Author Topic: Ep 9 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read post 1!!**  (Read 44228 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: Ep 9 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read post 1!!**
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »
This was an awesome leg and the next one looks even better! :yess:

Who else has memorized that song for the dance? :lol3:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
For location purposes, there was an establishing shot midway through the detour where the field for the cricket is right next to and across a street from the field used for the clutch. We didn't hear anything as to where those two fields are, but its clear the cricket task was in some sort of stadium, as teams had to go through an entrance with steps down from the outside onto the field.
And the hair shaving fast forward in the next leg (assuming that it is a fast forward....look like its third appearance on TAR (after TAR 5, leg 9 in Kolkata, and TAR 7, leg 8 in Jodhpur), which has to be a first for the exact same task in the same country no less; and in the first two appearancces both team members had to be head shaved.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
Next time..

Offline paridy

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Reality TV Guru
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »
quick question, on Mark's last try they had a dancer doing the steps right near the camera guy, did they only do it that one time or had they done it throughout?

Offline jacobsk68

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2012, 10:12:52 PM »
quick question, on Mark's last try they had a dancer doing the steps right near the camera guy, did they only do it that one time or had they done it throughout?
I think they did that for all teams. That's how the do it in Bollywood movies.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »
Oooh, next leg looks interesting!  :jam:

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 12:34:05 AM »
For location purposes, there was an establishing shot midway through the detour where the field for the cricket is right next to and across a street from the field used for the clutch. We didn't hear anything as to where those two fields are, but its clear the cricket task was in some sort of stadium, as teams had to go through an entrance with steps down from the outside onto the field.
And the hair shaving fast forward in the next leg (assuming that it is a fast forward....look like its third appearance on TAR (after TAR 5, leg 9 in Kolkata, and TAR 7, leg 8 in Jodhpur), which has to be a first for the exact same task in the same country no less; and in the first two appearancces both team members had to be head shaved.

It was also an unaired Fast Forward from Season 2, wasn't it?

Closing thoughts on the episode: Art & J.J. are funnier when they don't try to be funny and instead just let it flow (obviously "not trying to be funny" doesn't include when they're jerks). Rachel's voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Dave & Rachel get along great. Vanessa & Ralph are attempting to Andrew & Dan their way to the finish line.

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 01:40:14 AM »

:lol3:
Yeah I can't get it out of my head now..  :colors
Think we need a bollywood dancer smiley here.  :lol:
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 02:16:51 AM »
Dave & Rachel get along great.

Only when they don't show them bickering.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 03:03:54 AM »
Vanessa beats Rachel in a footrace for fourth. :luvya:

i fixed it.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2012, 08:20:32 AM »
Same pitstop as the Amazing Race 3!

??
Close, but no cigar. My information says that the ARA3 pitstop was on Bolgatty Island, but at the Bolgatty Palace. That is clearly different from the Bolgatty Island Resort, which is where the AR20 ep. 9 pitstop is.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »

It was also an unaired Fast Forward from Season 2, wasn't it?

Closing thoughts on the episode: Art & J.J. are funnier when they don't try to be funny and instead just let it flow (obviously "not trying to be funny" doesn't include when they're jerks). Rachel's voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Dave & Rachel get along great. Vanessa & Ralph are attempting to Andrew & Dan their way to the finish line.

The only unused/unaired FAST FORWARD from AR2 that I know of is "climb 268 steps of Po Lin Temple".

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
See how lovely an Indian episode can be <333
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2012, 01:27:45 PM »
Rachel (with Dave) is really so strong at dancing, not only she did it in one try she danced the best during the RB among all racers.

As long as I love M/B I think the non-elimination is kind of weird, Mark clearly should not get the clue with his 12th attempt as it's clear that he still missed some steps or beats in the dance, the judge just gave them the clue out of mercy.  At this point I would think it is because they are toast, but then it turned out that they got saved which bothered me a bit since Mark's dance clearly was not as good as the others.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
I will disagree on that point. Mark had a difficult time with the sequence of dance moves. He was making mistakes on moving his body in the correct direction. I did not think he got a mercy pass on his 12th attempt. I thought he earned it. I doubt that it will matter at this point, as my thoughts on the imminent elimination of Mark and Bopper are posted in another thread (#1040 in spoilers).

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »

:lol3:
Yeah I can't get it out of my head now..  :colors
Think we need a bollywood dancer smiley here.  :lol:

Me too! It's stuck in my head!  :dancer: :ya3:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »
I think they did that for all teams. That's how the do it in Bollywood movies.

I noticed that as well and didn't notice it for the others, maybe it just wasn't shown to us. ??? I was so happy that Mark tried again and that the dance instructor and dancers were so happy for him when he finally got it right. 

Mark looked haggard when he was talking with Phil. Both of them are in bad shape at this stage of the race. I love these two, I wish they had gotten further.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
I'd have to go back and watch again, but IIRC, the editors did not use that particular angle for showing the "coaching" the dance troup during any of the other attempts; but from what I've seen in other contexts it isn't all that unusual in choreographed stage dances to have that, just like in choral music performances or an orchestra there would be a director to keep everyone on the same pace.

It did not look to me that Mark got any pity from that particular task master; the taskmasters for all three tasks were quite strict in this episode.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »
Same pitstop as the Amazing Race 3!

??
Close, but no cigar. My information says that the ARA3 pitstop was on Bolgatty Island, but at the Bolgatty Palace. That is clearly different from the Bolgatty Island Resort, which is where the AR20 ep. 9 pitstop is.

In each season, teams were instructed to go to Bolgatty Palace. One of the Pitstops is in front of the building and the other is behind it.

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2012, 04:46:40 AM »
I will disagree on that point. Mark had a difficult time with the sequence of dance moves. He was making mistakes on moving his body in the correct direction. I did not think he got a mercy pass on his 12th attempt. I thought he earned it. I doubt that it will matter at this point, as my thoughts on the imminent elimination of Mark and Bopper are posted in another thread (#1040 in spoilers).

I am not sure about this.  You clearly see that he could not follow as perfect as the other racers even in his 12th attempt, besides, it feels so strange that after 11 failed attempt, he stopped and wanted to quit but people begged him to try once more, and then he passed it! This is unbelievable, the task is difficult because you would not know what part you did wrongly, they just disapproved without explaining why, so all racers were frustrated.

Maybe they were very far behind, but you just do not know if there is an HoO next leg or other teams would get very lost.  In any case if they don't get eliminated next leg, I would be disappointed by TAR producers of this judgement error.  Don't get me wrong, I really like Mark/Bopper, but I also want the race to be fair.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2012, 05:32:45 AM »
Rachel says it's hard to turn the rickshaw. Dave says it's not. :lol: Dave tries to drive it... Is this Star Wars music? :lol:

The music you hear is 'Ride of the Valkyries' by Richard Wagner. And if you do not understand why that was hilarious in this situation your education is sorely lacking and you should immediately go and watch Apocalypse Now.

Spoiler below:
Show content
This music is used in a very famous scene in the movie Apocalypse Now where a bunch of American helicopters attack a Vietnamese village. They play this music on loudspeakers outside the choppers to further scare the natives. This is also the scene where the famous 'I love the smell of napalm in the morning' line is spoken.

In the movie this is a very strong scene where the choppers rain death and destruction all around, which is in sharp contrast to the auto rickshaw which Dave, who is a helicopter pilot, is driving.

I think the same music was used during the toy helicopter FF in Turin  :lol:

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »

I think it was only for Mark's last attempt. For all the other teams, the blue podium where the dance instructor was showing his steps were occupied by the instrument players.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
You're right AR. It looks like they made this concession for them. Maybe they wanted to avoid someone taking a four hour penalty in a NEL leg.

Show content