Author Topic: Ep 8 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read post 1!!**  (Read 30124 times)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Ep 8 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read post 1!!**
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2012, 09:02:54 PM »
I think the Speed Bump was too difficult.

I agree, especially compared to other Speed Bumps. This one would've taken much more time than running across a field of fireworks (TAR12), sitting in a saunabus or drinking the absinthe (TAR15) and almost all other Speed Bumps, except Kynt & Vyxsin's and Ken & Tina's. :tup:

I don't like how some Speed Bumps tend to be so easy and others waste a lot of time. :(

Marcus and Amani's was pretty hard. But what killed the teachers was their bad performance last time. They were lucky to get to race another leg.
I agree, Nary & Jamie had plenty of opportunities to make up time, but they started 2 hours or so behind the 5th place team. Had they left sooner they probably could have come in 4th this leg. I disagree with your statement about a slide puzzle being hard. I can finish them in about a minute.

As a side note, I know that this leg wasn't an exact replication of the previous, I was just curious if it had ever happened before.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »
While we have had locations near each other serve as pitstops on different Races; I believe Lake Manyara becomes the first location to be officially a pit stop in two different Races (Leg 7 of TAR 5).
And since teams were directed to Mto wa Mbu, (the location of the detour clue which included the same beekeeping task as an option) where they were directed to a specific farm (Margaret's farm) for the beekeeping roadblock. I strongly suspect that this was the specific undisclosed location of the TAR 5 beekeeping detour task; we were never told where that task was specifically. (Peach, if you will recall, that was my theory last week, and although none of the previews gave us enough to work with, I think the episode did.)
There have been a few instances in the past where a location for one type of task on a prior race was used for a different type of task on a later race; and we've had a task recycled in the past when no team did a detour task and it reappeared as a roadblock; or a repeat of a roadblock (ostrich eggs TAR 1, leg 1 and TAR 5, leg 7); and we were never told ezactly where the Lake Manyara "Lookout" was on TAR 5.
-- theschnauzers

NoluckBoston

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »
Even though they were my favorites this season, they were never going to win. Nary and Jamie were part of some weak competition this season.

It will be interesting to see whom from this race, and where they would finish in another All-Star race.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »
 :tu Polaroid!!!

And yay for cattychic finding Karatu!!  :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cattychic

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »
I am soooooo HAPPY Mark and Bopper won  :yess: :cheer: :trampb: :happy:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »
While we have had locations near each other serve as pitstops on different Races; I believe Lake Manyara becomes the first location to be officially a pit stop in two different Races (Leg 7 of TAR 5).
And since teams were directed to Mto wa Mbu, (the location of the detour clue which included the same beekeeping task as an option) where they were directed to a specific farm (Margaret's farm) for the beekeeping roadblock. I strongly suspect that this was the specific undisclosed location of the TAR 5 beekeeping detour task; we were never told where that task was specifically. (Peach, if you will recall, that was my theory last week, and although none of the previews gave us enough to work with, I think the episode did.)
There have been a few instances in the past where a location for one type of task on a prior race was used for a different type of task on a later race; and we've had a task recycled in the past when no team did a detour task and it reappeared as a roadblock; or a repeat of a roadblock (ostrich eggs TAR 1, leg 1 and TAR 5, leg 7); and we were never told ezactly where the Lake Manyara "Lookout" was on TAR 5.

Yes, but we know that:
1. Kibaone (or Kibaoni) was the place of the ostrich egg omelet eating.
2. It was ON FOOT from there to the zipline overlooking Lake Manyara.
3. The elevation there is higher than at Mto Wa Mbu, which was where AR5 started from getting on the public buses.

My original conclusion is that there is NO relationship between the bee place in AR5 ep. 7 and the one in AR20 ep. 8. However, I have kept at this and found the following additional information:

4. The Kibaoni Primary School is located approximately 75 kilometers west of Arusha, about 19 kilometers east of the town of Karatu. Based on knowing that Arusha is 57 miles east of Mto Wa Mbu and Karatu is 13 miles west of Mto Wa Mbu, that would put simultaneously 47 miles west of Mto Wa Mbu and 12 miles east of Karatu. That means Kibaoni  could be just west of Mto Wa Mbu or up to 10 miles east of Mto Wa.
Mbu.

That means no clear determination of where Kibaoni is (and believe me, I have tried hard to locate it on a number of Tanzania maps), but it's obviously close to Mto Wa Mbu. It is stated in AR5 to be a village nearby to Mto Wa Mbu. It would logically be a little south of Mto Wa Mbu to have a zipline and a Lake Manyara Overlook, but its main marker is the Kavishe Hotel.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:15:50 PM by apskip »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »

Yes, but we know that:
1. Kibaone (or Kibaoni) was the place of the ostrich egg omelet eating.
2. It was ON FOOT from there to the zipline overlooking Lake Manyara.
3. The elevation there is higher than at Mto Wa Mbu, which was where AR5 started from getting on the public buses.

So my conclusion is that there is NO relationship between the bee place in AR5 ep. 7 and the one in AR20 ep. 8.

We'll have to disagree then, because we weren't given any information to place the TAR 5 beekeeping detour task in relation to the other task, or to the pit stop location. It was a more common practice in those early seasons to place detour tasks further apart at times than is currently the apparent practice, and for all we know teams decided the beekeeping task was a sufficient distance further away to make the other option more attractive. There is an absence of clarity with that particular location. For that matter, we don't know as of yet how far on foot teams has to go from the roadblock task this episode. We never had a continuous shot of the teams from the roadblock location to the pit stop map, so it isn't possible to make a definite conclusion.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
the schnauzers,

Please look above this and also your latest post to see the additions I made to my earlier post. I have  some additional information on the site of the AR5 ostrich omelet easting task, Kavishe Hotel:

"The Amazing Race crew jetted off to Africa last night, and ended up at Lake Manyara in Tanzania.

Before they arrived at their pit stop, the racers were challenged to eat an entire ostrich egg at the Kavishe Hotel.  Now the Kavishe Hotel didn't look like the sort of place you wanted to spend your dream African safari, but it did look like an authentic African hotel.  While the Kavishe Hotels looked like the perfect place for an ostrich egg eating contest, the lush grounds of the Lake Manyara pit stop were probably more appealing to the weary race participants.

Lake Manyara sits in the midst of a beautiful national park that is peppered with luxury lodges and camps.  Looks like the perfect spot to set up base camp for a safari."

This sheds no additional light on the question "where were the bees?" but I find it interesting.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2012, 02:40:09 PM »
Umm, Mopper didn't win the previous leg

Otherwise it was a procession and the order was kept though.  These African legs seem to cover a very small area, and when they have to travel a distance they are kept close together either on chartered flights or on a leisurely journey in a jeep.  No great navigation needed.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »
I think the Speed Bump was too difficult.

I agree, especially compared to other Speed Bumps. This one would've taken much more time than running across a field of fireworks (TAR12), sitting in a saunabus or drinking the absinthe (TAR15) and almost all other Speed Bumps, except Kynt & Vyxsin's and Ken & Tina's. :tup:

I don't like how some Speed Bumps tend to be so easy and others waste a lot of time. :(

Marcus and Amani's was pretty hard. But what killed the teachers was their bad performance last time. They were lucky to get to race another leg.

But they did finish it, and it probably suited taller people doing that task.  It annoys me more like in TAR17 where you had that couple who where in the docks (in Hong Kong?) trying to find a boat with a particular number and the guy in that team just gave up.  So they took a big penalty and yet also received a non-elimination.  That annoys me far more.  When people persevere like Nary/Jamie or say Kevin and Michael I don't mind if they get spared at all.  I like it then if they are given a chance to get back into it.  Kevin and Michael only had to sit on a block of ice for 10 minutes at their roadblock and I think that leg gave them lots of opportunity to catch up as well.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »
The pit stop for TAR5, Leg 7 was at the Lake Manyaro Lookout Lodge. It is apprximate 5-6 miles west of Mto wa Btu, up on the escarpment above the rift valley. Mto wa Btu and Lake Manyaro sit down in the rift valley. If you have GE and follow the highway west of Mto wa Btu, there is an airstrip and the Serena Hotel. Just to the south the highway makes a very narrow V shape. This is the meeting of the gorge, where they did the zip line, and the rift valley. About a half mile farther west is an un-named village. I suspect that this is the infamous Kibaoni village and Kaviche Hotel, but I have no evidence of that. In the next episode, TAR5, Leg 8........the intro has about 30 seconds of the old E/S/M time with all the teams eating around a large table out on the pool deck with Lake Manyaro in the background. The images from that episode do match the promo photos on the Lake Manyaro Lookout Lodge website, btw.

Btw, I think it was last summer, Neobie posted a GE .kmz file with all the pit stops pinpointed  from TAR1-18. It is very simple to add that file to you GE, to use when you wish. Since he has actually visited most all the pit stop in his quest, they are all very accurate.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:42:51 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2012, 09:56:14 PM »
Wow,Thanks!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.