapologetic.

"There are some people, and it doesn't matter which nationality, who are not good representatives of their country ...we've all heard them at restaurants and been pushed aside by them in lines at immigration," says Keoghan. "We could decide, 'let's cast a group of perfect ambassadors who are articulate, polite to everybody around them and represent the best of who we are as a nation. But I think we'd be kidding ourselves. We're not casting good and bad. It begins and ends with, 'is this person a captivating character?'"

While "captivating character" may make for dramatic TV, travel and relationship skills aren't necessarily part of a winning Amazing Race formula.

"I've seen the most incompatible people not only do well, but win the race. I don't understand it, frankly," says Keoghan. "And experienced traveler is a relative term: I don't know whether anybody is ever prepared for the travel that is The Amazing Race. It still kicks all of us in the butt, every single time."

So what's the ultimate destination for the peripatetic show?

"They're exploring Mars right now, (and) we're already pre-scouting," says Keoghan. "We're ready for Amazing Race 50."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/dispatches/2012/09/30/amazing-race-phil-keoghan-cbs-reality-show-travel/1602887/

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »
Tweet LIVE with Phil Keoghan During The Amazing Race!

Public event · By The Amazing Race.

Sunday, 7 October 2012.. RSVP now and join the Live Tweet with Amazing Race Host Phil Keoghan as he tweets during an all-new episode on Sunday Oct. 7th at 8pm ET/5pm PT*.

http://www.cbs.com/connect/talent/81503/phil-keoghan

*Time subject to change due to NFL overruns 

See the Premiere Tweets here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/428234067224904/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:08 PM »
Moved: Switchback discussion to the Discussion of Spoilers thread.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
TAR Promo at :30 past the hour during Survivor. Shows "Bull Racing."
-- theschnauzers

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »
I have the name of our third episode : "There's No Crying in Baseball"
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »
I have the name of our third episode : "There's No Crying in Baseball"

I hate when people beat me to that.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »
Both of you are late!  :lol:

That has been up on Wikipedia since October 3rd! 

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »
Who needs wiki when you have RFF??   :neener:  Beat you all!  :lol:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27948.msg805142.html#msg805142
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 09:41:05 PM »
Well, I should have known wiki had to get it from here.

Glad the universe is righted!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »
 :<3
RFF's Golden Rule: