Author Topic: Should the Yield be brought back?  (Read 6350 times)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Should the Yield be brought back?
« on: April 01, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
In the American version, should the Amazing Race bring back the yield? Do you think the U-Turn and yield could occur in the same season as in some international versions?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: Should the Yield be brought back?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »
I think the U-Turn and Yield should both be used! :hearts:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »
I want the Yield to be present in almost all legs, and u-turn 3 or 4 legs. Just to create more drama, more tension and more placement changes in the race.
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »
I want the Yield to be present in almost all legs, and u-turn 3 or 4 legs. Just to create more drama, more tension and more placement changes in the race.

I would like about 5 yields and u-turns as well, so it would allow the teams to determine the most strategic point to use their yield and U-Turn power (As Phil explains in older seasons).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
I vote for NEVER. I like the racers to control their own destiny!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »

I would like about 5 yields and u-turns as well, so it would allow the teams to determine the most strategic point to use their yield and U-Turn power (As Phil explains in older seasons).

Yeah, 5 are enough since a team can only use yield & u-turn once. It does stimulate the team's strategy towards other teams.
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »
Yes please
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:59:56 AM »
I say yes, but not at the expense of the U-Turn. The number of Yields should be kept to a minimum, and they must do Double Yields (otherwise the Yielded team might have no hope to catch up) but I would like the number of U-Turns (preferably Double U-Turns) to increase. :)
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:21 AM »
Yes. If used smartly, it's a good tool in the race.

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 06:03:08 AM »
I always loved the yield, but i equally love the u-turn, I might even like it a bit better since it gives the targeted team something to do besides stewing in their juices and it means that we can see the lesser preferred detour choice (morse code!).
Probably my favourite yield moments are both of the weavers': singing at one and eating macdonalds at the other, and lyn and karlyn's: overcoming the yield and being so so close to coming in first that leg (maybe if they weren't yielded they could have won >< ).
My hope for the yield is that it doesn't come back to replace the u-turn but that it makes a cameo appearance sometime in the future, like season 16's intersection! (loved it).
I wonder if modern teams are still briefed on the yield prior to the race...

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »
With the U-TURN, I don't see the Yield being useful...

Yield does practically nothing...

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 08:17:11 PM »
on a quasi-similar note, should the single u-turn be brought back? no team has survived it yet...

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
on a quasi-similar note, should the single u-turn be brought back? no team has survived it yet...

I think you provide your own answer there.  Some experiments haven't worked on this show.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »
No Single U-TURN. Prefer it to be Double!

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
Agreed! I prefer two people two be U-Turned so both teams have reasons to fight back into the race..

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 06:39:20 AM »
I think it should be brought back alongside the u-turn.

4 of each during the race. 1 of each should be a blind, 1 of each should be a double ,1 of each should be normal and 1 of each is given with a intersection (ie interseced team must chouse another interseced team).

A team can only use either a Yield OR a U turn once during the race.

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 05:14:12 AM »
Hmm well I haven't been watching the Amazing Race that long - though I did watch an older series with a yield in it.
I much prefer the U-turn (the double one that is, because indeed otherwise the effect on one team is too big) to the (former) yield.

Maybe an element like the yield could be brought back in another form, more or less random and not so much being controlled and dominated only by the strongest players in the race. Sometimes I feel that once teams are in the back of the pack it's hard for them to climb out of that position anymore. Maybe there should be a surprise element that teams can't control such as who ever is 2nd, 4rd, 6th needs to do a 'speedbump' extra task, something like this. Though not sure how seasoned TAR watchers would feel about it.  :lol:

I do think the show might benefit from a few more of these elements just to make it a little less predictable at times who will come out on top (eg last series, the snowboarders kept being number one until the taxidrivers screwed their chances in Panama  :lol3: Didn't always make it interesting to watch imo).

I do agree the yield (in whatever form) in addition to double U-turn(s) would work well on the show. :)
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 06:24:35 AM »
I do think the show might benefit from a few more of these elements just to make it a little less predictable at times who will come out on top (eg last series, the snowboarders kept being number one until the taxidrivers screwed their chances in Panama  :lol3: Didn't always make it interesting to watch imo).

The snowboarders pray to God every night to win! You can't stop that.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »
I don't mind having a Single U-Turn once in a while, although I prefer Doubles.

Taking a look at all the used Single U-Turns:

Lorena & Jason started the fourth leg of TAR12 almost two hours behind, and had no realistic hope of catching up anyway, (since there was no HoO) unless someone made a huge mistake.

Amanda & Kris reached the TAR14 U-Turn in last place anyway, so one would not have expected them to have survived at that point in time.

Kisha & Jen came closest to surviving on TAR14. If they had not gone to the bathroom, they might have survived.

Joe & Heidi were forced to do a VERY tricky Detour option on TAR16. I thought that task seemed way too hard (although I know very little about Morse Code, so I can't be sure) and I think that U-Turn was inappropriately placed.

Carol & Brandy probably were the second closest team to survive (aside from Kisha & Jen).

So of the five properly used Single U-Turns:

2/5 teams reached the U-Turn in last place anyway
1/5 teams were forced to do a really hard task
2/5 teams came reasonably close to survival, and one really should have survived

So after all my unnecessary rambling, :lol: what I'm trying to say is that I don't necessarily believe it is impossible to overcome a Single U-Turn, so I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more (although I definitely prefer Doubles). Only 3 teams have ever been U-Turned and arrived at the U-Turn ahead of at least one other team, and one of those 3 teams almost survived, and another would probably have been relatively close. :)
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥