Author Topic: TAR 20 Ep 10 " I Need Hair To Be Pretty" (Cochin, India)  (Read 103530 times)

Offline cougarspy

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: TAR 20 Ep 10 " I Need Hair To Be Pretty" (Cochin, India)
« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »
We know Brenchel arrive at FF, but since it required shaved heads after stacking 150 bales of hay, they opt out of FF before doing anything.

Huh?? ???

Oops!  Under the influence of prescribed heavy duty narcotics since Friday surgery. 

The hay bail was
See above, there is a paper with instructions, typically for a Fast Forward, and the Fast Forward instructions for the hay stacking below.
on page 2 of this forum.

It mind melded with this FF.  My apologize.   At least I found where I got it.

Thank you for pointing this out georgiapeach!

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
It's sketchy, but could Mopper have it at the Speed Bump? :duno:

They definitely get it eventually:

Looking at the sand(which is same as beach sand) and the raised highway tells me that they are close to a major Bridge and still in the coastal area. Also, with respect to the relative location of other teams Art&JJ at Mattanchery and Ralph&Vanessa south of that  doing the coir work , i think this speed Bump is somewhere south of Mattanchery near one of the Aroor Bridges(there are several of them and it's not easy to pinpoint which one due to lack of clues).

There are shadows when Mark and Bopper do the Speedbump.  Perhaps Chateau can work the magic to predict the time of day this was taken.   It would also help determine if it was an extended RB of 24 hours, instead of 12 or 18.

Order of finish last leg was:
Dave/Rachel
Benchel
art/JJ
minute behind them Vanessa/Ralph - on mat together.
Bopper/Mark, approximately 3 hours behind Dave/Rachel.

It's daylight (overcast) when Dave/Rachel receive a greeting and get a clue/dots from high priest which would indicate a 24 hour pit stop unless Hoh.  I feel extended pit stop.

Vanessa falling/Ralph could be them racing to go after FF since they aren't to far behind Brenchel at Pitstart. 

We know Brenchel arrive at FF, but since it required shaved heads after stacking 150 bales of hay, they opt out of FF before doing anything.  That's why they catch up with Vanessa/Ralph, Art/JJ at RB.  This would lead me to believe RB was before Detour, but I have no proof of that.

We know Mark/Bopper are doing speed bump and the skies are blue with clouds.  It would indicate some time later than the overcast skies when Dave/Rachel started the race leading again to an extended 24 hour pit start time.

Now the big question comes up even though I've been watching faithfully since Season 1, when teams receive the clue that a FF is available, do they know if it is used yet, or do they have to go to FF location to find that out.  I think the later.

Would Mark/Bopper feel that Brenchel or Vanessa/Ralph went for it so would not even try, or would they take a chance?

I guess you refer with "dots" to the bindi in team members foreheads.  If it's right, you're wrong.  The High Priest is giving a clue to teams after they completed Detour "B", and there's a cap of Art performig this Detour with the bindi, and from Rachel & Bendon on the other Detour when you can also see the bindi in her forehead. So the bindi is previous to their meeting.

The hay stacking was the FF that Dave & Rachel won in Azerbaiijan (leg 6), this FF requires only that members of the teams shave their heads (as in TAR2, TAR5 and TAR7).

I also think - as you do - that RB is probably the first task of the leg, the same way it happened in the two previous FF of the season (Italy and Azerbaijan), and Rachel facial gesture at the RB could be because she had an argument with Brendon about the reasons of not doing the FF (remember all the drama in Italy's leg), or for being catched up by all the other teams behind them at the RB.

According to this, you're wrong with the spec that Vanessa's fall was in route to the FF:  you can see her in the clips walking without problems at the RB.

About Mark & Bopper, if the SB is before the first task, they could take a shot on the FF when they return with the pack, if they saw all the others teams still doing the RB.

And the only way to know if a FF is taken, is to going to the location of it.  Remember Nick and Vicki in Season 17, and their confusion with the "Fast Forward taken" post in the door of the FF's place, after Nat & Kat won it.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:44:07 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
Chateau,

I have detailed my rationale for deriving a markedly different date , Dec. 14 vs. your Dec. 12, for the beginning of leg 10 in India. Please see the AR20 Transport thread for that information. I realize that the impact of a 2 day change in when those photos took place is not really material for the time of day analysis.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »
Actually, I used December 12th because of what I found in the Transport tread last night.  That and my error of getting locked on 12 and forgetting that they would have landed the next day!   :groan: 

So I should have used, and would have used if I was awake, December 13th for the Solar calcs.

And, you're right, two days is not going to change my time estimates especially that close to December 20th when all the variations bottom out.

But how come there is a one-day disagreement in the timeline?  Dr. Rox said there that they left Africa on December 12th.  I'm curious to go see what you've come up with.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:24:05 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
Okay, so we agree that the first India leg finished up on December 13th.  That's what those pit stop checkin pictures are for.  So the date assumption I used is one day off.  And that error came from my not paying attention when I went to collect the date.

What happens on December 14th is the checkin for the second India leg.  And we don't have pictures of that yet!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2012, 06:04:45 PM »
Chateau, if you have a chance before the episode airs, this might be the week to see if you can place the time of day for some of the vid caps of the various teams at the tasks for this upcoming leg (especially Mark and Bopper and some of the other teams who are performing the tasks outside in daylight. It might tell us whether there was an HOO used or just an odd-length pit stop, since all of the tasks appear to be in daylight.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2012, 06:48:15 PM »
Actually, I used December 12th because of what I found in the Transport tread last night.  That and my error of getting locked on 12 and forgetting that they would have landed the next day!   :groan: 

So I should have used, and would have used if I was awake, December 13th for the Solar calcs.

And, you're right, two days is not going to change my time estimates especially that close to December 20th when all the variations bottom out.

But how come there is a one-day disagreement in the timeline?  Dr. Rox said there that they left Africa on December 12th.  I'm curious to go see what you've come up with.

First, I agree with Dr. Rox on leaving Arusha on the morning of Dec. 12. This does assume an extended pit stop in Tanzania, which I consider to be an eminently reasonable assumption.

A more interesting assumption is whether there is another extended pit stop in India. There may or may not be. Since I assumed in my timeline that there was no extended pit stop in the Kochi area, the implications of that are to reach Japan such that departure on Dec. 18 and arrival on Dec. 18 is what happens.

If you assume that there is an extended pit stop in the Kochi area and also an extended pit stop in Osaka (which I consider based on past experience to be a no-brainer), then the departure date and arrival date is Dec. 19.   

Offline cougarspy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »
I actually thought Leg 9 would have been a "To be continued leg" since Leg 10 is in the same city, but then Phil said it was a "Non-Elimination Leg".  Is it possible that they continued racing since the PitStop 9 times for most racers were in the morning?  I'm not good at lights/shadows, but is this something RFF has already considered?  That instead of an extended pitstop, to have no pit stop rest time?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »
That is what a keep on racing leg is, so no, we would not have had confessionals then, and we would have known.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cougarspy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »
That is what a keep on racing leg is, so no, we would not have had confessionals then, and we would have known.

Thanks for the confirmation georgiapeach, so they will be taking a rest period.

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
Great eye WP! The FF clue has to be from this episode, as racers are required to turn in all clues before leaving the Pitstop.

peach, you beat me to it.  yes the clues are all from this episode.  all teams are indeed required to turn everything in.  it also lightens their load as they travel.  imagine if they had to keep all their clues with them? CONFUSING!!

I would want to keep a few souvenirs...is that accepted? :lol:

NOPE!!! They do not get to keep a single thing from the race.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2012, 12:14:31 AM »
Great eye WP! The FF clue has to be from this episode, as racers are required to turn in all clues before leaving the Pitstop.

peach, you beat me to it.  yes the clues are all from this episode.  all teams are indeed required to turn everything in.  it also lightens their load as they travel.  imagine if they had to keep all their clues with them? CONFUSING!!

I would want to keep a few souvenirs...is that accepted? :lol:

NOPE!!! They do not get to keep a single thing from the race.

Sure they do. Maybe not supposed to, but oh yes.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline jacobsk68

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
In order to get to Japan for the next leg, the best option is for the teams to catch a flight via Singapore either from Cochin(COK) or Trivandrum(TRV). Tiger Airways  and Silk Airways  flies from both cities. Silk Air seems to have daily flights from COK, but every other day from TRV. So I guess the departing Airport most probably is COK. They could also connect through BOM, MAA or CMB from COK or TRV, but COK has more  outbound flights compared to TRV.  BOM and CMB also have direct flights to Tokyo, but not many, so teams may not choose that route. The best route for the team is thru SIN, due to large number of flights to TYO. 

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2012, 12:28:23 PM »
In order to get to Japan for the next leg, the best option is for the teams to catch a flight via Singapore either from Cochin(COK) or Trivandrum(TRV). Tiger Airways  and Silk Airways  flies from both cities. Silk Air seems to have daily flights from COK, but every other day from TRV. So I guess the departing Airport most probably is COK. They could also connect through BOM, MAA or CMB from COK or TRV, but COK has more  outbound flights compared to TRV.  BOM and CMB also have direct flights to Tokyo, but not many, so teams may not choose that route. The best route for the team is thru SIN, due to large number of flights to TYO. 

JACOBSK68,

You are a newbie and have already established yourself as a valuable resource, so my remarks here have been tempered by that. We have an AR20 TRANSPORT for issues like this. Use of a past leg's thread is not recommended. Airline information belongs in the AR20 TRANSPORT thread

On the specifics of what you indicate, let's start with the departure airport. With tasks reported to be not more than 35 miles from Kochi, the chances of departure from Trivandrum airport are minimal as it's schedule in most directions tends to mirror that of COK.

On the specifics of connecting cities, I did a very broad search of possibilities (I might have missed some but not important ones). I concluded that this is the optimal route from Kochi to Osaka, with actual flight times adjusted to reflect Dec. 17 based on the high probability that there was an extended pit stop in India as well as one in Osaka:

KOCHI to OSAKA FLIGHTS on Dec. 17, 2011

COK BOM AI682 0800 1015 or  9W2112 0850 1037

17 Dec. BOM BKK 9W68 1315 1921

17 Dec. BKK KIX TG622 2322 0632+1 

If you can come up with actual flight combinations for Dec. 17 departing from Kochi not before 630am and arriving Osaka in an earlier time zone before 630am (actual total transit time 20.5 hours), please demonstrate it.

The problem with your hypothesis lies in India with few flights Kochi to Chennai and poor connections from there to Singapore. The fact that there are a plethora of flights SIN KIX is not very important in the greater scheme of things.

Offline cattychic

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #189 on: April 29, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »
Maybe Chateau could use his software that can estimate the time of day and apply it to the caps from this episode and give us some estimated time's that the teams are doing these task's. :please: :please:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #190 on: April 29, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
In order to do that he needs the EXACT location first. I think we only have the old spice market for sure, right?

And it isn't software so much as his wonderful skills!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:42:05 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »

Thank you SO much for trying!! The more help the better!

Here is the link to the transport thread where we are discussing this more:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,26553.0.html

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #192 on: April 29, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »
Okay, so where is this spice market?

Offline jacobsk68

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #193 on: April 29, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »

JACOBSK68,

You are a newbie and have already established yourself as a valuable resource, so my remarks here have been tempered by that. We have an AR20 TRANSPORT for issues like this. Use of a past leg's thread is not recommended. Airline information belongs in the AR20 TRANSPORT thread

On the specifics of what you indicate, let's start with the departure airport. With tasks reported to be not more than 35 miles from Kochi, the chances of departure from Trivandrum airport are minimal as it's schedule in most directions tends to mirror that of COK.

On the specifics of connecting cities, I did a very broad search of possibilities (I might have missed some but not important ones). I concluded that this is the optimal route from Kochi to Osaka, with actual flight times adjusted to reflect Dec. 17 based on the high probability that there was an extended pit stop in India as well as one in Osaka:

KOCHI to OSAKA FLIGHTS on Dec. 17, 2011

COK BOM AI682 0800 1015 or  9W2112 0850 1037

17 Dec. BOM BKK 9W68 1315 1921

17 Dec. BKK KIX TG622 2322 0632+1 

If you can come up with actual flight combinations for Dec. 17 departing from Kochi not before 630am and arriving Osaka in an earlier time zone before 630am (actual total transit time 20.5 hours), please demonstrate it.

The problem with your hypothesis lies in India with few flights Kochi to Chennai and poor connections from there to Singapore. The fact that there are a plethora of flights SIN KIX is not very important in the greater scheme of things.
Didn't know about the Transport thread.  thanks.

Offline jacobsk68

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2012, 04:16:23 PM »

Thank you SO much for trying!! The more help the better!

Here is the link to the transport thread where we are discussing this more:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,26553.0.html
thanks peach.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
Jacob, can you help us with a map link to the spice market please in Mattanchen?

Chateau can do some time stamps if we can give him the exact location...

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27114.msg745334.html#msg745334

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline cattychic

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
Yes, we need caps for that one there's a lot of stuff in there. Somehow the fact that they continue to dwell on Mopper's woes seems to indicate that they survive again.

Art and JJ pulling boxes on a cart is probably one Detour. (Do the boxes say something about ginger?) And Brenchel riding the elephant and pushing a wheelbarrow of dung is the other option.

What's Vanessa saying? "Tell them to.... ???"

The scene with the Cart and Crates is in "Mattancheri",  Fort Cochin, where they have the spice market and warehouse.

here's  a photo of the building    (in the photo the "sweet" is in blue, they must have painted it in Red recently)
and the article  http://indianjourneys.wordpress.com/2010/09/03/fort-kochi/

Here u go chateau , according to jacobsk68 it is in Mattancheri,  Fort Cochin

Offline jacobsk68

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »
Okay, so where is this spice market?
The spice Market is in Mattanchery in  the town of Fort Cochin which is to the west of Cochin (Kochi). The pit stop, ie. Bolgatty Palace ,on the Bolgatty Island is on the east of Fort Cochin. Most of the buildings there are very old and built by the dutch when they came for spice trading sometime in the 17th century. Kerala is where the  Black pepper came from and there was a huge market for that.

Offline jacobsk68

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
Jacob, can you help us with a map link to the spice market please in Mattanchen?

Chateau can do some time stamps if we can give him the exact location...

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27114.msg745334.html#msg745334
Here's the map, also the the pit stop Bolgatty Palace is to the Northeast of the placemark.
the Spicemarket is on the "bazaar road" and extends into "Jew town road"
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=935&q=Mattancherry+,+Kochi&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x3b086d44dcfc1e83:0x3eef7d7c7a585a14,Mattancherry,+Kerala,+India&gl=us&ei=WbKdT5uhIaTm2QWuvPmHDw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&ved=0CKABELYD
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:40:14 PM by jacobsk68 »

Offline dpe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »
  9°57'28.83"N

76°15'31.59"E