Author Topic: Where's all the snow and ice?  (Read 6226 times)

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Where's all the snow and ice?
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:32:26 AM »
As I still can't start a topic on another forum and another race forum is run like a dictatorship this is definitely the place for me to start a topic  :)

So...why aren't there varied climates in this season?  I've looked at some classic past seasons, and they could go from a hot climate to a really cold one.  They are really restricting the number of countries now, even staying in places for 2 legs instead of giving us more places and more variety.  Ice climbing, sledging, snow trekking, snow boarding, bob sleigh, huskies...all kinds of things have been done before and added variety to the race.

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Where's all the snow and ice?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »
Well there was snow in Germany, but no snow related tasks

I think TAR17 was awesome because they visited such varied locations - English countryside, Arctic circle, 'Venice of the North', the Middle East, congested Bangladesh, concrete jungle Hong Kong.. so cool

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:46:17 AM »
Yeh there was snow in Germany, but basically in central Europe and not up a mountain.  I do like more varied tasks.  It's nice to have these local work tasks, but I think it needs to be mixed up with some more adventurous sporty outdoor tasks in extreme locations as well.

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:47:17 AM »
TAR18 had the Matterhorn in Switzerland with snowy tasks.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:23:24 AM »
Northern Italy has mountains.  Normally though for snow/ice tasks they've gone to Alaska or Northern Scandinavia. 

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »
We saw a diverse of climate & temperatures this season. Started in summer in South America, then winter in Europe (snowing in Bavaria), then another heat wave in India.
Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 01:30:11 AM »
Winter in Europe is like Winter in America, it isn't that extreme.  The tasks have needed more variety and getting into colder climates or higher altitude could have been part of that.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
We saw a diverse of climate & temperatures this season. Started in summer in South America, then winter in Europe (snowing in Bavaria), then another heat wave in India.

And in odd number seasons (like Season 5, 7 and 11) when they came to Argentina, Chile, Uruguay or Bolivia they do it in winter.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »
I wish they would go to more new places too.  Or when they go to a country again at least go somewhere different there.  They've been to Osaka before, and that place in Tanzania, or the castle in Germany.  It's like they just keep to places they are used to instead of being more daring.

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »
I wish they would go to more new places too.  Or when they go to a country again at least go somewhere different there.  They've been to Osaka before, and that place in Tanzania, or the castle in Germany.  It's like they just keep to places they are used to instead of being more daring.

That has been my top complaint too. We're seeing same places over & over again. This season, instead of Osaka, they could've been to Sapporo where winter festival is celebrated (February). We could've seen some ice sculpting or ice statue decorating tasks or something.
Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
I realized TAR 19 has the worst route. 8 double country legs: Indonesia, Thailand, Malawi, Belgium. And no leg stands out. I don't even remember what the hell happened in the Malawi legs. Oh, the infamous express pass fail of Ernie & Cindy.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »

Well, until this season that the race headed the northwest of Argentina (I don't count the brief time in the RB of TAR2, during the Iguazu Falls leg), they came two times to Buenos Aires (TAR5 and TAR7) and to San Carlos de Bariloche (TAR5, TAR16), one to Mendoza (TAR7) and one to Usuahia (TAR11).  We can say - as you told - that, until this season, they preferred to go to the south of the country and not race though new locations (Argentina has a extended coast, places like Salta in the whole nothwest, our side of Iguazu Falls, more places along the Andes, and the center of the country - that it had been used in TARLA -).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:35:32 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »
I realized TAR 19 has the worst route. 8 double country legs: Indonesia, Thailand, Malawi, Belgium. And no leg stands out. I don't even remember what the hell happened in the Malawi legs. Oh, the infamous express pass fail of Ernie & Cindy.

I haven't seen that season but it sounds bad and really pretty cheap.  How many times have they ended in Hawaii now as well?  Shouldn't be too difficult to change the end point, and there are many famous locations they could use in America as well.

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR/Surv/BB/?? junkie ;)
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »

I haven't seen that season but it sounds bad and really pretty cheap.  How many times have they ended in Hawaii now as well?  Shouldn't be too difficult to change the end point, and there are many famous locations they could use in America as well.
The race has gone through Hawaii enroute to the final city a few times, but I think this is only the second time it was teh final destination.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »

The race has gone through Hawaii enroute to the final city a few times, but I think this is only the second time it was teh final destination.

If you want to try and guess the final city, check locations in Florida, California and Hawaii first. :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »

Two times: season 15 (Tammy and Victor victory) and this season. :tup:

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »

Season 14 actually.

California is really over used. I don't understand why it's been used as starting & finish lines so many many times. Alot of other airports has plenty flight connections like Chicago, NYC, Boston & Miami.
What could be the reason why TAR loves to start or/and end in California?

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »

Season 14 actually.

California is really over used. I don't understand why it's been used as starting & finish lines so many many times. Alot of other airports has plenty flight connections like Chicago, NYC, Boston & Miami.
What could be the reason why TAR loves to start or/and end in California?

Type error in the season (sometimes my fingers run faster than my brain  :lol:)
I remenber seasons who began in N.Y. (TAR1), Florida (TAR2), Seattle (TAR10), Chicago (TAR6) and Denver(TAR9).  I miss them too.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »

In all fairness, the second Thailand leg had to be improvised in 24 hours after plans for a leg in a different country fell through. (I don't know any specifics, but maybe someone else does? The rumors I've heard here are that the un-used country was going to be Laos, but I don't know if there was any proof of that.)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 03:49:10 AM »

They've certainly gone through it a few times near the end, almost like it's a weekend holiday for the staff before it ends lol.

But I wonder why they don't make the final leg a bit more epic and use some of the big landscape, monument or building attractions in the US on the final leg.  They've gone away from that generally on the race it seems, which is a shame.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »
 :duno: To me it seems like the snowy tasks are coming back , soon.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 06:26:16 AM »
They made more of an effort with the tasks in the final leg, which is what you would expect.  But I thought they should have done more in some other legs.  Actually they probably put too much in the final leg, so the leg planning was a bit strange.