Author Topic: TAR 20 Ep 11 "It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires" Japan  (Read 55224 times)

NoluckBoston

Re: TAR 20 Ep 11 Osaka
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
I am guessing with Sushi Bingo, you get the Letter, but have to identify the type and match it up. No numbers.

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 03:54:37 PM »
 :lol:  Here's a picture of an empty studio at NHK in Shubuya area of Tokyo.  Lights look similar to "rubber chicken" game show studio lights. (but then again, all TV studios may look the same).   ;)

Maybe they fly into Tokyo, do the game show first, then take Shinkansen to Kyoto/Osaka area.  Or maybe not.   :duno:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »
AFTER TRAVELING FIVE CONTINENTS, 22 CITIES AND NEARLY 40,000 MILES, “THE AMAZING RACE” CONCLUDES IN A SPECIAL TWO-HOUR SEASON FINALE ON SUNDAY, MAY 6

CHEAT TWEET: Who will win the most important 1st place finish of their lives? #FinalPitStop #AmazingRace, Sun, 5/6 8-10pmET/PT http://bit.ly/IhqZf1

“It’s a Great Place to Become Millionaires” – The final four Teams battle for the $1 million prize in a grueling two-hour season finale that starts in Japan, where Racers call upon their track skills for an exhausting Japanese game show, and concludes in Hawaii, where Teams hit the waves to put their rescue mission skills to the test, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, May 6 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host. 
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 05:54:05 PM »
:lol:  Here's a picture of an empty studio at NHK in Shubuya area of Tokyo.  Lights look similar to "rubber chicken" game show studio lights. (but then again, all TV studios may look the same).   ;)

Maybe they fly into Tokyo, do the game show first, then take Shinkansen to Kyoto/Osaka area.  Or maybe not.   :duno:

Tarjunkie999,

Your hypothesis is reasonable and that may be what teams did in leg 11, but it's 250 miles from Tokyo to Osaka so I have big questions that the TV game show was filmed in Tokyo.

You inspired me to do additional research. Osaka is a huge metropolitan area (some include Kyoto and Kobe in it; I do) with a 17 million population, not as large as Tokyo but larger than the New York metro area.  It turns out that there are 5 headquarters and/ or studios of TV networks (not stations but networks covering much of Japan) in the city of Osaka:

Television Osaka - 1-2-18, Otemae, Chūō-ku, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture
MBS Studio in USJ - Universal Studios Japan, 1-33, Sakurajima Nichome, Konohana-ku, Osaka-shi
Asai Broadcasting Corp. - 1-30, Fukushima Itchome, Fukushima-ku, Osaka-shi, (Hotarumachi)
Kansai Telecasting Corp. -1-7, Ogimachi Nichome, Kita-ku, Osaka
Yomiuri Telecasting Corp. - 2-33, Shiromi Nichome, Chūō-ku, Osaka-shi

I believe that the game show was filmed in one of the above.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
um.... is it just me or is the Japanese game show host the EXACT same host from the TAR15 Leg 1 RB?!?! im pretty surw its him hahaha

Maybe, but I have a possible alternate hypothesis. Remember Amazing Race Asia 3 episode ROADBLOCK (in the ice bar) "Who is cold and calculating?" there is some probability that this sushi exercise could be similar, with the letters teams earn allowing them to name the next city.

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »
I am not happy with this cliche Japanese game show. It's not even that popular here anymore. That sushi challenge looks really good though.
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »
I am not happy with this cliche Japanese game show. It's not even that popular here anymore. That sushi challenge looks really good though.
Is that show in EP11 a famous Japanese game show or just a temporary show prepared for this leg?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
Is that show in EP11 a famous Japanese game show or just a temporary show prepared for this leg?

It's a made up game show for the race. Just like the Wasabi roulette. This challenge looks more fun than the wasabi though. I wish if they want to make a Japanese game show task. It's as fun as Takeshi's castle.
Choroneko used Splash

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
um.... is it just me or is the Japanese game show host the EXACT same host from the TAR15 Leg 1 RB?!?! im pretty surw its him hahaha

Maybe, but I have a possible alternate hypothesis. Remember Amazing Race Asia 3 episode ROADBLOCK (in the ice bar) "Who is cold and calculating?" there is some probability that this sushi exercise could be similar, with the letters teams earn allowing them to name the next city.

did you miss my comparison photo from the previous page?
it is the same host.

Bring on the 21!

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »

did you miss my comparison photo from the previous page?
it is the same host.

Even wearing very similar clothes.  :lol:
Choroneko used Splash

Offline paridy

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Reality TV Guru
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 02:15:29 PM »
Thanks! Promo is now up in post 2 here and in the Hawaii thread.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:16:20 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »
 :lol: looked at a ton of pictures of kaiten sushi (conveyor belt sushi) restaurants in Japan, and one thing stands out, namely NOT a lot of places with hygenic plate covers

Recently Kura Corporation successfully deployed such a system in their (Kura Sushi) Restaurants.

Safe to say that Brenchel are at a Kura Sushi shop.  Your guess if it's in Kyoto, Osaka, or whereever.   :lol:

Interesting links:  Kaiten Sushi primerKura Corporation hygenic plate cover info

Learned one thing:  Color of plate determines if item contains wasabi   :lol3:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 03:55:14 PM »
We have belt sushi here in LA too. 

The color of the plate determines the price of the sushi here. 

The plates are covered too but it is not the cool clam shell lid style.  It's a clear cover that comes with the plate and you just take it off at your table.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 08:36:09 PM »
This shot of the mat was taken here.  The shot of Vanessa  & Ralph was taken while are on their way to the the mat about 200 feet away.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

NoluckBoston

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »
One thing I noticed is the difference in Vanessa's outfits between these caps.

and this cap which is over in the Hawaii string.

I think what happens is told in this photo

She must struggle with the task, and In that lower right photo gets the courage by Ralph to continue. She take off the sweatshirt and that's why we see her other shirt. Here in ability to complete this task quickly, will the the cause of there elimination.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 10:35:52 PM »
I took a new look at the mat shot and I need to revise the time estimate I made last December.

This shot was taken between 11:56 am and 12:13 pm (assumes December 18th).

We could also go by the exif data if that is still available and if it can be synchronized with the clock shot at the rail station.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »
And poor Vanessa & Ralph are back quite a bit.

This shot was taken between 2:29 and 2:44 pm (assumes December 18th).

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 11:00:45 PM »
Sushi Bingo!

Thank all of YOU! I couldn't figure out this out and it was bugging me.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
I think Vanessa's ankle injury could get them in trouble at the game show...

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 12:35:14 AM »
Finale title quote is "It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires"..

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
 :lol: We probably know this already, but Brenchel are running in the Inner Bailey of Osaka Castle Park (vidcap #41 #71).

Osaka Castle Park map

Inner Bailey building pic #1 (former Osaka City Museum)

Inner Bailey building pic #2 (former Osaka City Museum)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:00:32 PM by TarJunkie999 »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 06:32:14 PM »
There is a clip on cbs.com of Art doing the Osaka roadblock. He has to grab three chickens and then make it to the end of the conveyor. You don't have to do all of that in one try though. There are obviously no other teams with them and they are in first at the time.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Kelsey_x

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »
There is a clip on cbs.com of Art doing the Osaka roadblock. He has to grab three chickens and then make it to the end of the conveyor. You don't have to do all of that in one try though. There are obviously no other teams with them and they are in first at the time.

I can't see the clip because I am Canadian, is there a possibility they are in last and the other three teams have already gone?

Offline bc922

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
I can't see the clip because I am Canadian, is there a possibility they are in last and the other three teams have already gone?

The chickens in the other lanes are all still hanging so the other three teams have yet to arrive at the task

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
The host is American actor Arnold Chun. There are probably many Japanese actors who could manage the role, but for some reason they've flown him over twice (nice gig if you can get it) so he could sport an accent and a quizmaster's outfit.
On a different topic, can anyone help with the signs? With any luck we can pinpoint them.