Author Topic: Bill Spencer's Finale Photos!  (Read 33363 times)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Bill Spencer's Finale Photos!
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 04:48:53 PM »
It does seem that either 1) R/D took less time to get rigged to descend or 2) were speed demons descending.

I know that at least in earlier season they have had fixed times for the rigging and safety briefing. That is when teams arrive the clock start ticking and they may not start ascending until a certain number of minutes have passed. That is so that nobody is tempted to skimp on the safety briefing.

I assume the same procedure still applies.

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 08:01:04 PM »
Amazing pictures!  Thank you, Bill.  Texas Lady, thanks for organizing them so well. :hrt:

Just speculation: I have been wondering if there was anything about Sand Island Beach Park that was supposed to be discovered by the racers before descending.  That could explain a difference in their time spent up top, if R&B took longer to figure it out than R&D did.  :duno:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
When they arrive on the scene it took them about 20 minutes to get geared up. Once the reach the top they appear to change gear for the descent. On the way down they are wearing those pads and things that they don't have on the way up. They may even have to change their harness.

It does seem that either 1) R/D took less time to get rigged to descend or 2) were speed demons descending.

10:47 D/R finished climb, 11:33 seen departing
11:00 B/R finished climb, 11:42 rachel still descending (3 floors to go)

Only 4 minutes to finish the descent and get out of the rigging and leave to equal D/R time.

bcp19,

I think you may have misinterpreted some of the data from Bill Spencer's timeline as sorted out by Texas Lady.

The way I look at it, we know that Rachel and David were both of top by 1147. However, we do not know when they actually started down. There is an indication that they left at 1133.

They arrived 9 minutes before Rachel and Brendon. Rachel and David reached the top at 1101 so they lost about 4 minutes in rigging and ascent. We do not know precisely when Rachel and Brendon finished their descent and were able to leave. What we do know is that it had to be several minutes after 1142 since Rachel was still 3 floors above the ground and she still had to unrig from her harness. This means that Rachel and David did indeed gain a little time on this task vs. Rachel and Brendon.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
Amazing pictures!  Thank you, Bill.  Texas Lady, thanks for organizing them so well. :hrt:

Just speculation: I have been wondering if there was anything about Sand Island Beach Park that was supposed to be discovered by the racers before descending.  That could explain a difference in their time spent up top, if R&B took longer to figure it out than R&D did.  :duno:

We don't know; but in the picture number 20 Rachel B. seems to be looking at some place.  But maybe she was just watching the landscape.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »
Since we have to do something until tomorrow night, here are some shots with closeups of the clue and something Dave and Brendon are reading, instructions?
(Sorry I couldn't get them as clear and large as RachelB's.)

(RachelB)

(Dave)

(Brendon)

(JJ)
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
So they get a route info card and a sheet with 10 lines of directions. That is a lot of instructions for a simple climb up and over task. Maybe there is more to it. boston_jen's theory is interesting.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
So they get a route info card and a sheet with 10 lines of directions. That is a lot of instructions for a simple climb up and over task. Maybe there is more to it. boston_jen's theory is interesting.

We don't know; but in the picture number 20 Rachel B. seems to be looking at some place.  But maybe she was just watching the landscape.

If it possible to see Sand Island Beach Park from the face of the tower they were doing the climbing - again, watch Rachel B. in picture 20 -, boston_jen could have hit the bull's eye.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR/Surv/BB/?? junkie ;)
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »

If it possible to see Sand Island Beach Park from the face of the tower they were doing the climbing - again, watch Rachel B. in picture 20 -, boston_jen could have hit the bull's eye.
They should not have the sand island park clue until they get to the bottom, so doubtful she is looking for the next area.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 11:30:17 PM »

They should not have the sand island park clue until they get to the bottom, so doubtful she is looking for the next area.

We're talking about TexasLady's closeups of pictures 3 (Davechel), 7 (Brenchel) and 47 (Art & JJ).

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »
Thank you Bill!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR/Surv/BB/?? junkie ;)
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 12:11:58 AM »

We're talking about TexasLady's closeups of pictures 3 (Davechel), 7 (Brenchel) and 47 (Art & JJ).
So, you are thinking something like when they go up in a structure and have to look around to find a marker to the next location.  I can only think of one thing to refute that, and that is the 4 square press photo showing D/R reading the clue while Dave is taking off the gloves from the rappel.  If the teams knew where they were headed from looking around, why stop to read a clue after the decent?  Also, using pic 63/64, the only way these pictures could have been taken is if the photographer was facing south and west from the northern tower, this would mean the teams would be ascending the east side of the southern building, and would be unable to see Sand Island until they were on the top.  Chances are she was looking at Diamond Head, which would be an awesome view from there.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
Let me add my thanks to Bill Spencer for what I think is the best series of photographs an outsider has ever managed to take of a task on TAR, especially a finale.

The time stamps are an outstanding resource for this; while we've had similar time elements from some episodes involving ascent or descent equipment in the past; it's never been this clear cut (even though we know less about Art-JJ than the other two teams.

A schnauzer bark for a job well done by both Bill and TexasLady!
-- theschnauzers

Offline bear

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »
Let me add my thanks to Bill Spencer for what I think is the best series of photographs an outsider has ever managed to take of a task on TAR, especially a finale.

The time stamps are an outstanding resource for this; while we've had similar time elements from some episodes involving ascent or descent equipment in the past; it's never been this clear cut (even though we know less about Art-JJ than the other two teams.

you talk about time stamps on the photos but I don't see any..........could you please explain?

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2012, 12:41:40 AM »

So, you are thinking something like when they go up in a structure and have to look around to find a marker to the next location.  I can only think of one thing to refute that, and that is the 4 square press photo showing D/R reading the clue while Dave is taking off the gloves from the rappel.  If the teams knew where they were headed from looking around, why stop to read a clue after the decent?  Also, using pic 63/64, the only way these pictures could have been taken is if the photographer was facing south and west from the northern tower, this would mean the teams would be ascending the east side of the southern building, and would be unable to see Sand Island until they were on the top.  Chances are she was looking at Diamond Head, which would be an awesome view from there.

That's why I used the "if" and the "could".
So it's probable that, as I said in my reply after boston_jen post "she was just watching the landscape"

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012, 12:49:34 AM »

you talk about time stamps on the photos but I don't see any..........could you please explain?

From the first set of posts from Georgiapeach on the first page of this thread:
TEXASLADY'S FABULOUS TIMELINE/EXIF DATA SUMMARY:

* = a Bill Spencer favorite

Photo #   Racer/Racers   EXIF Time   Description

4317   Helicopter   10:08:57   
*4323   Rachel/Dave   10:13:14   Rachel and Dave enter
*4424   Rachel/Dave   10:13:31   Briefing, Rachel with Clue
4328   Rachel B   10:14:21   Rachel on scale
4341   Rachel B   10:21:31   Rachel ready
4344   Dave   10:23:33   Dave being rigged up
4346   Rachel/Brendon   10:26:06   Rachel and Brendon enter the courtyard
4349   Rachel/Dave   10:26:49   Rachel /Dave still on ground
4356   Rachel/Brendon   10:33:19   Rachel/Brendon, getting rigged
4358   Rachel/Dave   10:33:52   Starting up
4368   Dave   10:35:46   Dave  moving on up
4369   Rachel B   10:36:03   Rachel below Dave
4374   Dave   10:37:24   Dave-near top of last set of shutters
4375   Rachel B   10:37:29   Rachel below Dave
4386   Dave/Rachel   10:39:03   Both, nearing the top
4392   Dave/Rachel   10:39:43   Rachel caught up with Dave (he waited)
4395   Dave   10:40:53   Dave nearing the top
4397   Dave/Rachel   10:41:39   Dave almost at the top
4400   Dave   10:42:23   Dave inches from the top
4402   Rachel B   10:42:42   Rachel even with the last set of shutters
4405   Rachel/Brendon   10:44:32   Starting ascent, past the 1st part of bldg.
4412   Brendon   10:45:36   1/3 of the way up?
4413   3rd Helicopter   10:45:46   
4414   Brendon   10:45:53   Looking up
4416   Rachel B   10:46:05   Nearing the top
4417   Rachel B   10:46:21   Almost there
4418   Rachel B   10:46:33   Few more feet to go
4421   Rachel B   10:47:19   On top
4422   Brendon   10:47:30   1/2 way?
4424   Rachel R   10:47:38   Just below Brendon
4427   Brendon/Rachel   10:48:08   Comparison shot
4430   Brendon/Rachel   10:48:34   Rachel passes Brendon
4434   Rachel/Brendon   10:50:34   Rachel nearing the top level
4441   Rachel/Brendon   10:54:55   Close-up of both, nearing the top level
4448   Rachel R   10:57:18   Climbing to the top, workers and rigging
4449   Rachel R   10:57:35   Standing at the top
4451   4th Helicopter   10:58:12   
4452   Rachel /Rachel   10:58:47   Rachel B being filmed on right
4455   Brendon   10:59:58   Brendon nearing top
4456   Brendon   11:00:18   Better shot of him climbing to platform
4457   Brendon/Rachel   11:00:44   Brendon & Crew, Rachel on the deck
4458   Camera Crew   11:03:33   Off to the left of the scaffolding. R/D?
4459   Art/JJ   11:04:30   Entering courtyard
4460   Art/JJ   11:04:41   Briefing?
4461   Art/JJ   11:05/27   Weighing in
4462   Art/JJ   11:27:29   Ascending the building
*4467   Art/JJ   11:29:01   Close-up
4472   Art/JJ   11:30:44   Long shot of building and progress
*4473   Art/JJ   11:31:51   Long shot -
4476   Dave/Rachel   11:33:03   Leaving?
4477   Brendon/Rachel   11:34:55   Preparing to descend
*4482   Brendon/Rachel   11:37:40   Preparing to descend
4484   Brendon   11:38:30   Preparing to jump
4485   Brendon   11:38:40   Jumping off
4486   Brendon   11:38:45   Descending face forward
4490   Brendon/Rachel   11:39:00   Descending, Rachel at top
4493   Brendon   11:39:41   End of the overhang,
4498   Brendon   11:40:25   Still descending
4499   Rachel R   11:40:32   Descending
*4503   Rachel R   11:40:56   In distress, crying out?
4518   Rachel R   11:41:51   Nearing the bottom
4521   Rachel R   11:42:20   3 floors to go
L1050664.JPG   Building   09:38:35   Long shot, (Leica camera)
L1050656   Rainbow   09:40:40   Landscape view
-- theschnauzers

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 03:14:53 AM »
Thanks Bill. This just proves that Vanessa & Ralph don't make it!!  :wohoo:  :conf:  :yess:

Offline cattychic

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 07:22:32 AM »
Thx Bill , and HOW COOL to be a small part of the race. I hope the race goes through Baltimore or Annapolis next season and the great detectives here at RFF get a heads up before they arrive so I can chase them around all day taking pictures . WOW , that would be sooo exciting. Ya never know , it could happen.

Offline cattychic

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »

Thx Bill , and HOW COOL to be a small part of the race. I hope the race goes through Baltimore or Annapolis next season and the great detectives here at RFF get a heads up before they arrive so I can chase them around all day taking pictures . WOW , that would be sooo exciting. Ya never know , it could happen.

Not going to happen now,because the cats out of the bag.  :lol:

:'(

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »

If it is already planned they wouldn't change it because of that :lol: They still start in LA year after year despite the fact that Chateau lives at LAX :lol:

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »

If it is already planned they wouldn't change it because of that :lol: They still start in LA year after year despite the fact that Chateau lives at LAX :lol:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 08:17:41 PM »

That's why I used the "if" and the "could".
So it's probable that, as I said in my reply after boston_jen post "she was just watching the landscape"

We were right!  :yess: :yess: :yess: :yess: :yess:

Offline bspencer

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Newbie
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2012, 11:08:06 PM »
Aloha All!

I am so thrilled that you enjoyed my photos.  Mahalo for your thanks!

It is probably moot by now, as the show has already aired in the east coast, but the teams went up the east side of the building and could not see Sand Island until they got to the top.  The first team and third team repelled down the south side of the building so I did not get shots of them, only the second team went down the north side of the building.  I didn't happen to get any shots of sand island that day other than the part you can see in the rainbow photo.

As far as I could tell they were all given enveloped to ready before the ascent.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Again, glad you liked the photos.

Warmest Aloha,

Bill Spencer
Honolulu, Hawaii

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 11:22:09 PM »
Aloha Bill! The photos were fantastic, thank you so much for sharing them, and I'm sure there will be a lot of questions for you.

Welcome to RFF!  :bigwelcome
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2012, 11:29:15 PM »
Aloha All!

I am so thrilled that you enjoyed my photos.  Mahalo for your thanks!

It is probably moot by now, as the show has already aired in the east coast, but the teams went up the east side of the building and could not see Sand Island until they got to the top.  The first team and third team repelled down the south side of the building so I did not get shots of them, only the second team went down the north side of the building.  I didn't happen to get any shots of sand island that day other than the part you can see in the rainbow photo.

As far as I could tell they were all given enveloped to ready before the ascent.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Again, glad you liked the photos.

Warmest Aloha,

Bill Spencer
Honolulu, Hawaii

:ty3: :yourock:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2012, 06:44:06 AM »
:bigwelcome Bill!!