Author Topic: TAR 21 Media  (Read 47178 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 21 Media
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
This is the place to add any TAR 21 media, news, articles, or press releases!

Please to remember to credit the source by providing the link to the media!  :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 21 Media
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
Press Tidbits:

Phil on The View July 9, 2012:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/noXfoYOM0j4?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/noXfoYOM0j4?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:03:47 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Bluesky

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:51:47 PM »
..... dateline July 4th, 2012 .....

A spokesperson for The Amazing Race today celebrated the fact that at long last, they had been able to film an entire season without once being spotted by the intrepid and dedicated folk at RFF.

"They just never expected we would select mythological places," she said. "They just assumed we would only travel to places shown on ordinary globes and atlases."

She revealed that the first destination had been El Dorado, and that the final three contestants had battled it out in Utopia. In between the racers visited Atlantis, Camelot, Thule, Asgard, Hyperboria, Shangri-La, Lemuria, and Hawaiki.

"We think the racers were absolutely thrilled with the destinations this season," she went on to say. "Most had never even dreamed they would be able to visit these locations."

She added that avoiding airlines and airports also helped the race stay unnoticed. "This season we traveled by means such as hot air balloon, jet pack, hoverboard, transporter and yellow submarine."

She refused to reveal plans for the upcoming TAR22, saying only that "some places haven't been visited for a long time" while  glancing skyward.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
Love it!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »

A spokesperson for The Amazing Race today celebrated the fact that at long last, they had been able to film an entire season without once being spotted by the intrepid and dedicated folk at RFF.

"They just never expected we would select mythological places," she said. "They just assumed we would only travel to places shown on ordinary globes and atlases."

She revealed that the first destination had been El Dorado, and that the final three contestants had battled it out in Utopia. In between the racers visited Atlantis, Camelot, Thule, Asgard, Hyperboria, Shangri-La, Lemuria, and Hawaiki.

"We think the racers were absolutely thrilled with the destinations this season," she went on to say. "Most had never even dreamed they would be able to visit these locations."

She added that avoiding airlines and airports also helped the race stay unnoticed. "This season we traveled by means such as hot air balloon, jet pack, hoverboard, transporter and yellow submarine."

She refused to reveal plans for the upcoming TAR22, saying only that "some places haven't been visited for a long time" while  glancing skyward.

hmmm... let's analyze what the spokesperson said it on those "mythological places" as a possible countries that will visit for TAR 21 as what I'd highlighted it as a bold letters:

El Dorado = Colombia (the con side: high crime rates and problems on FARC rebels)
Atlantis = Bermuda
Camelot = England (but I think they'd been there before)
Utopia = unknown, and it's just a political ideology coined by Saint Thomas More
Thule = Greenland or somewhere in Scandinavian countries
Hyperboria and Asgard = somewhere in Scandinavian countries
Shangri-La = Tibet, China (the con side: uncertain political issue on that region)
Lemuria = some countries within the Indian Ocean like Madagascar, Maldives, Comoros Is., etc.
Hawaiki = New Zealand

And there you have it, and I think that the travel direction for TAR 21 will start in Europe and ends in South America. :tup:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:24:02 PM by topaz »

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 05:47:37 AM »
 :groan:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »

hmmm... let's analyze what the spokesperson said it on those "mythological places" as a possible countries that will visit for TAR 21 as what I'd highlighted it as a bold letters:

El Dorado = Colombia (the con side: high crime rates and problems on FARC rebels)
Atlantis = Bermuda
Camelot = England (but I think they'd been there before)
Utopia = unknown, and it's just a political ideology coined by Saint Thomas More
Thule = Greenland or somewhere in Scandinavian countries
Hyperboria and Asgard = somewhere in Scandinavian countries
Shangri-La = Tibet, China (the con side: uncertain political issue on that region)
Lemuria = some countries within the Indian Ocean like Madagascar, Maldives, Comoros Is., etc.
Hawaiki = New Zealand

And there you have it, and I think that the travel direction for TAR 21 will start in Europe and ends in South America. :tup:

I am pretty sure that Bluesky just meant it as a catchy story, not a work of fact. If it were fact, then the location of Atlantis has been speculated in the middle of the northern hemisphere Atlantic Ocean (but not so far west as Bermuda), in the vicinity of the Azores or the Greek island of Thera.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »
 :ascared  Not directly TAR related news, but rather perpetuates the TAR Curse theory....

6.1 magnitude quake hits Indonesia's Java island June 4, 2012

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »
Any specific press info for TAR 21 from production is being added in post 2! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline AmazingRaceAsiaFan

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • die hard TAR Asia Fan!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »
BREAKING NEWS! live from the official Amazing Race Twitter feed!

@AmazingRace_CBS Big ‪#AmazingRace‬ premiere news! The 21st season will premiere on Sunday, September 30 at 8/7c only on @CBS! http://bit.ly/OxQviZ

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 11:03:03 AM »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
Thanks for the news ARAF and Boingo! I haven't been keeping up to date with the news.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
Amazing Race doubles its prize to $2 million; teams identified, including reality stars, Chippendales dancers

by Andy Dehnart August 20, 2012

The Amazing Race 21’s teams will be competing for a prize that has doubled to $2 million for the winning team. Those teams, and the cities they visited during filming earlier this summer, have also been identified, though not yet confirmed by CBS.

The increase in the prize money, revealed in the preview below that CBS released late last week, is inexplicable to me. Why would an aging series that has already been creatively weak over the past few years (more pre-planned travel between legs, shorter legs, fewer opportunities for things to go awry, et cetera) spend more money on the prize, of all things? Sure, the $1 million prize hasn’t increased in the past decade, and since each team member wins $500,000, this technically brings the show up to the level of Survivor instead of Big Brother. But changing the prize money isn’t going to draw new viewers. Perhaps it’ll generate a few headlines, but is that worth $1 million?

I’m curious if Survivor Philippines will also get an increase, or if the prize here is something different than cash, such as an annuity, like America’s Got Talent’s prize.

Meanwhile, as usual, the wonderfully obsessed stalkers at Reality Fan Forum have again tracked this season, which filmed from the end of May until mid-June. All of their location and other spoilers are in one post, and the 11 teams have also been identified. (By the way, the last time I referred to the RFF posters as “stalkers,” some humorless people thought I was criticizing them, instead of being impressed by their talents, because those humorless people are humorless and also don’t understand that tracing people’s steps around the world from one’s computer is pretty much stalking.)

Anyway, the teams include reality stars, though not Russell Hantz and Dick Donato, thankfully. Instead, it’s The Fabulous Beekman Boys, Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell (their show aired two seasons on Planet Green, and will air its third on Cooking Channel).

Also on this season, according to the site: Megadeth and White Lion bassist James LoMenzo and his manager, two Chippendales dancers, and two married monster truck drivers.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_amazing_race_21/2012_Aug_20_increased-prize-teams-route

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:35:00 PM by georgiapeach »
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »
Wisconsin man on new season of 'The Amazing Race'

Josh Kilmer-Purcell, one of "The Fabulous Beekman Boys," about two gay men who leave New York City to become farmers, will be a contestant on the 21st season season of CBS' "The Amazing Race," according to the reality show website Reality Blurred.

Purcell, raised in Oconomowoc, will race with his partner Brent Ridge. The pair are authors of "The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook."

The new season of "The Amazing Race" premieres on Sept. 30.

A Madison couple - Dave and Rachel Brown - were winners of last season's competition in which multiple teams of two race around the world completing, often arduous, tasks.

This year "The Amazing Race" has doubled its prize money, to $2 million.

Kilmer-Purcell is the author of several books including the best seller "I Am Not Myself These Days," about his life in the advertising industry by day and as a drag queen at night.

"The Fabulous Beekman Boys" was shown on the Planet Green cable channel for two seasons, before moving to The Cooking Channel. According to Reality Blurred, the other contestants on the "Amazing Race" include the bassist for Megadeth and White Lion and his manager, two Chippendales dancers, and two married monster truck drivers.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/166757476.html

Fabulous Beekman Boys to compete on 'Amazing Race'
Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell will be one of 11 teams vying to win $2M on CBS' reality series.

While we know the Cooking Channel is moving ahead with plans to re-air both seasons of "The Fabulous Beekman Boys" (and hopefully greenlight a third), rumor has it that you'll have a new way to catch our favorite gay farming duo this fall.

According to Reality Blurred, Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell will join 10 other teams in competing to win $2M on CBS's reality series "The Amazing Race." For those not familiar with the show (now on it's 21st season), teams race around the world (and against the clock) while completing a series of tasks and stunts in the process. It's heavy on the stress - which, for anyone that's ever watched "Beekman", generally brings out the more hilarious moments between Kilmer-Purcell and Ridge.

As the 21st season filmed from the end of May until mid-June, for all we know Brent and Josh could be sitting on a cool $2M. So far, there are now outward signs on the Beekman farm that anything's changed - though the boys did just add a nice, shiny new roof to their massive barn.

Look for something official from CBS soon. "The Amazing Race" premieres on September 30th.

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/blogs/fabulous-beekman-boys-to-compete-on-amazing-race
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
I definitely don't mind being called a stalker :)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »

Me neither.  :lol:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
Heee, I told Andy we are proud to be TAR "stalkers"!! Cause we are nicest kind, of course!!

AND...we have a sense of humor!! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:50 PM »
One point I would make as a counterpoint to Andy Denhart's criticism of the last few seasons is that actually, the producers have been bringing back more of those elements of the early seasons that made TAR such a challenge physically and mentally, for the Racers. Yes, TPTB have worked to minimize teams falling a day behind, but teams in these last few seasons have shown that learning to be consistent and not making mistakes is the surest way to win, which is one way to explain the number of recent seasons where the final three teams have often been the most consistent teams in those seasons. And that a stupid mistake can get you eliminated even if you are otherwise consistently good.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
I'm not sure where to put this story and I suspect it's more likely about might have happened in TAR 22 or TAR 23 than what might have happened in TAR 21, but I'll put it here. I found a story that appeared in a newspaper yesterday from Prince Edward Island in Canada. In it, it talks about the Prince Edward Island tourism board having negotiations with American television networks about bringing shows to Prince Edward Island. CBS apparently offered to bring 3 shows there, but wanted too much of a subsidy to cover the extra production costs. The Prince Edward Island tourism board turned it down as costing too much for the benefit it would provide.

Tourism P.E.I. turns down U.S. network's pitches

This may put to rest speculation the CBS show The Amazing Race may be coming to P.E.I., tourism officials say

P.E.I. tourism officials met with four major U.S. television networks in New York earlier this year, but turned down pitches from CBS due to their high costs.

Tourism Deputy Minister David MacKenzie and Tourism P.E.I. Marketing Director Brenda Gallant traveled to New York City in February to meet with NBC and the Golf Channel and negotiate media ad buys during optimal air times.

While in town, they also met with ABC and CBS.

In an interview with The Guardian, Gallant said CBS pitched three proposals for television shows to travel to P.E.I., similar to Live with Regis and Kelly when it filmed episodes of their show in P.E.I.

Gallant would not say what TV shows specifically were pitched by CBS, but would only say they were too expensive compared to the returns they could provide.

"If the amount is too high for the value that we see, we just don't proceed with it, but we do want to keep the doors open because we are very fortunate to have these major networks who are willing to work with us," Gallant said.

This may put to rest speculation the CBS show The Amazing Race may be coming to P.E.I.

There's more, but that's the main portion that relates to a possible visit of TAR to Prince Edward Island.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2012-08-21/article-3057760/Tourism-P.E.I.-turns-down-U.S.-networks-pitches/1?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:10:54 PM by Plaidmoon »

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »

Me neither.  :lol:

If they call me a stalker, I figure I'm doing a good job.  :tup:

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »
The Talk:  Guest Lisa Kudrow ; Phil Keoghan on Aug 24. check this video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5h2NmBPXRXM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5h2NmBPXRXM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

ABACA Hosts 3 Stage Race

Antigua St. John’s - The Antigua & Barbuda Cycling Association (ABACA) resumed its race calendar with the staging of the ABACA 3 Stage Race last Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday’s stages covered 1 and 2, a 5 mile Individual Time Trial and a 30 mile Circuit Race and Sunday morning the staging of the 3rd and final stage – 45 mile Road race.

Robert Marsh won the first stage to earn the Yellow Jersey, producing a time slightly above the 8 minute mark, winning at 9:01, and 9 seconds over his closest rival, Jyme Bridges who was 2nd in a time of 9:10. Andre Simon placed 3rd in a 9:11. Garfield Henry was 4th in a time of 9:25 over Marvin Spencer who was 5th in a time of 9:30 as the top 5 of the A-Class.

Phil, his Father and his brother.

Antigua St. John's - Ashley Rhodes was the best of the B-Class producing a time of 9:45 ahead of St. Claire Williams who placed 2nd in a time of 10:26 and Mervin Gore all of the ESR Cycling Club with the 3rd best time of 10:27.

Tamiko Butler was 4th in a time of 10:28. Lindsay Duffy completed the female course in a time of 11:44. Joel Phillip won the Cadets class with a time of 11:28.

Race leader, Marsh started the 2nd Stage leading by 9 seconds, to defend his lead he cannot be beaten by more than 9 seconds by Bridges if he wants to keep the Yellow Jersey. However, Team Terminix’ Spencer was more determined to take the lead into the final stage.

Spencer made a late move to break away and lead the 2nd stage where he joined Neil Lloyd who was leading the race. The two managed to keep the lead to cross the line in 1 -2 fashion, complementing each other for the cooperation on the stage victory.

Spencer won the 30-mile stage in a time of 1:21.15 slightly ahead of FDICIC sponsored Lloyd who also recorded the same time of 1:21.15.

Bridges was 3rd slightly ahead of the field recording a time of 1:22.22. Simon was 4th ahead of the race leader Marsh who placed 5th in time of 1:22.28. The newly formed ESR cycling club top rider, Marsh loses the general classification lead to Spencer who earned the Yellow Jersey with 48 seconds on his closest rival.

Rhodes retained his lead at the end of the 2nd stage when he won the stage. Rhodes completes the 24-mile course in a time of 1:05.58. Tesheed Gordon was 2nd to move up in the general classification as well as Butler who placed 3rd. Edward Henry and St Claire Williams was 4th and 5th respectively. Duffy completed the 12-mile female course in a time of 37:40. Joel Phillip maintained his lead in the Cadet category to easily win the 2nd stage over Nigel Fabian whilst Conroy Thomas kept his lead over Dexter Simmons in the Sports Class.

The 48-mile 3rd Stage was filled with excitement from competitive nature and race leader, Spencer had to pull out all his stops to defend the Yellow Jersey against Lloyd started the stage in 2nd overall, with Bridges, Marsh and Simon following. Several attempts were made to dethrone the race leader but Spencer was too strong for the favourites to beat him by any margin to take off the time he had on them.

However, Lloyd lost his 2nd position after 30 miles into the race, creating a jostling for the 2nd spot. Simon broke away from the small group of race leaders to lead and win the 3rd and final stage. Simon completed the course in a time of 2:09.32 followed by Godfrey Pollydore and Bridges, respectively. Spencer and Marsh were 4th and 5th in time of 2:09.36.

Spencer of Team Terminix maintained his lead to win the ABACA 3 Stage Race in the best time of 3 hours 40 seconds. 27. Bridges took 2nd place at a total time of 3:41.07 and Marsh 3rd in a time of 3:41.10.

Tesheed Gordon of the Rattlers Club overtook Ashley Rhodes of ESR in the final stage to win the B-Class. Gordon won the B-Class in an overall time of 3:28.32, Rhodes placed 2nd in a total time of 3:28.44 and Butler was 3rd in a time of 3:30.35. Duffy completed the three stages in a total time of 2:07.16. Joel Phillip won the Cadet Class over Nigel Fabian whilst Conroy Thomas beat Dexter Simmons in the Sports Class.

The Antigua & Barbuda Cycling Association’s event was graced with the presence of celebrity movie and TV show superstar, Phil Keoghan.

Keoghan, on vacation with his family, participated in Sunday’s event and placed 10th in the 45-miler gaining fame and on the island where he started his love for the sport when he was living in Antigua as child.

He also donated cycling jerseys to the association to be extended to the registered beginner riders of the association.

Philip John "Phil" Keoghan is a New Zealand-born television personality, best known for hosting the U.S. version of The Amazing Race on CBS, since its 2001 debut.

Read more: http://www.caribarena.com/antigua/sport/more-sports/101397-abaca-hosts-3-stage-race.html#ixzz24Qze7DXD

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »
^^It is a re-run I think.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »
^^It is a re-run I think.

Ahh, I thought it's new run. Anyway. Thanks.

Offline bc922

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
CBS ANNOUNCES THE CAST FOR THE 21ST INSTALLMENT OF THE EIGHT-TIME EMMY AWARD-WINNING SERIES “THE AMAZING RACE”

This Season’s Cast Includes a Heavy Metal Rocker, a Double Amputee Professional Snowboarder, a World Champion Lumberjack, “The Fabulous Beekman Boys” and Chippendales Dancers

In a Series First, This Season’s Teams Have the Opportunity to Win the Largest Grand Prize Ever, $2 Million Dollars

CHEAT TWEET: The #AmazingRace returns 9/30 w/ Chippendales dancers, a heavy metal rocker, a double amputee, & the biggest twist ever http://bit.ly/TtFnpM

CBS announced today the 11 teams that will travel the world on a global adventure for the new season of THE AMAZING RACE, premiering Sunday, Sept. 30 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Emmy Award nominee Phil Keoghan is the host.

THE AMAZING RACE has won the Emmy Award for “Outstanding Reality-Competition Program” eight times in the past nine years.

This season, which marks the 21st race around the world for the series, will introduce a new twist to the game that will raise the stakes for the entire season. If the Team that wins the first leg of the season can outrace the other 10 Teams and win the final leg of the Race, they will double their money and win a $2 million grand prize instead of $1 million.

Teams will travel through three continents, nine countries and cover more than 25,000 miles, where they’ll be faced with a 10-story rappel in Los Angeles, frying an egg on their heads in Indonesia, working as “rat collectors” in Bangladesh and revisiting one of the Race’s most infamous Roadblocks in the Netherlands in this season’s “Switchback.”

This season’s cast includes a pair of Chippendales dancers, married monster truckers, a world champion lumberjack, a double amputee professional snowboarder and Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Brent Ridge (“The Fabulous Beekman Boys”).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
Emmys 2012: The 'Amazing Race' Creator Feared Cancellation Until Their First Win
9:13 AM PDT 9/12/2012 by Michael O'Connell

"The Amazing Race""No matter how many miles anybody has traveled, Bert will say he's traveled more," host Phil Keoghan, who's circumnavigated the globe at least 21 times, says of boss and E.P. Bertram van Munster.
This story first appeared in the Sept. 21 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

CBS' globe-trotting alternative to traditional unscripted fare -- where teams of two compete in challenges in a race toward an exotic finish line -- has taken the outstanding reality competition prize eight of nine times since the category was introduced in 2003. It's a feat many attribute to the series' more classy approach to an often muddy genre.

"It's a family show," says executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer. "You can watch it with your 5-year-old and your grandparents."

Jonathan Littman, Bruckheimer's production partner, remembers how easy it was to sell the idea of their costly show. "CBS got it right away," he recalls. "Staying on the air was more of a challenge. We went cycle to cycle for a few years. That first Emmy made us harder to cancel."

Despite the accolades and consistent ratings (including a 3.3 average among adults 18-to-49 last season), series co-creators and spouses Elise Doganieri and Bertram van Munster were unsure about the show's future. "I didn't quit my job until the second season," says Doganieri, who came from advertising.

Now she and van Munster have circumnavigated the globe during each of the show's 21 cycles. "But no matter how many miles anybody has traveled, Bert will say he's traveled more," says Phil Keoghan, who received his fourth Emmy nomination as host this year.

It's a bragging right that also can sound exhausting. Keoghan once was stuck in a Ukrainian detention facility until the U.S. ambassador -- a fan of the show -- had him sprung. All this is a far cry from Hollywood, and that's one of the reasons the Amazing Race team believes the show is still on the air. "You can put new faces on a soundstage, but you're ultimately looking at the same thing," says Keoghan.

"On Amazing Race, you never see anything twice." With 11 international iterations (including The Amazing Race Philippines), the series has a far-flung group of dedicated alums. "When we get the Emmy, we get texts from people around the world," says van Munster. "People in Africa, Russia and Asia all say, 'We won!' "

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emmys-2012-the-amazing-race-creator-bertram-van-munster-369687
RFF's Golden Rule: