Author Topic: TAR 20 Ep 12 "It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires" Hawaii  (Read 126672 times)

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Re: TAR 20 Ep 12 Honolulu,Hawaii
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
Thanks and :bigwelcome to RFF!

Thanks! I have been around for awhile but never posted. Don't know why probably because i forgot my password but just remembered it.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline ITIATT

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »

Thanks! I have been around for awhile but never posted. Don't know why probably because i forgot my password but just remembered it.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

:'( :'( :'(

Offline jacobsk68

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
Don't know if anyone has seen this. Probably already posted but I don't see it in this thread. Phil's interview about the final leg with tv guide.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Finale-Phil-Keoghan-1046967.aspx
thanks for posting the link. Great race so far and hoping for a great finish in Hawaii.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
So here is what we KNOW about the Hawaii leg.

1. Teams arrive on the same flight
2. They proceed directly to One Waterfront Towers and perform the task (At this point Brenchel is about 15 minutes behind Davechel)
3. Teams then go to Sand Island and receive a clue that instructs them to do.... :duno:
4. Rachel gets mad and they start walking quite a ways up the beach while arguing
5. There is a task (probably a RB) involving papa holua
6. There is a task involving rescuing a surfer with a jetski
7. There is a task or transport involving paddleboards
8. There is a task or transport involving helicopters

What we DON'T KNOW:

1. Whether or not there is a second roadblock and whether or not that task is one of the tasks we know about or an unknown task
2. What the task is that Phil tells a team they haven't done
3. The full story of points 3-8 above
Is 1 absolutely known?  I can see the 15 minute delay due to, say, customs/taxis between R/D and R/B arriving at the towers, but I thought I read in the live discussions a couple months back(don't see the all pictures I remember now) that the third team (A/J?) was over an hour after the first 2 at the tower(Memory may be faulty, but I thought at the time concensus was R/D were the 3rd team).  Maybe 6/7 are Detour options(admittedly unlikely since they shy away from final leg detours)?  The person in the water looked like a random person, not a teammate, maybe each person has to perform the detour, like the taxi driving course earlier in the race?

Possible turnaround reasons:  The papa holua run.  You see Art falling off and then pounding the ground, maybe they were supposed to make a full run top to bottom, and one team simply got back on after falling and continued?

I don't remember any evidence of Art and JJ's time. The pictures of them doing the tower task do not have any time info.

I also still do not think that the roadblock taskmaster will hand the team a clue if they did not perform the task correctly. This means that the team has completely missed the RB. It probably also means that the location of that RB is near the finish line.
I don't remember a time in what I read, I remember mention of 2 teams virtually there at the same time, though there was mention that the 2nd team was on the roof for an hour, which appears to have later been refuted, and a mention of 1 team having been there much later(which I cannot now find).  Pictures I remember at the time... 1) Brenchel of course, easy to identify, 2) Art and JJ, only M/M team left, and speculation whether D/R or V/R were there, with general concensus being D/R cause of a red? shirt.  Since this appears to be the 1st task, and due to the timelines involved, IF the 3rd team was that far behind, you'd think they were on a separate flight.

I admit you are correct, they should not receive a clue without having completed it, so that points more to a missed RB.  Scenario: Teams receive a clue telling them "Travel by xxxx(taxi/car/bus/boat) to yyyy and search for your next clue".  Team A arrives and notices a marked path and finds the clue box which directs them to do the RB.  Team A then completes the roadblock and is given a clue telling them something like "Find the windmill to receive your next clue"(similar to detours when a U-Turn is just before the clue box).  Team B arrives and starts searching(missing seeing the marked path), but happen to see team A making a mad dash away from the windmill, so they run over there and find a cluebox, never realizing they got the wrong one.

Ok, I know all of you are going to say I'm wrong and with evidence, but I have to  say it:
Are we sure about Art & JJ position at O.T.W.?  The lack of time reference at the moment they were perfoming the task makes me doubt too.  In my post about the flights from Osaka to Honolulu, I'm remember to talk about a one hour difference in the flights Peach posted.  The first flight arrive at 8.31am. and the last at 9.32am., one hour difference.  Maybe bc19 could be right about this, only that Brenchel and Davechel are the teams one hour behind.  The consensus on the Osaka's leg thread is that Art & JJ won the leg; but we don't know how long was their advantage over the rest of the teams.  And maybe is that advantage what allowed them to catch the first flight meanwhile the other two teams had to travel in the last one.
(Again, just a theory  :duno:)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:57:16 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
Alenaveda,

If a person were to completely throw out the photographic time evidence, it is still possible to ascertain the order that teams completed the climbing task at the condo towers. Careful examination of the photos show the location of the counterweight/counterbalance bags that assisted the racers as they climbed. Before any teams arrived, there are 6 bags tied off at the top of the tower, one to each climbing line. When Rachel/Dave were climbing, only their set of bags were going down. When Brendon/Rachel were climbing.........the R/D bags were at the lowest point and B/R bags were descending and the Art/JJ bags were still at the top. When Art/JJ were climbing, 4 bags were tied off at the lowest point and only one set of bags were descending. I hope this makes sense.

One photographer took pictures of Brendon/Rachel on the descent. He did not take pictures of Rachel/Dave or Art/JJ.....but there were two sets of descending rigs at opposite ends of the building.......as seen in the photographs and he could not physically take picstures of R/D and probably of Art/JJ is they used the same rig as R/D.
Matthew 7:15

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR/Surv/BB/?? junkie ;)
« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »
Ah, I completely missed the counterweights.  I can see all 6 at the top in the promo and none at the top in the pics that have to be Art/JJ.  Thanks for pointing me to that.  Does make you wonder though, if they did win the Osaka leg as suspected, what caused them to be so far behind?

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2012, 01:54:00 AM »
hehehe... from the Bill Spencer's album post, looks like Art/JJ are third to the tower climbing challenge. I hope they stay in that position  }:>
Bring on the 21!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2012, 06:38:40 AM »
For finales these days they usually have all teams on the same flight. It is possible that only one team can do the tower task at a time and there were pull off numbers. This would space teams out a bit.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #208 on: May 05, 2012, 08:12:33 AM »
Ah, I completely missed the counterweights.  I can see all 6 at the top in the promo and none at the top in the pics that have to be Art/JJ.  Thanks for pointing me to that.  Does make you wonder though, if they did win the Osaka leg as suspected, what caused them to be so far behind?

I missed them too.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »
Art & JJ arrived about 50 minutes behind Rachel & David.
It could be bad luck in choosing a line at Customs and Immigration entering Honolulu and the United States. It could also be seating on the aircraft. Most likely it also involved a bad taxi experience from HNL airport to the prior task (if there was one).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:42:18 AM by apskip »

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »
Art & JJ arrived about 50 minutes behind Rachel & David.
It could be bad luck in choosing a line at Customs and Immigration entering Honolulu and the United States. It could also be seating on the aircraft. Most likely it also involved a bad taxi experience from HNL airport to the prior task (if there was one).

Well, if it was some taxi bad experience (it's a 15-20 minutes travel from HNL airport to O.W.T., I found it in Google map), it would be a TAR classic. :groan:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:08:57 AM by Alenaveda »

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2012, 10:19:02 AM »
We've had 9 pages already talking about the finale even though it hasn't aired...
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »
We've had 9 pages already talking about the finale even though it hasn't aired...

And the problem with that is what, SuperTux?

Offline Bluesky

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2012, 12:33:41 PM »

Ha! Ever noticed how much is written about NFL draft picks who are months away from even reporting to training camp?

Nine pages about teams, actually competing, on the final lap, is nothing.

Offline cattychic

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »
Do we know if both team members perform the jetski task ?

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
I believe Rachel B is the only person verified to be on a jetski at this time.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »
I believe Rachel B is the only person verified to be on a jetski at this time.

It and the land surfing are not both roadblocks because double roadblocks never allow the same person to do both.

Offline ITIATT

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2012, 01:45:17 PM »
Tomorrow!  :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo:  but then no amazing race for awhile.  (:;)  (:;) (:;)

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
I'm really curious to see how they actually get to the finish line, the orientation of the finish mat and the eliminated racers makes it look like the racers will have to take a boat across the pond and then run through the trees to get to the finish.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »

Just an FYI, passwords can be reset or we can help with forgotten passwords. We're glad you remembered it.  :)

:wel2
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
I'm really curious to see how they actually get to the finish line, the orientation of the finish mat and the eliminated racers makes it look like the racers will have to take a boat across the pond and then run through the trees to get to the finish.

:duno:

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »

:duno:
If that were the case, then the team turned back would basically have a 0 chance of completing the RB and winning, as they would have to paddle their way back across the pond 2 more times.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »
Is it possible to reach the finish line without going across the pond??

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »
Is it possible to reach the finish line without going across the pond??

Yes, there is a parking lot to the east of the finish line.  Problem, the racers would have to run past the mat and elimanted racers in order to turn around and come running in between them as is normally done.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »
It's a shaky theory...but WHAT IF the team is instructed to finish the RB, and when they get an okay from the judge, they are supposed to paddle board across the pond to the finish line. What if the team that is turned back has to go back and paddle board across the pond instead?

I don't know if this is possible at all, but it could be similar to what happens...Phil said its more complicated than just not doing a task. :duno: